Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

I prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. Choptle makes me feel ripped off and the spices aren't very good whereas Taco Bell's offerings are at least at a decent price point.

By the way, if any of you Goons are in Charlottesville and want Mexican food, go to El Puerto. Any other place is overrated and overpriced.

Neither Chipotle nor Taco Bell are "Mexican" food. Further, I neither are good "Tex-Mex". I might even venture to say that neither are "food".

Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
More job hunting fun:
I just got dinged from a federal government job because of a "lack of experience on a law review or journal of international trade."

I was an editor on my law review, a fact that appeared on my resume, and I detailed my experience there in my KSA responses.

They haven't responded to my attempt to bring this to their attention.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tetrix posted:

my civ pro exam had a discovery question about the body of a dead dog. Is that discoverable in order examine it? Rule 35 is mental and physical examinations, but that's for parties, not dead dogs.
Wouldn't that just be a tangible thing under FRCP 34?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tetrix posted:

my civ pro exam had a discovery question about the body of a dead dog. Is that discoverable in order examine it? Rule 35 is mental and physical examinations, but that's for parties, not dead dogs.

Huh. Did you end up arguing about Rule 26 and the fact that the body is physical evidence relevant to the case issues?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HooKars posted:

UVA only reserves 40% of it's class for VA students, so it's really not a huge advantage. At least in comparison to schools like UT who reserve 65% of their class to residents and UNC who take 70-75% residents.

I think 40% is huge for a T14. UNC is ranked much lower, while Texas has more than three times the population of Virginia, and has lower admissions standards as well, and Texas residents do have a really big advantage. The other T14 state schools don't have in-state quotas even close to as high as UVA, and residents of those states still have a noticeable, though not huge, advantage.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
pee pee, doo doo, black people dumb, white people dumb,

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So write on sucks. I know its way early but would it be a bad idea to not do whatever crappy journal I get placed with and do an SEC internship instead? None of the journals are relevant to the practice area I'm working in this summer/hope to work in the future.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

fougera posted:

So write on sucks. I know its way early but would it be a bad idea to not do whatever crappy journal I get placed with and do an SEC internship instead? None of the journals are relevant to the practice area I'm working in this summer/hope to work in the future.

Do the SEC internship and we can be regulatory buddies :respek:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

fougera posted:

Journal really is something you should have on your resume if you can help it. Have you sussed out which ones might not require doing a note or which ones might be less work?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Wouldn't that just be a tangible thing under FRCP 34?

Yeah I actually did this. We did discovery last October so I pretty much skimmed all the discovery rules during the exam hoping for something I could argue and this was definitely the best thing. I'm really lucky I happened upon it.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

MoFauxHawk posted:

I think 40% is huge for a T14.

Do you want them to change this just because a random magazine decided they were a good school? Virginia residents definitely have an advantage but in state school land, their quota is relatively tame. I'm pretty sure UVA could make their numbers lower since they're almost entirely privately funded, but a lot of residency statistics are tied to state funding. Schools aren't just going to give that up or make huge changes because US News bumps UCLA, UNC, UT or whoever up into the top 14.

Berkeley "strives to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but offers admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents in order to obtain the ratio they seek" according to their FAQ page -- which seems like it may lead to more than 40% California residents in any given year. #15 UCLA class profiles seem to be around 65% - 70% California Residents. #15 UT takes around 65%. Minnesota seems to keep a 60/40 split like Virginia, Iowa takes around 50%.

Seems like Michigan is really the big outlier at 20%.

(Just to clarify: I thought you meant UVA is lame for taking as many as 40% residents, in which case - they are pretty in line with other schools. But maybe you just don't believe state schools in general should have to take a % of residents, I don't know.)

HooKars fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 18, 2010

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TyChan posted:

I prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. Choptle makes me feel ripped off and the spices aren't very good whereas Taco Bell's offerings are at least at a decent price point.
Me too. If I'm gonna eat some bullshit that doesn't actually count as Mexican food, gimme some real bullshit

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Please complain here!

Nothing like taking the Bar Prep. classes to make you realize you don't know a lot about the law; or rather you did at one point, but you forgot most of it after the exam for the course. And holy hell is there a lot of ground to cover between now and July.

Frankly, it's not that bad right now. It's kind of interesting, but also kind of boring at times. I'm waiting for the hollowing in about another few weeks.

Oh, and fyi you're not allowed to pee during some State Bars.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HooKars posted:

Do you want them to change this just because a random magazine decided they were a good school? Virginia residents definitely have an advantage but in state school land, their quota is relatively tame. I'm pretty sure UVA could make their numbers lower since they're almost entirely privately funded, but a lot of residency statistics are tied to state funding. Schools aren't just going to give that up or make huge changes because US News bumps UCLA, UNC, UT or whoever up into the top 14.

Berkeley "strives to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but offers admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents in order to obtain the ratio they seek" according to their FAQ page -- which seems like it may lead to more than 40% California residents in any given year. #15 UCLA class profiles seem to be around 65% - 70% California Residents. #15 UT takes around 65%. Minnesota seems to keep a 60/40 split like Virginia, Iowa takes around 50%.

Seems like Michigan is really the big outlier at 20%.

(Just to clarify: I thought you meant UVA is lame for taking as many as 40% residents, in which case - they are pretty in line with other schools. But maybe you just don't believe state schools in general should have to take a % of residents, I don't know.)

Of course I'm not saying that the reason it's lame is because some crazy news magazine randomly decided UVA should be in the top 14. I'm saying it because as a T14, UVA has very high standards for non-UVA residents, and has very good job prospects for students coming out of the school, much better and more nationally-applicable than T30 state schools. California again is an enormous state, even bigger than Texas, and Berkeley and UCLA probably get enough applicants from California who have roughly the same GPA/LSAT cominations as non-residents who get in. A large portion of non-residents who get in probably choose other schools. There's a difference between a quota and what percent actually end up getting admitted or matriculating.

Minnesota and Iowa are both good schools, but they're regional schools and they're going to get many more in-state applicants than a school that a large number of people from all over the country apply to and end up attending like UVA. I'm not blaming UVA if they have to do this or lose state funding. I'm saying that an expensive law school with such high standards for out-of-state students and good job prospects all over the country, in a relatively small state, should not have such a high quota for VA residents. Unless there are data that show that VA residents only have a pretty minor advantage when applying.

Edit: I have other arguments I could use too, but this post is already long.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 18, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
from http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/lgl/1745394388.html:

quote:

Law School Student - Draft List of Appeal Issues

Law School Student - Draft List of Appeal Issues
Make 600.00 cash by Monday the May 24, Need list of appeal issues
supporting narriative.
Contact John @ 703 856-6712
Howard County

$600 cold hard cash, AND I can engage in UPL? Where do I sign up?!

See guys, there are jobs out there, for law students no less!!!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Today my boss walked by my office and shouted, "TROUBLE IN TANZANIA, COME TO THE CONFERENCE ROOM!" She wasn't joking.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
boston goons, just had anna's. it was delicious.

tacochat itt

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it because it means I don't have to go in to work until the afternoon.

Don't go to law school.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

Of course I'm not saying that the reason it's lame is because some crazy news magazine randomly decided UVA should be in the top 14. I'm saying it because as a T14, UVA has very high standards for non-UVA residents, and has very good job prospects for students coming out of the school, much better and more nationally-applicable than T30 state schools. California again is an enormous state, even bigger than Texas, and Berkeley and UCLA probably get enough applicants from California who have roughly the same GPA/LSAT cominations as non-residents who get in. A large portion of non-residents who get in probably choose other schools. There's a difference between a quota and what percent actually end up getting admitted or matriculating.

Minnesota and Iowa are both good schools, but they're regional schools and they're going to get many more in-state applicants than a school that a large number of people from all over the country apply to and end up attending like UVA. I'm not blaming UVA if they have to do this or lose state funding. I'm saying that an expensive law school with such high standards for out-of-state students and good job prospects all over the country, in a relatively small state, should not have such a high quota for VA residents. Unless there are data that show that VA residents only have a pretty minor advantage when applying.

Edit: I have other arguments I could use too, but this post is already long.

Something that might affect the ratio is that many U.Va. applicants actually aren't in-state residents from the way most people's common understanding of the term. It's not like they were born or grew up in Virginia there. Many of them are transplants from the DC and Northern Virginia areas who managed to live in Virginia for a year and pass the very bare requirements for in-state status. The actual geographic diversity of the school is slightly higher than those numbers suggest.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

MoFauxHawk posted:

California again is an enormous state, even bigger than Texas, and Berkeley and UCLA probably get enough applicants from California who have roughly the same GPA/LSAT cominations as non-residents who get in.

I get what you're saying but I honestly don't think UVA dumbs down its population that much to meet the numbers and can usually find 150 residents that match their general GPA/LSAT profile. I think this probably has something to do with the fact that even if the state is relatively small population-wise, its population is concentrated in the suburbs of DC where there are a lot of wealthy, educated people. Admission-wise, they never seem to have to reach beyond UVA or William & Mary as far as Virginia feeder schools go. And a lot of my VA friends had better scores than I did (I'm out of state) but UVA won out over other, better schools that many people would have chosen because they got in state tuition at a T14.

You are more likely to get in if you're a VA resident with the right numbers over an out of state person with the right numbers, but I really can't imagine someone with lovely numbers getting in just because they're a resident. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they do, but it didn't seem that way.

As an aside: Does VA has a large Mormon population? I've noticed Brigham Young pretty consistently ranks as one of the top undergrads UVA takes from which seems weird.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

J Miracle posted:

Just had my clinic professor email me and say we "won" our first case, if by "won" you mean "get your application for leave to appeal denied but get the case remanded to correct a minor error in fines."

I'm sure the guy sitting in jail for 4 years, who pleaded guilty to probation violation thinking he'd get 9 months and got slapped with the max instead, must really feel like a winner as he realizes he owes slightly less in court costs.

My crim pro prof did criminal appellate work for a living. He said that very early in his practice, he had to learn to redefine "victory." If a client was serving three life sentences and now he's only serving two, you mark it in the win column and go home.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

HooKars posted:

As an aside: Does VA has a large Mormon population? I've noticed Brigham Young pretty consistently ranks as one of the top undergrads UVA takes from which seems weird.

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/58732/United-States-information-Virginia.html

Does 1.1% of the population count as large for a state outside of Utah?

I think U.Va. Law sucks up a lot of Mormons because it's probably the most socially conservative of all the Top 14 law schools.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Blinkz0rz posted:

tacochat itt

Having an Anna's literally in my place of work is the best part of where I work and it's not even on the HR chart.

Delicious, delicious benefits.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The taco place near where I work makes their own tortillas for the tacos. MMMMMM.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

The taco place near where I work makes their own tortillas for the tacos. MMMMMM.

When properly made, a tortilla can surpass the taco stuffing as a meal..... mmmmm tortillas.

Everyone should come down to Texas, you can get real BBQ (mesquite), real Tex-Mex, and real Mexican food... just saying.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Everyone should come down to Texas, you can get real BBQ (mesquite), real Tex-Mex, and real Mexican food... just saying.

Yeah...

In Austin. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

Please don't put tex-mex and mexican food in the same sentence. Tacos do not have cheese dammit.

Moving further south: Papusas are also amazing

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

nm posted:

Please don't put tex-mex and mexican food in the same sentence. Tacos do not have cheese dammit.

Moving further south: Papusas are also amazing

Moving further south: arepa de perico are delicious

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

7StoryFall posted:

Moving further south: arepa de perico are delicious

Moving further south: penguins are pretty greasy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah, but they pan-fry pretty well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Moving further south: roast quizbork is pretty lamfing

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125223926

Is More School The Right Choice?

Matt Jones wishes he had a career to manage. Right now, he'd take a job even if it didn't make use of his new law degree.

Jones graduated from Michigan State University's law school two years ago and has not been able to find work outside of AmeriCorps, where he worked for several months. He has the financial and emotional support of his family, his fiancee and her family, but he still thinks "many times a day" about how and when he might find a job.

Jones says he's cut back on as many expenses as he could. And he thinks the austerity has also made him a more spiritual person. "That's been a nice source of comfort," he says. "But it hasn't gotten any easier."

"There's been a lot of soul searching, especially in the last six months," he says. "Did I make the right decision going to law school?"

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
no

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Can we stop posting the story about the guy from MSU there's gotta be other cautionary tales from other TTTs

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Who would eat Penguins? Boobies are the better for eating. Just saying.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Can we stop posting the story about the guy from MSU there's gotta be other cautionary tales from other TTTs

yo

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

tacochat itt

have you tried the lengua, i would but i fear risk (hence law school)

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

fougera posted:

Why can't you do both? Isn't the write-on done before your internship starts?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

quote:

Currently in law school and loving it more than I could have ever imagined (this opinion subject to change)! I'm challenged and motivated by my incredible peers and happily overwhelmed by the opportunities available to me. This summer I hope to do some international human rights work and then after that, who knows?

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Everybody bitching about write-ons should just sack up and do it, if you finish the drat thing you've already beat out like 70% of the people that picked up the packet.