Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

cerebral posted:

Yet I'm one of the lucky ones because I have a job.

Ditto on complaining despite having a job. Today was supposed to be the start of a 2 and a half week vacation to study for the bar that the partners in my group knew about since I started and I've reminded that about for over a month. For whatever reason, at the end of last week, I got assigned to make a conformed amendment of like 15 amendments on top of all the poo poo I've been trying to hand off to other people. It's just tedious poo poo but the associate who saved all the old amendments and docs literally saved every single document to "private" so that I can't access it, help desk couldn't access it, his old secretary can't access it... the partner can still access it but she hates me now that I've told her to re-categorize 15 amendments worth of docs and it has taken a ridiculous amount of hours at this point.

I have to go in tomorrow instead of studying and they're shipping me documents so I can be on conference calls while I'm on my "bar study vacation" because no one told me that I was apparently still supposed to be actively working during this "vacation" and I made plans to go to my mom's to study without distractions.

I have never spoken on a conference call in all of my 5ish months here until my week of bar study vacation. Now suddenly I'm a necessity and it's some huge ordeal that I won't be in town.

I'm seriously going to fail the bar, and they're going to be furious when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

It's sick, but hearing stories of people having it worse than I do are the things that keep me going at this point.

Thank you.

Even though there is a solid chance that I'll be fired come Monday because I told one of the partners in charge of "training" me that the insistence of one of the partners in charge of "tormenting" me to file these documents with absolutely no supervision, and no review, and under penalty of perjury, was unethical, and amounted to malpractice, I still feel better hearing your story.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 5, 2011

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

prussian advisor posted:

These are the best kinds of dogs so don't second-guess yourself for a minute.

Also the parking meters you were talking about, what do they take?

Nickles, pennies, and dimes. And if it runs out, the fine is one dollar.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Solomon Grundy posted:

(That was a joke about the Men's Wearhouse slogan: "You are going to like the way you look, I guarantee it.")

It is not the same cost over time, not even close. It is 1/5 the cost, at least. If you gently caress up once with a bespoke suit, it is just as ruined as a Men's Wearhouse horsehair special. Having barfing kids and a very hairy dog around makes good suits a bad investment.

I have no use for a bespoke suit. If I were to try a case in a bespoke suit in my depressed corner of the Midwest, I would totally alienate myself from Joe Sixpack. I would be "putting on airs" and tagged for it.

I was sitting lunch during a trial in my third or fourth year, and listened to the jurors speculate on the cost of the defense lawyer's shoes for about 15 minutes. They hated on the dude and I got my best plaintiff's verdict in my career. I learned from it, and keep a pair of holey scuffed up broughams for trials.

I wear my shittiest, baggiest suits for trial, which are not hard to find at the Wearhouse. I practice in some courthouses with hitching posts for horses, and others with parking meters that don't have slots that will take quarters. I can just see myself showing up in a handmade suit... jesus christ.

Just be careful man, http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/update-motion-to-compel-appropriate-footwear-causes-mistrial/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ersatz posted:

replace entire thread with this post

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Nevermind, now a law firm is paying for it and I won't be living with my mom.
Congrats buddy :glomp:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Posting from the Midwestern Public Interest Law Conference, hosted at Northwestern where there are 2-300 students looking at 20 something organizations, most of which are done with hiring and are just here to chat. I feel that waking up at 5:30 this morning so I could be early in the line for interview lottery was an absolutely good use of my time and I am looking forward to my interview with an organization that has already confirmed they are not looking for 1Ls.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

I wear my shittiest, baggiest suits for trial, which are not hard to find at the Wearhouse. I practice in some courthouses with hitching posts for horses, and others with parking meters that don't have slots that will take quarters. I can just see myself showing up in a handmade suit... jesus christ.

I believe David Boies is also known for doing this.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
X

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 7, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Direwolf posted:

Posting from the Midwestern Public Interest Law Conference, hosted at Northwestern where there are 2-300 students looking at 20 something organizations, most of which are done with hiring and are just here to chat. I feel that waking up at 5:30 this morning so I could be early in the line for interview lottery was an absolutely good use of my time and I am looking forward to my interview with an organization that has already confirmed they are not looking for 1Ls.

From what I understand, all the Public Interest Law Fairs are loving scams. I'm actually working with a group that I found through the NYU PILC Fair and just applied to separately from that while bidding on it for an interview. It is one of two interviews I got, and I got hired outside the PILC fair process. In the interview, he was open about how he had started wanting to keep 5 spots open for the fair, but by the time I was interviewing (3 weeks before the fair) he was down to 1.

Also, I don't know how the Midwestern Conference does it, but apparently a lot of NYU PILC Fair employers were just making offers to resumes they liked, without waiting for the interviews.

Basically what the gently caress.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

The Warszawa posted:

From what I understand, all the Public Interest Law Fairs are loving scams. I'm actually working with a group that I found through the NYU PILC Fair and just applied to separately from that while bidding on it for an interview. It is one of two interviews I got, and I got hired outside the PILC fair process. In the interview, he was open about how he had started wanting to keep 5 spots open for the fair, but by the time I was interviewing (3 weeks before the fair) he was down to 1.

Also, I don't know how the Midwestern Conference does it, but apparently a lot of NYU PILC Fair employers were just making offers to resumes they liked, without waiting for the interviews.

gently caress. gently caress.

I have an interview and an alternate slot for the NYU PILF next week and this makes me think that they're just dicking around the 1Ls and not really hiring.

Maybe our Career Services/Public Interest office is right and you're wrong... but I doubt it

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Warszawa posted:

Government agencies are pretty good about actually wanting to interview people though. We have a Government/PI one. I tried applying directly to an agency in December and they told me to wait until the Fair so hopefully the dude didn't hate me or something.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Omerta posted:

Government agencies are pretty good about actually wanting to interview people though. We have a Government/PI one. I tried applying directly to an agency in December and they told me to wait until the Fair so hopefully the dude didn't hate me or something.

Yeah that seems like it'd be a different deal altogether, especially if they tell you to hold off. I have very limited experience (2 interviews, 1 ding, 1 offer, 1 random unsolicited offer) so don't take my word as gospel.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Baruch, come over to State with me. Just found out that my non-law job will be paying for my apartment, utilities, parking, and weekly maid service.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SWATJester posted:

Baruch, come over to State with me. Just found out that my non-law job will be paying for my apartment, utilities, parking, and weekly maid service.

I'd be coming in as a GS-13, so sure, why not.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SWATJester posted:

Goddamn, I need to pass qep next time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'd be coming in as a GS-13, so sure, why not.

I meant foreign service. Maxes out at FP-4 Step 14 I believe, though you'll certainly be at that rate.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SWATJester posted:

I meant foreign service. Maxes out at FP-4 Step 14 I believe, though you'll certainly be at that rate.

That's a $65k a year paycut.

My rent for the year is only $32k.

No dice.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for submitting earlier 1L legal employment (lol) advice for us patent/IP folk. I'm following everyone's suggestions and applying diligently across the board. Hopefully something will turn out.

I've also come across a summer 1L legal internship at the Berkman Center <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/internships/summer2011_law>. For a variety of reasons, this would be my dream job for the summer barring a corporate or SA position. Currently I'm combing through the website and watching some Youtube vids to get a feel for how best to present myself to the Center. If anyone has any advice on how to tune my credentials and written materials specifically for the Center, I would greatly appreciate your insight. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to put together a writing sample geared towards the research areas of the Center instead of my bizarre crim law based LRW memo, but they do rolling acceptances and apps are due at the end of the month.

In the alternative, I'm all ears for horror stories about the place. I admit that the Center has a bit of a legal panda vibe with all the references to CYBERLAW and DIGITAL blah-blah. I should probably be disabused of my cyber law panda dreams before I get any older and more in debt.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I kind of feel like someone who KNOWS they want to do patent work should spend their 1L summer studying for and taking the patent bar. 1L summer work is hard to come by, and you'll have to take the patent bar eventually anyway so you may as well knock it out then. Plus that will give you a huge advantage over other candidates when you go for 2L summer work.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Honestly I kind of feel like someone who KNOWS they want to do patent work should spend their 1L summer studying for and taking the patent bar. 1L summer work is hard to come by, and you'll have to take the patent bar eventually anyway so you may as well knock it out then. Plus that will give you a huge advantage over other candidates when you go for 2L summer work.
Taking the patent bar prior to 2L OCI is a great idea, but it doesn't take the entire summer. A week or two of study can get you there if you're serious about it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

drat Phantom posted:

I've also come across a summer 1L legal internship at the Berkman Center <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/internships/summer2011_law>. For a variety of reasons, this would be my dream job for the summer barring a corporate or SA position. Currently I'm combing through the website and watching some Youtube vids to get a feel for how best to present myself to the Center. If anyone has any advice on how to tune my credentials and written materials specifically for the Center, I would greatly appreciate your insight. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to put together a writing sample geared towards the research areas of the Center instead of my bizarre crim law based LRW memo, but they do rolling acceptances and apps are due at the end of the month.

I was a Berktern two years ago. It was a blast. Super-competitive, though - they get hundreds and hundreds of apps for a few dozen spots.

I'm not sure what best to do...which, if any, of the projects are you applying for? CMLP? The Clinic? Interop? Herdict? Just tailor your writing to whatever one you choose. Other than that, it's really just going to be your resume. I never asked them that much about the admissions process, but lord knows I pestered them a lot whenever I went to Berkman talks (though I'm not sure if that helped, hurt, or made no difference).

Definitely recommend it though, especially if you're actually interested in cyberlaw/policy. No better place.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Going into patent law (patent scientist/engineer or perhaps patent attorney) after graduating with a bachelors (~3.9 gpa) in Electrical Engineering -

- Good Idea
- OK Idea
- "Are you loving retarded?? GOOD LORD NO" idea

this is ruling out going to law school within the next 2-3 years, would rather get some engineering experience and make money rather then rack up debt with no assurance of a job

Pizer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 6, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pizer posted:

Going into patent law (patent scientist/engineer or perhaps patent attorney) after graduating with a bachelors (~3.9 gpa) in Electrical Engineering -

- Good Idea
- OK Idea

You can become a patent examiner for the feds with all the good poo poo (see a page back or so) without a JD.
Save your cash.

But without law school debt, it sounds awesome.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Pizer posted:

- Good Idea
- OK Idea

this is ruling out going to law school within the next 2-3 years, would rather get some engineering experience and make money rather then rack up debt with no assurance of a job

If this is 3 years out or so, check the state of the legal market then.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pizer posted:

- Good Idea
- OK Idea

Get the engineering experience, because it will make your life a whole lot easier if you decide to come back to law later (you won't though) because you will be 1000% more employable as a patent attorney with the experience.

e: Sort of misread. It's good you're going for the experience, and I agree with the "wait and see what the market is doing in 2-3 years" sentiment.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

Petey posted:

I was a Berktern two years ago. It was a blast. Super-competitive, though - they get hundreds and hundreds of apps for a few dozen spots.

I'm not sure what best to do...which, if any, of the projects are you applying for? CMLP? The Clinic? Interop? Herdict? Just tailor your writing to whatever one you choose. Other than that, it's really just going to be your resume. I never asked them that much about the admissions process, but lord knows I pestered them a lot whenever I went to Berkman talks (though I'm not sure if that helped, hurt, or made no difference).

Definitely recommend it though, especially if you're actually interested in cyberlaw/policy. No better place.

I'm most interested in the Cyberlaw Clinic, and hoping to get on board with any work involving copyrights, patents, and antitrust. My concern is I don't really have prior experience directly keyed towards those areas.

Before law school, I worked as a software engineering intern at a physiological research company for two summers. My exposure to patent law in that setting was hearing some senior scientists gripe about "system and method" patents on useful algorithms.

Last semester, I was too busy trying to get a handle on law school and getting good grades to really pursue those interests.

Considering the rolling deadline, do you think I should just send in my app with as convincing of an interest letter as possible? Or would it be the smarter move to do some more research and hack together a relevant abstract for my writing sample, instead of relying on the crim law based office memo I have now?

And since I feel guilty derailing the thread with 1L summer labor chat, here's a video of a true legal role model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SztDtOKrxM

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

Get the engineering experience, because it will make your life a whole lot easier if you decide to come back to law later (you won't though) because you will be 1000% more employable as a patent attorney with the experience.

e: Sort of misread. It's good you're going for the experience, and I agree with the "wait and see what the market is doing in 2-3 years" sentiment.
Yeah i am pretty much set on the 'get some work experience in engineering first', but I was under the impression that transitioning into patent law, (especially with a solid fallback degree in EE) wasn't that bad of an idea.

The salary for engineers seems to cap in the low six figures whereas patent attorneys or even patent agents can make substantially more. The 'natural' path for engineering advancement after that would seem to be MBA/manager and that isn't really my cup of tea

Ideally I would try to get a job in the field directly but they seem quite hard to come by for new grads.

Pizer fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 6, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pizer posted:

Yeah i am pretty much set on the 'get some work experience in engineering first', but I was under the impression that transitioning into patent law, (especially with a solid fallback degree in EE) wasn't that bad of an idea.

The salary for engineers seems to cap in the low six figures whereas patent attorneys or even patent agents can make substantially more. The 'natural' path for engineering advancement after that would seem to be MBA/manager and that isn't really my cup of tea

Ideally I would try to get a job in the field directly but they seem quite hard to come by for new grads.
That's all pretty much true. Your salary would probably be highly dependent on the size of the firm you end up in, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that you would be doing better salary-wise even at a smallish firm compared to senior-level engineering work. (e: Disclaimer - that's more for associate salaries, I don't know as much about agent salaries but I'm assuming they're pretty close.)

Or I do pretty well for myself, anyway :coolfish:

Another nice thing about going that route is that you don't have to go to law school right away, if you take/pass the patent bar you can start off as an agent and then go to law school later if you really want to.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 6, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

That's a $65k a year paycut.

My rent for the year is only $32k.

No dice.

What rent? Sell your house, stay in embassy-provided corporate housing (or enjoy dat $281/day living per diem and $77/day meals and incidentals)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

drat Phantom posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for submitting earlier 1L legal employment (lol) advice for us patent/IP folk. I'm following everyone's suggestions and applying diligently across the board. Hopefully something will turn out.

In the alternative, I'm all ears for horror stories about the place. I admit that the Center has a bit of a legal panda vibe with all the references to CYBERLAW and DIGITAL blah-blah. I should probably be disabused of my cyber law panda dreams before I get any older and more in debt.

Berkman is panda in theory, not in execution. It's entirely worth your time.

Petey, I gave a round-table talk on cyberlaw and community governance to a summer class from Harvard/Stanford the other day. Jonathan Zittrain and Elizabeth Stark were teaching. Thought you'd appreciate that.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

drat Phantom posted:

I'm most interested in the Cyberlaw Clinic, and hoping to get on board with any work involving copyrights, patents, and antitrust. My concern is I don't really have prior experience directly keyed towards those areas.

Before law school, I worked as a software engineering intern at a physiological research company for two summers. My exposure to patent law in that setting was hearing some senior scientists gripe about "system and method" patents on useful algorithms.

Last semester, I was too busy trying to get a handle on law school and getting good grades to really pursue those interests.

Considering the rolling deadline, do you think I should just send in my app with as convincing of an interest letter as possible? Or would it be the smarter move to do some more research and hack together a relevant abstract for my writing sample, instead of relying on the crim law based office memo I have now?

They just want to see that you can write well. Your software engineering background will likely give you a (small) boost. Just apply.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I was at a friend's birthday last night when some girl told me she wanted to go to law school and was going to the University of New Mexico law school for environmental law.

I asked her how she did on her LSAT and she said "Not well."

I asked her if she had a scholarship and she said "No."

I asked her if she had a guaranteed job and she said "Yes."

So I told her it was ok to go, but to get good grades, and the way to do that was to make your own outline, then toss it out for another person's who was far more anal than you were.

And she told me "I think you underestimate how smart I am."

I :ughh:-ed and she got mad at me.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
I would just like to interrupt this thread to say...

GO PACK GO!

Now back to your regularly scheduled law thread.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

CaptainScraps posted:

was going to the University of New Mexico law school for environmental law.

I asked her if she had a guaranteed job and she said "Yes."

Wait, what kind of guaranteed environmental law job does she have going into law school?

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Pizer posted:

I suppose it depends on where you work as an engineer, but it's not uncommon for an individual contributor type to earn well more than low six figures.

I'd definitely get the experience or at least a graduate degree and then wait a bit to see how you feel about law and what the market is like.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Lilosh posted:

Wait, what kind of guaranteed environmental law job does she have going into law school?

Becoming compost.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Are we sure it's an actual guaranteed job and not "I'm guaranteed to get a job because I'm a unique snowflake"? Because based on everything else she said it certainly sounds like the latter.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

quepasa18 posted:

GO PACK GO!

As a bears fan I'm having a hard time figuring out which team to root for. One team is QB-ed by a rapist and the other team is the Packers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Rokstar posted:

Are we sure it's an actual guaranteed job and not "I'm guaranteed to get a job because I'm a unique snowflake"? Because based on everything else she said it certainly sounds like the latter.

She said "My grandfather is a very influential man in the environmental law world there."

A seriously :ughh: conversation.