Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Sulecrist posted:

This is a real good thread name. I'm going to Duke. I'ma live above HR and we're going to roleplay and drink a lot of Fresca and watch girls in tank tops play tennis and maybe lift some weights what uuuuup

You forgot about the Left 4 Dead 2 playing. Also, do you know which apartment you're in for sure?

Abugadu posted:

Also, last threads' champions:

User -- Posts
JudicialRestraints 716
Ainsley McTree 660
Incredulous Red 475
CaptainScraps 473
evilweasel 463

Hmm, interesting that the two posters I dislike the most have made it into the top 5 for number of posts. Just kidding.

For clarity sake, the two posters I dislike the most are Soothing Vapors and HiddenReplaced.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

I'm going to Emory next year. I've thought about it for months and I can't think of anything I would want to do more even with poo poo the way it is right now. I finished finals yesterday and I'm reading Lubet's trial techniques for fun (again).

On a different note I signed my MPN and took out my first loans. I have to take out 15k a year, scholarship covered the rest and parents are getting my living expenses. Free Gucci.

Where are you from? I grew up in Atlanta and I'm working in the city this summer.

Also, I just finished my paper for my Military Justice class. It was on PMC contractor liability under the UCMJ. I got antsy toward the end and decided to write a fun paragraph. Try to spot all the game references.

HR's Paper posted:

The great expansion in the market of civilian contractors in the last two decades will have a lasting impact on the future of war fighting. Although with the drawdown of U.S. troops in Iraq there is a corresponding drawdown of contractors, the issue of contractor liability will not disappear. Iraq is an example of modern warfare. Some groups have asserted that, although weapons evolve, war never changes. Though there is some truth to that, it is not entirely accurate. In reality, war has changed. The traditional meaning of “Total War” has faded away. No longer are we threatened with total annihilation from a rival superpower, but rather the primary threat the U.S. faces is non-state actors, small radical forces, quite possibly an army of two, and that threat required a change of strategy and tactics. America’s Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines have adapted and modified their operating methods to become more efficient and mobile powers while maintaining the capability to project force on a global scale. These changes have been in part possible through the employment of soldiers of fortune. However, with the dawn of this new war and the employment of private contractors, the legal framework that governs war fighting must adapt.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 7, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defleshed posted:

How did you like the class? I wish we'd had one at Loyola. I ended up just doing a lot of papers on military aspects of whatever law we were studying in my electives.

It has been my favorite class in law school. Although next semester I'm taking National Security which will be co-taught by the professor I had Military Justice with (retired 1 star) and the DJAG of the AF, who is retiring in June. Will be just as awesome or more awesome.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

I can't stop listening to this song. drat you JR.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Napoleon I posted:

Problem: due to my loving up the online application process, I can't apply for Law Review (or any other journal, for that matter).

I seriously doubt that. What the hell did you do?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Nah, not harsh at all. I'd rather get the real answers. I was under the impression that it's not great, but it's certainly a good school. I don't think I wrote it before, but my goal is to work in the tri-state area if that impacts the answers at all

Is Rutgers looked upon favorably at all or what?? I thought Rutgers and Seton were similarly ranked

The tri-state area doing what? Whatever it is you want to do, is it really worth 160k in debt?

Haha, I just looked up Rutgers, I had no idea it was a public school. If you don't get in at Rutgers, you probably shouldn't go to law school. I'm not really sure how to justify spending 100k+ on tuition alone at one of those other schools.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Elotana posted:

There's a law-school-only ceremony that I plan on attending and my parents are driving up for, but a cap and gown rental for JDs was like $500 or something ludicrous like that, and UT is a huge loving university, so I have zero interest in another huge-rear end graduation.

Cap and gown...rental? You don't get to keep it? You pay $500 and you don't get to keep it?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tetrix posted:

I know you guys come here for your BREAKING NEWS

It's Kagan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36967616/ns/politics-supreme_court/

Wow, that's out of left field. I mean I loved The Critic, too, but I didn't think it would get Jon Lovitz on the bench.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

stingray1381 posted:

I downplay how good my job is all the time for all of you.

It's amazing. I will do anything to return to sweet sweet federal employment once I graduate. ANYTHING.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Secret Asian Man posted:

its somebodys special day...

:3:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

Yes, I am you. People, please send double cash.

(Happy Birthday!)

May is just a lawgoon month apparently. Happy birthday to all! Jobs for everyone!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Petey posted:

But having fun in a southern college can be confusing, because many of the students are still wrestling with the freedom college gives them in the context of their hard-right Christian upbringing.

Duke is not a southern college. It's filled with people from the Northeast and West.

TyChan posted:

Low scores must mean the person is an underrepresented minority student?

No, it means they get in at highly ranked schools with lovely test scores. Touchy much?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Today my boss walked by my office and shouted, "TROUBLE IN TANZANIA, COME TO THE CONFERENCE ROOM!" She wasn't joking.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defleshed posted:

Interview for staff attorney position with local government agency tomorrow! I was extremely surprised to hear back from the employer just 30 minutes after emailing my resume. Apparently he was in the Marine Corps back in the day as well. The good ol' boy network strikes again... :3:

Oorah.

Lykourgos posted:

Received a phone call this morning; Chicago just got one more prosecutor! :hist101:

It's bad enough we've got Mexicans taking our jobs, now the loving brits are too!

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

I want to know this too, I've had to use a few tums in the past week.

You know that feeling you get when you work for the Federal Government? The opposite of that.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

billion dollar bitch posted:

How are items two, four, or five "ridiculous"?

ATL is ridiculous and they should be unemployed.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

Find a motion for summary judgment someone else wrote and ape the relevant parts.

Remember when you're at work, plagiarism is encouraged and efficient instead of a bad thing.

The best part of that is whatever he writes, the attorney he gives it to will put their name on it. Last week I wrote something for an attorney where I'm at and she goes, "I just want you to know you did a great job and I didn't have to edit what you wrote other than putting my name on it."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

I hope the gamble of paying sticker for an Ivy League T14 pays off.

Fun Fact: The only students who say "Ivy League law school" are the ones that go to Cornell.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

prussian advisor posted:

Not true, Penn is also notorious for doing this when they aren't clarifying that "no, I don't mean Penn State."

I've never actually met anyone from Penn Law. To me it doesn't really exist. I have interacted with someone from every T14, be it a student or an attorney, but I have not once, EVER, met ANYONE from Penn Law.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

"Who are you to call me at 10:00 AM?"

Really? 10 is too early?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

So, hypothetical.

A judge dislikes us and dislikes our case. Said case involves a matter of pure law to be decided- a contractual interpretation. But it's not a contractual interpretation between the two parties at hand- it's between our client and another party.

Would it really piss the judge off if I filed a dec action against that other party in another venue and tried to use that judgment via collateral estoppel?

Why are you asking a question you should already know the answer to?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

bullshit

Hey Scraps, I'm fine with putting up with your bullshit rambling about malpractice, but please stop talking out of your rear end about employment law.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Roger_Mudd posted:

:drat:

Granted I know nothing about employment law but where did he misspeak?

suggesting SOX whistleblower for reinstatement and the case law around it is not the general rule or use for emoyment termination. When in doubt, Title VII and mcdonnell Douglas. Posting from phone.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

William Munny posted:

Welp, got back 2nd semester grades. (B+,B+,B+,B,B)Got owned by Torts and my Con Law 2 course (should have known Con law would be my undoing) and dropped my cum. gpa down .01 spot. So now I'm at 3.18.

So I'm 99% sure I should be dropping out, correct?

Aren't you a black guy at T14?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I think I may have made a post a couple months ago saying that I had made it through two years of law school in a long term relationship.

Looks like it won't be three.

So glad I only looked for jobs in the market where she said she wanted to live.

Die alone.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

I'm convinced that God just sits up there and laughs at me.

I spent a year and a half in St. Louis - Not a single interview. Last week I broke up with my boyfriend and moved back home this past Saturday. Of course, today a law firm in St. Louis wants to interview me.

I'll still go interview with them but dammit... the timing.

Over the last couple years I've befriended a Duke alum in the market I had been planning on going to (until I broke up with my gf). Monday the alum emails me asking me if I'm free for lunch on Wednesday, because they just had a partner meeting that day and decided they wanted to hire on some class of 2011 folks when they graduate. After lunch the alum directs me to the managing partner's office. Apparently they want to hire me when I graduate...

Hilarious.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

GamingHyena posted:

I have an intern who seems to be uncommonly bad at every task I've given him. This isn't my first intern and I know not to expect much out of law students in terms of actually knowing anything. However, this one fucks up even the simplest research assignments and it takes me lots of time and multiple corrections to get him to make even routine motions ready.

Technically, this shouldn't even be my problem as he is not MY personal intern, but after turning in a few botched assignments every other attorney in the office avoids him like the plague. I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?

What specifically is his failing? Is it something he could fix?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Dear future Emory Lawgoon concerned about diversity: Sonali Chitre

That is all.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

qwertyman posted:

Summer associate 10-week fattening up program over. I have an offer; please tell me why this is a bad thing and why I should feel bad about myself

evilweasel posted:

it's not at all

motherfuckers told me that I had no reason not to worry about getting an offer in my final review so why not just give me the drat thing now so I can relax instead of waiting till next week

Also, it's time for hitting the gym every day to get rid of this gut I've developed.

Finished my 13-week getting ripped as gently caress fed job Friday. I won't know if I have an offer for months, though.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 8, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

Soooo... I got an offer at one of the firms I interviewed at last month!

Everyone have a drink for me. Only took one and a half years.

Congratulations!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Secret Asian Man posted:

i also got an offer. go me

The end is nigh.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mookie posted:

Me too. Snagged one of the first editions.

Hope they have tips for cross-examining The Adultress.

I did not order textbooks for the semester, but I did order this. Also, there's only one left on Amazon now.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

GULC folks: anyone else notice a very sharp uptick in international students this year? Not that I mind, of course, it's just really pronounced this year.

There's more than one GULC student in this thread? Yuck.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

OMG everyone keeps asking questions and the professors won't shut up, halp!!!

I walked out in the middle of a seminar yesterday when it went 1 minute over.

The seminar has 8 people.

It's a round table and I was sitting next to the professor.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

You...you are my new hero in this world.

I ran into someone earlier today from the class:

Her- "Hey, I just want you to know, I respect what you did yesterday, and I wish I had the courage to do it too."

Me- "I was hungry."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

Here's what it's like on the Plaintiff's side:

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Working on X."

"Want to come to a deposition/hearing/whatever instead?"

"Yeah, ok."

"Want a raise?"

"That'd be awesome!"

"Hahahah just kidding, you're going to be poor forever."

Let me run down BIG FED LAW for everyone:

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"Want to come to a deposition/hearing/whatever instead?"

"Sure, we can get lunch at X."

"Want a raise?"

"That'd be awesome!"

"Alright, it's all yours."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Wyatt posted:

I didn't either, until I went to law school.

I don't drink and I'm a 3L.

However, I worked for the feds this summer...and I'm dating a doctor. LIVIN THE 10-8 DREAM.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Aristokles posted:

If you're talking about the USAO, isn't that kind of similar to career suicide, given that they apparently don't hire through the internship?

Not USAO. One of the alphabet soup agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Aristokles posted:

oh, okay, that sounds good. Dare I ask if the position requires a law degree?

It does.