Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that law school should have an entrance interview requirement, where you have to explain to the interviewer why you want to be a lawyer, what kind of law you want to practice, what's your plan to go about it etc etc to weed out the stupid people like me who think "well my undergrad is useless, why not law school next". It would save a lot of pain.

But no, the only question is "did your financial aid come through?"

Everyone would just tell the interviewer that they want to practice international law in a big firm (just like all the personal statements) and would be accepted anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Hot drat, I love me some IzzyFnStradlin! :clint:

I like to imagine that he isn't a troll and that somewhere there is some bi-polar angry guy furiously pounding on his keyboard.

The beauty of these kinds of trolls is that it is entirely plausible to meet this person on your first day of class. Even my section had an outspoken sperger (my diagnosis) who infuriated all of my professors within the first week. I think law school attracts people who want to express their awesome views in front of a bunch of other people.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

The Warp posted:

sigmachiev:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was. She doesn't like her options as far as Law School is concerned, because she's not dumb, but she's hoping she can transfer a notch up after the first year or so.

You will never known what grades you will possibly receive. Take my Spring semester of my 2L year as an example. I put the same amount of effort into every class (ie: jack poo poo until two days before the final) and I came out with two 4 credit A's, a 2 credit B+, and a 3 credit C+. The 3 credit course was one of those Law and International Something where the professor was not impressed with my lack of socratic participation. You are not graded on what you know for the most part.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

newberstein posted:

I thought of that but the problem there is that it makes it sound like I slacked off. I went to all my classes and studied a poo poo load, I just didn't waste my time doing homework. I somehow want to get that across.

You are still saying you slacked off. The difference is Solomon's response makes it sound like you went through a bad period before improving your study habits.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

My brother and I are starting up our meadworks. A hundred bucks of honey is ready to be alcoholized and if it doesn't poison us then we'll start selling; there's exactly 0 competition in the mead market here and hopefully it would at least bring in enough money to keep me from starving while looking for work. Definitely seems like a brighter future than getting rejected from jobs I'd hate doing anyway.

I've actually been considering using my final semester's loans to start a meadery as well. I'm waiting to see if my 15 gallons of mango melomel tastes good or wipes out 1/3 of the school at the next bbq.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Solomon Grundy posted:

If he is going to be a Legal Rebel,™ he also has to fork over the cash for a leather jacket and motorcycle.

I don't know if that is enough to cut it. I'm pretty sure I read in the latest ABA Journal that one of the Legal Rebels™ is counsel for the ruler of Dubai. She's a rebel because she does this from her home in Arkansas and claims she is fostering "socioeconomic and humanitarian projects" over there.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Just pre-ordered Civilization V with extra Babylonian civ today. Good thing I took this thread's advice and scheduled all pass/fail or zero attendance policy!

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

J Miracle posted:

Just registered for my last term of classes....admin law

You just ensured that your last semester of law school will be spent studying one of the most excruciating areas of law. These cases get so boring that the judges writing the opinions sometimes break down into quoting bad movies or comparing ligers to tigons etc. Did you at least take it pass/fail?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Add to the OP that doing DOJ SLIP, best intern, and stellar reviews is still not enough for the honor's program when you go to a T2.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

prussian advisor posted:

Keyboard or a peripheral gamepad?

I got my school's PMF nomination with no issues but you weren't kidding - they really do want an in-person assessment this year. Personal presentation, group project, and a writing assessment? Sounds excruciating.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

prussian advisor posted:

Worst part is, I'm pretty sure this is the first-ever year they've done that, so there's no real way to prepare for it. Have you heard anything more about the process than is on the PMF's website?

My school was only able to refer me to the online assessment prep which is a joke. No one to really ask either based on last year's finalists: 0 from Miami, 2 from UF that didn't receive offers, and 1 from St. Thomas with offer.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Ainsley McTree posted:

people in LF are talking about me?

:allears:

I believe CNN recently used the Something Awful forums as a primary citation. As a T2 law student, I recommend adding that thread to the publication section on your resume.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Anyone have any experience in the recent foreclosure defense craze? Are all law firms that claim they are successful in loan modification full of it? I may have a good in at a commercial litigation/foreclosure defense/loan modification firm but I'd rather know up front if this only involves scamming poor people out of money for impossible loan modifications.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

J Miracle posted:

I was under the impression it was all done on the same day but not the same thing, like you did basically an exam then a presentation then a group project then interview, plus there's a job fair in there somewhere I don't know. I'm just gonna plod along and let them tell me what to do, that's the leadership quality they're looking for I'm sure.

It's not done on the same day. You have to pass the online assessment in order to qualify as a "semi-finalist" which is the in-person presentation. After that you go to the job fair.

Oh yea, being a finalist doesn't guarantee that you will get a job. https://www.pmf.opm.gov/FinalistSortBySchool.aspx

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I will be enjoying my last semester of law school with the following courses: (1) Emotion and the Law; (2) The Wire Seminar. For a fleeting moment I thought about possibly taking Family Law or Business Associations but then I remembered that I'm paying BarBri $2,000. gently caress all of you who won't be writing a 15 page take-home final on Hamsterdam.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Harry Ellis posted:

Do you already have a job lined up? Alternatively, are you resigned to unemployment and just want to enjoy yourself while you can?

It blows my mind that anyone still in law school in this market would be hamstringing themselves with a schedule like this while their more desperate colleagues load up on clinics and other classes that don't scream lazy to would be employers.

I'm working full-time at a civil litigation firm next semester and if that doesn't pan out then I have a guaranteed job in immigration. Employment with a big/mid-size firm has not been available to me since I struck out in 2L OCI. In fact, taking a 4 credit BA course would only limit the amount of hours I could work getting hands-on experience. At this point, real experience as well as time spent networking is far more beneficial than raising my hand in BA.

Immigration is the only field I've experienced where employers actually care if you completed any relevant course work. Everyone else simply focuses on GPA or class rank. I mean if your resume or cover letter can't overcome the stench of laziness on your transcripts then I don't know what to tell you. I know outside of immigration I've never had to list my coursework as the highlights of my resume skill-set.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Direwolf posted:

Would you mind if I sent you some questions? I'm a 1L interested in getting into immigration law and was wondering a few things about the field.

Absolutely just send me a PM. Unfortunately you missed the deadline for DOJ SLIP with their immigration court for your 1L summer but I can walk you through how to get into that position next year.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

billion dollar bitch posted:

I mean when you think about grading, in the absence of case work to do. My professor feels like she has to take up the class time, and then also (pointless) meetings with her, and mock interviews with stupid people who just say "I don't know" to every single loving question. I rue the day I signed up, thinking it would be seven easy credits. How do you grade on this?

Are you in one of those "Street Law" clinics or something? My clinic's grading system was pretty easy - you get an A if you win a Social Security hearing and/or push through successful immigration applications. It also involved all the pointless mock interviews and class time you mentioned so I feel for you if that's your only method of evaluation.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Trip report from a lifestyle firm:

You would think it would be cool but there is a reverse work culture. The pressure seems to not do any work outside of the office and it's looked down upon when done. Really frustrating because I have a ton of work to do and not enough "office time" to do it.

Protip: the grass is always greener

This sounds like the federal government and is easily handled. Do necessary work outside of the office without telling anyone. Put on the appearance that you're going with the company culture by going out to happy hours or 2 hour lunches when invited. Just get your poo poo turned in on time and enjoy not being in slave labor conditions.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Defleshed posted:

Did you see that opening at the ABA I posted about a while back come be a lawyer in a really chill environment in Chicago (also get IBR)

Is anyone here actually on IBR? It's 10 year forgiveness for non-profit/pubic and 25 years for private sector right?

My plan is to go on IBR whether I'm in the public, private, or homeless sectors. In fact, I'm trying to get my financial aid office to take my loans out of deferment while I'm in my last semester of law school so I can make ~8 $0 payments towards the 10 year IBR loan forgiveness - my last semester is part-time, I'll be working at a non-profit, and last year's income on my tax return was -$3,000. I might as well take advantage while my tax returns show I'm one of the poorest people in the US even though I can pay rent with my loans.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

poofactory posted:

gently caress USCIS and their price increases. Every single one of my clients is pushing me to file before the 23rd to avoid the new fees.

Just wait until Friday - most people aren't going to hear about the price increases until then. I'm looking forward to filing I-140's and L-1 visas in 24 hours.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Soothing Vapors posted:

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)

You can rant and rave about law school and have these kids silently consider you a failure or you can tell them the "secret" to succeeding in law school. After giving this speech you are well on your way to building your "law school expert" resume. Here's your competition: http://www.lawschoolexpert.com/ She makes $1,500 for every loser that wants her to edit their personal statement.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Copernic posted:

The manipulative callers UCLAw sends after you make me feel like poo poo. They will do anything, say anything, to get money.

Send them a check for $0.10. Maybe they won't hassle you so much if your name is on the official law school donor list?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

poofactory posted:

Anyone here do consumer bankruptcies? What are the fees like? Are the clients as needy as divorce clients?

Bankruptcy and removal sounds like the ultimate practice. You have two sets of clients: (1) people who bankrupted themselves paying all the government application fees and (2) families who just had their breadwinner deported.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Sophia posted:

@evilweasel

Well, I saw that graphic, but does that hold true for someone whose GPA days are long behind them? Maybe the answer is that they don't distinguish between fresh out of college applicants and those longer in the tooth, but that's what I'm trying to clarify. :)

Your GPA still matters because any law school that accepts you will need to report your GPA and LSAT score to USNWR. The school doesn't care how long ago you graduated from undergrad because your stats still affect their law school ranking.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Kase Im Licht posted:

In addition to Convisier and the outline notes, I would also want to pick up your state essay book, I found flipping through that pretty helpful, and if you've got any random poo poo for your state, see what Barbri has specifically for that. Virginia has a bunch of short answer questions (MC, fill in the blank), and Barbri had a few pages with sample questions. What showed up on the actual exam could be found, word for word, in that handout.

I'm considering going this route because I can't afford to live in Miami if I pay for Barbri courses but I also can't afford to live here if I fail the bar exam. Apparently I can purchase all of the Florida Barbri materials on Ebay for $300-$400 while Barbri will cost $2,300 (I grovelled for a scholarship). There are also rumors that the Florida bar exam is going to be different/more difficult this July.

I loving hate law school. Bar costs should just be included as an additional semester so I'm not tempted to take out a life-ruining private loan.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
University of Miami tries its best to introduce students to the corrupt, flashy culture of South Florida. The ABA Young Lawyers hold open bar events at posh nightclubs where a law student may end up naked in one of the club's swimming pools without the incident being published on Above the Law. Other students will get drunk and disorderly charges at Hurricanes games - the rich will pay to get the charges dismissed, the poor will have their charges dismissed after a cursory pro se defense. Both classes of students will proclaim their victory over injustice on Facebook and take externships at the PD/SA offices. Many job leads have also been found after leaving Scarlett's at 8:00am.

You also get to experience being a URM while in Miami. Some local eateries will sit you in the "gringo" section or a Best Buy employee will feign not understanding English when you start bitching. But this is ok because you can always find someone to "teach you Salsa" or "help with your Spanish" without too much effort.

After the fun ends you will be >$100k in debt and either rich enough to shrug it off or working for $30k/year until IBR forgives your loans. You will also lose your significant other since, unlike the losers buying D&G shades on credit card, your debt doesn't disappear in Chapter 7 filings.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Lemonus posted:

Are there any particular law school scam blogs that are considered the leaders/the most updated etc/ that some gentleman could link me to

Google produces mixed results

One of the most popular is Third Tier Reality. His blog roll links to quite a few others that are updated on a daily basis.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Green Crayons posted:

So not like I was going to get it anyways but if I haven't sent out summer applications yet I'm pretty much hosed, right?

Or do I still have some sort of slim chance?

Yep now you have to act like you are excited about public service otherwise you're not going to have any funding this summer.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I thought I was going to have to go sober this weekend since my loan disbursement hasn't come in yet... but then I opened the mail and was greeted with a Wal-Mart MDL class action settlement check. I'll be sure to pour a little Dogfish Head for ol' Sam Walton tonight!

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Who the gently caress takes out a $15,000 bar loan? I know rent in SD is expensive but come on.

And did I understand correctly that he thought it would be a good idea to take out student loans to put a down payment on a house in San Diego? TJ is like a rancid joke of a law school too, the Cooley of the west. FTG

His intelligence is about on par with the Georgetown administrators that are apparently hired from their own pool of unemployable graduates. Their administrative hires "aren't counted as employed" and they lost track of two alums working in the school. Or the dean from Toledo who wasn't massaging USNWR numbers by moving his losers to part-time status - he was just making sure they didn't fail out of law school (I didn't even know that was possible).

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Cortina posted:

I was pretty appalled at the $15,000 bar loan. All the people I know took out loans in the $2-4,000 range. Admittedly it's much cheaper to live in Texas than San Diego, but still - $15k seems outrageous.

One of my friends got hired back at the Starbucks she worked at before law school. She's legitimately thrilled to be employed again.

That is outrageous. I was stressed at the thought of taking out $4k in bar loans and being stuck with non-IBR loans. Instead, I'll be self-studying and moving in with my girlfriend. At least I can do immigration shitlaw while servicing federal loans.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Feces Starship posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish a highly reputable news source would take up this story with somebody like Linguica as the focus. Normal, sociable human who attended one of the T-14 schools and was on loving law review but had extreme difficulty finding any legal job - that's a profile that would have made me stand up and take note as a college kid.

How many people like Linguica are willing to risk going down in flames to tell their story? Doing anything of the sort invites all the "bootstrap" trolls to harass you incessantly. Based on the responses most students give in any given law school lecture, I'd say that Wallerstein is the cookie cutter representative of the "I don't know what to do with my English degree" law student body. He is the mirror image of all of the study abroad, bottom 50% group of students.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

JamSessionEin posted:

My hunch right now is to go talk to some of the connections I've made at the courthouse and see if I could possibly secure a clerkship for the judge that I interned for earlier. That might pan out, but clerking always seemed like such a bitch job, at least in family division where I was. Is clerking actually worth it in the long run? It feels crazy to me to spend 40 grand a year on law school just to graduate and get a job earning, well, 40 grand a year, but the rationale I constantly hear for it is that it's prestigious and will help you secure more gainful employment down the road.

Any general advice?

Read the New York Times article mentioned a few pages back. Wallerstein is a very good example of what awaits law school graduates not figuring out their employment. Also, as a 3L you should cast aside any thoughts/dreams/online posts about big law firms hiring you. You were excluded from that line of work 1.5 years ago.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Petey posted:

man i just want to know if the players will be able to sue-strap their way into a football season next year.

I hope a new League of Their Own situation comes up. Maybe the loser Dolphins can be replaced by the Miami Caliente who can actually win home games.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Hey guys I have to choose between two 1-credit courses: 1) 10 page paper in 11 pt font; 2) 12 page paper in 12 pt font. Since I wasn't on law review, I have no idea which one requires the least amount of effort.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

nm posted:

UMN let each prof pick their curve.
Which means if your con law prof picked a 3.0 curve and another section pucked a 3.3, you were completely hosed and could never explain it to anyone properly.

I thought this was common across all law schools. At my school there are two kinds of people who take Con Law II: those who take the 3.8 curve, no attendance policy, 50 T/F final course and those who take the 2.7 curve, 4 hour closed book course.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I collected my first judgment today! My old tea-party activist landlord forgot to affirmatively claim homestead exemption against my lien, opting instead for a batshit insane Motion to Reopen. I may be able to afford Barbri after-all!

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Macunaima posted:

IBR allowed me to move from full-time doc-review serfdom to hanging my shingle. Am debating setting up a 501(c)(3) company so that I can get my principal discharged after 10, rather than 25 years. Not sure if it'll work, but haven't found anything that indicates it wouldn't yet.

You have to work full-time at your 501(c)(3) during your 10 years of repayment. Also, you have to remember that the 25 year discharge is counted as taxable income. I believe federal tax liens are just as bad as non-dischargeable student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Macunaima posted:

Discharged debt is not taxed to the extent it had made you insolvent. So for example, if you had X amount of debt forgiven, but only Y for assets, only Y of the discharged debt is subject to tax.

Form 982 covers this.

Alternatively, the federal tax lien would only be about 25% of the non-dischargeable student loan.

Thanks for the clarification! Looks like I'll be leasing cars and renting apartments for the next 25 years.