Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think we have the longest megathread just yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

Lawrence? Since when is 'conlaw' 'buttsex law'

ALL law is buttsex law.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Aschlafly posted:

Little update from the last thread:

3.75/180 with three science majors, and I am officially... waitlisted at Harvard! Yay! I didn't really want to go very badly, anyway. I guess it's back to having panic attacks and figuring out what to do with my life!

Go teach English for a year then reapply.

Edit: to Yale.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Aschlafly posted:

A day after the deadline, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Like I said, I'm having math withdrawal. I was actually accepted to awesome grad school programs for theoretical bio (Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, UCLA) and agreed to go to Berkeley before freaking the gently caress out, going into panic mode, and not communicating with anyone. Maybe law school failure is a sign that I ought to rebuild those burned bridges and give grad school another shot.

Trust me, you're better off this way.

You don't want to know what happens if you blow deadlines as a lawyer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've finally reached a milestone. I've got a giant gently caress-off hearing Monday, final Monday, and a final wednesday. I haven't studied for either of those finals. I'm at work today and popping Tums.

Don't go to law school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

Just wait until you graduate and have a job and there is no celebrating again ever because there is always something billable that you could be doing instead.

Plaintiffs' attorneys celebrate when you win because you finally get to eat.

Practicing's actually kind of fun if you're a contrarian and love to yell "BULLSHIT" at everything served across your desk. At least for the first year.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I answered a policy question in my ADR final with an answer of how civil procedure precluded his question.

But gently caress what he wanted, my answer was right. :colbert:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that law school should have an entrance interview requirement, where you have to explain to the interviewer why you want to be a lawyer, what kind of law you want to practice, what's your plan to go about it etc etc to weed out the stupid people like me who think "well my undergrad is useless, why not law school next". It would save a lot of pain.

My answer was "I'm an rear end in a top hat and I want to get paid for it."

Would that suffice?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm currently working on an 8 hour take-home for my remedies final and I can honestly say that I just don't loving care.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

Today I got to waste over half an hour for a pointless hearing because opposing counsel INSISTED our (very low stakes procedural) agreement be on the record. He could have just sent over an agreement for me to sign which would have been just as binding and saved us all a trip to the courthouse, but of course then he couldn't bill his client for the hearing (and travel to and from the courthouse, and waiting around for the hearing, and talking to his client after the hearing, etc.)

Of course, after the hearing opposing counsel declared that for clarity's sake we should really memorialize our on the record agreement in writing (which he graciously offered to draft). :catdrugs:

In a no-evidence summary judgment with a standing judicial order not to file more paper, I had a judge request more briefing after the hearing.

:ughh:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defleshed posted:

Ok so newb lawyer question here:

Do I need to sue the insurance company of the guy who hit my wife's car (since they declined to pay us to fix the damage) or do I just sue the guy himself and let him worry about his insurance company and what they do? I feel like I know the answer is to just sue the guy, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and do that.

Solo Huckster Chat ITT

Sue the guy and put the company on notice.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

billion dollar bitch posted:

Posner and Easterbrook: which one's the legend, and which one's the god?

"Posner...Posner is a legend. But Easterbrook, Easterbrook is a God."

--Easterbrook's clerk, now a contracts teacher at Northwestern.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I got a job offer today at a small firm which is great. Bad news is he can't match my current salary until I pass the bar (have one year left of school). Is practicing law (something I want to do) worth a 10%-20% haircut?

What field?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'd be hired in as mass tort but as the youngest associate I'd be doing family law, PI, and general business law as needed.

That's rad as poo poo. If you take it and have any questions about Texas PI, I'll help out.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Secret Asian Man posted:

who. or did you just make this up

Litvak. She's new! (ish.)

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

We always try to keep a 1st-3rd year attorney around our office for these sorts of purposes. We call that attorney the office "boy," regardless of gender. That is "boy" as short for "piss boy" a la Mel Brooks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

You'll learn a lot, but a lot of what you will learn will be unpleasant.

Pretty much your job will be arguing with insurance adjusters and sending interrogatories. Have fun.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Secret Asian Man posted:

does anyone ever actually drop out though

I know a girl who dropped out to go to rehab, does that count?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

soj89 posted:

You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

50 multiple choice questions. Open book, open notes, anything you want to bring.

The year before us, a B+ was an 11/50.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tetrix posted:

*checks rules book* You know I bet you could squeeze that under Rule 11 as a very colorable accusation.

No one goes to federal court, silly.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

Civil or criminal?

Civil. Opposing counsel filed a brief to exclude our expert testimony, examining the cited cases on wholly fraudulent grounds- as in outright lying as to what's in them and hoping the judge won't actually read the cases.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm advertising for a legal assistant to highlight stuff for me today on facebook. Paid internship. But you gotta be top 20% or on law review.

With this kind of market I can get that.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

You're about to discover that grades and LR have nothing to do with the quality of a candidate.

Oh, I know. That statement was firmly tongue-in-cheek considering I'm a 3L (now).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

OptimistPrime posted:

So? I had one of those coveted big-firm jobs. I was super busy for a good portion of my time there, and actually made my billable target 10 months into the year. It was miserable, but that's the trade-off you make and I accepted that. Then the client that was responsible for 85% of my billables got pissed at something someone else screwed up, stopped giving us work, and 2 months after that I was canned for a bunch of "performance issues" that had never been mentioned to me before.

Today is the 6-month anniversary of when I found out I was getting canned. Since then, my credentials that managed to get me that job and my experience at the firm has led to all of three interviews and no offers.

Even if you are one of the lucky successful ones, all it does is put you in a position for assholes to run your life, then ruin your career.

And even when you are working, the second you think you're getting the hang of things, something will come along and boot you right in the gut.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

First day at my crim/PI firm job. Got here at 8am, boss showed up at 9am. They use word perfect. There's two clerks, only 1 laptop. Given 3 case files. I don't know what is going on.

Read the case files and familiarize yourself with the fact patterns. Look at the docket control order and see where the case is. Think about what you'd like to know, and then beg the secretary/clerks for form interrogatories/RFD.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

Wanna see some 'spergin? It's "affected" not "effected." Spergers tend to gravitate to law review, so they can argue about affected and effected and sperg out about citation formats.

I've got a guy riding my rear end about stuff like "in regard to" versus "in regards to" and who stated that it's impossible to use parameter outside of a mathematical context and that I should change the word, despite the fact I was quoting the language from the case.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

Any other 3Ls feel like they don't have enough credits left to take all the classes they want, or am I just a freak? I have 19 credits of classes all 3L year and I have a shitload I want to take. I know it won't matter because I'll die alone and penniless anyway, but...arrrggghh.

You're a freak. You're supposed to take classes that are easy or on the bar and then not go to them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Everyone should come down to Texas, you can get real BBQ (mesquite), real Tex-Mex, and real Mexican food... just saying.

Yeah...

In Austin. :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

7StoryFall posted:

Moving further south: arepa de perico are delicious

Moving further south: penguins are pretty greasy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like tacos on FLOUR TORTILLAS

Texas smoked sausage tastes better than that bullshit boudin :colbert:

RICE GOES WITH SAUSAGE, NOT IN SAUSAGE.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

boudin balls beg to differ

Those are just trussed-up arancine, not fried sausage.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 19, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

also all of that poo poo about not talking, refusing consent etc. is good in theory, but say "officer I respectfully choose to exercise my rights, and I refuse to consent to a search" to a cop who wants to arrest you and you will be going to jail regardless. he'll call the K-9 unit. he'll trump up something to arrest you on and do an inventory search. don't matter one bit.

say "go ahead," and maybe he won't find that joint wedged between the seat and the console.

How much legal theory as opposed to factual discovery/argument do you do in criminal work? Criminal work is starting to look appealing because it turns out that in legal malpractice, no one knows what in the gently caress, mainly because there's three different kinds of causation that have to be accounted for

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 20, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incredulous Red posted:

So what does an ulcer feel like?

I want to know this too, I've had to use a few tums in the past week.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Abugadu posted:

I think the #1 tip is not waiting for work to come to you, you need to seek it out. Approach the attorneys to ask for work to do. Seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of summer associates do the whole 'sit there and wait' thing, and it never looks good.

Someone will always have a project that's interesting (or at least less boring than the others). Seek them out, make yourself at least somewhat integral to things on their end.

Local counsel on one of my cases is working the plaintiff's side of the oil spill and it's all I can do to keep from jumping around and yelling "ME ME ME I WANT TO HELP ME OH GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE RICH (even though I don't work for you)."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 21, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diospadre posted:

I wish I could make something that wasn't paper.

You might want to take a laxative then.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

Seriously, life is not over if you pass the bar and have no job IF you have the ability to work for free at a PD/DA/county atty for ~6mo. Working in poo poo law for 6 months may tank your resume. Sitting around until you get a job will hurt. Working in a PD/DA/county attorney (even for free) is a good thing on your resume because you get real experience. And these offices need labor, they just can't afford to pay you. they'll give you good work too, you'll have more jury trials in 6 months than the managing partner at your civil firm.

What qualifies as poo poo law?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is it like that at small firms too? I mean I understand the urgency of work (as I type this at work while not working) but I like having a life.... I mean StarCraft 2 is about to come out!

My impression (back when there were jobs) was that everyone worked in the biglaw meat grinder to pay off loans and then found a reasonable job that didn't destroy their souls? Is it all a sausage factory?

It might depend on which side you're on. Plaintiff's work seems to be in spurts. There are some days we take off early and there are weeks when we work like crazy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

Now how the gently caress do I write this motion for summary judgment? I don't even know my state's rules of civil procedure.

1. If it's a traditional motion, familiarize yourself with the law and the facts. If it's a no-evidence motion (if your state has no-evidence motions, make sure there's been adequate time for discovery), familiarize yourself with the facts.

2. Crib from someone else's poo poo. If it's a matter of law and they've hired interns before, there's a memo somewhere. Also find a motion that was actually filed and look at it.

3. Index your evidence somewhere in the motion. If the motion is big enough, index your authority.

4. If you're doing a statement of facts, try to have a physical piece of evidence for every sentence you write.

5. Inline citations for law, footnotes for attached evidence (style preference).

6. If it's a matter of law, look up the cases they cite, work backwards from the keynotes.

7. Be reader-friendly.

8. Realize they're going to edit the living gently caress out of it and don't get too attached but still do a good job.

If you need some more help, PM me or ask here. God knows I owe guys like GamingHyena, Phil Moscowitz and builds character a loving lot and this way's kinda paying them back (or it forward).

Oh, and find a practice book somewhere. Seriously, they're a godsend. By practice book it's like "[Name's] Rules for Civil Trials" or some poo poo.

TyChan posted:

What kind of practice would just let an intern write a SJ motion?

Small ones and ones that get paid on contingency.

GamingHyena posted:

Are you kidding? I let my interns draft court orders and waivers!

Everything they drafted was terrible not a page they wrote ever never came close to leaving the office. I mostly did it to keep them busy. :ssh:

Don't let them find out, that poo poo's seriously a soul-crusher. Had it happen to me once or twice.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 25, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There are days as a clerk that I feel very valuable and incredibly underpaid and there are days when I feel wholly useless, like today.

Been preppin' a big stack of paper ready to go for a summary judgment hearing, cleared up an incredibly muddled aspect of the law and framed it in our favor, expecting things to be a nasty fight and the judge just goes "gently caress it, MSJ denied. See you at trial [during the week of my finals]."

Welp, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Draile posted:

You're in state court, right? You're going to get a lot of judges who work by feel. Fancy arguments and sparkling citations won't mean a thing.

That's something they don't teach in law school. Noted.