Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp posted:

AmeriCorps VISTA

Thirty-seven million Americans live in poverty. Through AmeriCorps VISTA, you can make a tangible difference. And, you値l find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?

AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 40 years.
What VISTA Members Do

VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and much more. With passion, commitment, and hard work, you値l create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. > Learn more

* Read "VISTA: Overcoming Poverty, Building Capacity" (6.67 MB PDF)

The Benefits of VISTA Service

By serving through VISTA, you値l gain new skills, friends, and experiences用lus you値l get the satisfaction that comes from helping others. During your service, you値l also receive a modest living allowance, health care, and other benefits. And, upon completing your service, you can choose to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend. > Learn more
A Proud History of Service

Did you know that President John F. Kennedy came up with the idea for VISTA? Or that the 170,000 VISTAs who have served since 1965 have played a key role in establishing many of the best-known anti-poverty programs, including Head Start, Upward Bound, and the credit union system? > Learn more
Become a VISTA Sponsor

Public, private, and faith-based nonprofit organizations預s well as local, state and federal organizations幼an benefit greatly from linking up with AmeriCorps VISTA. Applications for members are handled by Corporation State Offices. Project sponsors are not required to provide a financial match but must be able to direct the project, supervise the members, and provide necessary administrative support to complete the goals and objectives of the project. No JDs need apply.> Learn more
Contact Us

drat, that's harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Well, there are two types of family law lawyers.
There are the ones that handle divorces between people with lots of assets and then there is shitlaw.
Most (but not all) family people I've met are actually more bitter and cynical than hardened PDs. That said if you can get in the first category (you need to be able to be very nice to your client and very mean to everyone else), you can make a drat good living.

I've handled plenty of "shitlaw" divorces. I think it gets a bad rap. I mean $2,000 for filing, settlement/jpa plus one court appearance isn't as lovely as some make it out to be. Actually, I think it's an excellent fee.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

I Am Not Clever posted:

I had no idea about any of this doom and gloom. If what you're saying is true, it sounds like the legal profession is in very bad shape in this country. :(

That said, I think I'm still going to go if I have the chance. I have an uncle who is an attorney with his own successful small firm. I wasn't planning on going to him and asking for help, but I can, if I have to. He's probably going to retire in a few years.

Seems like a better prospect than going back to work at Walmart. :(

Don't let these naysayers hold you back dood. They just want to keep all the big money cash cash to themselves.

164 lsat + a JD from a highly respected school = big money.

Why listen to a bunch of anonymous people online who claim that they can't get jobs when you can get the real deal info from the school. Why would the school lie? if theyre lying then why aren't their previous students WHO ARE NOW BIG SHOT LAWYERS suing their asses off?!?!

Maybe itll be tough to get that first job and maybe you'll only start at $10/hour which maybe is the same as walmart and yeah maybe you'll owe $1500/month to access group for the rest of your life but IBR that poo poo and the sky is the limit as a lawyer! Plus even if you go back to walmart after you pass the bar, you'll probably be able to snag some good slip n fall cases and then youre on your way to easy street.

Whats the top salary for a retail slave? $40K? What's the top salary for a lawyer? 1M? 15M? Of course you'll start at the bottom after graduation but after you get some experience, collecting onions, and your salary will easily zip past 80K and then you can save up some cash and open your own office?

You think you're going to open your own walmart after 5 years of being a cashier? gently caress no.

Get your rear end to Clark & Griswald. You'll thank me in three years when the economy is better and you've got a new JD and youve dropped a turd and ran out of TP.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
I'm looking to retire from the law business in the next couple years. How possible is it to sell my practice that would consist of client files, contacts, web site, work product and some lovely used furniture? I can thrown in a secretary and law clerk but can't guarantee they'll stay. Is there a revenue or profit multiple I can apply or is this a pipe dream?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Solomon Grundy posted:

The rule of thumb I heard many years ago was 7X yearly profit. In years past, the occasional PI case would buoy a lot of shaky solo office, and that PI revenue has almost completely dried up. So I suspect that the multiplier has nosedived in recent years. I am aware of an older attorney who sold his practice to a younger attorney for $5,000 about a year ago. It was a shitlaw practice, but it was a longstanding, relatively stable practice.

7x profit sounds really high. Is that before or after I take my salary and other benefits? I would sell right now either way. Business is stable and has steadily increased over the years. I'd say 15% average growth. No PI stuff to skew the numbers.

Roger - Sorry I'm in Chicago. However, it is 90% immigration and only a 1/3 of that is local.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Defleshed posted:

So what you're saying is you want to take on an unemployed Loyola grad (me) and teach him the ropes of immigration law so that I become experienced enough to buy your practice from you. Right? RIGHT?

That and, apparently, a couple million bucks will seal the deal. I will also accept gold in bar or coin form.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

IrritationX posted:

Seriously. There are enough small firms folding up their tents lately that it may be wiser to invest in Michael Vick rookie cards.

I think this better fits the theme of this thread. I'll start the bidding at one hot sandwich.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

amishsexpot posted:

It's 98 degrees out today but... still... so cold... so lonely...

Yes, I deferred for one year and have been taking fashion design classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I'm doing really well and love it, but honestly can't see myself doing this as more than a hobby at this point. I occasionally pump myself up and tell myself I should apply for an actual fashion degree, but the fashion industry is also INCREDIBLY hard to get into and decently paying, non-suicide-inducing positions are apparently very rare. I also don't want to overwork my personal hobby so much that I loving hate doing it.

I am definitely still considering a doctorate in Psychology (PsyD) but loving 5 years of school and even more tuition than I'd pay for law school (= even more student debt) scare the poo poo out of me.

Whoever posted that Fashion Law link for Fordham... that is actually pretty exciting for me as someone who loves fashion and is somewhat interested in intellectual property. v:shobon:v

gently caress everything.

I remember you posted some pics in some other thread and you looked pretty hot. I bet you'd be able to get a decent job out of Fordham just based on looks. /notastalker

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

lipstick thespian posted:

Just got my grades back. 0.5 points away from the highest grade. :qq:

gently caress. MY. LIFE. gently caress IT. I AM UNDONE. :negative:

I was top 11% after 1L and too lazy to write on to law review. That was, like, half a letter grade in one class! gently caress school I'm never going back.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're 25, work a job that gives you a comfortable, debt-free living, and you're worried about your life? C'mon, do you really want to go to law school and take on $100k in debt for the possibility that you might get a job that pays a little more but is more mind-numbing than what you do now?

Figure out what it is that you really want to do in life and go make it happen. You're not poor, you seem like you're probably pretty smart, and I'm sure you have ambitions. Make your own way and succeed or fail on your own terms.

Like Petey said, your parents aren't worried about you, they're worried about how they'll look, so gently caress 'em. Life is too short and there's too much to do in the world to worry about how other people want you to live your life.

$55k is pretty terrible especially if it is in NYC. I'd be looking for other options too.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

quepasa18 posted:

tl;dr: don't go to law school unless you want to be a laywer and work in a law firm.

I went the law school for pretty much the same reason. I was interested in civil rights, not so much being a lawyer, and I wanted to make some money.

I think most people going to law school just don't know what they want to do and they like law school because they can delay life in the real world another three years and live on borrowed money.

Really, what is a psych/soc/art/history major going to do with their degree? It has got to be more school, it just depends on which one.

Law school is a good choice for these people. They just need to control costs. A lawyer with 100K debt is better off than a BA/BS Psych major with 30K debt. Yeah, the market sucks right now but it will get better and most people start off with a lovely job in the beginning no matter what degree type.

I went to a T4 super toilet and I'm doing pretty well. In fact, I'm having my best year ever in this horrible economy. Every once in a while I check out my old classmates and while some are doing poorly, most are doing alright. Some failed the bar, some went back to their pre law school jobs but most are working in law firms. Some even made it to big law.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Me: Ok CL, our court date is 7/15 at 9:00. Try to get there 15 minutes early.
CL: In the morning or at night?
Me: Of course in the morning.
CL: Why not at night?
Me: Is the bank open at 9PM, the post office? DO you work at night?
CL: Yeah I work at night.
Me: ...
Me: loving idiot. Hmm, maybe that isn't so stupid.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Lykourgos posted:

Because it is shameful and low class. If your whole world can be boiled down to an economic calculation, then how many dollars does it cost for you to take a gun and kill yourself?

barristers are, even to this day, still heavily regulated as to how they can receive business hth

the belief that "business is a business" is so low class it hurts; its not rocket science to realise that when you back stab or screw someone, the suffering and sin exist regardless of how many dollars you sold yourself for. Anything less is an admittance that you are a low class oval office, or some sort of sick, moral relativist who thinks eating babies is as proper as cupcakes. We are not bleep bloop computers that just churn out numbers and profit, and there are plenty of business models and government regulations that involve responsibility and ethical behaviour.

What's stupid and antiquated is the attitude that somehow business absolves you of blame, nothing is ever personal, and that this sort of thing makes you a great successful person. precious little is more disgusting than this; you can make your business decisions but don't pretend that filth and opprobrium wash off when you apply a few dollars

you loving peasants and your "food." why is that so important to you? be cultured like me.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
High class or highest class?

http://www.claytonlawoffices.net/

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

JudicialRestraints posted:

I've never met a chiropractor that has killed someone?

The medical profession is like any job, some people will go into it for altruistic reasons, but a significant number will be money grubbing assholes. Unethical/lazy/incompetent lawyers are also a huge problem which has rightfully tarnished our profession. I just find it hypocritical that doctors receive much more public respect despite the massive rates of medical error resulting in death (~195,000 a year http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php)

Of course, there's also the fact that doctors are so cozily in bed with the pharmaceutical/insurance industry that health care coverage for the average American is a tragicomic third world affair.

Again, I recognize that many doctors are hardworking caring people. I just don't give doctors the benefit of the doubt.

Doctors are, what, the 8th leading cause of death? And we're supposed to respect these fuckers? I have a bunch of clients who are doctors and they're no better than anyone else.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

OptimistPrime posted:

This. I was a gunner douche that did well in the best law school in his market, was a law review editor, and then worked 1 year at the biggest firm in town before getting canned because my group lost the client responsible for 85% of my billable work. Now I'm an unemployable bum. And I'm probably not even the worst case of good grades + hard work = nothing in the thread.

Just think of yourself as the hot chick that everyone is scared to approach. Try going clamando. You'll get a job.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
The legal economy is strong and rubust... for some. Many lawyers and law students just do not understand how to be successful. There are many rich and lead rewarding lives and some that even make good money while working few hours. It is all about playing the system and having the knowledge and ability to be successful. Most people do not have these abilities.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

Please elaborate.

1. go to law school. doesn't matter which school, just keep the debt low
2. get a law license.
3. find an area of law with a high demand
4. learn how to practice
5. start a firm
6. run the business effectively
7. make a bunch of money

It is a simple formula but not many lawyers can make it work successfully. Most don't even try and prefer to work for someone else hoping they'll get some scraps thrown their way.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
You guys can make all the excuses you want about it being too hard and that's probably why you can't do it. But that's what I did and have been doing for 10+ years.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

What was your background before that?

diablo/civilization

nm posted:

Shockingly, the legal market was different in the 90s.
Much easier to hang out a shingle then.

I think it is easier now. The best times to start a business is during a recession. Less competition. Plus everyone uses the internet now. Start building a web site in law school, get some traffic and then when you graduate, pull them in.

My business right now is off the charts compared to the last several years.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Adar posted:

My close relative did it in the mid-90's with the added handicap of not speaking great English and, to this day, being unable to go to court (the rear end in a top hat judge making fun of her accent from the bench didn't help, not even after he got disbarred).

Of course, she was bilingual in a community few people served at the time, had 20 years of experience practicing in another country and got a lot of help from that community that she still spent years repaying. Oh yeah, because of her overseas education she went to school for one year instead of three and her loans were correspondingly lower.

There's no loving way it could be done right now in this business climate by a fresh law school graduate without someone to subsidize them for the first couple of years. She's the first to admit it.

She's got pretty thin skin to be scared of a judge like that. I can't even count the number of times a judge has yelled at me or opposing counsel for some really stupid poo poo. I've also had one judge lay down a bullshit motion ruling and then have another judge insinuate I was incompetent for not winning the motion. That's life.

Your idea that there is "no loving way it could be done right now" is completely inaccurate. I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank. Do you realize that malpractice insurance is dirt cheap (couple hundred/month or less) and you can find office space for under $500/month or share an office with a firm for less. You can run a practice for less than $2k/month depending on how you advertise.

But wtf do I know about it. You guys seem to have so many reasons why it won't work. I'm sure you're right.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Adar posted:

hahahaha are you loving kidding me

Is it difficult to have $30-$50k after graduating from law school? You know that you can get scholarships and work during school, right? You can also take out some student loans and save the money for use after you graduate. Plus, you don't have to start your own firm right after graduation. You can work a year or two or ten before going solo or partnering with a friend.

Plus you completely overlook that it only takes a couple thousand a month to run a bare bones practice.

Tychan - I do mainly immigration.

Defleshed - If you don't have any money and have already graduated then it probably won't work out for you.

Blinkorz - Most people are idiots and most people will fail. I'm not trying to say anyone can do this but that it is not something that is impossible like everyone here seems to think.

My original post is that the legal field is really good right now for people with the right skill set and nothing anyone has posted has invalidated that.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are you trolling the thread or do you really not have any idea how much a legal education costs these days?

Any sucker paying sticker deserves to fail in life. If you plan to go solo, you don't need t14. the goal is to get a license without debt and cash in the bank when you graduate.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

HooKars posted:

Want to mentor me too?

Sure, send me a pm. You need help with the hookers or the blow?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Green Crayons posted:

I'm dubious of these claims of solo greatness only because "immigration law" doesn't sound like it nets one all the hookers and blow and phat cars and stacks of money that I've been led to believe a JD would hand me on a silver platter.

I never claimed I was great or greatly successful but that the legal market is very healthy for many solos and small firm partners. In the last 30 days, I've grossed more than I did my first year in business.

As a starting solo with only $2k/month in expenses, you only need one client/month to break even or even make a profit. It is surely difficult and most solos will likely fail, business is loving good for those that make it.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Hey guys, when sending my office your unsolicited resumes, please address it to someone in particular and include a cover letter so we at least know for which job you are begging.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

JudicialRestraints posted:

I've found that by doing this you can get as far as a personalized rejection notice. It's well worth the extra effort.

No, it is going in the trash either way but at least it looks more professional.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

should the photo of my dick be attached to the application package or faxed later with supplemental material?

no one is interested in your dick, fag.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Any US lawyers here go through the process of becoming licensed in Canada? How was it?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

quepasa18 posted:

I can't believe anyone actually asks this question, and would even consider sending out resumes with spelling errors. Yes, it will make a difference. There are tons of people applying for jobs, which means employers are looking for reasons to narrow down the applicants. Spelling errors look like you don't care and don't pay attention to detail.

My uncle used to review resumes where he worked, and he once told me that a spelling error in a cover letter or resume meant it automatically went in the trash.

I've gotten resumes with strikethroughs and highlights obviously made by people reviewing the resume. Some people are just incompetent.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

J Miracle posted:

So my boss is kind of a persnickety dude, he's a solo practicioner that does mostly torts and some business contract dispute stuff. He's been in a real pissy mood lately and things haven't been going real great around work. The problem I have is that he hasn't yet written me my letter for federal clerkship apps, and I'm concerned that if he's not in a good mood he won't do it. Would it make my already marginal chances any more marginal to use a backup letter I have from my writing professor who I TA'd for? That would make all three of my letters from faculty (one from an Associate Dean who I had five classes with and TA'd for and gave me multiple "jurisprudence awards", one from an adjunct clinic professor who is also a high-up in the State Appellate Defender's Office, and one from this writing professor). Is that better/worse/no difference/who-the-gently caress-cares-you're-not-getting-a-clerkship than 2 letters from faculty and one from my current employer?

write it for him and ask him to sign it.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

entris posted:

I know nothing about the Pacific Northwest, but is it too late to get your money back?

That question sounds premature. We don't even know if he's made his decision between a BMW and Benz.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Linguica posted:

Obviously the solution is more lawyers.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Zealous Abattoir posted:

I don't know, man. I am looking at the facts that you guys present, and it scares me shitless. I come from a family of lawyers (if I go through with this, I'll be a 3rd gen.), I've always wanted to be a lawyer. My parents enjoy it even when they make poo poo money and have to work a lot. I honestly think that if I don't go to law school and at least try it, I'll regret the poo poo out of it later. I *know* that I'll probably won't be making bank. If I don't get into a good school, or for free/near free at a non-T14, I'll just go to the lovely state school back home (which is super cheap).

Guess I am just a masochist.

If you have lawyers in your family who can help you get your first job then you'll probably be fine. Just try to keep the debt at a minimum.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Any space lawyers here? We need some guidance in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358464

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Soothing Vapors posted:

I finally found a use for the Michigan Career Services Office!

they're like the only place in the building you can get Kleenexes anymore (the girl at the reading room desk told me their kleenex budget got cut, wtf) so every few days I stop in and take like half a box

thanks guys, you're doing top-notch work

Is that were the 3Ls go to cry?

In other news, I have had the best month of my career this October. Seven new clients this week alone.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

It'd be a drop from approximately $275,000 a year (after bonuses, etc.) doing general litigation, at about 2750 hours a year give or take (depends on travel/trials).

The possible other job is a smaller appellate-only shop that would pay all-in about $140,000.

Plus, appellate law blows to deal with.

I would not take that kind of pay cut early in my career. I would rather work hard and retire early. That's my plan at least. If you're in NY or other high COL city then 140k isn't really that much after taxes and especially if you have high student loan debt.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

evilweasel posted:

I'd much rather have time and money when I'm young and time and money when I'm old than lots of money but no time when I'm young and lots of time and money when I'm old.

It depends on what you define as old. If he's making 275k then he could save nearly half of that each year with good planning. After 10 years in safe investments, he could walk away with 2-3M. If he's in his 20s now, he can quit at 40.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
gently caress USCIS and their price increases. Every single one of my clients is pushing me to file before the 23rd to avoid the new fees.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

blar posted:

Just wait until Friday - most people aren't going to hear about the price increases until then. I'm looking forward to filing I-140's and L-1 visas in 24 hours.

A rushed job is just going to lead to an RFE. So... more money for us then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Beerdeer posted:

I will never be able to get a job practicing without hanging out my own shingle.

I work for USCIS as an adjudications officer, meaning I sit in a cubicle and process applications. (Currently I work refugee adjustment of status) The JD took me from a GS7 to a GS9 on track to a 12.

PAY ATTENTION to the lists your schools give of other careers a JD helps with. Besides the pay bump, my degree helps me interpret the law we rely on, which is a classic mess.

Of course, if you're not in law school yet, DON'T GO. THERE ARE NO JOBS. YOU WILL DIE ALONE.

never mind.

poofactory fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 30, 2010