Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Starbucks hasn't responded to my application yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Direwolf posted:

I dont want to get you down, but I'm looking for a summer job and saw your post so I applied online and I heard back already, and I live in China :(

Also I should be Northwestern 0L in the OP, assuming the NYU letter that arrives tomorrow is slim and light.

:( :( :(

perhaps when I applied to be a barista I aimed too high...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

MPC? Are we in the magical realm of make believe because to the best of my knowledge that's the only place this fruity poo poo applies.

The MPC's stance on rape is the best. It's not illegal to rape your wife, it's not illegal to rape a man, and it's not illegal for women to rape anyone

kind of wondering how that one got in there tbh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

lawl

Those old megathreads are awesome.

PUT IT AWAY

THAT MAN IS DEAD I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM

edit: literally couldn't read it, don't want to remember

double edit: that said, whatever's in that post, feel free to couple it with my blowjob alaska post because my guess is that it chronicles my fall in a way that might talk people out of going to law school and I don't mind being embarrassed if it saves a few idiots from doing something stupid

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It is Detroit...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

edit: silly post nm

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWATJester posted:

an application for ABA health insurance.

I signed up for that and accidentally insured myself for a period in which I was already insured by my law school and for no period outside of that

$300 well spent

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

djs622 posted:

Wow first troll of the thread.

I like how when people come into the law school thread expressing a desire to go to law school we suspect that they're trolls

i believe that says something about law school

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zzyzx posted:

Holy poo poo. I think ours were $80.

$500 is insane. I don't actually remember paying any money for the gown, I think it might have been free. We paid a $50 deposit for the tams, but we got it back if we returned them (which made the hat-tossing at the end very tense)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Paying for the privilege of being overqualified to work at starbucks is for chumps, yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wouldn't necessarily assume that more words = better than

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

quote:

Defleshed posted:

So basically your only reasons for going to law school are "to get a better job" and "my undergrad is poo poo".

Hahaha, you basically ARE me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should not go to law school.

:hfive:

:negative::hf::negative:

Going to law school was literally the worst decision I've ever made in my life. And that includes the time when I was a kid and I was working on a model with an exacto knife and my dad said "be careful with that, it's sharp" and I decided to slice my finger with it to see if he was telling the truth.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 10, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

I had Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner last night and an exam at 8:30 this morning.

Tactical error.

I remember one time in college I literally skipped a morning class because I had buffalo wings the night before. I was all packed and on my way out the door when there was an urgent grumbling and I said to myself "this is going to take a while"

i turned out to be right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hired Gun posted:

Welp, got off the waiting list and assigned for the June 7 LSAT. Taking it now (I graduate next spring) to figure out whether I should even consider law school or spend the time lining up other options. I've got a mediocre (3.4) GPA so unless I get a 170+ I'll probably go the latter route.

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that law school should have an entrance interview requirement, where you have to explain to the interviewer why you want to be a lawyer, what kind of law you want to practice, what's your plan to go about it etc etc to weed out the stupid people like me who think "well my undergrad is useless, why not law school next". It would save a lot of pain.

But no, the only question is "did your financial aid come through?"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

diospadre posted:

he has two gay dads

I think that this should be the new answer to that "joke"

My old answer was "it's not possible, women can't be doctors"

billion dollar bitch posted:

Why would the schools actually want to do this, instead of just taking some kid's money?

I assume that's why they don't do it, since law schools are money making entities, not "valuable members of society" producers

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

very bizarre extended double post, my b

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is the bar bitching thread, go nuts.

Sometimes I think about sitting for another bar just to have something to do

edit: I just realized though that I literally don't have enough money to do that and not be homeless next month

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

There's the tried and true: "Motion to Kiss My rear end” in which you move “all Americans at large and one corrupt Judge Smith [to] kiss my got [sic] drat rear end sorry mother fucker you."

Here I was thinking I was gonna be all clever or whatever and you gotta up and preempt me you got drat rear end sorry mother fucker you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

On the plus side, now your wife can think like a lawyer - who can put a price on a valuable skill like that?

$150,000

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

And no, law degree holders are not "highly employable" outside of the law field. I think this thread has ample evidence that a law degree is more of a hindrance than a help when talking about non-legal employment since the prevailing view of society is that a law degree is a golden ticket (so why hire someone who is just going to turn and get a 6 figure job somewhere else right after training).

I have sent resumes to starbucks, borders, and chipotle. I have not heard back from any of them.

I've also sent resumes to 4 or 5 (non-law related) temp agencies. I have heard back from one of them. They said "sorry, can't help".

yeah a law degree doesn't make you employable bro sorry

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sounds like he had something going on other than law school though. As much as things kind of suck for me right now, I have no desire to die. I'll move back in with my parents before I...well, I guess we'll cross that bridge if we get to it actually

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Duper posted:

gently caress this hope-extinguishing thread. I will get into HLS.

and then everything will be roses

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Calling it now, he will get a job

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

If you have no suitable local "Mama y Papa" taco shops, Chiptole is a not terrible substitute, but literally any authentic Mexican shack will beat it.

It is better than Taco Bell, but that is like being better at basketball than Stephen Hawking. Their guacamole is pretty good though IMO

Yeah it's not authentic mexican food or anything but it tastes good for what it is, I like it. It's burritos for white people basically

Uh oh I just merged tacochat and racechat didn't I

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Moving further south: penguins are pretty greasy.

Moving further south: roast quizbork is pretty lamfing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Can we stop posting the story about the guy from MSU there's gotta be other cautionary tales from other TTTs

yo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

quote:

Currently in law school and loving it more than I could have ever imagined (this opinion subject to change)! I'm challenged and motivated by my incredible peers and happily overwhelmed by the opportunities available to me. This summer I hope to do some international human rights work and then after that, who knows?

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

at what school

Doesn't say. She lives in Cambridge, so maybe it's harvard but I feel like if you go to harvard that's a thing you brag about in your okcupid profile so I bet it's suffolk

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Actually if she's gushing about international human rights law she probably goes to northeastern

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

If it is Havard, she might actually get a job, so I'd suggest another tack:
Jump on that train
If she makes it, marry her and take the biglaw money and pay off your debt
If not, find someone who went to Yale.

I am a licensed lawyer so by the laws of lawyer-dating she does have to go out with me even if I am an unemployed alky loser. This is just crazy enough to work

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

He's got a few internships under his belt and is a great student, but I mean I'm sure lots of you who are looking for work had the same.

yo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

Northeastern, I think.

I could have told you that was a bad choice, my uncle almost got kicked out of northeastern years ago for taking pills. They were malaria pills because e'd just moved there from Pakistan. :eng99:

Yup. I know a guy who got kicked out for bringing a gun to school. At least I think that was the story, I wasn't there but I heard about it from a guy who knows a guy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

debating whether to buy '08 barbri books off ebay for $250

the law can't have changed that much in two years, right?

I studied off used '08 barbri books and passed, however:

1) I took the bar in 2009
2) The person I got them from also gave me her completed lecture notes, which helped quite a bit
3) The Mass bar had like a 90% pass rate

So your results may vary

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ersatz posted:

They aren't. Neither is the first, in my opinion. Having a job is better than being unemployed.

I guess you could argue that it's slightly dishonest because law schools can point to their fellowships or whatever and say "look at how many of our students are employed after graduation, we're a great school" when in reality they had to create jobs for them because nobody else would hire them on account of having gone to a lovely law school. But having said that, it's still giving graduates work and I don't think there's anything wrong with that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When my school released its employment survey it included the following caveat in the e-mail they sent along with it:

quote:

While most of the employment data reflects permanent full-time positions, it also includes a fair number of temporary and contract positions that are full or part-time. The ABA and US News require law schools to count any type of employment as "employed" and our placement statistics reflect this reporting requirement. The reality, however, is that as a result of the constricting legal job market, some graduates have taken positions that are interim solutions until the job market eases or are temporary ways to earn an income. This is a challenging year to be a recent law school graduate entering the job market and our office is committed to helping all of you ultimately achieve career satisfaction and success.

it sounds like they felt kind of bad about reporting the 96% "employed" statistic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have an interview with a temp agency tomorrow which I guess is a good thing but it means that I actually have to get up for something in the morning so I can't drink tonight. I'm upset about how much that annoys me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWATJester posted:

Wait I thought Lykourgos was Grumblefish. WTF is he doing as a prosecutor?

Or am I horribly mistaken?

Grumblefish was a prosecutor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nous_ posted:

I just graduated, and I haven't written off applying to law school in a few years. But I'm going to be a unique flower and work for a startup after school. Because it's paying mostly equity, I will need a second job for cash - should I try to work a legal-related job (staff/admin/etc.) in case I apply down the road? Would that even make a difference?

I'm probably NOT going to law school - if I really wanted to, I would have applied last fall - but am I pretty much shutting that door if I go off and work at a startup for a couple of years? Should I even bother taking the LSAT if I have the time to prepare for it?

As far as LSATs and application/admission to law school goes it makes absolutely no difference whether you work for a start up or get a second job in a law-related field or whatever. Maybe in terms of getting a job as a lawyer or whatever then you might be able to do some networking whilst working in a law-related job which may help later down the road but as far as getting into law school goes it doesn't make a difference. LSAT and GPA are really all that matter.

except for northwestern who apparently values experience or something. but you shouldn't go to law school because it's a scam