Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
When did you apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Aschlafly posted:

A day after the deadline, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Like I said, I'm having math withdrawal. I was actually accepted to awesome grad school programs for theoretical bio (Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, UCLA) and agreed to go to Berkeley before freaking the gently caress out, going into panic mode, and not communicating with anyone. Maybe law school failure is a sign that I ought to rebuild those burned bridges and give grad school another shot.

Well, maybe. You know best what you want to do. But I'm sure you realize that you got waitlisted at Harvard because the class was already full, not because you didn't have the numbers. Apply on the first day of next year's cycle and you'll get into any school you want, most of them with a lot of money.

Anyway, you didn't fail—you applied too late.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Well, a starting position in a NYC DA's office pays about 50-54k depending on borough. As expensive as SF is I doubt cost of living is nearly double New York's.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Yall should try living in DC where literally every person under age 30 is a law student and every person over age 30 is a lawyer

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Has there been a change in the qualifications for federal government jobs? I remember GS-11 jobs being entry level, requiring only a J.D. Now whenever I see a GS-11 job it requires either (1) one year of experience, or (2) top 1/3 class or law review membership to qualify. GS-12 now requires two years' experience, but I remember it as having required only one.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Tetrix posted:

I know you guys come here for your BREAKING NEWS

It's Kagan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36967616/ns/politics-supreme_court/

Wouldn't be terribly surprised by this. She got the Solicitor General job despite never having litigated anything in her career. I don't see too much purpose to making her SG if not to build her credentials for a later court appointment.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
You've probably picked up most of con law ii elsewhere anyway since it's what pretty much everyone means when they refer to constitutional law (fundamental rights, degree of scrutiny, incorporation, permissible restrictions on advertising, campaign contributions, first amendment exception for provocations, etc.).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

evilweasel posted:

I hope your paper had a majestic flight down the stairs to the "A" level

I once had a 15-person writing class where the professor gave one person an A and everyone else a B+. I thought it was a clever new take on law school grades being totally arbitrary.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Just got the course materials for my upcoming CLE. They're over 1,200 pages long. Hooray

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

TyChan posted:

From what I was told, NJ only tests on the MBE subject areas but they might have been mistating things. I could see what they really did being what you were saying about just applying NY law and not being wrong enough to take a massive point hit. You still have to write essays, but if all you have to study is Contracts, Torts, Property, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, and Criminal Law, it apparently makes the task less daunting than I originally thought.

If you're taking NY/NJ and are pressed for time, BarBri recommends that you don't study at all for the NJ essay day and just apply NY law to the questions. You'll lose points for not knowing the law but will gain all the application points.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
It's almost as if yall are saying that law school grades are arbitrary

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

BrotherAdso posted:

Knowing about the history, nature, and ideas behind law has to have some jobs somewhere, but I won't argue that -- you two are speaking from experience. The idea of spending most of my time learning in deep detail the facts of law and methods of interpretation/use doesn't bother me, if that's worth anything.

The professoriate, in which case it would behoove you to get a JD/PhD in philosophy, so you can be a philosophy professor. There aren't many openings for legal history / philosophy professors in the law schools themselves. (There are some, particularly at NYU, but overall very few because law schools are focused on trade.)

Now I love legal history and the philosophy of law, so I don't want to dismiss it. But a law student is in school to get a job. And a law student taking classes in legal history and philosophy is incurring a huge opportunity cost by sacrificing the ability to take a class in an area that there are jobs in. I mean, given the choice between taking a class in philosophy of law and securities regulation I would want the philosophy class any day, but it's the class in securities that would qualify me for jobs in the financial sector.

Basically the more you take classes out of academic curiosity, the more unemployable you become. That's obviously not a desirable outcome but it's the one that results from your having to choose between interesting classes and ones that there are actually jobs in.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
You're in state court, right? You're going to get a lot of judges who work by feel. Fancy arguments and sparkling citations won't mean a thing.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The LSAT is an extremely learnable test. You can go from average to 90th percentile with enough effort. But the word is effort. Sitting passive in Kaplan won't do it. You have to study the structure of the exam and take lots of practice tests and review them once you're through.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I can't think of any other profession where the name of the school you go to has such a profound impact on your career. It is literally something that will define you for your entire life as a lawyer. I've met more lawyers than I can count who are 60+ and are still defensive about the school they went to.

I think there's a fair argument that the name of your law school is the single most important thing in determining your career potential.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

HooKars posted:

I don't think he'd be working there without the scholarship though he apparently proved his worth more than I did.

It might also be awkward for the firm to lay off its diversity hire.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

HiddenReplaced posted:

I've never actually met anyone from Penn Law. To me it doesn't really exist. I have interacted with someone from every T14, be it a student or an attorney, but I have not once, EVER, met ANYONE from Penn Law.

I knew someone who went to Penn, and then I never saw him again. Is this law school real? I don't know.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

billion dollar bitch posted:

So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

I used to have to walk to and from the courts in downtown Brooklyn during the summer. You're right to be concerned. It's hot and humid here and the weather will just wreck you and the suit you're wearing.

If you've got bad suits they will wrinkle a lot thanks to the weather; wear suits with good fabric or do a lot of dry cleaning.

Undershirts are important if you're going to sweat. You don't want to ruin your dress shirts with perspiration. Get V-necks so the shirt doesn't show if you ever go open-collar, and don't wear white because the pits will stain. The brand of shirt will be a matter of personal preference. UA handles sweat better but is tighter on the body. Other brands are looser but the fabric quality isn't as good.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I think it's time for the annual reminder that BarBri's goal is to convince you that you're going to fail.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Cali. He rides to them from Mexico. One or two episodes can be a Breaking Bad crossover.

Can there be an episode on him fulfilling his massive CLE requirements?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
With all the information in the OP I'm surprised there isn't a giant bold SPECIALTY RANKINGS ARE WORTHLESS. IGNORE THEM.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Of course this also means if work dries up again he'll be the first one on the chopping block. (No happiness allowed.)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, except for Parts II– B–2 and II–C–2. ROBERTS, C. J., and THOMAS and ALITO, JJ., joined the opinion in full, and SCALIA, J., joined except for Parts II–B–2 and II–C– 2. STEVENS, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which GINSBURG, BREYER, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ., joined. BREYER, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which SCALIA, J., joined as to Part II.

have fun

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I've only ever dealt with a couple pro se cases but a surprising number of them involved multiple 70+ page motions by the litigant. Pro se plaintiffs have all the time in the world it seems.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Lykourgos posted:

It's not that people are lazy here, but I've never seen anything like private firm hours. And by that, I assume private firm means 12+ hour days. I've seen it done in small bursts for specific, rare reasons, and I hear that felony review involves working at all hours of the night, but absolutely have not seen anything even remotely like that in general

Manhattan D.A. expects a minimum of 60 hours per week, so five 12-hour days if you want weekends off. That's before the arraignment duty you get as a new lawyer (another 8+ hours), some of which is the 5 PM - 1 AM shift.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Petey lies. Alaska owns.

Although Skagway is one of those towns that wouldn't exist if the tour boats / Juneau ferry didn't stop there.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Roger_Mudd posted:

What's with all the jewelry shops in Skagway? Is that all they can think to sell the tourists?

The cruise lines own many stores in the towns that their ships stop in, so when tourists disembark and buy fancy baubles from the local shops they're actually buying from the cruise lines themselves. Hence the large number of luxury stores in remote towns that barely subsist at the poverty line.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Here is the BarBri Essay Writing Technique in a nutshell.

1) Begin essay with "The issue is," followed by the issue.
2) State applicable law.
3) If you don't know applicable law, make something up.
4) Apply law. Paragraph structure goes:
4a) "In this case,"
4b) State conclusion
4c) "Because"
4d) Apply law to fact

You will get points for doing everything in that list, meaning that actually knowing the law is only worth a small fraction of the points an essay is worth. You could literally know no law whatsoever and get nearly-full credit on the essay by doing everything else correct (e.g. applying the bad law you make up).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Doibhilin posted:

Is anyone else having really lovely experiences with the Bar/Bri graded essays? I realize they grade harshly, but I keep bombing essays when I have a decent knowledge of the law. My raw score on their simulated MBE was like 50 points higher than their average, but my essays are consistently below average.

BarBri intentionally fails you on the essay practice questions in order to scare you into buying their supplemental essay writing classes. Take their scores with a grain of salt.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Phil Moscowitz posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpM07PQYNns

loving owned hahahaha

--> ??????

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
So everything interesting you've done in your life becomes icebreaker fodder for an interview, I guess.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I guess if you're really not interested in Biglaw you can settle for DOJ honors or a federal clerkship. Thanks, Lat.

I wonder how many 0Ls are going to be suckered by this.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The NYC DA offices start at 50 - 55k depending on borough. They also require a three-year commitment from new hires and aren't very accommodating to people who want to break it. I don't know how the pay scales with seniority so I don't know how much you'd be making after your first year.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Are all the words on these last two pages still about downloading music

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

lipstick thespian posted:

So, how do you get into legal academia in the US?

The most common route is top grades from a top school, federal clerkship in the Circuit Courts or SCOTUS, then a few years as an associate at Biglaw, then a transition into teaching.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
When i sat for the bar I was stunned at how easy the MBE was compared to the BarBri practice questions hth

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
There hasn't been as much bar anguish this year as in the past few years. Does that reflect fewer people taking the bar, or that the bar doesn't matter when there are no jobs for people who pass it?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I remember being taught in high school that the mean is a useless metric for some things, most notably salaries. A small sample size of high earners will always skew the value upward. It blows me away that people with college degrees would consider law school because the mean salary for new graduates is 80k or 90k or whatever.

Draile fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Lykourgos posted:

Seriously? I've done about 6 prosecution interviews, and for the most part they've ranged from, "yeh real good to read your writing sample; you do what we want to see around here" and "Yes, judge x is a laugh; up for a pint later?" I had a total of one interview that involved the sort of interview questions you see around here or in prep classes, "what does it take to be a good prosecutor?", and after that it just went back to the more pleasant "yeh lol how about that case, drat why'd you think the jury went that way?"

At least in New York City, it's standard practice for prosecutor's offices to ask ethical hypotheticals as interview questions. Here's one that comes up all the time. "You are prosecuting a man for stealing an old lady's purse. There are no witnesses other than the victim, but the lady got a great view of the defendant and has rock-solid testimony. Defense counsel has indicated to you that the defendant is willing to plead out. The day before the defendant is scheduled to give his plea, the lady has a heart attack and dies. Defense counsel doesn't know about this. Do you disclose the death of the lady to defense counsel, thereby threatening your case and his plea, or do you not make the disclosure and take the plea?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

holybartender posted:

Out of curiosity what is the answer?

The diplomatic answer, and probably the option that most of us would prefer, is to make the disclosure. Although in real life I think it's more likely that people would take the plea—ADAs have their conviction rates monitored by their supervisors so they have incentives to convict whenever possible.

Although it's just a hypothetical. Like in law school, how well you support your answer is more important than the answer itself.

Or you can ignore all that and just do this:

joat mon posted:

Amend the charge to First Degree Felony Murder.