Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Thoras Hammer posted:

Automatic A for JR! :hfive:

This is law school. He's still getting a B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Napoleon I posted:

Yeah, I tried this, got shot down. Emailed back, explained what happened, and received a terse and fairly rude email back stating that there were absolutely no exceptions.

Talked to two deans, neither was able/willing to do anything.

I (and at least 5 other people I know) all forgot to fill out a second required form. I generated an application number, assumed I was done, and then after the 5 p.m. deadline read the confirmation email, wherein I was informed about the other form.

Last year we had a guy send an e-mail to the Editor-in-Chief threatening congressional hearings after the Westlaw dropbox didn't let him submit his packet on time.

It worked.

So, hopefully you know a Congressman?

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

fougera posted:

So write on sucks. I know its way early but would it be a bad idea to not do whatever crappy journal I get placed with and do an SEC internship instead? None of the journals are relevant to the practice area I'm working in this summer/hope to work in the future.

Why can't you do both? Isn't the write-on done before your internship starts?

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

The Arsteia posted:

Alright transfer app to Minnesota is in, if i don't hear back from them before mid-June I'm applying to Wisconsin.

Come to Wisconsin. You can witness JR's finals-period break-downs in person.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Death Sandwich posted:

So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist?

Edited so people would stop yelling at me on the internet and we can all get along. :dance:

My roommate for the summer goes to Emory. The nicest thing I can say is that she's the most repulsive human being I know. I assume everyone at Emory is similar.

She isn't stuck up, so much as a gigantic whore with this shrill cackle that pierces concrete. We literally had a noise complaint from the neighbors because of this girl's laugh.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
So I worked for the government this past summer, and am now waiting for a round of pointless interviews before the budget decides if I get a permanent job. Should I stick with Jameson for the next few months or is there a better nightly whiskey regimen for this situation?

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

JudicialRestraints posted:

They think that it will give me a 'better life than they had.'

I disagree.

E: My mom talked to her boss (a lawyer) about the job market. His advice was "do 3L OCI it worked for me." I'm thinking of drinking a Svedka/Draino cocktail

My hippie parents wanted to know "where they went wrong."

Also, JR, if my tales of how our 3L OCI looks have taught you anything, it's that you'll want to just go straight Liquid Plumber.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yes, a much cheaper one. I recommend Banker's Club.

Probably a wise choice. I'm thinking I should only drink whiskeys that come in a plastic bottle until I have an offer letter (i.e., never).

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
I am pretty sure that attending law school is itself a harebrained scheme.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
Our Dean is resigning effective the end of this school year, and I am considering applying for the job under the theory that our school will do anything to be able to count students as employed 6 months after graduation. Law school dean can't be too hard, can it?

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
Today in Professional Responsibilities, someone insisted that the code of professional ethics was actually a hindrance to society because it prevents lawyers from breaking the law. His evidence was first that "civil rights used to be illegal so if lawyers cared about laws African Americans wouldn't be able to vote right now." His final trump card after the instructor disagreed was that "if lawyers actually had to follow the law, we'd have never revolted against the British Empire and THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA."

0Ls: these are your classmates.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is this guy a) a stoner or b) a pedophile?

No, I think he is just a standard smug contrarian. He was also arguing that the WI Supreme Court Rules have no business imposing a system of morality on him. I'm looking forward to his MPRE scores.

MaximumBob posted:

Were there no state disciplinary committees to disbar people in the 60s?

There were, but there was also THE COURAGE TO REBEL.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Adar posted:

*unless you've already hosed up the interview so badly you've nothing to lose, in which case you may as well go for the reality show gold standard and attempt to become memorable

FYI, this is how I ended up telling two Dorsey partners that their business model was dead. It really does feel good to take a parting jab sometimes.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

JudicialRestraints posted:

Talk to In Absentia. He did SEC in Chicago. I think he's currently in an alcoholic stupor waiting for the offer based on his summer that will never come.

This is true. My advice is that if you get a job at something other than the SEC that may turn into a real job, you should probably take it. I think the recruiting directors would probably say likewise.

Last I heard about month ago was: "we are waiting for our budget, have no idea when it will get here, and no idea what it'll be when it does." So basically to get an offer I need to pray they have budget room and didn't like any of the other four interns better than me.

It's too bad because I really did love it there, and it was a great way to spend the summer. If nothing else, you have a great 10 weeks ahead of you, I suppose.

So, congratulations. You've nabbed a highly-prestigious, moderately-compensated, intellectually-stimulating 10 week exercise that may get you nowhere but the bottom of a bottle.

I'm more than happy to answer questions about it if you have them. I think my e-mail is in my profile, too.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

billion dollar bitch posted:

In absentia what's your gchat? Your email isn't in your profile.

peterk13 is my gmail / gchat. I have company this weekend and might not be on chat much before Monday.

I would say securities regulation would be helpful beforehand just so you have some of the core terminology. Of course, I didn't do this and instead sort of flipped through a study aid. That was more than enough, really.

Also, yes, DC is more likely to get you a job, followed by NY, and somewhat distantly by Chicago. Any other region is close to 0%.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Doppelganger posted:

Any goon attorneys:

What goals would you like to achieve in the next 5 years?

I'd like to experience falling asleep without getting drunk first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
Final exam in 13 hours. Haven't opened the book in 2 days. Barely looked over the outline. But, you know . . . 3L.

I also got a job offer today, so gently caress it. Having a scotch.