Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I don't know the exact cause of the fire, maybe a fuel leak. The worst of the fire was on the side of the engine where the injector pump is.

The front sheet metal and fenders were blasted with a small portable sandblaster. There was a lot of surface rust, it looked like the tractor had sat out in the rain after it burned. For the rest of it paint was only scraped off by hand where it was loose. I can only take a small amount of credit for this project. I just did some of the blasting and masking work. The two guys who did the sheet metal work did a fantastic job, the nose piece in particular was pretty mashed up. All the wiring and fuel system had to be replaced, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

It certainly looks great now, you guys did a good job. I think no matter how much rain it saw when something burns it gets instantly rusty.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Pipkin posted:

It certainly looks great now, you guys did a good job. I think no matter how much rain it saw when something burns it gets instantly rusty.

Rusting is just a very, very slow form of combustion.

:science:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dreesemonkey posted:

Hey go-kart people, I have a manco silverfox that has a torque converter. I need to clean it and I'm trying to avoid buying the expensive comet dry lubricant spray ($30), when I have a can of dupont multi-use teflon dry-spray already.

Anyone want to comment? I've heard "yea you'll be fine" to "OMG nuclear explosion" and don't know what to think.

I say go for it. It's a dry spray, not grease/oil that's gonna attract dirt. Even powdered graphite would probably work. I sincerely doubt there's anything proprietary in Comet's lube.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pipkin posted:

Hell yes. That is a really nice job and I want to ask the same question. What happened for it to catch fire?

e: I'm dumb, it caught fire before you restored it.

with my poor FE35, It was a combination of Lucas cotton insulated wiring and a fruit rat nest that led to a nice cheery blaze during the early days of the rebuild!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bucephalus posted:

I say go for it. It's a dry spray, not grease/oil that's gonna attract dirt. Even powdered graphite would probably work. I sincerely doubt there's anything proprietary in Comet's lube.

I didn't think so either, but wasn't sure. I think I'll give it a shot.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

3 pages and still no forklifts? I think I can fix that...

I present my parents 1962 Clark forklift.

49 hp of fury. Needless to say, in a 6,200 lb vehicle it isn't exactly fast. Although give it a nice stretch of flat land and it can eventually move right along. Although given its lack of a suspension and extremely floaty steering it is more terrifying than fun.

It is still used every week to unload a few pallets of merchandise. As long as its above freezing it fires right up. Below freezing you just need to choke it a bit and it'll fire up. The only time it gives us problems is when trying to move 2800 lbs+. It is insanely slow to lift the pallet and the rear end starts to go light above trailer height.

I wouldn't dare to lift more than 1,000 lbs to its max height (9 ft.) That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

It hasn't been serviced or maintained in years. I will go through and change all its fluids, eventually.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Last night my brother and I used the Farmall M to lift the diesel Miller welder into it's newly fabricated roll cage

And lift it onto the bed of his F-550

We should be baling hay next week if the weather holds (we should have cut last week though.) Here is most of the fleet assembled (minus two other tractors and two pieces of equipment)

First we have the baler itself

With the incomprehensible twine tying mechanism

Next we have the hay rake

and the hay tedder which gets towed around folded up like this (I HATE towing this, it likes to get out of whack and fishtail all over the road.)

The other two arms swing out and "lock" into position

and the wheels lock straight with these.

Lastly is the haybine which sadly is currently broken

One or more of the bearings are totally shot and that means tearing the whole gearbox apart

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

:confused: Two oil filters? Or is one of those cartridge containers for the hydraulics?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I baled hay once. Once. That was enough.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A couple of months and this ought to be up and running:

We got it to turn over a couple of times yesterday, so it's not a total lost cause. Check out the nifty front suspension:

PTO works, and it has a cool quick release hitch/impliment system:

Got to replace at least one rim, though:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Video of Johnny Popper I took at a parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunFWvF4FrU

See, I do branch outside of International Harvester.

I raise your Spoker D with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdCPq0h6ug&feature=related

Not mine, but do want one of these some day. 2 cylinder diesel with a pony motor to start the diesel. How many cars out there get a small engine to start thier big engine :smug:

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Mooecow posted:

3 pages and still no forklifts? I think I can fix that...

I present my parents 1962 Clark forklift.

:words:

Sup scary old forklift buddy.. Here's our Hyster.. Year unknown. It's propane, with some kind of flat 4 in it. I've had this thing stuck in snow, ice, dirt.. I've flipped it up onto the forks by overlifting. It leaks hydraulic fluid constantly, and I've spent way too much time replacing hoses to care anymore. We pick up cars with this thing, it's awesome. By the way : Anyone who can guess what the thing on the forks is gets 3000 goon points.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ACEofsnett posted:

Sup scary old forklift buddy.. Here's our Hyster.. Year unknown. It's propane, with some kind of flat 4 in it. I've had this thing stuck in snow, ice, dirt.. I've flipped it up onto the forks by overlifting. It leaks hydraulic fluid constantly, and I've spent way too much time replacing hoses to care anymore. We pick up cars with this thing, it's awesome. By the way : Anyone who can guess what the thing on the forks is gets 3000 goon points.

Is it a pump or compressor of some kind? Looks vaguely like a control panel under the box there.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A couple of months and this ought to be up and running:

We got it to turn over a couple of times yesterday, so it's not a total lost cause. Check out the nifty front suspension:

PTO works, and it has a cool quick release hitch/impliment system:

Got to replace at least one rim, though:

Please please name it the "wide stance republican" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig . Also don't worry, those spinout rims are fairly easy to find. Steiner tractor has new ones, and some other places too.
http://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/search?w=spinout+rim&asug=&x=0&y=0

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ACEofsnett posted:

Victory siren?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ACEofsnett posted:

Military surplus generator, probably <10Kw?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Please please name it the "wide stance republican" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig . Also don't worry, those spinout rims are fairly easy to find. Steiner tractor has new ones, and some other places too.
http://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/search?w=spinout+rim&asug=&x=0&y=0

How can you name such a tractor anything other than "Alice"?

I think we know where there's some rims that size with tires already on them at another ranch that we might be able to get. Otherwise, thanks for the tip. We may need a few new parts for this.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How can you name such a tractor anything other than "Alice"?

I think we know where there's some rims that size with tires already on them at another ranch that we might be able to get. Otherwise, thanks for the tip. We may need a few new parts for this.

So I'm looking at that tractor and it looks like you can alter the track on the front and rear?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Sponge! posted:

Victory siren?

One of those insane cold-war era engine driven things? God, I wish.

Bucephalus posted:

Military surplus generator, probably <10Kw?

:siren:WE HAVE A WINNER:siren:

Good job, I really didn't think anyone could guess what that was from the tiny bit in the pic.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ACEofsnett posted:

:siren:WE HAVE A WINNER:siren:

:neckbeard:

Where do I redeem my points? :)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm in the midst of getting this

made roadworthy again. It's an Alvis Saracen FV603 Mk1, built in 1957. I'll try to get some pictures of it on Sunday, and maybe some video of it's rather lovely 5.8l Rolls Royce B80 engine running, if it's feeling in the mood for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mr-Spain posted:

So I'm looking at that tractor and it looks like you can alter the track on the front and rear?

Just on the front.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just on the front.

Surely you can wind the rear hub back & forth over the spiral grooves in the wheel?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Indeed you can.

I hate those things.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Indeed you can.

I hate those things.

Yeah I wouldn't want to use rims like that either. Neat idea, but it looks like a huge pain in the rear end in execution.

The drop axles are pretty neat looking though.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Not mine in the picture, but I have a Bob-Cat Snow Thrower from the 70s, and it is the best. Forward and reverse gears, with a knob to work the clutch. If you dump the clutch, it will wheelie off the line. I need to find a new one-way clutch for the pull start, change the oil and get some shear pins, but this thing runs drat good for $25. It will fling snow over the power lines if you angle the chute up. It's made of very thick steel, nothing like that thin flimsy poo poo they use nowadays.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Indeed you can.

I hate those things.

The Ford I posted has a similar system.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
"It doesn't start!"

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Picture taken after 30 minutes of grass removal and about a minute under the pressure washer.

The customer's starter had just fallen off, and was otherwise fine. However, he's just about hosed the rest of the engine from not catching the oil leak earlier. I think the quote is at $800?

e: gently caress you, waffleimages!

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 31, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't have any mechanical projects, not that I have the time, money, or competence for such greatness. But I live in the middle of a vast agricultural area, and I work in the Agriculture Building of the University of Saskatchewan. There are many, many tractors and related machines around. I gotta convince one of the farmer/professors in the department to let me poke around a farm for a day. If I'm extra lucky, I'll be able to convince one of the comely young ladies in the department to pose in front of a REAL International Harvester, just for trouser chili.

I went out to shoot pictures of birds, and spotted a couple of Deere

A couple of years ago I was doing field work on Devon Island in the High Arctic, at a place called Truelove Lowland. There's been a base camp there for researchers since the early 70's at least, and because everything is deep frozen 10 months of the year and it's pretty dry, the accumulated junk decays extremely slowly.

This little tracked thing is parked on top of barrels so it doesn't have to be dug out of the snow in winter. I'd be surprised if the last time it ran was at any time in the last 20 years.

Parked on another set of barrels nearby is the trailer it towed. Presumably this was for moving equipment / gear / scientific instruments / scotch out to various places on the tundra. Note this is a trailer on tracks. :niggly:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Surely you can wind the rear hub back & forth over the spiral grooves in the wheel?

Yeah but that's a total pain in the rear end.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I raise your Spoker D with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdCPq0h6ug&feature=related

Not mine, but do want one of these some day. 2 cylinder diesel with a pony motor to start the diesel. How many cars out there get a small engine to start thier big engine :smug:

A 4 cylinder gas engine to start a diesel 2 cylinder? I'm dying to know the logic behind this, as this seems someone odd to me.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

A 4 cylinder gas engine to start a diesel 2 cylinder? I'm dying to know the logic behind this, as this seems someone odd to me.

The diesel engine is 470 cubic inches, I imagine the pony start was just simpler at that point in time. Apparently you could get an electric starter on that model, a 4-battery 24V system.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Fats posted:

The diesel engine is 470 cubic inches, I imagine the pony start was just simpler at that point in time. Apparently you could get an electric starter on that model, a 4-battery 24V system.

Also, the pony motor shares coolant with the diesel motor. It helps by warming up the coolant so when the pony motor runs, it sarts warming up the diesel, making it easier to start. Imagine way back in the day before glow plugs and all the other modern parts of a diesel engine trying to start 470 cubes on a 0 degree day with a starter motor. I imagine that Deere made the best choice at the time. Why keep having loyal customers wear out batteries and starters? Slap on a 4 cylinder!

I really admit it, I get all tingly listening to those 2 cylinder diesels chugging away. Edit again: Nevermind, Found it to be 69.7 HP at the drawbar, tourqe seems to range from 450-470. Not bad, 1 lb per cubic inch, though this is from a couple of different websites.

Edit: I had to throw this in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1v4Zg7hfRQ&feature=related ... dragsters got nothing on this 830 for sidewall flex.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 31, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'm in the midst of getting this

made roadworthy again. It's an Alvis Saracen FV603 Mk1, built in 1957. I'll try to get some pictures of it on Sunday, and maybe some video of it's rather lovely 5.8l Rolls Royce B80 engine running, if it's feeling in the mood for it.
Cool. I have a real :awesome: for the Alvis 6x6 family, especially Stalwarts.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Used Sunlight sales posted:

'Sup IAME TaG buddy? (We got to be the first to have an official race on the new Oregon Raceway)

Click here for the full 619x428 image.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I really admit it, I get all tingly listening to those 2 cylinder diesels chugging away. Edit again: Nevermind, Found it to be 69.7 HP at the drawbar, tourqe seems to range from 450-470. Not bad, 1 lb per cubic inch, though this is from a couple of different websites.

Edit: I had to throw this in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1v4Zg7hfRQ&feature=related ... dragsters got nothing on this 830 for sidewall flex.
70hp and 450 ft-lbs of torque?
gently caress I want one of those engines to put in a bombardier muskeg that I will own one day.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Yay! I found the real problem with my DR today! It's got a Kawasaki FH430V-AS05, non KAI. It's been surging off choke for like a year. As a result, it has performed like poo poo since it's getting no air. I pulled apart the carb, sprayed it clean with a whole can of carb cleaner, and it worked for like a week.

Today, I did the same thing as last time, except I pulled off the EPA cap and did the pilot air screw. This got it running much better, but still almost stalling at idle, and only at 3300 RPM WOT.

Since WOT was steady without a surge, I decided to unbolt the control assembly and move it up to raise max RPM to 3600. Doing so was *very* loving difficult. Probably because the little spinny doo had bent a screw out of the way and was all jammed up. Using a brake spoon, I got the bracket to raise WOT to 3500+. That was when I noticed the bent screw. I bent it back, got idle to drop to ~2000, with WOT still at 3500+. I hooked up the 42" mower again and was able to get the RPM to 3650 by nudging the control level slightly higher than the WOT detent, but not enough to actuate the choke. It mows like a SOB now!

Unfortunately, it uses a shitload more gas now, and I ran out after a short period. My gas runner got back just in time for a thunderstorm. He's brought back 15 gallons, though, so Wednesday, ALL the grass will be MURDERED!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Here's a few of the tractors that keep my grandparents' farm working:

Simplicity 5212:

This handles general lawn and landscpaing duty, as it has since 1986 or so. I'm consistently amazed that it still runs and cuts as well as it does, although the clutch has begun slipping and the gearshift has an incredible amount of slop in it.

John Deere Z225:

This is a recent purchase that will probably take over mowing duties completely once the Simplicity kicks it. I haven't had the pleasure of mowing with it yet, but it seems to cut quite well, and I'm sure that the zero-turn capability comes in handy with all of the trees and other obstacles that abound in their yard, which is about 4 acres all told. You can also see their STX46 in the background, which spends more time broken than it does mowing.

John Deere Model B:

This was in the barn when my grandparents bought their farm back in 1986, and was restored completely about 10 years ago. It doesn't get driven near enough (just look at the amount of dust on it :smith:), as there's only one person in the family who really knows how to operate it, but I'm hoping to change that this summer. From what information I can find on this model, it's one of the early "styled" versions, but I can't pin it down to a particular year.

John Deere 5300:

This is what gets called up for any big mowing or lifting job. It most often sees use with the finishing mower or the bush hog in the picture. We also have a log splitter for it, but it generally only sees use in the fall when the firewood supply needs to be replenished. The front-end loader comes in handy for moving manure, logs, rocks, gravel, and the occasional engine:

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 1, 2010

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

FormulaXFD posted:

Sup IAME TaG buddy?(We got to be the first to have an official race on the new Oregon Raceway)

That's actually a Biland SA250 in the second pic.
Yes, I road raced one.
Yes, It was very fast.

Bad part is, fucker kept breaking chains. I'm running CIK 125 this year with a Mod Honda.

Say hi to that chris hegar human being next time you see him. I have to go out to the shop this afternoon and finish getting my poo poo ready to go racing this weekend.

Edit: Finally watched the youtube you posted. Looks like that right hander at about 3:05 and 5:20 is kicking your rear end. it's hard to tell in the video, but It looked like as you turn in everything is fine, but when the chassis sets it snaps the rear loose. More of a loose out condition is what it looks like. Usually that's fast, but in this case, it's costing you time.

Are you going to come out to Miller this summer? I'm going to try, it's a 16+ hour trip for me. I went last year and it's a pretty awesome event. Great track too. Might not be as much fun as Oregon. If you bring a TaGUSA legal Leopard, there should be at least three classes you can run without screwing with weights. If you bring enough lead to make 390 lbs, I think there's like six classes you can run.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Does anyone have any advice for lawn tractors? I'm hoping to upgrade my riding mower next year from a free rear-engined ariens my friend gave me to something nicer.

My mowable yard is about an acre. Lot's of trees, stumps, roots, etc. So it would have to be pretty durable. I don't think I'd plan on doing too much else than mowing with it (i.e. probably not plowing), the only attachment would be maybe a bagger, and hauling a dump cart and eventually one of those tow-behind mulcher carts (the amount of leaves we get is incredible, we have over 40 trees just in our yard - none of which are conifers).

All I know is:
1. They don't make 'em like they used to?
2. Get the cast iron front end for durability
3. Most of the low-end tractors are all about the same, even as far as many are the same manufacturer underneath (MTD).
4. You don't start seeing quality until you're spending thousands.

What I would like is to find a nice, durable mower that will last me a long time for mowing and maybe light hauling duties. I would really like to spend less than $2000.

I'm a sucker for john-deere green, like the supposed reliability of simplicities, and have a husky dealer about 2 miles down the road from me, but I've also heard good things about crafstman. I don't need all the crazy bells and whistles, just something that's going to be reliable for me. Hydrostatic would be nice as I have to vary speed a lot while mowing, but I hear they're inherently less reliable.

My dad just bought a Simplicity this year for no other reason than his neighbor had probably tens of thousands of miles on his (not joking). My uncle-in-law just bought a 300 series John Deere. Both look great, but I think my dad spend $3800 with a snow blower and wheels weights, and my uncle spend $4300 with his attachments (bagger, plow, dump cart). Not sure I can justify spending that kind of money when I don't even have a nice lawn (thanks, trees!)

Guide me, goons!

• Locked thread