Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

insomne posted:

I don't think Pitchfork has anything to do with Kid606 and the rest of these artists being called IDM, since people have been associating them with it since the 90's
Ya but that's the thing. Kid606 came up in an established breakcore circuit. He's from California, he was second-generation breakcore right there with snares and others. Listen to his first records, they're all like partied-up DJ Scud records. Same with snares' first records. They were making music for an established raggajunglebreakcore scene in Europe and also developing a scene in North America. They never would've thought of their music as IDM, they'd fall over laughing at the idea. There are IDM-y labels and producers, but people's blanket, umbrella concept of IDM is usually completely muddied and ambiguous to the point of meaninglessness. That's what my Pitchfork comment is getting to: it's called IDM mostly by people who aren't truly engaged in the music. To me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko has nothing to do with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFtCDpWl5g

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

eckoelab posted:

Ya bro I completely feel you. But IDM has turned in to what the word "emo" has, completely divorced from its original meme status and label for all these European dudes who know eachother, and come to mean something totally arbitrary.

There's being a genre rear end in a top hat, and then there's being a genre rear end in a top hat for a good reason.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2010

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
I feel like bedroom electronica is an even worse term for this type of music.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think it's pretty good. "Cleaning my house"-tracker ambient. "Studying for a test"-instrumental hip hop.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I really hope the term gets phased out and replaced with something more specific.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
very doubtful, as it has been that way for almost 20 years. The only thing that is happening is we are getting ten million other terms to go along with it that are just as ambiguous and confusing, if not more so.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

To me, and this could really be just me, IDM is pretty closely connected with the original ideas and feel of Detroit techno. It's music that showcases it's technology. Also it's earliest forms were basically melds of Detroit techno and Ambient.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

toadee posted:

To me, and this could really be just me, IDM is pretty closely connected with the original ideas and feel of Detroit techno. It's music that showcases it's technology. Also it's earliest forms were basically melds of Detroit techno and Ambient.

I would say that could be a fair analogy, as most of the Techno scene connects well with the IDM scene (Kompact Records for example).

You can also spin that in the direction of Industrial and Ambient (Ant Zen label), Industrial and Techno (Hymen Label), and Techno and Hip Hop (modern era Warp) for other flavors of the scene. This is why it gets so drat confusing as it starts to overlap and become meaningless at best. How do you separate the power noise, break core, two step crunk, and illbient sounds apart from each other?

I just say "hey, check out this awesome tune"

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

eckoelab posted:

I would say that could be a fair analogy, as most of the Techno scene connects well with the IDM scene (Kompact Records for example).

You can also spin that in the direction of Industrial and Ambient (Ant Zen label), Industrial and Techno (Hymen Label), and Techno and Hip Hop (modern era Warp) for other flavors of the scene. This is why it gets so drat confusing as it starts to overlap and become meaningless at best. How do you separate the power noise, break core, two step crunk, and illbient sounds apart from each other?

I just say "hey, check out this awesome tune"

IDM as a subset of Techno, Breakcore and Two Step as a subset of Drum & Bass/Jungle, and Illbient as a subset of Hip Hop is how I would organize it in my own head. Also Power noise as a subset of Industrial

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
right, I wasn't saying they were the same things, just that they often get (mistakenly) lumped together into the same category by those who don't understand the difference.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Well yea but that's not really different from almost all electronic music, right down to 80% or more of people calling it all 'techno'.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
The album "Role Model" by Cex is pretty good. The rest of his stuff is all over the place and I haven't listened to it much, but you should check out this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vKtnKTbC4

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

eckoelab posted:

what

Warp has been re-releasing some classic Detroit stuff along with Tresor and etc but they never collaborated with Kompakt or any of the other major German labels afaik, nor are they part of the techno club/festival circuits? Doesn't seem very 'well connected' to me. Ignoring the fact that they're not part of the same 'scene' I don't even know what they have to do with each other musically besides demographic crossover and similar inspirations, the only thing the IDM/Warp crowd and Kompakt have in common is the fact that they both release ambient, and you might as well lump Brian Eno, Steve Reich and Tangerine Dream in with IDM you're gonna do that. Hah. The 'Ambient, Drill & Bass, Glitch Hop, Acid, Folktronica, Downtempo, Breakcore, Bjork, and Every Other Kind of Electronic Music That Isn't Played At Raves Thread'. Somehow I don't remember Warp or Planet Mu getting mentioned in Abe Duque feat Blake Baxter - What Happened... 'IDM' as classified as 'what got discussed on the IDM list' isn't a genre or a scene. Make a thread called 'Pitchfork bleeps and bloops' or 'Thread for people who found out about all these genres from Ishkur's Guide' if you must have a catch-all.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2010

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

toadee posted:

Dude it really is just you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Hey, new Aphex Twin

http://pitchfork.com/news/38842-listen-new-aphex-twin-music/

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's kinda weird how Aphex Twin has reached this kind of audience now (having this kind of article on pitchfork). Guessing its to do with the internet and it being the number one example paraded around as the 'good' kind of electronic music, you know, not the dance music for plebs.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

etard knievel posted:

what

Warp has been re-releasing some classic Detroit stuff along with Tresor and etc but they never collaborated with Kompakt or any of the other major German labels afaik

didn't say that they collaborated, but just that they pair well together in the community, and a lot of the Techno kids are well versed in the "IDM" scene...more so than perhaps other scenes. At least this was my impression while living in Seattle, and hanging around all the Decibel and CMKY festival people.

Not trying to split hairs here.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Whoooaa, that's really surprising. I guess he does have that new album coming out. That sounds pretty amazing, especially at around 3:13. I heard a rumor about a Selected Ambient Works 3 or something, and this definitely fits the bill. Awesome.

I'm gonna go around now and call poo poo like Orbital and Kraftwerk and Shy FX IDM. That would basically rule on 40 different levels. I mean what did you want me to call the thread? I was going to name it "Experimental Electronic Music Megathread" because I knew this would happen but that sounds loving gay. Headphone electronic? I'm sorry man but I don't think any of these genres have the fanbase to have an entire thread dedicated to them. Most of this poo poo has been called IDM since the dinosaur age and, yeah, it is a genre (in the same veins as people calling "house" a genre) and a scene and is still going pretty strong.

insomne fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 18, 2010

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

This has to be an authetic IDM thread because we've spent 2 pages arguing what IDM is.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

toadee posted:

This has to be an authetic IDM thread because we've spent 2 pages arguing what IDM is.

hah......so true.

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
New Aphex Twin! That sounds great. I hope that rumour about a third Selected Ambient Works is true.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Jesus, I'm laughing at these headphones. They're so dorky but so cool at the same time. Also here's some more from that Metz set. He plays a slowed down version of Vordhosbn at 4 minutes and it sounds pretty awesome.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Here's some new EXPERIMENTAL ELECTRONIC stuff from Boy Is Fiction. His new album, Broadcasts in Colour, came out a few months ago and is way dope and you guys should grab it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6vlhanlOk

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh my god where have I been when this thread started? New Aphex Twin? My total poo poo day became only 98% poo poo! Oh, and regarding BoC: I would suggest Geogaddi before Campfire Headphase.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Pseudonym posted:

Oh my god where have I been when this thread started? New Aphex Twin? My total poo poo day became only 98% poo poo! Oh, and regarding BoC: I would suggest Geogaddi before Campfire Headphase.

Yeah, Geogaddi I think is the better album, but on the other hand I think The Campfire Headphase is way, way more accessible for someone not familiar with Boards. Either way, both are fantastic albums.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
New Aphex sounds great. It's basically just more Analord, but I love everything acid so it doesn't bother me at all.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

insomne posted:

it is a genre (in the same veins as people calling "house" a genre) and a scene and is still going pretty strong.
No see, that's exactly the thing. House is a real genre, and its got a bunch of related sub-genres. Same with dnb, liquid is not the same thing as darkstep, but they recognize a common lineage. IDM is a bunch of disparate stuff exceedingly more than house or a lot of other blanket terms are. I hate to be a cock about it, but its necessary inorder to really "get" any of this poo poo beyond a bunch of mp3s in a playlist.

Also when Aphex says he has unreleased stuff, I bet he means he has a bunch of whitelabels, not necessarily all composed by him.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 19, 2010

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

insomne posted:

Whoooaa, that's really surprising. I guess he does have that new album coming out. That sounds pretty amazing, especially at around 3:13. I heard a rumor about a Selected Ambient Works 3 or something, and this definitely fits the bill. Awesome.

I don't know, it sounds a bit too hectic to be on a SAW release.

That said it's aphex twin so who knows what he'll do. SAW III will probably be 50 ventolin remixes just to gently caress with people.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Also when Aphex says he has unreleased stuff, I bet he means he has a bunch of whitelabels, not necessarily all composed by him.

Probably. He said he has 100s of hours of the stuff, including music that is supposedly better than everything we've heard from him, just he won't release it cause he doesn't want people stealing / copying his work. I almost, ALMOST, think he's full of poo poo considering his track record of lying to the media, but on the other hand I think I sort of believe him. He seems like he's crazy enough:

Richard D. James posted:

I don't know any models, but I just heard from the place where I can get ammunition for my machine gun -- they're selling off Russian submarines, and apparently they're really cheap. Someone said they were like 50 grand, but I don't know how accurate that is. I'd love it. I reckon I'll get one. It'll probably be a lot of hassle to do it, and you'll probably have to hire like a crew to work it for you. I don't know if you could properly operate it on your own -- maybe you could, I don't know. I don't know anything about submarines. I just know I'd like to have one. It would be wicked for parties, and stuff like that.

Richard D. James posted:

In Seattle, all the public toilets didn't have any doors on them. It was well strange. What's that all about? I had to take a poo poo, and they're was like twenty people in a row going for a poo poo, and I was like, "uh." So after about ten minutes, I thought it was quite wicked actually. I was quite into the idea of it.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I don't know why but the thought of Aphex Twin taking a poo poo in front of an audience is hilarious

back on the subject, I got The Shimmering Hour by Wisp and it's quite good. I also took a glimpse at the Wisp Archive a while ago (I think someone linked it last page also) and there seems to be quite a bit of free stuff there. Any recommendations in particular?

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 19, 2010

joooohn
May 9, 2006
na.ma.shi.bi.re.na.ma.me.ma.i

ManoliIsFat posted:

No see, that's exactly the thing. House is a real genre, and its got a bunch of related sub-genres. Same with dnb, liquid is not the same thing as darkstep, but they recognize a common lineage. IDM is a bunch of disparate stuff exceedingly more than house or a lot of other blanket terms are. I hate to be a cock about it, but its necessary inorder to really "get" any of this poo poo beyond a bunch of mp3s in a playlist.

But what really is the need to "get" any of this poo poo? When you read "IDM Megathread" I bet you had a pretty solid idea in your mind about what was going to be contained in here - a mix of ambient, breakcore, illbient and braindance, with some glitch and randomness thrown in for good measure.

It is possible to separate the releases mentioned, categorize them, and so on, but what purpose does it really aid? Both Aphex Twin and Autechre are good examples of this - they both make an array of music and thus are not easily categorized as artists.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not some breakcore nut in here to start a fight. I've been trying to following IDM for as long as I've known about it; about 8 years, admittedly a small length of time in comparison to both the genre and other followers.

insomne posted:

I definitely see what you're saying and I agree with you 100%, but it'd be really, really boring to have a thread just discussing "illbient" or whatever you want...So why can't be all be friends and discuss both Kid606 and Boards of Canada!

Noticed this as I was writing my post - my point exactly :-) Now let's get back to talking about some awesome music anyway!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

If you guys really like Wisp, you can go talk to him, he posts over at watmm.com as 'thanks robert moses' (as does Global Goon, at least was for a long time, as Syntheme).

Jive Turkey
Oct 28, 2005
Mean Mamma Jamma
Does Flying Lotus count as IDM? Even if it doesn't, I recommend you check out his new album "Cosmogramma"...it's fantastic.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
the one thing that I do love about the whole scene is the amount of "quality" free stuff that is out on the net (read: not pirated), in the form of netlabels. Seems like there are a lot of netlabels that offer a majority of their releases up and are just awesome. While there are pay releases, most of their stuff is open, as their whole focus is to get the music out there under a creative commons license.

Kahvi Collective http://www.kahvi.org/ is a great example of being able to find some outstanding music and artists legitimately, that run the spectrum between ambient, chill, and IDM, and techno. Well worth diving into and exploring. (Suggest: Planet Boelex, 4D Thieves, DJ Polaski, Abyssal Plains to start)

Another good netlabel that I have really enjoyed is Thinner http://www.thinner.cc/pages/home.php
Their artists run the spectrum of minimal, micro, dub, experimental, techno, house, and ambient. While not your standard "IDM" flavor it does cross some nice boarders and I have often used this stuff in DJ sets, notched down 5-10 BPMs

there are TONS more labels out there.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Listen to Ochre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5rugyj5mI

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

acker posted:

I don't know why but the thought of Aphex Twin taking a poo poo in front of an audience is hilarious

back on the subject, I got The Shimmering Hour by Wisp and it's quite good. I also took a glimpse at the Wisp Archive a while ago (I think someone linked it last page also) and there seems to be quite a bit of free stuff there. Any recommendations in particular?

Try out Honor Beats and We Miss You.

toadee posted:

If you guys really like Wisp, you can go talk to him, he posts over at watmm.com as 'thanks robert moses' (as does Global Goon, at least was for a long time, as Syntheme).

Isn't Syntheme another person entirely? I've heard that it's an alterego of Global Goon but I think it's supposedly supposed to be this girl.

Jive Turkey posted:

Does Flying Lotus count as IDM? Even if it doesn't, I recommend you check out his new album "Cosmogramma"...it's fantastic.

Sort of, there's definitely a ton of influence (listen to tracks like Zodiac poo poo, you can really hear it). I guess technically it's considered wonky and there's a thread for that already but you can talk about him here for sure, too, because a lot of his poo poo would be considered IDM. Cosmogramma is awesome, you should check out Lone, Nosaj Thing, Ras G, TAKE, TOKiMONSTA, among others.

insomne fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 19, 2010

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Echoing The Flashbulb. I had the great pleasure of hanging out with him, and Richard Devine, a few years back. My friend is pretty good friends with Benn (had Thanksgiving at his place a few years back, they met on WATMM).

Richard is one of the funniest guy you might ever meet. He was honestly a lot more fun to be around than Benn; always making jokes. If you haven't listened to Devine, I would suggest Asect:Dsect to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfZxf3lyt4

(youtube quality audio does not do this much justice)

MOKED SALMO
Feb 2, 2009
Amon Tobin Makes pretty active/catchy music with a much greater focus on samples than on synthesized sounds.

Apparat [Earlier] [Later] Has a pretty wide variety of stuff. His album Multifunktionsebene is spot-on my personal definition of IDM, and his later work sometimes has vocals and is a little more pop-ish.

Arovane Likes the harpsichord. (At least on his album Tides)

Ed Harrison Made a really kickass soundtrack for the HL2 mod Neotokyo. It's a steal at $10 for over 2 hours of great music.

Esem is one of many great artists on the Merck label.

Ibakusha is a little slower and vaguely eerie.

Landau is another Merck artist.

Secede [More] wrote my favorite IDM track ever with the help of Kettel (both Merck artists). A lot of his stuff is pretty much ambient, but he also has some very upbeat and melodic tracks.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

insomne posted:

Isn't Syntheme another person entirely? I've heard that it's an alterego of Global Goon but I think it's supposedly supposed to be this girl.

He hired her to stand in front of laptops at Syntheme shows. It started to unravel a bit when people from watmm she supposedly had been talking to online came up to her and said 'hey it's xxxx from watmm!' and she had no idea what they were talking about. Chris Moss Acid was the first to point out she's a party promoter named Lou I believe from Bournemouth UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

toadee posted:

He hired her to stand in front of laptops at Syntheme shows. It started to unravel a bit when people from watmm she supposedly had been talking to online came up to her and said 'hey it's xxxx from watmm!' and she had no idea what they were talking about. Chris Moss Acid was the first to point out she's a party promoter named Lou I believe from Bournemouth UK.

That's pretty funny. Seems she's still playing shows and stuff. I wonder if The Tuss is kind of the same deal. There's pretty much like a 1% chance it's not RDJ.

• Locked thread