Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

insomne posted:

Whoooaa, that's really surprising. I guess he does have that new album coming out. That sounds pretty amazing, especially at around 3:13. I heard a rumor about a Selected Ambient Works 3 or something, and this definitely fits the bill. Awesome.

I don't know, it sounds a bit too hectic to be on a SAW release.

That said it's aphex twin so who knows what he'll do. SAW III will probably be 50 ventolin remixes just to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Where's a good place to start with The Black Dog / Plaid. Their back catalogue is so giant it's hard to tell.

If if helps i'm massively into Aphex Twin and all his assorted aliases, Boards Of Canada, Autechre, Flying Lotus, Prefuse 73 and everything in between. Warp is pretty much the best thing in the world is really what I'm saying here.

On a similar note I recently purchased this book and am now waiting for it to arrive. Can't wait.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Thanks for the suggestions on those artists guys.

Thought I'd give back by noting a semi-local act I really like, Seekae. They're from Sydney and apparently play gigs around uni schedules so I still haven't managed to see them live (I'm in Melbourne) but as soon as they're down here I'm going to be straight on that. As a whole they're pretty chilled, not entirely typical IDM. But then what is typical IDM really. I should point out youtube audio doesn't do these justice, the album's actually really well produced.

Some Songs :

Stampede - This one builds fairly gradually but when it gets there its great.
Bord - Quite BoC influenced I feel.
Yurai - I just like this :3

Also he was mentioned in the first post but Tycho isn't getting enough love either, can't wait for his next album which he's said isn't too far off:

http://blog.iso50.com/2010/05/19/tycho-album-progress/

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Ever since the Brian eno album was announced I have been in a perpetual state of orgasm. One of the most influential and prolific musicians alive doing an album on warp? Orgasm.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

charlesmanjr posted:

I've been experimenting a little here and there with making IDM myself, as it is mostly what I find myself listening to, and therefore would likewise try to make music of the style.
I'm actually studying to be a composer, but I have quite the soft spot for electronic music.
Anyone wanna give me beats a listen? I just need some feedback because I don't know how good/bad I am. :psylon:
http://soundcloud.com/cgblanco/in-orbit

This is pretty awesome. Kind of reminds me of Nosaj Thing. I'd like to hear more too.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Brian Eno just put up the first taste of his new album on Warp and it's every bit as awesome as I had assumed it would be.

http://brian-eno.net/listen/

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

Flying Lotus posted:

Flying Lotus oh yea, so if you didnt know,... Me, GLK and HudmO will tour Australia and NEw Zealand around New Years. More info soon

:allears:

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

NeoSeeker posted:

Aphex twin doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would do drugs. Though i'm just making this judgment from what i read on wikipedia.

He's quoted in other interviews saying none of his music is made whilst under the influence of drugs.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
The SAW sample comes from willy wonka as noted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R15AS5LIJWI) but originally it's from Arthur O'Shaughnessy's book Music and Moonlight (1874).

code:
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Okay, getting caught up with the thread, I spotted this several pages back:

However:

Okay, would anyone who's not a foreigner plebe care to transcribe the title and description? Please? Pretty please?

Timeless - John Abercrombie

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

insomne posted:

Holy poo poo this is loving awesome.

Seconding this, that is indeed awesome. I look forward to the record.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

nominal posted:

Regarding the Benn Jordan criticism from several pages back:
The Flashbulb - Interior SD
I love this track and the violin nearly moves me to tears every time. I really enjoy a lot of his stuff. Not all of it, but some. I don't see him as a pioneer or anything, but I really like his varied instrumentation (he's not afraid to go piano or guitar) and occasional vocals. He also often has this haunted, ghostly thing going on that I really like, which is weird, because I usually don't get into the whole supernatural thing at all:
Flashbulb - California Dreaming

I can see where people are coming from with his rather extensive and for the most part un-edited back catalogue, some of it is a bit hit and miss; but Arboreal was one of my favourite albums of 2010 and Love As A Dark Hallway is so far one of my favourites of 2011. He's hit on a pretty awesome sound that I hope he continues to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
I kind of want to know what spiel oiseaux would have gone on had you just said showtunes or gospel now...

• Locked thread