Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1161 »
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Man of the Rising Sun

So the Big Show, Tom Morello, Vince Vaughan, and one of the GoT showrunners get together at Joe Manganiello's house to play D&D...

No, there's no punchline. It wasn't a joke.

https://variety.com/2020/biz/featur...ign-1234585006/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

There’s a ton of accents in the show. Some straight up dialect too.

Lotte and all the working class people she hands out with speak with a strong Berlin accent. You can really hear it in how she says “ich” as “ick”

Gereon talks with a very clean Rheinland accent. That’s pretty close to what you’d think of as standard Hochdeutsch, which is probably why it sounds more “university” to you.

Bruno (the stocky detective) has a pretty thick accent that I kind of chalked as rural. The IMDb page for the actor says he’s from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern so that scans.

In general, when you get rural you find dialect used a lot more day to day, which means that when they go someplace else and speak hochdeutsch you get a more pronounced accent. So someone who grew up in bum gently caress nowhere Bavaria is going to have a thicker accent then someone who grew up in Munich, although they will both have a “southern” accent. Kind of the difference between someone who grew up in Nashville and has a little twang vs someone who grew up in a holler out near the Carolina border and has a full blown drawl.

Ok smart guy, what about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dH403pqRU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

So the Big Show, Tom Morello, Vince Vaughan, and one of the GoT showrunners get together at Joe Manganiello's house to play D&D...

No, there's no punchline. It wasn't a joke.

https://variety.com/2020/biz/featur...ign-1234585006/

They almost sold me on it, but thereís just nothing on earth to overcome Vince Vaughnís Aura of Insufferability

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

God that one always makes me cringe so hard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Holy God. I never thought I'd hear someone speak worse than myself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

There are entire neighborhoods that used to speak today way when I was a kid in Texas.

Not daily outside, but within the home with older generations.

There is a weird method to the madness vis a vid grammar I've heard, but I know poo poo about German.

German R disappears all over unless it's a uniquely German word for one thing. This makes sense if you think about Texas accents and letter dropping.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Someone posted this in the meme thread and if you have seen Ken Burns Civil War you absolutely need to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANois3n-Cs

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Someone posted this in the meme thread and if you have seen Ken Burns Civil War you absolutely need to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANois3n-Cs

I feel like I'm missing something on this one. Is there something beyond changing E Lee to ET and the bad photoshops?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lee and T rhyme.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Kindle sales of note today:

The Shining, by Stevie K. He's just fun to read, most of the time.

The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. Generally regarded as a pretty good historical novel writer. Haven't read this, heard good things.

Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe. Don't know poo poo about this, might buy it myself if it turns out to be well-regarded. I'm interested in The Troubles, and I know some other people in TFR have mentioned the same.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pillars of the earth is really good. Itís a trashy romance novel layered on a pretty good mystery book and all thatís wrapped around a REALLY good procedural about building a cathedral.

If bouncing back and forth between pretty accurate descriptions of how to build a cathedral in the Middle Ages then bouncing over to a whodunnit before stopping off with star crossed lovers boning down in a hay loft sounds good do I have a book for you.

Seriously though itís good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Started second season of What We Do in the Shadows last night.

Funny as all hell. Worth a watch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pillars of the earth is really good. Itís a trashy romance novel layered on a pretty good mystery book and all thatís wrapped around a REALLY good procedural about building a cathedral.

If bouncing back and forth between pretty accurate descriptions of how to build a cathedral in the Middle Ages then bouncing over to a whodunnit before stopping off with star crossed lovers boning down in a hay loft sounds good do I have a book for you.

Seriously though itís good.

Gotta agree with all of this.

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Started second season of What We Do in the Shadows last night.

Funny as all hell. Worth a watch.

This season has been incredible, this week's in particular.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

This season has been incredible, this week's in particular.

I thought the series took a few episodes to get funny in the first season. But comedy is loving difficult and it takes writes/actors time to find their groove i. e. Parks and Rec's first season.

But now it's one of the loving funniest shows on TV.

I'm also really looking forward to the new Tim and Eric show - Beefhouse. I legit think they are comedy geniuses who influenced the comedy world more than can be quantified.

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I thought the series took a few episodes to get funny in the first season. But comedy is loving difficult and it takes writes/actors time to find their groove i. e. Parks and Rec's first season.

But now it's one of the loving funniest shows on TV.

I'm also really looking forward to the new Tim and Eric show - Beefhouse. I legit think they are comedy geniuses who influenced the comedy world more than can be quantified.

I saw an episode of Beefhouse during their live tour before it aired. It was hilarious! The live show was something else, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

I saw an episode of Beefhouse during their live tour before it aired. It was hilarious! The live show was something else, too.

I saw then live in Nashville with John C. Reilly doing Steve Brule. It was loving amazing and also confirmed something my friends and I had been thinking for years - Tim and Eric are extremely competent musicians. At the end they started playing some of their songs in different styles, both playing guitar. Both of them can play for drat sure.

Hearing a slow jam of, "Sweet Lady/Get Your Poke On" was one of the funniest moments of my life.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Kindle sales of note today:

The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. Generally regarded as a pretty good historical novel writer. Haven't read this, heard good things.

there was a miniseries adaptation about a decade ago that was pretty good, had Ian McShane in it, a fresh faced Eddie Redmayne, and Hayley Atwell. give that a glance too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN

Binge watched a Hollywood story with my wife this week. What did people think of it? Had a predictably cheesy ending but it is kind of an interesting "what if" in terms of inclusion in Hollywood in 1948.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Watched Extraction last night. Was the most generic action movie I've seen in a while, although it had higher production values than your average direct to video. Took a little bit of influence from the Raid, but none of the opponents were as colorful or skilled.

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah it was kinda whatever. Best scene was when he beat the crap out of the kids

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Friend got me to start watching 90 day fiance, poo poo it's good. Daya just straight up constantly punking that dude in Washington, and the guy with the Brazilian girlfriend driving around in a car without the interior of the door panel on. A+++ good television.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I'm almost done with the first three seasons or Vikings -

Predictions - Ragnar is going to get killed by a literal snake. He always gives people second chances (Rollo, Floki, Horik's son, Borg, King "Feelin'-A-Little-Heavy, and more I'm probably forgetting. Now he is constantly playing with snakes and maybe just ate one while tripping on Eastern medicine.

He is somehow going to turn Ivar the Boneless into a villain for some convoluted Viking reasons.

Floki will somehow survive to the end of the series to infuriate me.

He isn't the only character I feel this way about. People seem to be a little too blasť about people trying to kill them. Yeah, I know this is loosely based on real people doing real things. I'd say the same if it was 100% historically accurate storytelling as well.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

NightGyr posted:

Watched Extraction last night. Was the most generic action movie I've seen in a while, although it had higher production values than your average direct to video. Took a little bit of influence from the Raid, but none of the opponents were as colorful or skilled.

It was simple and well executed. The yellow filter was pretty ridiculous though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Is this the John Brown series we've been waiting for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I've read a lot on Brown and he's fascinated me since I was a kid, but I'll file that under the hope to be pleasantly surprised category.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. I hope it's well done and good but I'm not super into the wacky vibe from that trailer.

That said, trailers are trailers so . . .

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Seems like they're being true to the book, which I haven't read, but got mixed reviews and isn't considered to be historically accurate (and I don't know if it was intended to be). I'll probably watch it if it gets good reviews, but that's what I'm expecting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

An article about the making of the best movie of the 2010s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/...al-history.html

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

canyoneer posted:

An article about the making of the best movie of the 2010s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/...al-history.html

quote:

I donít know ... if it was the email I got from Mel Gibsonís wife asking me how many Muslims there may or may not be in Namibia and, therefore, how interested she may or may not be in the whole family coming to visit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whatís that trick to getting at nyctimes articles without dealing with the paywall?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whatís that trick to getting at nyctimes articles without dealing with the paywall?

I installed this addon

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-firefox

It requires manual install because the browser devs can't be seen to be condoning it, and every time you load the first browser instance of the day, you have to click a box saying "developer mode can be bad!", but it's been great apart from that

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. I hope it's well done and good but I'm not super into the wacky vibe from that trailer.

That said, trailers are trailers so . . .

My understanding of John Brown was that he was very much an over the top fire and brimstone sort, but also that his cause was just and his motives were pure.

I guess having such a clearly righteous fight can afford a man a little bombast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

My understanding of John Brown was that he was very much an over the top fire and brimstone sort, but also that his cause was just and his motives were pure.

I guess having such a clearly righteous fight can afford a man a little bombast.

Itís not the bombast that bothers me itís how parts of they seem to be going for comedic effect. It could just be trailer editing but a lot of the timing and such is comedic in that trailer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

Itís not the bombast that bothers me itís how parts of they seem to be going for comedic effect. It could just be trailer editing but a lot of the timing and such is comedic in that trailer.

The book was written to be somewhat comedic and has been compared to Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Somebody say John Brown

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/7...store_id=163089

( It's on saaaaaaaaale )

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Somebody say John Brown

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/7...store_id=163089

( It's on saaaaaaaaale )

"Caution is Cowardice" is very close to being one of the driving slogans behind the idiots who won't wear masks. That's not a shirt I'd want to wear right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Caution is Cowardice" is very close to being one of the driving slogans behind the idiots who won't wear masks. That's not a shirt I'd want to wear right now.

Don't let your message be co-opted.

Besides, their real creed is die for the Dow.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 14, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

A.o.D. posted:

Don't let your message be co-opted.

I just prefer not to wear anything that could be even remotely interpreted as a political statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I just prefer not to wear anything that could be even remotely interpreted as a political statement.

What isn't a political statement in 2020?

«1161 »