Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1161 »
Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Akion posted:

What isn't a political statement in 2020?

I was going to say "I like cake" but then I realized someone on Tumblr or Twitter will definitely find that offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Akion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Imagine an effortpost about how lack of strong feels is a tacit endorsement of status quo etc blah blah words

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

God drat moderates!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

The only shirts I wear with anything other than a pattern have a parrot on them.

The internet is a great place if you want to represent that cockatiel life.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A.o.D. posted:

Don't let your message be co-opted.

Besides, their real creed is die for the Dow.

The Dow that one can die for is not the true Dow

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Brooklyn 99 was definitely the kind of comedy I needed. Long overdue, but timing works out I guess.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Akion posted:

"As soon as I shove this hot poker up my rear end, I'm going to chop my dick off!"

If you don't get the joke. Relevant bit starts @ 24 seconds.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s that trick to getting at nyctimes articles without dealing with the paywall?
Plug it into http://archive.is, no browser extension needed; if it's from one of the major news sites it's guaranteed to already have been archived and will load almost instantly.

It also stops the site from getting pageview ad revenue, so it's a good resource for referencing articles on sites run by shitheads without lining their pockets in the process.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/CharlizeAfrica/...045737460166657

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Akion posted:

God drat moderates!

All extremists should be shot.

canyoneer posted:

The Dow that one can die for is not the true Dow

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

It's on the 3rd season now I think but we are digging The Crown.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Well, that just led me to this

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-furiosa-p...ax-m-1843468552

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

mllaneza posted:

All extremists should be shot.

only a sith deals in absolutes

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does this mean that he and Warner figured out the pay dispute?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I just finished Waco and boy, do I have some feelings.

I had to study Waco in college over fifteen years ago, so I'm really wondering what I'm remembering correctly. Can you folk help me fill in the blanks? -

- Did the Davidians fire guns during the teargas attacks?
- How many self inflicted gunshot wounds were there?
- What proof was there of Davidians setting fires?
- What, exactly, was the child abuse? I seem to remember to heavy, and gross as gently caress, stuff being done by Koresh.

gently caress whoever decided to go loud in that situation. I had it misremembered as 35 people died, not 35 people escaped.

I still think that series portrayed Koresh in a way too favorable light, but I'm open to getting some knowledge dropped on me. I loving loathe cults and zealot religious bullshit. But those people didn't deserve getting burned alive.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Depends on who you ask. There were a number of self inflicted/davidian inflicted wounds on the dead, suggesting murder/suicides. There's also been an independent arson test that suggests the Davidians lit it up, as well as tapes of davidians talking about spreading the fuel.

That said, some on TFR and elsewhere say that's all bullshit government misinformation, and while I don't buy that I can absolutely see how they'd get there with how badly handled this and ruby ridge were.

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 16, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Was going through my library of history books, and looking at all the very serious, very stern names. Shattered Sword. Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Etc. Gave me hope that someone will write a very serious, excellent book that can't be ignored; and then give it a loving stupid name.

Cyrano, write a book about the Nazi war economy and call it Number Go Krupp.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't think I've ever wanted to read a book more in my entire life

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

My Tank Is Fight?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm sold, where can I get it?

I think the only history book I have with a very serious, but generic sounding, title that I have is a book about the 30 year war called "A great suffering has come upon us."

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 17, 2020

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

NightGyr posted:

My Tank Is Fight?
I feckin' loved that book, now I'm pissed that I have no idea which pile of unsorted books it's in.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I thought the fictional prose was really drat good. The one about the German soldier sticks with me for some reason.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

NightGyr posted:

My Tank Is Fight?

Not sure I'd call it serious. But it is good.

I actually found a copy of My Tank Is Fight while on my trip to see my partner and bought it on the spot. We found it in a glorious used book store that she frequented and I was lucky enough to get into. I also bought a moleskin that was gussied up as a passport to Hell.

Need to get back to finishing that book. Having ADHD is being ???? through about eight books at a time.

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

My favorite part about all the Neutral Leader videos on Youtube is, go to the actual video, look at the likes/dislikes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

- What, exactly, was the child abuse? I seem to remember to heavy, and gross as gently caress, stuff being done by Koresh.

There's the sexual abuse stuff, with a 14 year old "wife"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

There's the sexual abuse stuff, with a 14 year old "wife"

For some reason I thought there was more. Not trying to minimize the horror of that one, though.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

The rear end in a top hat essentially started his babyfucking cult for the primary reason of convincing all of his followers that they needed to turn over their girlchildren to him to be ~~purified~~ with his dick. He also made it a requirement that he be able to gently caress the wives of his followers as well, but that was secondary to the systematic child surprise sex.

Remember that when any kneejerk shitheads stray off the universally-approved path of dumping on the horrific inhumanity and gross incompetence of the various Alphabet Agencies and try to hold up the Branch Davidians as some kind of plucky rebel heroes standing up against The Man™; it was a child surprise sex cult, and those pieces of poo poo willingly and enthusiastically delivered their own children up to be sexually assaulted by their trailer park reject messiah.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

The surprising thing for me was finding out John Leglazamo's character was basically real. His character seemed a little too familiar from these types of stories and the fact the real world counterpart had a different name seemed to confirm it, but there actually was a guy who went in, found out they knew, tried to stop the raid, and then was subsequently blamed for the raid by the people who ignored him.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Was he reporting all the underage poo poo? I wonder how that went.

Informant: Guys this super creepy sexpest dude is convincing people that he needs their children for sex
ATF, FBI: meh whatever we'll get on that when we get on that
Informant: uhhh ok not the response I expected, there might also be some gun shenanigans?
ATF, FBI: TIME TO GIT SUM HELL YEAH TUFF DOOD HOURS WELCOME TO THE BIG BOYS CLUB ATF AIN'T IT GREAT HOLDER MILITARIZED YOU TAX LADS??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Let me say this - gently caress the ATF and FBI. Everything about Waco was an absolute clusterfuck they worsened at every turn.

But I watched that series and it really portrayed the Davidians as people "Just living their lives." It even made a point of playing the radio announcer saying, "If you have a problem with a guy marrying a fourteen year old, you have a problem with the laws - not the Davidians."

It didn't really portray Koresh as a child rapist, which he was.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

It didn't really portray Koresh as a child rapist, which he was.

He literally takes a child by the hand after her fake marriage to his bedroom while she looks over her shoulder.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

He literally takes a child by the hand after her fake marriage to his bedroom while she looks over her shoulder.

I guess I missed that. I thought he just told her new husband he had to leave the women's quarters.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Was he reporting all the underage poo poo? I wonder how that went.

Don't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure the Branch Davidians had previously concealed it when someone from CPS visited the compound. Keep in mind that the ATF investigators' cover was blown well before the raid, so that stuff would definitely have been kept under wraps around them.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Somebody Awful posted:

Don't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure the Branch Davidians had previously concealed it when someone from CPS visited the compound. Keep in mind that the ATF investigators' cover was blown well before the raid, so that stuff would definitely have been kept under wraps around them.

I remember hearing a few claims that the feds had all they needed to move on Koresh, and had ample opportunity, but the ATF wanted to play with their new toys in some big show of chest beating force.

Good poo poo, guys. A+

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I cannot loving comprehend who decided it was smarter to GO LOUD, as opposed to grabbing the dude while he was out jogging.

I'll never forget being ten years old and seeing those ATF agents get shot to poo poo on the roof. I remember saying to my Dad, "Was that real?" for him to respond, "Yep. You can show that during primetime, but not a topless women."

It stuck in my young brain.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I cannot loving comprehend who decided it was smarter to GO LOUD, as opposed to grabbing the dude while he was out jogging.

For whatever it's worth, the Treasury Department's postmortem report claims the raid's planners were told by visitors and former cult members that Koresh rarely left the compound, and initially considered ways to lure him out for an arrest. They wanted to avoid a repeat of the 1985 ATF-FBI siege of a white supremacist fundie militia in Arkansas, during which the bad guys had time to destroy many of their illegal weapons and other evidence before surrendering, and feared (again based on ex-member testimony) that Koresh might have instructed his followers to commit mass suicide in the event of a siege. ATF agents erroneously believed that many of the male Davidians were engaged in digging a foundation pit without armed guards, while their weapons were kept locked in a secure room. Therefore ATF thought a surprise raid would allow them to secure the compound before most of Koresh's followers could arm themselves.

Obviously none of this changes the fact that the whole operation was arranged and executed with incredible sloppiness, using inadequate intelligence, risible OPSEC, and no contingency plan for when things went wrong.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The mass suicide thing can't be downplayed. Jonestown was way up in everyone's minds in the mid-90s in a way that it isn't today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Extremely wild that the ATF/FBI shooter guys rolled up in borrowed horse trailers. That's some sort of improvisation you'd not expect in a US law enforcement operation

«1161 »