Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1161 »
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Somebody Awful posted:

For whatever it's worth, the Treasury Department's postmortem report claims the raid's planners were told by visitors and former cult members that Koresh rarely left the compound, and initially considered ways to lure him out for an arrest. They wanted to avoid a repeat of the 1985 ATF-FBI siege of a white supremacist fundie militia in Arkansas, during which the bad guys had time to destroy many of their illegal weapons and other evidence before surrendering, and feared (again based on ex-member testimony) that Koresh might have instructed his followers to commit mass suicide in the event of a siege. ATF agents erroneously believed that many of the male Davidians were engaged in digging a foundation pit without armed guards, while their weapons were kept locked in a secure room. Therefore ATF thought a surprise raid would allow them to secure the compound before most of Koresh's followers could arm themselves.

Obviously none of this changes the fact that the whole operation was arranged and executed with incredible sloppiness, using inadequate intelligence, risible OPSEC, and no contingency plan for when things went wrong.

Which one was this? Not sure I remember any of these in Arkansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

These guys.

One other point to remember re: Waco is that Koresh himself had previously taken part in armed violence during a power struggle inside the Branch Davidians.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Log posted:

I cannot loving comprehend who decided it was smarter to GO LOUD, as opposed to grabbing the dude while he was out jogging.

Yeah just, like, drive up with a couple guys in a truck.

My roommate is watching twin peaks and it's making me really mad that there's not more games from Remedy, but not mad enough to play Quantum Break. Meanwhile, I watch one episode of Futurama with dinner and I'm almost done...before that was The Simpsons so I think next will be ... King of the Hill?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've been watching The Wire, finally. I'm on S5 and I need to take a break from TV shows where bad poo poo continuously happens. :\

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

go watch Justified.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sneaky Pete is good too. All 3 seasons are cool in their own ways

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN

How is the Snowpiercer series? I enjoyed the film, and was curious about the TV show.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

They did a thing for probably my favourite movie: https://www.starwars.com/empire-40th

Check out Zorro Fett

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jehde posted:

Check out Zorro Fett

More like the Fett With No Name.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

More like the Fett With No Name.

Yessss

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Panfilo posted:

How is the Snowpiercer series? I enjoyed the film, and was curious about the TV show.

First episode was a bit muddled and a bit eh. I'll give it a go for the next couple, shows rarely find their feet after just one episode.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Finally watched MacGruber start to finishthis morning, and man Iím glad I did.

Pulling the blaupunkt head unit every single time he parked his car was a really good running gag.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Panfilo posted:

They apparently turned it into a police procedural, which gives me Concerns about how much they understood of the source material (or care about it).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Finished Babylon Berlin season three and really want more. That was just an all around, excellent show.

I also love Lotte and the Buddha. Hell, I love all the characters.

Tried picking up Fargo again (up to episode six in season one) because Billy Bob Thornton is one of my very favorite actors. That show depresses me with a side of anxiety for some reason.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They apparently turned it into a police procedural, which gives me Concerns about how much they understood of the source material (or care about it).

Snowpiercing being turned into copaganda with an underlying tone of "the underclasses should do as they're told to uphold the status quo of the affluent" seems extremely on brand for 2020.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

This opening bit on Red Letter Mediaís review of a Star Wars movie made me burst out laughing.

https://youtu.be/Kc2kFk5M9x4

I used to be a huge, die hard fan. Now I feel exactly like them because I must be old.

ďIT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!Ē

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Tried picking up Fargo again (up to episode six in season one) because Billy Bob Thornton is one of my very favorite actors. That show depresses me with a side of anxiety for some reason.

It really does give the viewer anxiety! Such a good show.

The other seasons gave me a LITTLE less anxiety, but were still nerve-wracking.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Itís really well made television, Iím just not sure itís for me.

Oh, I noticed two backwards Holos during a gun battle. How does the set Armorer let that happen? The only show that actively does a good job with guns is Blacklist. Which just got renewed. I appreciated the effort that went into them animating the finale, but it was laugh out loud bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Memento posted:

First episode was a bit muddled and a bit eh. I'll give it a go for the next couple, shows rarely find their feet after just one episode.

I'm trying to think of a show which had a better first episode than BSG's 33

which was after the miniseries so it was kind of cheating but in terms of first actual broadcast episode of a show, I'm not sure I've seen something that topped it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

33 was a hell of a short film

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Considering how great a lot of the BSG stuff was, it's a cryin shame about the last like, season or two.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

I'm trying to think of a show which had a better first episode than BSG's 33

which was after the miniseries so it was kind of cheating but in terms of first actual broadcast episode of a show, I'm not sure I've seen something that topped it

That's possibly the finest 45 minutes of broadcast television that has ever existed. 33, Charlie Work and The Late Phillip J. Fry are my three favourite episodes of TV ever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Considering how great a lot of the BSG stuff was, it's a cryin shame about the last like, season or two.

God yes. It just killed the show for me in a way that makes rewatching it not really a thing I want to do.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006

Fun Shoe

^^^ I'm gonna rewatch it and pretend that it ends when they find the nuked "Earth." That would've been a depressing, but okay ending.

CainFortea posted:

Yeah

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

I got in on BSG towards the back half and it was cool

Then it was not

Never saw the forward half cause wowee that sure soured the whole dang experience alright

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've rewatched it since then. I just stop when I hear all along the watchtowers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

I've rewatched it since then. I just stop when I hear all along the watchtowers.

Also a good point to drop the show.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I really love BSG as an exploration in finding meaning amongst a nihilistic universe.

But I have no idea what the story did at the end. I've looked at charts. I've read synopsis after synopsis. My brain processes the information, but cannot make it cogent.

I'm unsure if the writers know how to do so, even having written the story themselves.

(I still loved it)

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

It is pretty well known that they were making it up as they went along. They didn't even know who all the Cylons were until late in the show, and the numbers were essentially thrown out at random. So when they wanted to out existing characters as Cylon sleepers, all they had left were low numbers, suggesting we should have seen them before. So they came up with the Evil Master Plan to justify it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It definitely suffered a bit from not being able to decide for themselves where the end point would be. Itís hard to do a long game story when you have to also plan for the possibility you wonít get a second/third/fourth season.

I also think the New Caprica occupation arc up to the fate of the Pegasus was probably the last high point. After that it kinda faded, which is a huge bummer.

I have a really strong emotional memory of finally being able to spend quality time with my dad watching SG-1, Atlantis, and Battlestar together every Friday night after work when I moved back in with my dad in my early 20s after my parents divorced. Somehow our schedules finally lined up perfectly for us to have a dependable time to spend together for a year or two.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

I have a really strong emotional memory of finally being able to spend quality time with my dad watching SG-1, Atlantis, and Battlestar together every Friday night after work when I moved back in with my dad in my early 20s after my parents divorced. Somehow our schedules finally lined up perfectly for us to have a dependable time to spend together for a year or two.

Even though I was a bit older, TV time with my Dad is pretty precious to me. Some of my favorite memories were growing up and watching Star Trek TNG/DS9 with him as a kid.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Just binge watched S1 of The Great on Hulu. It's very open about being "occasionally" based on a true story and made some anachronistic decisions for the sake of inclusivity, but it works and the writing is dark and hilarious.

If it has one drawback, it's Nicholas Hoult being too damned likeable as Piotr III.

9/10 - would throw a glass and yell Huzzah again.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

John Lithgow kills as Churchill in The Crown.

S2 was strong too. Phillip is great.

We just started S3 where they switched the actors out and found it jarring. Hoping the new crew finds their way.

There was a ton of U.K. history I had no exposure to. Itís definitely a historical drama heavy on both.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Log posted:

This opening bit on Red Letter Media’s review of a Star Wars movie made me burst out laughing.

https://youtu.be/Kc2kFk5M9x4

I used to be a huge, die hard fan. Now I feel exactly like them because I must be old.

“IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!”

I don't even need to click because I had the same reaction and I can still hear his shrill, desperate tone.

Man, I just saw looper last week; I'd been neglecting a really, really good movie.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I Demand Food posted:

Just binge watched S1 of The Great on Hulu. It's very open about being "occasionally" based on a true story and made some anachronistic decisions for the sake of inclusivity, but it works and the writing is dark and hilarious.

If it has one drawback, it's Nicholas Hoult being too damned likeable as Piotr III.

9/10 - would throw a glass and yell Huzzah again.

The only change I didn't understand was Sweden for Denmark.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't even need to click because I had the same reaction and I can still hear his shrill, desperate tone.

Man, I just saw looper last week; I'd been neglecting a really, really good movie.

"I CLAPPED!!!"

I've grown to really enjoy RLM. I'm thrilled to have found them as a coronavirus Youtube channel. The Mike, Jay, and Rich humor really reminds me of my old group of buddies. Also holy poo poo, Patton Oswalt and Tim Heidecker have been in their videos.

The reason I had an initial bad impression was due to being so used to awful YouTube poo poo, I didn't know they were pretending to be VCR Repairmen at first. I thought they were honest to god nerd store employees wearing ties and vests in an honest to God discussion.

(It was also a video with the overweight, balding, black bearded guy who I think isn't terribly funny. Nice guy, but not a comedian.)

I used to make funny videos with a friend from about 2000-2005. I really hate that Youtube wasn't a thing back then and video editing degrees were thought of as wasted money. I would have done that degree in a heartbeat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I only found out about RLM when I was rather vociferously accused of not having my own thoughts and just parroting them when I posted about what I didn't like in the prequel trilogy. It actually took dozens of pages for people to actually say what youtube channel they were talking about.

I disagree with them a fair bit, and I really hate that mister plinket gimmick. But they're better than most movie reviewers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

I only found out about RLM when I was rather vociferously accused of not having my own thoughts and just parroting them when I posted about what I didn't like in the prequel trilogy. It actually took dozens of pages for people to actually say what youtube channel they were talking about.

I disagree with them a fair bit, and I really hate that mister plinket gimmick. But they're better than most movie reviewers.

Considering they easy get over one million views a video, they are probably a lot more influential movie reviewers than whoever writes for Entertainment Weekly.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I don't agree with RLM all the time, but I would say the original reviews of the prequels are legitimately hilarious and a great insight for anyone who wants to start writing screenplays or books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

I came out of Looper feeling like I'd seen a sci fi classic. It's not perfect but I thought the same thing about it.

«1161 »