Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1161 »
I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Unreal_One posted:

The only change I didn't understand was Sweden for Denmark.

Easier to make meatball jokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Why does Netflix censor some shows? Or do they just run the copy they get from the producers? I was watching the new Rick and Morty, and there's a lot of swearing in the first 30 seconds, and it's all censored. I went to an unsavoury website and watched another version of the start, and it was uncensored - so some networks run it untouched. Why can't Netflix get that copy?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Memento posted:

Why does Netflix censor some shows? Or do they just run the copy they get from the producers? I was watching the new Rick and Morty, and there's a lot of swearing in the first 30 seconds, and it's all censored. I went to an unsavoury website and watched another version of the start, and it was uncensored - so some networks run it untouched. Why can't Netflix get that copy?

Are you sure you don't have parental controls turned on? Hell, name the episode and I'll test it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

let this be the day Memento realizes Netflix thinks they are 12 and enabled parental mode automatically

Sten Freak posted:

I came out of Looper feeling like I'd seen a sci fi classic. It's not perfect but I thought the same thing about it.

yeah, it's a good movie. So's Knives Out. It's almost like Rian Johnson... is good???

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 29, 2020

bloops
Dec 30, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Last Jedi is good because it actually had something to say on the whole Star Wars saga versus the Abrams-helmed movies that were essentially bread baked without salt in the dough.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Memento posted:

Blame Turner media. Adult Swim censors it for TV and it's sent to Netflix that way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are you sure you don't have parental controls turned on? Hell, name the episode and I'll test it.

The latest one, Childrick of Morty

Wasabi the J posted:

Blame Turner media. Adult Swim censors it for TV and it's sent to Netflix that way.

Right, since posting this I saw that there was a copy of Back to the Future 2 that Universal sent Netflix for streaming that was censored, so it's definitely the studios. But my less-than-legitimate watching of the same episode shows that there's copies of it that are sent to, I dunno, overseas markets or something, that aren't censored.

It's not a huge loss but hearing Summer call her grandfather a fuckboy was pretty funny.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

bloops posted:

Last Jedi is good because it actually had something to say on the whole Star Wars saga versus the Abrams-helmed movies that were essentially bread baked without salt in the dough.
Obviously this timeline is dumpster fires in every direction all the way to the horizon, but which timeline would you rather live in: Rian Johnson directing the final installment of Wars Among Stars, or the final season of Throne Games?

I knew as soon as "they were nobody" fell off the screen that there was no way in twee-Star-Wars-euphemism-for-gently caress that The Mandatory Princess Factory was going to have the guts to actually follow through on a bold-rear end concept like "everyone has the potential for greatness, you don't have to be born to it" that the first two of the last three movies had set up with Rey being sandy gutter trash and Finn being a nameless child soldier gone AWOL and Broody McEmopants being the superpowered son of two space heroes but going on to be the biggest incel douchebag in the galaxy, but goddamn I was still hoping.

Then the fuckers went and beat the love of Star Wars out of John Freakin' Boyega, who looked like a little kid getting to meet The Real Santa Claus in videos of him on set from The Force Awakens. Rise Of Skywalker was just gross.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Psion posted:

let this be the day Memento realizes Netflix thinks they are 12 and enabled parental mode automatically

This just gave me an idea for a slightly mean prank to start pulling on my friends when we can start visiting one another again.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Iíve just started season five of Vikings. Iíll wait until Iíve finished before I post my proper thoughts.

Predictions - Ragnar is going to go to England and get betrayed by ďthe snakeĒ he has kept around, probably leading to him getting killed by King Feeling A Little Bloated.

Ivar is the new bad guy. I like the performance by the actor. He is literally crippled and menacing as gently caress.

Floki will somehow survive.

Harbard? Will gently caress some...people?

Ice Queen will side with Ivar and do something extremely uncomfortable to watch, with him.

Bjorn will continue to look really

Lagartha will be given nothing of interest to do.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Ragnar's snake is extremely hamfisted foreshadowing

Like if you know a little historical stuff you are getting punched in the face by someone with hams on their fists

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Iím very pro-Harbard because he was the best guy in The Strain.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Ragnar's snake is extremely hamfisted foreshadowing

Like if you know a little historical stuff you are getting punched in the face by someone with hams on their fists

Ragnar literally ate a live snake a few episodes ago.

He is going to get swallowed whole by a python, isn't he?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Ragnar literally ate a live snake a few episodes ago.

He is going to get swallowed whole by a python, isn't he?

Oh boy, nobody tell him.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This is gonna be great

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Oh, wait. King Heavy is going to eat Ragnar. While hissing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Finished Man in the High Castle.

That very last scene can go gently caress itself.

Understanding the concepts of quantum mechanics (not the mathematics) isn't that loving hard. Up until the end, it stayed pretty true to the whole multiverse thing, with rules. They had a rules up until the end, then they just went, "Uhhh.....maybe.....maybe we could have people start aimlessly walking around? Dead people? Ghosts? Ghost Mode People? Whatever." It really felt like they needed another season.

I've got nine episodes of Vikings left, where I'm sure Rollo is going to punch Ragnar in the face, then they yell, then Rollo is a drunk, then Rollo redeems himself, then Rollo hisses, then swallows Ragnar or something while a apparently ageless seer makes weird bear noises in the background.

I do really enjoy the performances by the actors playing Ragnar and Ivar. Ragnar is like a budget Tom Hardy.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I really enjoyed Man In The High Castle right up until the end. It felt like they had this great buildup to just a... wet fart of an ending scene.

They did such a great job of fleshing all the characters out, giving them their own motivations for their actions (good and bad). Then they just kind of threw a lot of them away at the end and were like "MIRACLES BITCHES!"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

I really enjoyed Man In The High Castle right up until the end. It felt like they had this great buildup to just a... wet fart of an ending scene.

They did such a great job of fleshing all the characters out, giving them their own motivations for their actions (good and bad). Then they just kind of threw a lot of them away at the end and were like "MIRACLES BITCHES!"

I am still reeling from how bad that last scene was. It made the end of Lost look profound.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's always sad when an otherwise great show has a terrible ending or they obviously couldn't figure out how to end it. Mr. Robot is another recent one - the first couple seasons were fantastic, but the final season just completely flopped. Parts of it were great - the acting was always on point, some of the subplots were great, but the general direction they went was just a scrambled mess.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Man I loved the first couple seasons of Mr. Robot. Didn't watch final so that is good to know.

The Crown, which no one else here appears to have watched, turned into a bit of a bore in S3. They switched out the entire cast as the story moved forward in time which didn't help either. It's just slow. I'd still recommend the first two seasons to anyone who is interested in the post war history of England, but you'd get more out of it if the gears of the monarchy are at all interesting to you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crown s2 s1 are good. If you like crown check pbsís Victoria.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

Man I loved the first couple seasons of Mr. Robot. Didn't watch final so that is good to know.

The Crown, which no one else here appears to have watched, turned into a bit of a bore in S3. They switched out the entire cast as the story moved forward in time which didn't help either. It's just slow. I'd still recommend the first two seasons to anyone who is interested in the post war history of England, but you'd get more out of it if the gears of the monarchy are at all interesting to you.

I tried to watch the Crown because of Jared Harris. But growing up in an antique shop with constant weird royal worshiping customers put a bad taste for royal family fandom in my entire family's mouth. We didn't really care about them one way or the other, but the Americans who thought we all dressed in Union Jacks while reading the tabloids about royals got old, fast.

I will say, seeing the Queen a few yards away from me during the 50 Anniversary VE Day Celebrations was unreal. I was seven and pretty in awe of everything, but the loving Queen was like a superhero if you grew up hearing about British ingenuity and resiliency during the blitz.

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's always sad when an otherwise great show has a terrible ending or they obviously couldn't figure out how to end it. Mr. Robot is another recent one - the first couple seasons were fantastic, but the final season just completely flopped. Parts of it were great - the acting was always on point, some of the subplots were great, but the general direction they went was just a scrambled mess.

Nah, Mr. Robot was incredible front to back.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Lost Mr Robot somewhere through S2, though I liked it and don't know why I drifted away. Agreed on Man in the High Castle, I liked it while watching it but the ending was absolutely trash and will likely make me not re-watch it (kinda like game of thrones I guess).

Could not get into the crown.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I thought Man in the High Castle was excellent because of how much it made you question yourself. It was hard to not "root" for certain abominable characters during certain story arcs. It really hammered home the whole Arendt "Banality of Evil" thing.

But that loving ending.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

Saving mr robot after first ep of the season. Hate to see it end. Also havenít watched last season of The Americans.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

gently caress the Americans was so drat good

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

All of these protests are really rubbing in how half-assed the riots in Westworld S3 were.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

It really was awesome but I will die on the hill that S5 (whatever the # of the penultimate season) was wayyyyy down in quality. At least the show redeemed itself with the final season and ended strong.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

It really was awesome but I will die on the hill that S5 (whatever the # of the penultimate season) was wayyyyy down in quality. At least the show redeemed itself with the final season and ended strong.

I won't disagree with you at all on that.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I thought Man in the High Castle was excellent because of how much it made you question yourself. It was hard to not "root" for certain abominable characters during certain story arcs. It really hammered home the whole Arendt "Banality of Evil" thing.

But that loving ending.

That was what really sold me on it. I know John Smith is the bad guy, but they did such a good job explaining his motivations and back story that you're still kind of like "drat I feel bad for this dude".

Same with Inspector Kido to a lesser degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

That was what really sold me on it. I know John Smith is the bad guy, but they did such a good job explaining his motivations and back story that you're still kind of like "drat I feel bad for this dude".

Same with Inspector Kido to a lesser degree.

Yeah, I felt a lot of uncomfortable sympathy for Smith. Truth be told, I think that's a more realistic response - how far would you go to keep you and your family alive? At what point does survival become collaboration? Is collaboration to survive ethical?

But then with five minutes left, "GHOSTS?!"

«1161 »