Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Just scheduled three consecutive Fridays in a row to watch the Cast Reunion edition of the three Lord of the Rings films at Alamo Drafthouse.
Steven Colbert is hosting all three. Fellowship has the four hobbits as guests. The Two Towers has Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, and Liv Tyler. Return of the King has two kings, Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen plus Andy Serkis.

Incredible. I remember when the Leagues were in Bakersfield, CA with their first theater and how cool it was that they had some of the surviving Munchkins there for a showing of The Wizard of Oz. I wonder if they saw this level of success in their future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Wanna take a moment to recommend, in particular, book four of the Einsenhorn series, The Magos. In addition to the main story ( which I haven't gotten to yet ), the book has a number of other, shorter stories- some pretty brief, some novellas. And they're good, solid stuff. Some of them tip more toward a kind of Agatha Christie/Conan Doyle style mystery, while others take the idea of a kind of Lovecraftian horror story and put it through the lens of a modern ( and better, less deranged ) writer in a different setting.

And that's pretty cool.

It's a really neat contrast to the bombastic drama of other books, like the Horus Heresy, or similar stories. It's far more about the ( largely human ) characters and the story itself, and makes even the introduction of a single creature quite a surprising event. You appreciate just how strong or terrifying a single creature can be to even a somewhat strong human with the best equipment when, instead of thousands of them, it's just a single entity.

For instance, there's a bit early on in the Horus Heresy books where the space marines land on a planet filled with giant spiders that have razors for legs. A storm above makes it impossible to communicate with ships above or withdraw. Communications are down. The entire planet is alien, strange, and overgrown. It's a bit like Eight Legged Freaks meets Vietnam. And it's fun watching robot men punch giant spiders on a planet they name Murder. It's even somewhat self-aware, but it's hard to appreciate the danger or threat.

Meanwhile, a single Ork shows up in an Eisenhorn story, and you know poo poo Is Going Down. It's scary. It's just charging down bullets and biting off faces like something out of Joe Rogan's chimp-induced nightmares, and all is chaos.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I started re-watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to celebrate the end of the semester, and my question is, which is the greater crime by Section 9's operatives:

1) Building mobile, self-aware weapons platforms with the intelligence, emotional development, and voices of 10-year-olds, literal AI child soldiers

Or

2) Carrying their handguns cavalry draw in all their tactical uniforms

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Second one because the Tachikomas are the best.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Their mechanical design is great, but everything about their characters and arc is terrible and undercuts all of the show's attempts to talk seriously about what the technologies undergirding their society mean for humanity.

E: Tachikoma are this guy, but instead of passing butter, they shoot people in the face, and no one thinks that's weird, change my mind.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Superstore has grown on me. It's trying so very hard to be Parks and Rec. The majority of episodes seem to be reskinned Office and Parks and Recs premises. But the show actually does a pretty good job with absurd humor, often in small bursts. Hell, Dina has even grown on me now that she is being played as more than a completely evil psycopath.

I can't stand Mateo or the main white guy. It says something if I can't remember the name of the person playing the lead role.

Although I just started an episode where all of Dina's pet parrots get let out into the cold. Not sure how I feel about that being played for yucks, but I'm overly sensitive after a lifetime of hearing people say, "Oh, you have birds? I bet they'd taste good!"

I'd be locked up if the first thing I said to a cat or dog owner was, "I'd sure enjoy killing and eating your beloved pet!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I love Superstore. Not 100%, but I love it. If course, I'm from the STL area, so when they talk about local places, I'm all like, "Soulard? I KNOW THAT NEIGHBORHOOD!"

When they brought in the Stanley Cup while "Gloria" was playing, I teared up a little.

Jonah's character is annoying, and I don't think I'm allowed to criticize Mateo's character, but I agree with you about them.

The bird thing gets brought up in a number of episodes, and it has an impact on character arcs to some degree.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

The Snyder version is the best Justice League movie to date.

Its not a great movie, but its better than the turd Whedon pooped out. Probably 6/10 more good than bad, but still a decent amount of bad.

It could have been cut to 3 hours easily, a lot of vanity shots, a lot of unnecessary stuff. Way too much slo-mo. A lot of scenes you could tell Snyder thought looked cool so he put them in even though it doesn't add anything.

Visuals and CGI were WAY better even though it felt goofy with the IMAX aspect ration on my home theater.

Cut The entire Epilouge

Cut all the Martian Manhunter scenes, especially the one with Martha

Cut the Wonder Woman museum rescue. We know who Wonder Woman is we dont need to establish "yeah she fights that crime" plus its super confusing when she blows up the side of the building even though she could have EASILY taken out the bad guy before he could reload. She literally lets him reload and shoot at a pile of cowering civilians just because she wanted to use her gauntlets power???

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ZebraBlade posted:

Its not a great movie, but its better than the turd Whedon pooped out.

Not that I'm defending the douchebag that is Whedon, but putting all the blame for the previous film at his feet is being pretty dishonest about the whole situation, considering he only had the reigns to the movie for a couple of months. It's easy for Zack to brag about how this is what he had originally envisioned for the movie when he had years of hindsight, industry analyzes, and criticism to work off of, on top of having a whole year to reshoots everything and a blank check from Warner Bros to blow on CGI budget. Yet the end result is still being a pretty 'meh' movie.

Zack and the Warner Bros should be getting just as much grief for the original release, if not more so.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ZebraBlade posted:

Visuals and CGI were WAY better even though it felt goofy with the IMAX aspect ration on my home theater.

Cut The entire Epilouge

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my setup since it wasn't widescreen.

On your second point, hard agree. Some of it was neat but holy balls Leto is garbage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Not that I'm defending the douchebag that is Whedon, but putting all the blame for the previous film at his feet is being pretty dishonest about the whole situation, considering he only had the reigns to the movie for a couple of months. It's easy for Zack to brag about how this is what he had originally envisioned for the movie when he had years of hindsight, industry analyzes, and criticism to work off of, on top of having a whole year to reshoots everything and a blank check from Warner Bros to blow on CGI budget. Yet the end result is still being a pretty 'meh' movie.

Zack and the Warner Bros should be getting just as much grief for the original release, if not more so.

Yeah, this is where I am. I'm glad he finally made a better version, but most people don't get a giant do-over with better CGI etc.

That said, I'm reading a lot about how Cyborg apparently plays a far more central roll in this and people are raving about how that really actually makes everything make sense, and IIRC cutting a ton of poo poo to make him less central was a Whedon decision.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Our roommate and her kid watched it. My wife and I showed up back at home for the last hour and we kinda enjoyed it, but we were ripping on poo poo with the kid.

Best riff from the epilogue from the kid:
"That's messed up. Superman could lift the whole truck and fly and still made those people move his furniture."

Cyborg was basically technology magic and yes idk how you could've cut that. We never saw the OG but the 11 year old did he said he liked Cyborg.

I just don't know how I feel about all the minority/millenial/woman Justice League characters having a problem handling the bad guy until the white guy shows up at the last minute.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 20, 2021

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Apparently the Super Ultra Bads in the Falcon & Winter Soldier thing want such nefarious things as *checks notes* a world without borders

lol you can smell the DoD influence wafting off Marvel

it smells like war crimes and imperialism

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I excitedly started watching the new justice league cut, not realizing it's 4 hours long. It's extended lotr all over again.

Agreeing with much if the above, like some of the expanded scenes, but some are really pointless. The music choices seem odd for some as well

I think I enjoyed the original opening with the superman memorial and the song, so I do miss that.

Edit:. The winged zombie human things come across as actual dangerous henchmen in this version, vs the originals cannon fodder / comedic elements

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 20, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently the Super Ultra Bads in the Falcon & Winter Soldier thing want such nefarious things as *checks notes* a world without borders

lol you can smell the DoD influence wafting off Marvel

it smells like war crimes and imperialism

Open borders was mentioned as a secondary objective that requires making half of the population dead to achieve, in the villains’ plan.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Roundboy posted:

I excitedly started watching the new justice league cut, not realizing it's 4 hours long. It's extended lotr all over again.

Agreeing with much if the above, like some of the expanded scenes, but some are really pointless. The music choices seem odd for some as well

I think I enjoyed the original opening with the superman memorial and the song, so I do miss that.

Edit:. The winged zombie human things come across as actual dangerous henchmen in this version, vs the originals cannon fodder / comedic elements

ummm mods?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Internet Wizard posted:

Open borders was mentioned as a secondary objective that requires making half of the population dead to achieve, in the villains’ plan.

Oh lol are they ecofash?

Gross

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

I love Superstore. Not 100%, but I love it. If course, I'm from the STL area, so when they talk about local places, I'm all like, "Soulard? I KNOW THAT NEIGHBORHOOD!"

When they brought in the Stanley Cup while "Gloria" was playing, I teared up a little.

Jonah's character is annoying, and I don't think I'm allowed to criticize Mateo's character, but I agree with you about them.

The bird thing gets brought up in a number of episodes, and it has an impact on character arcs to some degree.

I don't think it's out of line to say Mateo is a toxic, narcissistic rear end in a top hat. Jonah is just irritating, but he is the type of irritating I would go out of my way to avoid in my life.

Dina's birds better get found or something. I know, it's a comedy. But god drat, losing an entire flock can snap a person.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Goddamn if you want a bad movie watch Jiujitsu, staring nicolas Cage and Tony Jaa.

Confusing, cheap, poorly written, and with terrible effects. I suspect it was a a victim of COVID-19, and they edited it together with the footage they had after shooting all of Jaa's and Cage's scenes, because you can see the budget increase when they're on screen.

$25M budget, $900k box office. You know it's gonna be a turd when you see the financial company in the opening credits. Good movie to yell at though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh lol are they ecofash?

Gross

Probably. It’s a solid villain choice if they are. So far we only have what the rookie intel officer said about them in like two sentences to go off of, basically that the villains want to go back to The Blip when 50% of the population was dusted, and also that they think this will finally allow open borders and other popular goals. Basically the open borders things is framed as something the villains are advocating for to make their “gotta kill 4 billion” plan more palatable.

Surprisingly nuanced but we’ll see how things go.

I will say, the Cap movies were pretty explicit about how the American military and panopticon is an arm of imperialist aggression and should be dismantled by force if necessary. Like the heroic climax of Winter Soldier is when the good guys destroy billions in military hardware because access to Big Data is inherently dangerous. I’ve noticed there’s a lot less cooperation from the DoD in those movies than in other blockbusters.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Internet Wizard posted:

Probably. It’s a solid villain choice if they are. So far we only have what the rookie intel officer said about them in like two sentences to go off of, basically that the villains want to go back to The Blip when 50% of the population was dusted, and also that they think this will finally allow open borders and other popular goals. Basically the open borders things is framed as something the villains are advocating for to make their “gotta kill 4 billion” plan more palatable.

Surprisingly nuanced but we’ll see how things go.

I will say, the Cap movies were pretty explicit about how the American military and panopticon is an arm of imperialist aggression and should be dismantled by force if necessary. Like the heroic climax of Winter Soldier is when the good guys destroy billions in military hardware because access to Big Data is inherently dangerous. I’ve noticed there’s a lot less cooperation from the DoD in those movies than in other blockbusters.

DOD definitely dialed back their collaboration and enthusiasm after The Avengers

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-mcu-military-relationship/2/ posted:

Where Marvel and the military became conflicted was during the production of The Avengers. The military was involved in the production initially, and Hollywood's Pentagon liaison Phil Strub is thanked in the film's credits. However, late in production, someone in the chain of command ultimately took issue with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s vague, extra-governmental powers.
"We couldn’t reconcile the unreality of this international organization and our place in it," Strub told Wired. "To whom did S.H.I.E.L.D. answer? Did we work for S.H.I.E.L.D.? We hit that roadblock and decided we couldn’t do anything."

If S.H.I.E.L.D. might have seemed too sketchy to the Pentagon in The Avengers, it's interesting that the Department of Defense was back on board for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, wherein S.H.I.E.L.D.'s powers are even more extensive and morally objectionable. The film's extremely harsh in its political commentary, yet oddly enough that extreme harshness might have been what brought the Pentagon back.

The reveal that Hydra infiltrators have taken power in S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.S. government might reflect poorly on said organizations, but it also could be read as absolving the "real Americans" of their crimes by pinning the blame on a separate, evil group. It's this latter reading, combined with Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson being such positive portrayals of veterans, that earned Winter Soldier the department's approval.

Then of course, they were back in a big way for Captain Marvel, flying F-15s in the pre-foreverwar 90's.

The DOD really encourages not having non-principal actors portraying military people. They like to have as many of their regular people pretending to do their regular jobs in the background as possible. I recall hearing a story from the filming of Captain Marvel where the Air Force pushed back against the studio and insisted that they put in more airmen in the background wrenching on planes, driving trucks, fueling aircraft, etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Very much recommend Murder Among The Mormons on Netflix. Three episode documentary that moves pretty quickly.

It's an extremely wild story, with bombings and murders in 1985 Salt Lake City. Main players are a handful of investors, rare document collectors/dealers, and the enormously wealthy and powerful LDS Church. It's got some really surprising twists in the story, and a whole lot of shifting of perceptions of victim and villain.

The directors are Jared Hess (of Napoleon Dynamite fame), who is a practicing member of the church, and Tyler Measom, who was raised LDS but left the church as an adult. Both have a very solid understanding of the faith and culture dynamics at play with the majority of the subjects. Fun fact: A friend of mine was Jared Hess' roommate in college, before he got famous

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You left out that the “dealer” at the center of everything forged potentially every document he ever sold, including most of the most popular anti-church documents cited by historians.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

well yeah but that's a spoiler not revealed until the final episode

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

They talk about his forgeries of things like the Salamander Letter right off the bat

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Internet Wizard posted:

I will say, the Cap movies were pretty explicit about how the American military and panopticon is an arm of imperialist aggression and should be dismantled by force if necessary. Like the heroic climax of Winter Soldier is when the good guys destroy billions in military hardware because access to Big Data is inherently dangerous.

Geez and this whole time I thought it was Hydra!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN

Agatha All Along only its Hydra instead.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

I remember reading a novel about this case called the Mormon Murders in like high school and it was bizarre having all those names come flooding back to me.

I really sympathize with his victims, but I can't help but feel somebody know something, still. The again, sowing doubt was Metcalf's MO.

Incredibly good story. No need to worry about spoilers because some of this stuff was surprising even to me.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

We now have an index thread so you can find megathreads fast. Bookmark it or something, IDK.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember reading a novel about this case called the Mormon Murders in like high school and it was bizarre having all those names come flooding back to me.

I really sympathize with his victims, but I can't help but feel somebody know something, still. The again, sowing doubt was Metcalf's MO.

Incredibly good story. No need to worry about spoilers because some of this stuff was surprising even to me.

I could listen to the old round man in the three piece suit tell stories for hours. He's like a movie character you'd say was "Over the Top."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Just scheduled three consecutive Fridays in a row to watch the Cast Reunion edition of the three Lord of the Rings films at Alamo Drafthouse.
Steven Colbert is hosting all three. Fellowship has the four hobbits as guests. The Two Towers has Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, and Liv Tyler. Return of the King has two kings, Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen plus Andy Serkis.

Update: Watched fellowship last night, the Peter Jackson 4K remaster, with the cast interview. It was amazing. Absolutely beautiful movie, and some really hilarious stories from the cast

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Luv 2 spread

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

You guys should go watch Invincible on Amazon Prime.

tl;dr, Superman's son comes into his powers. It starts *exactly* like you'd think that premise would, and then slowly subverts it over the course of the first episode. It has a *shitload* of references to comic book heroes in it, and it kind of plays in the same theoretical sandbox as an idea of The Boys, but less- eh? You get the whole superhero thing going on, and violence happens, but you see it through the eyes of someone who genuinely wants to do good and thinks he can.

Also it's fun? It has moments of gore and/or violence, but those hit because the rest of the show has a kind of different tone. It doesn't have the grimdark boot on your throat the whole time. It's more like a boot that comes spinning out of the dark and hits you in the nuts when you aren't expecting it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cool, I'd been meaning to check that out. I watched a preview, it was kinda weird to see a guy who looks like he was based off of Adrian Pasdar (super dad), but with JK Simmons' voice.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lOyjZ8Gew

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You guys should go watch Invincible on Amazon Prime.

I loved that comic, and I'm glad the adaptation is getting good reviews. Definitely going to jump in to it soon.

For comic nerds, there's an app called comiXology that can link with your prime account and organizes / serves as an e-reader for comics and graphic novels. I signed up for their unlimited service recently, there's a ton of free comics you can "borrow" and download to your device for $5.99 a month, and you get a flat 10% discount on everything else. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that 10% stacks on top of any other promos or sales.

Currently re-reading / finishing Chew, gonna do the same for Invincible next.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

There's also a fair amount of comics on Kindle Unlimited.

Reading them on a phone sucks, reading them on a monitor is OK, but with a touch screen laptop you can fold into a tablet it's just like reading a comic book.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Pops, essentially a twenty-two year old California Stoner stuck is a sixty year old’s body, has been watching Kong.

Eleven is growing into a charismatic young woman, which makes me feel loving old.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Superstore -

I'm about done with season five, so I'll be done with the show in a week or two.

I enjoy it, as a sort of a Wannabe Park and Rec or The Office. There are episodes with bits that are almost direct rips from those two shows. But for a easy watch comedy, it's good.

Dina actually grew on me when they made her slightly less evil. Glenn (even as Christian Michael Scott) is pretty drat funny if you've had to deal with those very well meaning southern religious types. I enjoy Sandra and Jerry's weirdness along with the other minor characters. Cheyanne and Bo are loving funny too. I also appreciate how much it shits on working in a Wal Mart and the little glimpses of completely absurd humor as well.

But here is what all my words are leading to - I dislike Jonah and Amy. I don't hate them, but they both possess more negative qualities than good. In the Office, you rooted for Jim and Pam. In Parks and Rec, everyone had a hidden heart of gold, outside of Jon Rolfeo's sister. But Jonah and Amy? God, they grind on me when they are onscreen.

Jonah reminds me of everything a four year, liberal arts university produces. Smug, condescending, narrow minded, fake rear end white boy. I think he stands out because of how many Jonah's I had to deal with at University. People like him are one of the big reasons I could never convince myself to go back. They mean well, but their personalities are nails on a chalk board.

I just find Amy to be a petty control freak, rather than the strong willed professional. It's hard to pin down, though. It might just be her and Jonah together. When they are onscreen, I want to watch something else.

Side Notes -

- I cannot stand Mateo. I think he an awful, petty, negative character who I don't think belongs in a comedy.
- Garrett went from funny and apathetic to bitter and mean. He is a funny comedian. How did they mess up his character?
- That old lady was hysterical and it's a shame she died.
- I have a feeling all the customers doing weird poo poo is rooted in real stories.
- Pretty uncool to have a character's pet parrots all get killed for a laugh. They also had Mateo put a crow in a plastic baggie and beat it to death on the floor for a yuck. Not. Funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

We watched the finale of Superstore a couple weeks ago. It went off on a decent note.

There is a little redemption for Mateo, but it's saved for the very end of the show. And Garret also gets less bitter.