Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

If there's any other Warhammer nerds out there, Humble Bundle's doing a sale right now where you can get an absolute shitload of books for about twenty bucks. Considering how expensive Black Library can be, that's a steal. Two of them are Dan Abnett novels, who's cool and good. If you spend just a single dollar, you get Dan's Double Eagle ( among other books ) which is about air to air combat against Chaos dorks. For that one dollar, you also get a handful of other Imperial Guard novels, which is good, because they're better than jerkass marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Watched Mortal Kombat. This will have some light spoilers but long story short is it's good.

I was iffy about them inventing a new character as the main protagonist but he does good in the role as a straight man to the more wacky MK stuff, though I feel like with such a large cast throughout the games and such they probably didn't need to whole cloth a main character.

Start of it is a pretty good extended intro for Scorpion and Sub-Zero. It's nice to see them using Asian actors for all these roles.

Sub-Zero's redesign is nice, they basically adapted old armor for his outfit and his ice powers are depicted as appropriately dangerous. Shang Tsung also gets old-school Chinese armor, which is nice, it gives hints about their ages that you don't really get in the games.

Kano's loving great but it's hard for Kano not to be great, and I think they realize that because he's got a pretty large role throughout the movie. Sonya's pretty good too. Liu Kang, I think I like OG movie Liu better in general but especially personality, he feels too, IDK, timid or something. Raiden's weird, they wrote him like more recent rear end in a top hat Raiden from the games but I feel like the actor may be trying to mimick Lambert's performance, though that could just be his actual voice but he is extremely gravelly if so. Kung Lao is just straight up MK11 Kung Lao and pretty good.

Some things are a bit off and this is where spoilers start coming in. The Outworld parts just kinda looked and felt weird, probably because I feel like it was all just recorded in some quarry with almost zero set dressing. Like even the 'throne room' is just a big stone chair on top of a desert rock outcropping that feels more like a hermit's chair than a place someone would rule a world. Didn't care for Mileena's redesign much, they're kinda going for that MKX version. Reptile was all CG which just reminded me of the hilarious '95 Reptile. Sure, better CG but CG nontheless. Shang Tsung is always a treat but I didn't like that they made him emperor as much as I like him as a scheming backstabbing underling and all-around smug mother fucker (for real the story DLC for MK11 is just peak Shang Tsung, it's so good, though there is a moment in the movie that gets close to that). They also brought back some forgotten personality-less 3d era jobbers, Nitara and Reiko, and with them MK11 Kabal but with a New York accent. They did do Goro justice though I will admit I always loved that Goro talked and had some personality in the '95 movie, and he didn't really show that much here but then his was all fight.

Ultimately however it lacked everyone's favorite fighter that everyone remembers fondly, Art Lean, so it's not as good as the old movie.

But no as a real critique the fights are too short in general (this is definitely not The Raid or even '95 MK) and the set variety is too little (like half the movie is in generic badlands or sandy caves, and even then in the same parts of the sandy cave). The last 30 minutes is where it starts getting better on both fronts with somewhat longer fights and more impressive arenas (though they didn't stage fatality in the loving pit wtf), but it still suffers from half of the fights having a major case of jobberitis and ending in like 3 hits. Standouts for good fight are Goro and all of Sub-Zero's fights.

It ends with a cliffhanger so I'd expect another movie, especially since there's only one MK1 character that's suspiciously absent, and hopefully with more Taslim since they telegraphed Noob Saibot pretty hard during his second fight with the outfit change, and his fights were definitely the best part of the movie. I'd be interested in actually seeing Shang Tsung fight, and possibly finding out what's with the lack of Shao Kahn since he's in the movie as statues and such, and the whole take over Earth thing has always been his deal but Shang is emperor for some reason.

In summary, good movie, Earthrealm stuff good, Outworld stuff not as good, needed longer fights, and more sets, and to give characters that are just there to job a personality.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

I'm about 20 minutes in and I'm hoping Skarlet shows up

love that funky little blood mage

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Absent any other feelings about the new Mortal Kombat movie, I understand the financial reasons studios choose to use CGI over practical effects, but there is absolutely no substitute for a good squib, give me enormous spurts of cherry red paint from severed limbs or give me nothing at all

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

I super enjoyed MK. Just dumb video game movie fun. The fatalities cracked me up, they were so good.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

How would the violence in The Raid compare to the harshest stuff in the John Wick movies? I ask because my son and I just finished off all three JW films and I've been sitting on a copy of The Raid for a long time but haven't watched it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

How would the violence in The Raid compare to the harshest stuff in the John Wick movies? I ask because my son and I just finished off all three JW films and I've been sitting on a copy of The Raid for a long time but haven't watched it.

The Raid is really brutal, much more so than the JW films. Neither the actors nor the director pull any punches. People die in messy and painful ways; also in very creative ways. If the kid is younger than 12 they might have issues, although with 3 John Wick films as warm-ups it can't be too bad for them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mllaneza posted:

The Raid is really brutal, much more so than the JW films. Neither the actors nor the director pull any punches. People die in messy and painful ways; also in very creative ways. If the kid is younger than 12 they might have issues, although with 3 John Wick films as warm-ups it can't be too bad for them.

I thought that was the case but it's good to see for sure. I'll have to watch it first. BTW, he's ten and loved the JW movies. He's also addicted to Ghost of Tsushima on the PS5 which has loads of blood and decapitations. It's funny because he is the sweetest kid you could meet, not a violent bone in his body.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yeah, the most violent of all the kills in JW3 were on par with a pretty generic Raid kill. It was part of what turned some viewers off about the later Wicks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Well now I'm rewatching The Raid and drat it's good but also drat Amazon sucks they refuse to let me watch in HD on my loving computer so it looks like something I pirated in 2004.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My memory sucks, so I grade movies based on if I can remember a scene, how many scenes, and how specifically. When it comes to The Raid, I remember the butterknife.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My memory sucks, so I grade movies based on if I can remember a scene, how many scenes, and how specifically. When it comes to The Raid, I remember the butterknife.

The broken door head/neck slam

Well I know what I am re-watching after work

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ZebraBlade posted:

The broken door head/neck slam

Well I know what I am re-watching after work

It's still good. Wish a little less shakycam and better color grading but it's from the early '10s so what can you do about that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Has anyone watched Nobody?

I might actually have to see Odenkirk punch some terrorists.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Has anyone watched Nobody?

I might actually have to see Odenkirk punch some terrorists.

I'm waiting for it to hit a streaming service I have in the free category, I can't imagine it's actually worth paying extra for.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Well now I'm rewatching The Raid and drat it's good but also drat Amazon sucks they refuse to let me watch in HD on my loving computer so it looks like something I pirated in 2004.

Didn't amazon cut their bandwith for streaming? I remember trying to watch Deadwood and it was compressed to all gently caress, even in HD mode.

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm waiting for it to hit a streaming service I have in the free category, I can't imagine it's actually worth paying extra for.
Pay for it if you can catch it in a theater - it's glorious in a theater full of drunk college kids. Otherwise, it's OK.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Remulak posted:

Pay for it if you can catch it in a theater - it's glorious in a theater full of drunk college kids. Otherwise, it's OK.

I have no plans to go to a theatre like probably within the next year at least, until my daughter can get vaccinated it's just not something I'm gonna risk.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Nobody was worth a watch, especially for Doc Brown and shotgun lovin'

Not a high brow movie, but worth it as a distraction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

And now the latest news in "Answering a question nobody was asking", Dexter is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvImJz6hRl0

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Finale of Invincible is like if the stupid destruction in Man of Steel had a point and direction.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

That was a great final episode. Really enjoyed the direction it took with the destruction, and kinda shocked since I never read the comics

Really looking forward to S2 and 3

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Still on my 40k poo poo.

The book Traitor General of the Gaunt's Ghosts series is pretty neat, in that it's one of the first accounts I've ever read of 'hey here's what a fallen world turning to Chaos looks like'. And it's weird, but it's not so over the top as to lose the thread or give off Big Edgelord Vibes. It's neat. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1viMWZkfQJs

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Still on my 40k poo poo.

The book Traitor General of the Gaunt's Ghosts series is pretty neat, in that it's one of the first accounts I've ever read of 'hey here's what a fallen world turning to Chaos looks like'. And it's weird, but it's not so over the top as to lose the thread or give off Big Edgelord Vibes. It's neat. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1viMWZkfQJs

Watch some of Sodaz SFM videos, get it out of your system, man.
https://youtu.be/oCKXd_zlQU4
https://youtu.be/HUifqOiERsY
https://youtu.be/1mNX1pPXrTg

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I watched Nobody at the theater. It was the best thing on today at my town's brand-new multiplex, which has small rooms filled with reclining seats. So, wanting to try the new place out, this looked like the best option.

The "suppressed H&K 45" bit notwithstanding, this movie was a ton of fun. There's a nice bit of revolver fun early on. And, it has just the right amount of comedy. It's funny without feeling jokey. I got a good laugh at the "stop requested" bit.

The only thing I don't think was consistent was the wife. At first, she seems to be unaware of her husband's Nobody status. When he comes home after the bus sequence, she doesn't bat an eye at the severity of his injuries, and she treats him as he says, "just like old times," which only makes sense if she knows he's Nobody. But when Assassin Team #8 shoes up, she has no idea he has turned the basement into an actual saferoom, or what is going on at all, so... she doesn't know she's married to Nobody? She seems to go back and forth, like what we see on screen is from two or three different drafts of the script.

Other than that, it's great. I like how nobody survives Nobody's stories, too. It's a great, albeit dark, running gag.

And that soundtrack! I actually sang "The Impossible Dream" for juries in college. Cool selection.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

When I tried to sing for the jury, the judge held me in contempt.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Without Remorse was not good, practically nothing to do with the book. It wasn't bad bad but if you have ever read the book dont expect much.

How did they SCUBA insert into Aleppo Syria through a basement swimming pool

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 3, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I just watched it and it seems like they completely changed it vs updating it to modern times. The original was vietnam era vet so that wasn't going to work today, but it could have been done so much better

New Greer/ alternate Greer? Just was off to me.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

8 new episodes of Love, Death, + Robots is coming! May 14th!

https://youtu.be/AUaXtfAFva8

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1392509976090923008

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is that a new metalpocalypse film, or is that a reference to the last one?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Both of those plus Aqua Teen Hunger Force are getting new movies on HBO Max. Metalocalypse is getting one that picks up right where The Doomstar Requiem ends.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Memento posted:

Both of those plus Aqua Teen Hunger Force are getting new movies on HBO Max. Metalocalypse is getting one that picks up right where The Doomstar Requiem ends.

Well, poo poo. Now I need to re-watch Metalocalypse again.

Woe is me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I need to re-watch Metalocalypse again.

Woe is me.

Woe indeed!

Crystals Meth!

I love this news. I like how the synopses read kind-of like this:

• Venture Bros.: A new story, tying up plot points, intrigue, epic adventure--something big is going to happen! Consequences will never be the same!
  • Metalocalypse: A new story, tying up plot points, intrigue, epic adventure--something big is going to happen! Consequences will never be the same!
  • Aqua Teen Hunger Force: There will be more episodes of ATHF.

It's fitting, really. It's not like ATHF ever cared about continuity. Hell, they were against the very notion. Multiple episodes feature multiple main characters dying, often horrifically. Not sure where they can go with that except to keep doing it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

And ATHF also changed the name of the show twice, for no reason that I can fathom other than *takes giant bong rip* "this'll be funny"

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Less Aqua Teen, more Ugly Americans please

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Master Shake was basically me as a twenty year old.

Iím aware of that not being a good thing.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I enjoyed Aqua Teen because it was short and absurd and absurdist humor is one of the few things that can genuinely get a laugh out of me anymore, on television at least.

In terms of new Adult Swim stuff, go watch Birdgirl. It's great.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I never watched ATHF but it was responsible for one of the best metal songs of the last 20 years, so I'll always appreciate the show for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ATHF is one of those "of a time, of a place" things for me. Once in a blue moon I'll be flipping through the channels or see a youtube thing linked or something and watch a few minutes and chuckle, but man it reminds me DEEPLY of being in my early 20s.