Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1161 »
DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Kari... thought.

Mutually exclusive. She never shuts the gently caress up and says nothing in 10,000 words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DJExile posted:

Mutually exclusive. She never shuts the gently caress up and says nothing in 10,000 words.

Yeah, I suppose that is true. She sure does seem to have enthusiasm for the job, though.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Scottie was the most capable person on that show... which is probably why she left.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Cyrano4747 posted:

More or less like I said - every one of those MGs has about 3 seconds of screen time. Also, the pictures from the variations on the Mp38/40 are all from the same sequence. The PPsH is only in the scene with the retreating soldiers.

Forgot about the pistols, though. The TT33 and Nagant were also available through Century at that time!

The Luger never comes out of its holster that I recall. Chances are it's rubber.

lol I doubt there was even a Luger in the holster. The Mp40 and PPsH do show up in multiple scenes but not for very long.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Some of these pictures are hilarious, take this one:

What's he shooting at, Airplanes?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Mister Sinewave posted:

Casual gunplay indoors with no one minding the noise almost has too many examples to list.

I just watched I Am Legend again the other day, and for all the corny effects in that movie, Will Smith does a pretty good job of showing that guns fired indoors and explosions will hurt your loving ears and shake you up real good. Also has good trigger discipline and generally knows how to handle a rifle. Oh, Will.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Good:

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: Bren guns are loving LOUD. The owner has ear protection for a reason, especially indoors.

Bad:

Where Eagles Dare: One of my all time fav-o-rite movies ever. But the gun play is just so bad. The scene where Clint dual wields MP-40s and knocks off half the German Army coming up a stair case is absolutely bad, yet so wonderful at the same time.

Ugly:

Predator:

A minigun? A man-packed minigun? Oh... wow, well, that was awesome. Oh, wait, still bullshit.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Burning Beard posted:

Ugly:

Predator:

A minigun? A man-packed minigun? Oh... wow, well, that was awesome. Oh, wait, still bullshit.

You're dumb. If Predator had featured realistic gunplay it would have sucked

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

To counter Cyrano's "Bad" forSPR, I will add some "good" from that same movie. While the blanks in the .45 are apparently filled with black powder, the high explosives in the artillery, mortars, and grenades are apparently NOT filled with 5 to 55 gallons of gasoline each.

Also, detonating a few pounds of TNT in your hands in a sock doesn't just have you get blown backwards and fall to the ground with a bit of Elmer Fudd quality blackface smudging, you are goddamn homogenized.

Likewise, someone firing a 20mm cannon loaded with AA HE-frag rounds at you and hitting you (or hitting the tank you're crawling on right next to you) will blow you into component parts.

DaWankler
Jul 11, 2001

Pvt. Public posted:

Ah, that must be when they re-did it that I am remembering. I knew I had watched someone do it correctly.

And yeah, I can understand what you are saying. Anytime they go back to re-do a myth they seem to just throw in stupid remarks all the time. I really think they should just let KAri, Grant and Tory run the show. They seem to have a lot more fun and put more thought into things.

There was a show on the History or Military channel the other day about the history of the sniper. They successfully recreated it at like 25 yards with a period scope and demonstrated why it wouldn't work with modern scopes, as well. The impression I got from their commentary on it was that it was technically possible but highly improbable based on the precise angles needed at the distances it supposedly happened.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

I'd like Mythbuster gun myths a bit more if they shot at Kari.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I'd like Mythbuster gun myths a bit more if they shot at Kari.

Before, during, or after her pregnancy?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lifenomad posted:

Some of these pictures are hilarious, take this one:

What's he shooting at, Airplanes?

If it's any consolation, Comrade Commissar doesn't know how to load or shoot the rifle and passes it off to Zaitsev.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

MIller's Crossing is a cool movie with some decent gunplay. There is a good example of the whole concealment != cover thing, which is kind of balanced out by a scene with a bottomless Thompson magazine, even if that scene is awesome in a way.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Has there ever been a movie where a silencer doesn't sound like a baby bird chirping? Serious question, I don't think I've ever seen one portrayed realistically.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

LifeSizePotato posted:

Has there ever been a movie where a silencer doesn't sound like a baby bird chirping? Serious question, I don't think I've ever seen one portrayed realistically.

The Interpreter was noteworthy for getting this right. A silenced Glock is portrayed as sounding like a loud clap.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LifeSizePotato posted:

Spoilers if you haven't seen Munich: http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Munich#Zip_Guns

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Not exactly a great piece of cinematic art, but the movie Dumb and Dumber.

Near the end, Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are sitting on the bed and the bad guy is holding a pistol on them. He first a couple shots to make a point, and then goes to kill them... while the slide is clearly locked back on the gun.

I was ten years old when that movie came out and I knew that was bullshit then.

Filmiotic
Jan 5, 2008

A man of two kinds of shootin'

LifeSizePotato posted:

That reminds me of an 80's-90's movie cliché: Suppressed revolvers.
What was that all about?

Constructing constructive conversations.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Also, since there are a lot of people not accompanying their examples of inaccurate portrayal of guns in movies with corresponding good examples I will offset this with an entire movie: "The Way of the Gun." This film has some of the best gunplay on screen and uses stuff normally overlooked in movies to good effect: use and limitations of armor, cover and movement, shooting at any exposed body part, tight shotgun patterns, ricochets, and room clearing. Firearms are used for characterization: The protagonists use Colt 1911s, the bodyguards are armed with USPs, and the old cops have snub-nosed revolvers. The only parts that could use improvement is the perfect line of bullet holes created by a strafing Galil and the fact that people don't seem to be bothered by gunshot noise.

It's also a really good movie.

ArsenicWheat
Feb 24, 2009

by Ozma

Beverly Hills Cop II

Eddie Murphy is driving a car at night while chasing, I think, a van full of bad guys. They're both shooting back to each other, Murphy has a handgun, I believe the baddies have handguns and various small SMGs.

Eddie Murphy can't seem to get a hit until he aims carefully, while driving at full speed, and then takes out a couple of guys hanging off the van shooting at him.

I call bullocks, it's very hard and probably not likely you'd shoot someone in another vehicle as you both swerve around to avoid each others shots....at night time no less when you'd likely not even be able to see the iron sights.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

GOOD:

the recently finished 'THE PACIFIC' was mostly true to form with the correct rifles issued to the correct units (marines didn't get the garand right away) and the setup of a watercooled 1918 machine gun

BAD:

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 17, 2010

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Roundboy posted:

BAD:

Wow, that's one hell of a frankenstein gun.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DaWankler posted:

There was a show on the History or Military channel the other day about the history of the sniper. They successfully recreated it at like 25 yards with a period scope and demonstrated why it wouldn't work with modern scopes, as well. The impression I got from their commentary on it was that it was technically possible but highly improbable based on the precise angles needed at the distances it supposedly happened.

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for that, it was driving me crazy.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Black Stormy posted:

Before, during, or after her pregnancy?

Whenever, I'm not picky.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm pretty sure the silenced shotgun in No Country for Old Men was pretty accurate, but I can't say that I've ever heard what one should actually sound like.

The Bad
- This has been touched on before, but I can't stand the really loud 'ka-PINNNGGG' in pretty much every 70s and 80s movie featuring gunplay. Old westerns, featuring soft dusty ground and wooden buildings, where apparently everything ricochets really loudly.

- Firing a full-length shotgun one-handed. I've seen this a lot, and the most notable example I can name is Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Unless you're a robotic assassin sent back from the future, this is a really good way to dislocate your shoulder.

- The John Woo Crossover. A good way to make your sights useless and amplify the already terrible aim you'd have by dual-wielding pistols. Also gives you the added bonus of sending hot brass right at your face.

The Good
- Seven, where Brad Pitt mistakenly shoots another officer in the leg. As a result, the cop dies en route to the hospital. Too often in movies, people shrug off extremity wounds (especially leg shots), and are able to tie a bit of cloth over it and carry on using the limb as normal.

- US Marshals (I think). Tommy Lee Jones' character gets shot in the vest, and it lands him a trip to the hospital.

The Interesting
- I don't remember how good or bad the gun handling was in this movie, but one of my professors in Police Foundations was also the firearms instructor for The Sentinel. The best excuse for absence I've ever heard is: "Sorry I can't administer your exam myself, guys, I've got to go shoot automatic weapons with Eva Longoria."

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Room Clearing:

BAD: Every television police drama ever. I hate being general but there are just so many cop shows that get this so wrong when logic would dictate that the elite SWAT team/veteran detectives/whatever would have some semblance of training in this manner. They will just parade through a house lazily with what can only be described as tunnel vision, handgun carried one handed, finger always on the trigger.

GOOD: Thief. For the small amount of actual shooting in Michael Mann's first movie there is an awful lot of training evident in how James Caan meticulously clears each and every room of the house in the end of the film. Two handed exaggerated Weaver, constantly checking his sides, "pieing the corner", it's all there and it's pretty awesome. The Way of the Gun is also pretty notable for its use of proper team-based room clearing on the part of Parker and Longbaugh. Muzzle down for crossing each other, shoulder presses for room confirmation, etc.

1911 Hammers:

BAD: There are a lot of perpetrators, but a couple come to mind. The Untouchables has Kevin Costner sneaking up on someone he thinks is a mobster. He carries his 1911 (Star Model B, really) with the hammer down and his thumb resting on it just so he can cock it dramatically when he confronts the man. One of the antagonists in Saw also holds a woman at gunpoint for nearly the entire movie with the hammer of his 1911 down.

GOOD: Again, Thief, as well as Heat, Se7en, The Way of the Gun, and most Steven Seagal movies portray 1911s being carried Condition 1 and usually give them an accurate amount of ammunition between reloads, as well (not the Seagal movies, though).

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Fremry posted:

Wow, that's one hell of a frankenstein gun.

Seriously.. What the gently caress is going on with that THING? I can see the AK bits, and that's about it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Vergeh posted:

The Bad
- Firing a full-length shotgun one-handed. I've seen this a lot, and the most notable example I can name is Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Unless you're a robotic assassin sent back from the future, this is a really good way to dislocate your shoulder.

I've shot buckshot out my 870 one handed and my shoulder was fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

If it's any consolation, Comrade Commissar doesn't know how to load or shoot the rifle and passes it off to Zaitsev.

WHen he tries somehow he manages to jam the mosin's bolt. I have no loving clue what he's supposed to be doing in that scene, but it appears that he's trying to work the bolt and it won't move. I'd think he was trying to use it like a straight pull, but it clearly shows him jiggling the handle up and down.

Of course the second he hands it over to Zaitsev he clears the empty round by nonchalantly working the bolt like a normal human.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

incredibull posted:

Seriously.. What the gently caress is going on with that THING? I can see the AK bits, and that's about it.

from the original discussion had, it looks like some movie set armorer took a AK patterned rifle, and threw some sheet metal on it to make it look like an AR.

Note the curved mag, the charging handle, the ak mag release, lack of dust cover, etc. Oh i love the AK rear sight still there too.

its really just a AR shell over an AK. Which is funny considering there was probably more work in fabricating that and adding the proper FSB and flash hider.

also the grip he is using is

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Vergeh posted:

The Good
- Seven, where Brad Pitt mistakenly shoots another officer in the leg. As a result, the cop dies en route to the hospital. Too often in movies, people shrug off extremity wounds (especially leg shots), and are able to tie a bit of cloth over it and carry on using the limb as normal.

When did this happen in the movie? I recall him talking about a previous assignment where he went in on a raid behind the SWAT team and saw a SWAT guy get "spun like a top" from a shotgun blast, but I don't remember him actually shooting a cop.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

The Automator posted:

I've shot buckshot out my 870 one handed and my shoulder was fine.

I have a friend who did the same thing and tore his rotator cuff. Maybe he just had lovely form.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

When did this happen in the movie? I recall him talking about a previous assignment where he went in on a raid behind the SWAT team and saw a SWAT guy get "spun like a top" from a shotgun blast, but I don't remember him actually shooting a cop.

I might be confusing this with another movie; it's been a while. The main character comes outside after searching a warehouse for the killer, and the cop is masked and gagged with his gun in his hands, and gets shot in the leg as a result. Crap, this is gonna bug me now.

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax

thermobollocks posted:

Bad: The Matrix had an Uzi spewing .223 brass. Minor, given the rest of the movie, but it bugs me.

Skorpions

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Bad
Firefly/Serenity: LASER REVOLVER PEW PEW

If you're talking about Mal's gun, it's not a revolver in-universe; if my memory is correct, I think you can see him reloading with a magazine. Also, the visual guide to the 'Verse describes his gun as a mag-fed pistol (though, of course, the magazine is a dummy-mag, as the prop itself was built off a Taurus Model 85 revolver). I just figured that the SPACE AMMO they used just sounded funny in the show, but then it sounded just like regular guns in the movie (maybe they got poorer and had to buy LOUDGUN ammo then)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

If you're talking about Mal's gun, it's not a revolver in-universe; if my memory is correct, I think you can see him reloading with a magazine. Also, the visual guide to the 'Verse describes his gun as a mag-fed pistol (though, of course, the magazine is a dummy-mag, as the prop itself was built off a Taurus Model 85 revolver). I just figured that the SPACE AMMO they used just sounded funny in the show, but then it sounded just like regular guns in the movie (maybe they got poorer and had to buy LOUDGUN ammo then)

Thing is in the show it was different from episode to episode. The thing that bugs me the most about it is the talk of how the government has awesome energy weapons, but the crew doesn't, but then they use laser cartridge guns?

Bah, gently caress you Joss.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

IIRC, in Assault on Precinct 13, a pretty bad-assed movie, there is this one scene where John Leguizamo is aiming his gun at ethan hawke, and then, to add emphasis to his statement, pulls the bolt back on his rifle...even though they just got out of a fire fight and he hadn't reloaded yet (in this movie, the guns they were using apparently had infinite ammo) so assuming he still had ammo, he should have ejected a perfectly good round.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

There are numerous instances of this one, but I remember it most clearly from Full Metal Jacket, with Pvt. Pyle's misadventure with the M14 in the head.

Somebody gets shot, and blood and/or gore splatters the wall/window behind them, but the bullet doesn't impact the wall or window. It's like the bullet enters them, evicts the blood and tissue, and then decides it likes where it is and stays put.

VVVVV Pulp Fiction is also a good example of that.

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 17, 2010

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax

Alain Perdrix posted:

There are numerous instances of this one, but I remember it most clearly from Full Metal Jacket, with Pvt. Pyle's misadventure with the M14 in the head.

Somebody gets shot, and blood and/or gore splatters the wall/window behind them, but the bullet doesn't impact the wall or window. It's like the bullet enters them, evicts the blood and tissue, and then decides it likes where it is and stays put.

I noticed the same thing when I was on the set of Shade. Jamie Foxx's body double got shot in the head while sitting in the backseat of a car. The camera was positioned behind the car so you just he his head and then a splat of blood on the rear window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Bananana posted:

IIRC, in Assault on Precinct 13, a pretty bad-assed movie

If you removed "-assed" this quote becomes true. I assume you are speaking of the 2005 one.

The best (worst) part of that movie was how everyone was using Sig 552s with eighty pounds of crap piled on them and every one was silenced and had terrible "silenced gun noises" that sounded more like someone from Stomp! taking out their aggression on a soup can.

I will say as far as good goes, Black Hawk Down - aside from the oddity of some characters having M4s and sunglasses which didn't exist in 1993 (thanks, IMFDB) - did a reasonably good job keeping the Rangers with appropriate issue weapons like the M16A2/M249 and primarily the Delta characters using non-standard issue weapons.

Also it had Little Birds. You can't go wrong with those!

«1161 »