Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

ATHF is one of those "of a time, of a place" things for me. Once in a blue moon I'll be flipping through the channels or see a youtube thing linked or something and watch a few minutes and chuckle, but man it reminds me DEEPLY of being in my early 20s.

Yeah, it depresses me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I enjoyed Aqua Teen because it was short and absurd and absurdist humor is one of the few things that can genuinely get a laugh out of me anymore, on television at least.

In terms of new Adult Swim stuff, go watch Birdgirl. It's great.

This, pretty much.

I like Birdgirl. I appreciate that it isn't just a rehash of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

It's also worth noting that Tuca and Bertie ( which should never have been loving canceled ) will be airing season 2 on Adult Swim, June 13th. If you haven't seen it, go watch season 1. It's a funny, deep show with solid animation and acting that probably would be into season 4/5 if its fanbase had been more ballsack.

I had absolutely no clue how good that show was until I saw a thread full of women just pissed it was cancelled.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

I really miss that late night cable vibe, but I also realize it's just nostalgia. Ads were always awful, and there is no shortage of problematic jokes that suck the fun out of it real fast sometimes.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 13, 2021

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Army of the Dead comes out tomorrow and it looks like all the right kinds of stupid. Going to get nice and liquored up with my buddies and group watch it after work.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

ZebraBlade posted:

Army of the Dead comes out tomorrow and it looks like all the right kinds of stupid. Going to get nice and liquored up with my buddies and group watch it after work.

I honestly think it looks like schlocky poo poo.

Would've been better had Snyder stuck to his Dawn of the Dead roots and kept it more grounded, rather than embracing the over the top horseshit.

But that's just me. I really liked his Dawn of the Dead.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Watching Love, Death, Robots season 2, I'm about halfway through it. They must of set some new guidelines for the pilots to be less teenage level edgyness, especially with the sexual content, because all the ones I've seen so far, I wouldn't feel embarrassed if I suggested it to others to watch.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ATHF seasons 1 through 3 is legitimately one of the few things that makes me feel nostalgia. I don't think there's anything they could do that would recapture that, but I won't turn down more if it's decent.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Aqua Teen and Squidbillies filled my 20s with laughter.

Whereas Tim and Eric was like a hysterical, absurdist religion.

https://i.imgur.com/qGDNrqg.mp4

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Squidbillies was the poo poo. There's plenty of Adult Swim shows I'd still tune in for if they had them or if I could stream them but they only do HBO whatever now and I do not like HBO anymore.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Squidbillies was the poo poo. There's plenty of Adult Swim shows I'd still tune in for if they had them or if I could stream them but they only do HBO whatever now and I do not like HBO anymore.

I loving hate that Unknown Hinson turned out to be an rear end in a top hat. I tinged such a perfect show. Anytime I tried to watch it with people from outside of the south, they didn't get it. When I tried to watch it with a German or British person, they couldn't understand a word that was said.

We just snipped Paramount until the next season of whateverthefuck lovely Star Trek comes back, so my Dad wanted Disney because he is a big teenager who likes superheroes and cartoons.

We are on episode six of the Mandalorian. If loving any Star Wars from 1997 to present had been like that, I'd still be a big annoying fanboy. It's done so well. I don't really have to get into it, because it's all been said here before. But holy poo poo, why aren't the movies filmed like Mando?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni are like the anti D. B. Weiss and David Benioff. The latter two were only good while they had source material to work from, Filoni and Favreau have done amazing work while marching to the beat of their own drum.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/declouxj/status/1393589067556720643?s=21

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Honestly, I never got into Squidbillies. There was occasionally some really funny stuff in there, but sometimes, it seemed to be trying too hard to be grotesque. And that's not always a bad thing, mind you, but for me, whether or not it works is a coin flip. So, I'd enjoy some episodes, and I couldn't wait for others to be over. It did grow on me over the years as I occasionally watched some of the episodes, but never enough for me to dive in and watch it religiously.

That said, my wife and I have a running competition to see who can be the first to say something like "gotta have my Sip!" anytime we see someone with a gigantic, refillable soda fountain mug with a convenience store logo on the side.

And the same goes for Tim & Eric: Awesome Show, Great Job. It tried so hard to be avant garde in the genre of weird-out or gross-out comedy, and for me, it failed 75% of the time. But, to be fair, somehow I enjoyed The Eric Andre Show, which is pretty much the same thing, except tied down to a talk show format.

Tom Goes to the Mayor, on the other hand, worked 0% of the time for me. Adult Swim would hyper-aggressively promote the show, and even the spots were extremely annoying loops of awful. I gave it a chance, and it was terrible. Not the kind of terrible where I can hatewatch it, not the kind of terrible where it circles around to being good or at least worthy of riffing on. It was just horrible.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Squidbillies lingo makes up a big part of the shared language between one of my good friends and I. Forever disappointed in Hinson. Don't come for the queen you dumb sonofabitch

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dude, I don't think you're going to be able to help Dan there.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ32JchVno

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dude, I don't think you're going to be able to help Dan there.

I laughed so hard when he shouted his name and ran toward him. I'm picturing him holding a severed hand and giving him the, "It's ok man, we're gonna get you patched up good, you're gonna make it..."

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Admiral Bosch posted:

Squidbillies lingo makes up a big part of the shared language between one of my good friends and I. Forever disappointed in Hinson. Don't come for the queen you dumb sonofabitch

I liked the show quite a bit, and honestly kind of liked some of Unknown Gibson's music when I thought it was satire. But yeah, don't gently caress with Dolly and also now I'm starting to think "Let's Talk American" wasn't a joke at the expense of racists...

Hayden fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 16, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Not excusing it, but Unknown Hinson's outburst of mental vomit sounded so much like a guy off his meds. Due to living in Kentucky for four years, I've known about the dude forever. He sure as poo poo was self aware satire.

Tim and Eric is the most absurdist, almost Dadaesque comedy I've ever seen. Bob Odenkirk was one of the main background guys producing the show, too. I could ramble about it for ten pages, but I'll spare y'all. I know it's not for everyone, but for my buddies and I it was possibly the funniest stuff we had ever seen.

The first time I stumbled on it, I was exquisitely stoned and half drunk at two in the morning. I blindly flipped onto this sketch, right at the start, not knowing it was Cartoon Network. I thought it might be public access and almost had a stroke laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLndP_p8gi8

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Watched Field of Dreams, sorry but I don't get the love for this movie. It just seemed to be a bunch of disjointed nonsense. I mean not a bad movie, but a must watch classic? No.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Styles Bitchley posted:

Watched Field of Dreams, sorry but I don't get the love for this movie. It just seemed to be a bunch of disjointed nonsense. I mean not a bad movie, but a must watch classic? No.

Hey, look at this guy who didn't have daddy issues.

Seriously, it's a classic. Maybe it's a "you had to be there" classic, but it's a classic. It's up there with my all-time favorite baseball movies.

Fun fact: on my dad's last night on this planet, I went to my brother's house, where he was living his last days under hospice care. My brother and his wife needed a night off, and they knew I had pretty bad insomnia, so if I didn't take my pills, I'd just stay awake all night. We knew he only had a little time left, and at this point, we were squirting morphine and some other pain medicine and tranquilizer into his mouth and making sure he wouldn't choke. One of them had to be done every hour, the other every two hours, or something like that. Really grim, EOL-type stuff. When I arrived at about 8 or 9 PM, he was able to wake up for a few moments to recognize me. My brother played him a song on guitar, and he was back to sleep. He'd gone through terminal restlessness the night before, and that had kept them up all night, so it was my turn.

Maybe about 2 or 3 AM, it's just me awake, as ever it was if I didn't take a few Tylenol PM. I'd just fed my dad some liquid relief, and I went looking for something that wasn't an infomercial on their Dish service. And here comes Field of Dreams. So I watched that whole loving movie, pausing only long enough to give my dad medicine to keep him calm as his choking quieted down, his breathing slowed, and he slumbered off into oblivion. I myself passed out around 8:30 AM the next day, and my brother sent me home. I think my wife came and got me. I went home and went to sleep, in the daytime, for the first time since I'd stopped working midnights several years before.

Two hours later, my wife woke me up to tell me that dad had passed.

I still like Field of Dreams, though I don't think I've watched it since then. Occasionally, I still have nightmares about poisoning my dad, too. Those are not fun, but at least they're rare now.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm going through that with my dad now. Pancreatic cancer. He was just given 6-8 months after new scans, after originally being given a decent prognosis. poo poo sucks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm very sorry you had to go through such a loss. I doubt anyone living can fully comprehend how much being there at the end means to someone. You did the heart breaking thing, but it was also the right thing.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

Echoing the sentiments, hospice and all is a straight SOB.

Content: I watched Matewan again, and drat if the cinematography of the ending gunfight is not masterclass. But this shot right here is peak TFR:

Unf

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756288/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Y'all know Red Letter Media covered that movie in Best of the Worst, right?

Kudos to the people who recommended them. At first, I didn't know their skits were skits and reflexively hated them. But once I realized their skits were skits, I became a major fan. I think I've watched all their videos twice, thanks to the pandemic.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Captain Log posted:

Y'all know Red Letter Media covered that movie in Best of the Worst, right?

Kudos to the people who recommended them. At first, I didn't know their skits were skits and reflexively hated them. But once I realized their skits were skits, I became a major fan. I think I've watched all their videos twice, thanks to the pandemic.

I could see how those hack frauds at RLM could confused you if they were doing skits with how realistic their bits are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzaeW2brv4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Steeltalon posted:

I could see how those hack frauds at RLM could confused you if they were doing skits with how realistic their bits are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzaeW2brv4

It was a skit with that goony heavy beard guy being super stiff. He was the guy who made me think, Oh God.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Not gun related at all, but the final season of Castlevania was really good and makes me sad that it was the final season.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I Demand Food posted:

Not gun related at all, but the final season of Castlevania was really good and makes me sad that it was the final season.

It was good and Im kind of happy it was. 4 seasons that are good enough to rewatch in a year or two, and they stuck the landing.

Rather that than 8 where 5 and 6 are fan service and the last two are a wet fart that everyone says to not watch down the road.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

In anime news the guy who made Berserk just died.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

It was good and Im kind of happy it was. 4 seasons that are good enough to rewatch in a year or two, and they stuck the landing.

Rather that than 8 where 5 and 6 are fan service and the last two are a wet fart that everyone says to not watch down the road.

Or you have something like Supernatural, where you get a few good seasons, then it keeps going... and going... and going...

Castlevania is an animated series where every season is good. I think maybe season 3 is the weakest? I don't know, I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Always nice to see a series stay strong and go out on a high note.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thermos posted:

In anime news the guy who made Berserk just died.

RIP to a loving legend. He was a true generational talent.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

boxen posted:

Or you have something like Supernatural, where you get a few good seasons, then it keeps going... and going... and going...

Castlevania is an animated series where every season is good. I think maybe season 3 is the weakest? I don't know, I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Always nice to see a series stay strong and go out on a high note.

2 was the strongest season by a pretty big margin, followed by 4 just for the satisfying wrap-up of the main characters story. I kind of feel like 1 might have been the weakest, but honestly it's a bit of an unfair judgement given that the whole thing was lead-up to 2. 3 was solid but I think it got bogged down in trying to tell too many stories at once. 1 and 2 had essentially two main narratives - what's going on with Belmont/Sypha/Alucard, and what's going on with the Vampires (plus their human forge masters). With 3 you double that, following both the forge masters separately, Alucard, and Belmont/Sypha. It was just a lot. 4 frankly has the same issue, but it pulls them together again back into two main threads pretty quickly.

On the other hand, 3 is really where they hit their stride with how they animated and, for lack of a better word, choreographed the fights. Once in a while if I feel like just zoning out to something cool for a few minutes before bed I'll throw up the season 3 finale fight in the church basement, or Hector's fight against the mid control wizard. Something about the visuals with both of those just work a lot better than even the impressive bits of the S2 Dracula fight. S4 hits some high notes with that as well, especially during the big end boss final showdown, but I still think 3 had better visuals.

But, yeah, all the seasons are good. This is one of those ones that I know will become a periodic re-watch.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Nipponophile posted:

RIP to a loving legend. He was a true generational talent.

Indeed.

I'm very bummed we won't get to see the ending, but honestly at the pace it was going I kinda suspected that anyway.

I'm just happy they got to Elfheim and Casca got her memory back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I haven't watched Castlevania but I am almost through season 7 of Supernatural. It remains stupid and fun enough to pass the time which is all I need from a show that was on way too many seasons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I haven't watched Castlevania but I am almost through season 7 of Supernatural. It remains stupid and fun enough to pass the time which is all I need from a show that was on way too many seasons.

You should watch it. I think youd dig it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No one tell him about the Season 3 finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Not even about domme mommy Lenore?