Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Bad: Every time the appearance of a Glock is heralded by the sound of a hammer being cocked. Too many offenders to name.

Good: Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Speaking of bullets passing through a body and breaking glass behind it:

Bad: Road To Perdition. I love the movie, so it doesn't really ruin anything for me, but when Michael Sullivan gets shot at the end while standing in front of a huge picture window, we see some blood spatter, so obviously the bullet penetrated through his body, yet the window is fine.

Good: The Shawshank Redemption. When the Warden puts a gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger, the window behind him shatters.

Not really sure if I need to be spoiling either of those, especially since both have been around for awhile now, but I am not going to be responsible for ruining the movie for anyone that still hasn't seen either.

And speaking of shows, while I do like to catch the reruns on A&E, Criminal Minds has had some stupid poo poo. Examples being Guideon talking about how .22s are choice weapons of gangland assassins because the round bounces around inside a person's head. Also, in an episode where a dude uses a revolver to shoot the dumpy computer chick, and they figure this out because there are no shell casings at the scene, Morgan goes on a little rant about how that's crazy because who the gently caress uses revolvers these days I mean semi-autos why wouldn't you use one?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

walrusman posted:

My beef with Criminal Minds is that they take these highly-trained elite PhD thinky-type agents and have them always be the ones clearing the house with Glocks looking for the unhinged serial killer. That's what SWAT teams are for, Christ. CSI (all flavors) is bad about this too, from what little I've seen. I do like Criminal Minds, it's just a little contrived is all. The episode where the two brothers were hunting people for sport with bows was pretty creepy.

I can't think of a show that's not depicted its main characters always doing the room-clearing, actually, so I don't have a positive counterpoint on that one.

Yeah, that's really just dramatic license on the show's part. It wouldn't be quite as entertaining to watch if the BAU guys came and gave their analysis, then went home, which how I assume it really works.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Bogon posted:

Im disappointed in you goons How could someone forget Heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHHdjyyVHo

The Good:
Its loving loud, Trigger discipline when they run around and Frequent Mag changes.

The Bad: Im mixed you do see cars with rounds going though but no one is shown being shot this way. Also Magical Armored Volvo(in video 3:50).

Check the second post, dude. I didn't go into good or bad with the movie because it's all pretty much good.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Well, the Pulse Rifle in Aliens is supposed to be firing caseless ammunition, hence the 99 round magazines. However, since they have to be built on real world weapons that fire standard blanks, and since it'd be impossible to avoid seeing those ejected shells every once in awhile, it's kind of one of those little things that's noticeable but forgivable.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

Bad: Cops gets shot point black

I know this is just a typo, but don't let the "I own a gun so I protect myself from "goblins"" folks see this.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Ugh, all these puns are making me catatonic.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Well, some AEF units did use British and French equipment when those groups were attached to those respective forces. I don't know if the 77th was attached to the British at the time, or was before that, but that could explain the presence of Enfields in the unit. Of course that doesn't excuse rifles that didn't quite exist at the time being there.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

They basically gave the A-Team the Batman Begins treatment. It's the A-Team's origin story, more or less, built up as a 2 hour long "episode."

Some great one-liners too. Really, it's everything an action movie should aspire to be. The weapons poo poo is a LITTLE cartoony in places, but even that is fairly well done and without major, glaring flaws. Nice mix of new gear too, once they get into the present day. That said, the early bit with Hannibal spray-firing an AC556 made me giggle like a school girl.

Oh yeah: Liam Neeson as Hannibal Smith =

I've been really not interested in seeing this. Hollywood's lazy rear end approach to making movies that are sequels, reboots, old TV shows in film format, and so on is boring and kind of the opposite of the creative spark needed for movies. That being said, I think I might just have to turn my brain off for this one. Liam Neeson is cool, I really like Sharlto Copely after District 9, and a silly action flick ain't all that bad.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

I'll have to take in a show this weekend. Liam, Cooper, Rampage, and an Aussie (plus Biel) sounds like a nice couple of hours.

South African, not Aussie. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's not a matter of director's being lazy, it's a matter of budget. It's going to be a lot cheaper to have a rubber gun on set that can be used multiple times than it is to rent guns from an armorer. And everyone is beholden to money in commercial TV/Film.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I have something similar to that when someone in a dream asks me what time it is, so I wake up, look at the clock, then go back to sleep and tell them.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Aside from maybe his hair, what's metrosexual about him?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Something I just noticed in Zodiac, at the beginning when he pulls up and greases the kids in the car (well, greases the woman and fails to kill the man), he's using a silenced P08. But, unlike so many other movies, the silenced weapon is actually still fairly loud, not the ghost fart sound that you hear so often elsewhere. Also, check out these screenshots from IMFDb of the beefy can on the Luger.

Click here for the full 930x695 image.

Click here for the full 930x699 image.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Caro Ascendant posted:

In the version of Scarface starring Cagney they just used live ammunition and sharpshooters, as they had in all previous films. James Cagney almost died when an errant spray of bullets went right through the spot where he would have been standing had he not refused the director's instructions and demanded that they test the shot first.

That's pretty real as far as cover and concealment goes.

That's White Heat, not the 1932 Scarface. That film starred Paul Muni.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I've got to wonder why they didn't use blanks in revolvers at least (or why the said blanks for said revolvers didn't exist yet). I could understand why blanks couldn't be used with early semi-automatics and machineguns, but the operation of a revolver is independent of the gases or recoil of fired cartridge. Loading a cartridge then covering it with wax (or even just leaving it open and being careful not to spill powder) seems safer than using live ammo.

They had blanks. They've had them since the beginning of cinema. I'm sure you've all seen the famous shot from The Great Train Robbery with the man shooting his gun right at the camera. Those were blanks, of course. I mean, watch any Western or Noir film from that era and people were shooting at each other left and right. The problem was, as noted, the lack of squibs, which is why you see folks get plugged and they just grab their chest or wherever they were shot and keel over. Then maybe you'd see some blood after the camera cuts away and comes back. And the other problem is the glass breaking situation, but that's been talked about. Bullet holes would be less of a problem. It'd be easy enough to bury some small amounts of explosives in the ground to imitate something like a strafing run, or plaster over the same in premade holes in a wall.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Haha! I threw that poo poo before I walked in the room!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Lono was taken posted:

I heard this before, can you explain why exactly?

It harms the swing arm. They're not meant to be closed in such a way and a violent action like that combined with the weight of the cylinder can damage it. Probably damages the point where the arm connects with the frame, too.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Just finished watching :b:Phantasm:/b: for the first time in a long time, and I noticed a few things. The bad: mainly just the character of Jody riding the hammer of a 1911 down with his palm rather than putting the safety on. The good: Jody actually knows how to unload a shotgun, and after figuring out that some weird poo poo is going down, he leaves the same shotgun with his younger brother to protect himself with, along with some advice that basically went "Don't aim at anyone unless your willing to kill them. Warning shots are bullshit". There is some decent handling of the weapons, including no teacupping with the 1911. Plus there was a few times when the characters checked the mag in the 1911 to make sure it was actually loaded instead of just assuming. Plus, there's a 1871/84 Mauser on a gun rack, which was pretty neat.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Which gun? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

I think he may be referring to the Sig P210 in the evidence photos. Not every day you would expect to see a $1,500-2,000 pistol to show up as evidence.

It went by fast enough that I thought it was some kind of CZ at a glance, but going back and pausing on the frame I see it now.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

all the Black Hawks must have crashed or something

Sounds about right to me.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Harrow is an interesting character. I like that Boardwalk is delving into the WWI veteran poo poo, you don't see that too often, especially not how disfiguring wounds were handled. His half-face apparatus is a pretty fascinating piece of medical technology. Plus, the actor is the grandson of John Huston, so that's something. Somebody needs to watch the episode again and get a list of all the guns he mentions.

Related to the show, I think Van Alden is one of the most compelling characters on that show. The actor they picked is perfect, not only in his voice, delivery, and mannerisms, but he just looks a bit weird, and that works really well.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The vet with half a face in Boardwalk that daskrolator posted in the picture thread.

The show is very cool and has a lot of great stuff going on in it. Cool guns, intriguing characters, and tits. Paz de la Huerta's face may not be anything to write home about, but her body is stupid. And hey, Scorsese is an executive producer and directed the first episode.

Inspector_71 posted:

Also it's awesome seeing stuff set back when the Jews told the Italians what to do. Everybody just assumes the Wops showed up and setup an empire on their own

Everyone forgets the Jewish mafia was pretty nasty back in the day. Sure, the Italian and Irish mafias probably outnumbered them, but they weren't anything to mess with. Once Upon A Time In America is a great Sergio Leone film about Jewish mobsters and I highly recommend it. Just make sure you have about four hours to dedicate to it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Mifune. End of discussion.

For anyone that saw the second episode of The Walking Dead, was Dixon not a more assholey version of Francis?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Who is Francis?

Whoops, probably should have clarified. Francis from Left 4 Dead.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Perhaps he was aiming for center mass?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The Good, the Bad, the Weird does rock. Lots of cool old milsurp and plenty of action movie shootouts, which is fine in this type of movie. I think my only real complaint is that Good's lever action is clearly too modern for the time period.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

Its early-mid 1940s Manchuria, so I don't see how it's too modern

I was misremembering it. I went back and looked at a couple parts in the movie and it's not as new as I thought it was. I was thinking it was a brand new 336, but seeing it again it looks well-used and it could very well be a Model 36, which could be around in late-30s when the movie takes place.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Since we're talking about video games, this has been bugging me for a while. I see two 1911s, and neither look capable of firing. The one on our right looks to be missing a hammer. The one on the left looks to either be not cocked or at the very first 'click' on the hammer - eitherway, it, too, cannot fire.

There is a hammer on the one in his left hand, it's just very dark and blending in with the shadow on his pants. And they aren't ready to rock and roll, as you can tell, but we're talking about an image where a dude has a pair of ARs strapped to his back, so I think the fact his hammers are cocked isn't really the biggest problem going on. Besides, a badass HSLD operator like that would have those hammers back and bustin' 'em before Charlie/Ivan/whoever they're fighting knows what hits them.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

wilfoy posted:

I was so upset that they didn't finish the Riddick trilogy. That was just a fun couple of movies.

They did, it's just that the third one was some animated thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Riddick:_Dark_Fury

I thought Pitch Black was a great sci-fi horror film. Chronicles of Riddick I disliked immensely and it really doesn't fit in with what they did with the first movie. Escape From Butcher Bay was a great game, though. Haven't seen the animated film, so I have no opinion on it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The zombies weren't supposed to be anywhere near the camp, so it's not like he would have been killing them left and right while hunting. The one he killed that was eating his deer was probably the first one he ran into in a while, and like Bored said he probably took some measures not to use infected arrows while hunting.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I wasn't really a big fan of Inglourious Basterds either, which I found a bit surprising since all my buddies loved it and our tastes generally agree with each other. And I usually like Tarantino's stuff, but something just didn't come together for me on it. I did like Pitt's goofy-rear end Southerner, and I thought Waltz was great, but that's about it. Oh, that and the assault on the two bodyguards outside the box seats was pretty cool.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

So what's the rub? You like Pitt and Waltz (the two leads), you like Tarantino (a dialogue heavy, attention junkie who made good on that promise) and there was some gun play. This isn't because I have a pair of German Shepards named Hugo Stiglitz and Bridget Von Hammarsmark, but I can't see what else you're looking for in that movie. Where's your beef?

I don't know, it just didn't come together for me. I am willing to give it another try, but when I watched it I just didn't get into it. Nothing specific, really, just a sum of its parts, I guess.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Does anyone here own The Killing and is able to make a gif of the scene where they're blasting the targets with the Remington Model 11-48?

By the way, it's a great movie and if you haven't seen it yet, give it a go. It's one of Kubrick's earlier films and is one of Nolan's influences for The Dark Knight. The movie is available for instant play on Netflix.

Click here for the full 900x678 image.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I just checked after being reminded by Flibbity's post, and Dead Snow is available for instant viewing on Netflix. Gonna watch the poo poo out of that tonight.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Because dubbing is almost universally terrible and reading subtitles are hardly an imposition to enjoying a movie.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Pretty great show. Plus Walton Goggins owns bones all the time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

SVU is about as well written as Dragon Ball Z

Speaking of DBZ I loved the powering up sound that was playing as the sun was rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

raised papist

Well I substituted the 'p' for an 'r' here and for a moment I hated your parents and you.