Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The Gauntlet (1977, Clint Eastwood) certainly show that bullets will pass through such obstacles as a house, car body and a bus.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent, in syndication on MyTV, recently had an episode that showed someone reloading .357 Magnum for less power. (The plot-point was that by down-loading, it would be safe enough to shoot someone in the head and only cause a coma, for organ-harvesting purposes.)(C'mon, it's L&O; at least they didn't show the killer buying special "cop-wounding" rounds for the purpose.)

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Penetration v. cars: Charley Varrick (1973, d. Don Siegal, starring Walther Matthau, Joe Don Baker, Norman Fell, John Vernon - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069865/) - opening scene, as the wheels come off a bank job, cop puts a handgun round into a car door. You can *hear* the glass break (window was rolled down), and it turns out the driver took that bullet midtorso, and fairly effectively - didn't keep them from driving off, but the driver didn't walk away.

Horrible poo poo: Max Payne. Is there a director's cut that adds a coherent storyline? The usual Hollywood gun-stupidity, from flying-shotgun-targets to DA JUDGE wreaking havoc on innocent bathroom stalls.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

wilfoy posted:

Dude, did you play the Max Payne video game? There was absolutely no reason to go into that movie expecting realism in any shape or form.

I'm thinking of reinstalling MP just because I want to play again - I wasn't expecting anything resembling realism.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The Rat posted:

It really seems like DBZ, but with cars instead of kamehameha.

carmehameha

Wasabi the J posted:

Gymkhanahameha

gently caress, that's much better than mine.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can't find a WIkipedia page, but it was Joel Singer along with accomplices that made a suppressor for a Lahti out of what looked like a welding gas tank and blew a hole in a Brinks vault in Syracuse with 33 rounds. There was also a movie called Thunderbolt and Lightfoot starring Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood around a similar concept.

Excellent fuckin' movie, IMO, and mostly shot in and around Great Falls MT, where I grew up. I recognized about 80% of the locations, first time I watched it. "Oh hey, that's the truckstop where my mom went to save a nickel on gas and buy smokes. That big department store never had attack dogs, they did have an official Boy Scouts supply counter. LOL, that motel got turned into a Girl Scouts campground. That drive-in? That's the school district admin buildings."

The other big '70s action movie shoot in GF was Telefon, with Charles Bronson, where they did some shooting at Malmstrom AFB, and for the big explosion they blew up the old Paris Gibson Junior High School - very carefully, because half of it was not a modern building, but something a bit more interesting. https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/paris-gibson-square-museum-of-art-great-high-res-stock-photography/463229105

And at the end of the movie, there's a hilarious (if you lived anywhere near there) scene where Bronson stops to make a phone call.

At a phone booth.

ON A loving HIGHWAY OVERPASS IN THE MIDDLE OF FLAT-rear end NOTHING like halfway to Cut Bank or Glasgow or something.

Been years since I watched any of it, I should do a '70s Actionaganza Night.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

AEW came out of a general feeling (among both wrestlers and fans) of "WWE really blows" and "the other feds are mostly trainwrecks too". So, some actual flippy dudes started floating the idea of, hey, let's make wrestling *fun* again. Others, seeing as how it wasn't Dumb poo poo Promoters/Executives/Writers/Etc., said "gently caress yeah I'm in" because *these* dudes weren't going to run "wrestler's mother on a pole" or "fake pregnant female manager mudwrestling" or "why yes, the son of the company owner really is this good at this poo poo".

And thus you get female space alien wrestler.

And Ultimate Slacker wrestler.

And hosed-up creepy cult wrestlers.

And probably-genuinely-insane-by-now lunatic wrestler.

Who sent out a drone to cut a promo against one of the heelier heels of the recent era.

Said heel actually going full-in on the gag.

Followed by lunatic finally appearing and teleporting around the empty-due-to-Covidfornication arena.

And the awesomeness of...

L U C A C H A S A U R U S R E X !!!!

who actually *is* able to run around and do actual moves, unlike many enormous monsters who mainly just tank and then fall on their opponent/use the magic finisher of "punch" or "chokeslam".

Oh, he's a dinosaur, too, might be important.

There's still soap opera goings-on, but the ratio of flippy poo poo/draaaama is way tilted to "things that make the fans scream" versus "things that make the fans scream obscenities and throw garbage".

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

From what I've read about Ciaphas Cain. he's Flashman 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756288/