Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

There are numerous instances of this one, but I remember it most clearly from Full Metal Jacket, with Pvt. Pyle's misadventure with the M14 in the head.

Somebody gets shot, and blood and/or gore splatters the wall/window behind them, but the bullet doesn't impact the wall or window. It's like the bullet enters them, evicts the blood and tissue, and then decides it likes where it is and stays put.

VVVVV Pulp Fiction is also a good example of that.

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

LogisticEarth posted:

That was the first scene that I thought of when the "concealment != cover" point was mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXTjcMnEdY#t=1m20s

The bottomless Thompson was forgivable, because the scene was obviously supposed to be way over the top.

It's been too long since I watched Miller's Crossing. That movie owns. Albert Finney getting all in his bedroom was also really cool.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

NosmoKing posted:

Good: poo poo, I can't think of lots of good sniper scenes, but the Generation Kill stuff seemed reasonable to me. Some folks with 75% reliability to me tell me that the stuff in the sniper training scenes in Jarhead are reasonably accurate.

Fun fact: one part of the sniper team in Generation Kill (Rudy Reyes) played himself.

As for the machine-gun nest in Saving Private Ryan, Cpt. Miller's justification is stupid, for sure, but it's sort of implied that he did it because he was on the verge of a mental breakdown, and that the guys in his squad know that it's really stupid to be doing. I'm pretty sure it was Sgt. Horvath who said "we could just go around, this is kinda gay" and Miller was all like "shut your bitch mouth, bitch, and let's get our medic killed."

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

I'll get a lot flak but I hated this movie.

A guy can get exploded by a giant pillar of rock into a pile of gore but they can't shoot anyone dead on screen?
They should have just shot everyone. But they didn't. Because the directors are poop sluts.

I thought that the idea was that the good guys weren't going to kill anyone. They were going to use their guns in a manner slightly more offensive than that of the A-Team (i.e., shooting to [somehow] wound).

The bad guys could have shot to kill, but had they succeeded, it would have been a real downer for an otherwise funny movie. Therefore, no one could kill anyone with a firearm.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I really liked NCfOM.

The one I'm worried about is Blood Meridian, which is in production at the moment. It's quite possibly my favourite novel of all time, and I don't see how it could possibly be put on film in a way that would do it justice. That's not something I say often.

That said, it'll be AMAZING if they do a good job on that. Especially if you like cap-and-ball firearms.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I liked the way Llewellyn's death was handled.

As for Todd Field directing Blood Meridian - I saw "In The Bedroom" in theatres when it came out (I think was about 16 or 17), and I liked it a lot. I have also never watched it again. That's pretty much the one thing that gives me hope for the film adaptation of Blood Meridian.

What you read about it being almost inconceivably violent was right - it is probably the most brutal thing I've ever read, particularly because it's written in a way that is so casual about it. It doesn't feel like the book is trying to shock you with it, and that's why the violence in it works so well.

Fun fact: I actively looked into getting cast as an extra in Blood Meridian. Turns out they were only interested in drawing on local extras. Being from Canada sort of precluded me from that (they were filming in Arizona).

Sucks though. I can ride a horse, and I can handle ye olde blackpowdere firearms. Just let me be in the movie of my favourite book, you dicks.

I'd have paid my own way.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

QuarkMartial posted:

And yet, we're not given a reason to care about him. There's not even a sense of "Hey I just found a lot of money, it's time for me to [do something that we, the audience, can identify ourselves as doing, were we to come across a bag of money]." If I'm not mistaken, he pretty much comes back to his trailer and is all, "Well I found some money and they're going to come looking for it, better run."

Not quite. He finds the money, comes back all casual while he mulls things over, winds up in the desert again to deliver some water to one of the gentlemen in the trucks, gets into a bad spot, and has to abandon his own truck. This takes place on the weekend at some point, and he spends a few hours on getting home. When he gets there, he tells his wife that "first thing Monday morning" somebody is going to check the registration on his truck, and then they'll be coming for them. Then he puts her on a bus and takes the money with him.

Prior to having to abandon his truck, he doesn't have reason to think that anyone will know that he specifically has that money. As far as he's concerned, he's got all the time in the world to decide what to do next, until he goes back out there and poo poo gets hosed up.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I just remembered a good one:

Come & See (Idi i smotri), a Belorussian film from 1985, does a great job of depicting tracers ricocheting off of the terrain when the protagonist comes under fire from a machine gun. One could argue that this was bad, though, as this was achieved by firing live ammunition at the child actor, who was simply told to keep his head down.

Also, severe deafness lasting for days as the result of being caught in an artillery barrage is depicted in the film - the protagonist is more or less incapable of hearing anything for a good while after that.

Also, the movie is horrifying on many levels, is exceedingly well-made and I've seen it a few times. So should you.

Generation Kill also did the tracer ricochets well, as I recall.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

priznat posted:

Public Enemies ruled, you scoundrel.

No, he's right. It was poorly written, had a bunch of scenes that would only have mattered had you cared about the characters, and was at times embarrassingly overwrought, with really horribly melodramatic musical cues. It was pretty much "The Young & The Restless" with good sound design and semi-realistic gunplay (barring things like bank managers having Thompsons magdumped beside their ears without even flinching, and other nonsense).

The King of Swag posted:

I must be a terrible person because I thought The Road was a one-time entertaining read but overall a terrible book (and the poo poo that passes for "writing style" doesn't help either). I also couldn't make it past the first half-hour of the movie; the book was terrible but managed to still be entertaining. The movie was guilty of being terrible and boring.

Yep, you're a terrible person.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

priznat posted:

Why don't you bitches stick to "sisterhood of travelling pants" or what the gently caress ever if you want to care about characters!

I kid, but I thought the movie was pretty awesome all-round. I did find myself pretty interested in what happens to Dillenger, and while Purvis came across as a bit of a knob he was interesting in how driven he was to chase the gang down to look good for his bosses.

Also I cared a lot about seeing Babyface Nelson being dispatched in a hail of gunfire and was not disappointed.

Oh and Charles Winstead was as gently caress.

I think the actors generally did a good job, don't get me wrong. They were the only thing that made the movie watchable. But the dialogue was pretty embarrassing, and some of the scenes as well. The music was mostly awful.

Winstead was indeed awesome.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

infrared35 posted:

I haven't seen it yet.

See it anyway, there's more to the film than some people are making it seem.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

In reference to the shotgun thing, I watched the phenomenally '80s-heavy Cobra last night and my God was there ever a lot of this in the beginning scene in the supermarket. I think it's pretty obvious that this wasn't supposed to be anything even approaching serious, but I'm pretty sure the bad guy pumps his sawed off 870 at least three dozen times. I noticed at least three or four times where he would pump the shotgun more than twice between shots.

I normally hate 80s action movies, but I love the gently caress out of Cobra, because that movie is so hilariously hosed-up that it's impossible not to love it.

The scene where he comes home from work - the one that begins with him putting the newspaper in the barbecue grill and ends with him eating pizza while cleaning his gun in front of the TV - is absolutely amazing on a "what the gently caress is going on here" kind of level.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Moe_Rahn posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOn9WiVQYgU#t=4m14s

It can be found on DVD for super cheap, which is a good idea because it includes maybe the best commentary track ever made, from director George Pan Cosmatos. Imagine a mumbly, middle-aged Greek man trying, and generally failing, to explain the ridiculous poo poo taking place in Cobra, and you've got the general idea.

"That was a character thing." (in reference to the newspaper tossed in the grill)

"He hides all the cleaning fluids in the... egg, uh... holder."

"Now here, he does something weird. He cuts the pizza with scissors. I wish we had an ad for this pizza, some famous pizza there."

Also he pronounces "Cobra" with a short O sound most of the time.

Oh, I've got that DVD, don't you worry.

One of my favourite things about the pizza that no one ever remarks on: the box is just barely large enough to contain one slice of pizza. So... he bought a single slice to take home and store in his fridge in a box sized for a single slice? Or he ordered a whole pizza, ate every slice but the last one, and then took that one home in a box all its own?

movie pizza gaffes

also, the "Angel of the City" penis robot dance music video

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Some Peckinpah stuff

Good

The Getaway:

During the hotel shootout, Steve McQueen constantly reloads his shotgun out of his jacket pocket.

The Wild Bunch:

On their way to the final shootout / wholesale destruction of a Mexican village and garrison, the bunch chamber-check their Winchester 97s.

Less-Good

Straw Dogs:

A shotgun blows a guy off his feet and backwards about 10 feet.

Cross of Iron:

A PPSh-41 achieves the same thing.

The Getaway:

McQueen uses his shotgun to shoot an elevator's cables out, causing the car to fall and kill the chap inside.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I've never seen Taken. Guess I will check it out and see what all the fuss is about.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

mlmp08 posted:

Arrested Development?

He has to get his daughter back before someone gets her out of her denim cut-offs.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

chairface posted:

A friend and I hope they make an Arrested Development movie, with the main plot being that through fairly normal Arrested Development circumstances, Michael winds up trapped in Nigeria with millions of dollars in cash. Desperate for a way to get out of Nigeria, Michael begins emailing everyone he knows, promising to cut them in on a share of these millions of dollars, if only they will help him get the money (and himself) out of Nigeria. He's going to need their social security number and bank information to do it, though. Then David Cross will say a bunch of things that would imply he's a closeted homosexual, and laughs would be had all around.

While I suspect that there will be slight differences where plot points are concerned, here you are: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Farnk posted:

Bad: In The Pacific, whatever episode it is when that naked guy shoots himself in the mouth with his 1911 when leckies by him. The hammer on the gun is down as he puts it in his mouth then BAM.

Also bad: in that scene, it is apparently the French Canadian guy who shoots himself. In reality, that guy died in combat on Peleliu, and it was some American NCO who shot himself on Cape Gloucester.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I have dreams that I remember very, very rarely. They are always unpleasant.

I had one a few years ago where I was in a supermarket, and there was some vat of some sort of horrible chemical on a shelf, and it fell down and hit my face and caused it to crystallize (yes, I know) so that it sort of looked / was textured like this frost here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3216264190_ce5d591036.jpg

I remember that my facial features were totally absorbed or obscured by it, but I couldn't feel anything. I reached in and started removing my entire face, then my head, to the back of the skull. And then through. Crunch crunch crunch, all the way. Wasn't a fan of that.

I also had a dream where I got stabbed, and it's pretty much put me off of ever being stabbed, to be quite honest. The worst thing was the anticipation. In the dream, I was grappling with someone who I knew had a knife, and I hosed up. I grabbed their far bicep and they were able to switch the knife to the other hand. I knew right away what was coming, and I screamed, but I couldn't get my arm out to protect myself, so I saw it coming and then felt the worst pain ever as it passed through the intercostal muscle and into my lung. He stabbed me about four times. I woke up and had a severe pain in my left side, though that pain was admittedly nothing like the "metal in your flesh" sensation that I think was pretty accurately recreated in my dream.

I don't like dreams.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Naramyth posted:

I finally confronted him and he pulls out a M16 with a 203 in some bathroom in a church. I was unarmed but thought of the 7 yard rule. I charged him, got the gun between my body and my arm and woke up.

The weirdest poo poo can happen when you're just hangin' out.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I just watched "Taken." Liam Neeson is pretty hardcore in that movie.

Bad: Car doors shield you from bullets.

Good: Wooden doors don't. Also, running one pistol dry and switching automatically to a secondary that he had the forethought to tuck into his belt.

Those who talk about hard-coded patriarchal messages are absolutely right, though, and it also has a lot going on from a (particularly French) xenophobic standpoint. I have to agree that it goes beyond being incidental, and I'd say it does amount to an underlying message.

e: I'm talking about xenophobia as expressed by the French against newcomers to France, not xenophobia against the French

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Smiling Jack posted:

He's not racist, he's on the take. He's willing to sell out his western heritage to dem ferruners for money.

he's also racist

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Inspector_71 posted:

Where have you been for the past several years? JGL fuckin' owns.

This is true, and while I hated the hell out of 3rd Rock, he's redeemed himself through performances in Brick, The Lookout, and Mysterious Skin. I haven't seen Inception yet.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Guess I'm going to have to see this movie tomorrow night, because otherwise it's just going to be another three pages of posts I can't read.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah you'd better go see it so that you can read this spoiler here that is actually just to tempt you further into seeing the coolest-looking movie ever.

I totally knew that was an empty spoiler.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, I think he's been pretty terrible for a few years now.

If by "pretty terrible for a few years now" you mean "went from intolerably bad to pretty decent only recently," then yes. Also, regardless of whether or not you like the movie, his performance in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" is pretty much great.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

mlmp08 posted:

Benjamin Button gets no love

I think Brad Pitt was very good in an utterly unrelatable role. I'm pretty much of the same mind of Roger Ebert on the Benjamin Button thing, though. Didn't like it much at all. It was cool that there was a Type IX U-boat in it, but I think I read someone debunking the idea of the tugboat being able to rupture the pressure hull and detonate the torpedo payload. Also, even if it did manage to do that, the tugboat would have been utterly obliterated.

Similarly, Babel didn't really interest me at all, and it never seemed to capitalize on its tension, but I thought Pitt did a good job in that movie, too.

George Clooney is also good, yes. He's got that old-school leading man likability, like I'll be all like "goddamnit George Clooney go in the litterbox, not by the door," but then I'll be all like "aw gently caress, I can't stay mad at you, George Clooney."

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 24, 2010

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

mlmp08 posted:

I think your anger about the spoilered portions of your post are unwarranted due to the fact that it's a movie, and not one meant to simulate ultra-realistic maritime warfare. On a more subjective note, I was able to empathize quite a bit with the characters and connect where others just said "this poo poo's retarded" the second the plot mechanic was introduced or just did not care to see a very interesting man's life because when you see the whole thing it becomes less interesting.

I could empathize with Cate Blanchett's character. My problem was that Benjamin Button's very nature is so divorced from the experience of any other human being that he becomes more or less just some distant, unrelatable monstrosity. I could only empathize with those around him, but the perspective of the script and storyline didn't suit that very well. I think it'd have been a lot better if it shifted its focus.

Also, I wasn't angry about that spoilered part in the least. On the contrary, I thought it was neat to have a fictionalized Operation Paukenschlag incident in the movie. I just included the bit about the pressure hull so that my post would fit better within a thread devoted to firearms/ordnance gaffes in movies.
vv

e2 : yes, I use "anathemic," it'll be a word one day, but not really, so I edit

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 24, 2010

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

mlmp08 posted:

Actual firearm gaffe (kind of not really): I read The Road while on a couple flights and layovers and I was impressed by the character whittling and staining pieces of wood so that he could appear to have a fully loaded revolver from any reasonable distance. Why they didn't put this in the movie is a bit beyond me because it would've taken like 30 seconds and there are plenty enough scenes of vigo mortenson pushing a cart.

Also, go read the book if you liked the movie at all. The book is, predictably, a bit better and makes the whole world they live in seem more realistic compared to what you see in the movie, considering the movie compresses a couple months of travel into what appears to be two weeks, tops. Plus, it's quick, as I purchased it at about Noon and finished it by 7 pm even with a meal and switching airplanes and making hotel reservations in between.

I know it would have been unreasonable to look at on film, but I really wish there had been some way to convey the overwhelmingly bleak, visibility-wrecking, non-stop rain of ash from the novel. John Hillcoat's a pretty good director, though, and I really enjoyed the movie. Anyone who gets a chance to see his film Ghosts... Of The Civil Dead should watch it, and also The Proposition (somewhat less good, but still okay).

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I like turtles posted:

Why are movies always so good? The Road and Children of Men both come to mind.

Ha, for some reason, the emoticon didn't load right away, so all I saw was "Why are movies always so good? The Road and Children of Men both come to mind."

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

The Automator posted:

Aww... if you're really that sad about it, I'll watch you get yo' freak on, little guy.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I first lost it during the scene near the beginning, when he's meeting with the one madame (who pantomimes smoking an unlit cigarette) in his office, and the boom mike keeps dropping into the shot. As Black Dynamite kept giving his speech while nervously eyeballing the mike, I knew I was in love.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I saw The Killer once, and that was fine. I didn't dislike it, but whatever.

I've seen Hard Boiled like five times.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I feel like we should start paying you for all the GIFs you make us or something.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I really liked Alain Delon in "Le Samourai" and I read Roger Ebert (who is 50% insane nowadays, so his assessment could either be spot-on or completely based in an alternate reality) comparing "The American" and Clooney's performance in it to "Le Samourai" and Delon.

In short, I would very much like to see "The American."

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

gauss posted:

I liked it just fine but I would again emphasize that it is a very low-key, slow burner of a film. Which for the majority of audiences translates to "boring," but I think Clooney gives a very good performance. A man we know very little about feeling paranoid about hitmen out for his life around every corner for good reason... reminds me of the Magritte painting The Menaced Assassin in a way.

Also thanks for the heads up, Le Samourai looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluXfEaODSw

Yeah, "Le Samourai" is the same deal - more of a stylized character study than a thriller.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

gauss posted:

Also Jon Hamm

Real talk: I would let Jon Hamm put it in my butt

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

priznat posted:

Spike TV is awful. It's Lifetime network for dudes.

This. Though I will watch when they run a Band of Brothers marathon (as they are today).

e: no I won't, gently caress this, their commercial breaks are 5 minutes long

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2010

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Here's a movie I just thought of which I felt did a decent job with the firearms depicted: The Sand Pebbles.

I don't know how many of you have seen it, and I don't know how accurately I am remembering it, but I own a copy on DVD (though I haven't watched it in years) and I remember liking the film very much as a whole, in addition to being impressed with its treatment of firearms.

There are two things in particular that I recall:

1) Steve McQueen firing the BAR and actually reloading every few bursts.

2) Steve McQueen actually flipping up the rear sight on a 1903, estimating range and adjusting the sight accordingly, and then bracing himself for a long (but not ridiculously long) shot.

Sadly, YouTube isn't exactly long on clips of the movie. It's a good film, though, if you're into those David Lean-style epics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I honestly think it's McQueen's best role. So much good acting in that movie. Crenna and Attenborough were both great, too, and so was Murphy Brown.