Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

televiper posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but wasn't there a part towards the beginning of Enemy at the Gates where a Russian Commissar or whatever summarily executes some dudes with an SMG when they start to retreat?

I could be thinking of another movie.

Yeah, I saw this a few weeks ago. After they got off the boat (where another couple of dudes jumped into the Volga and got shot for it) and were issued their Mosins in alternating fashion, a group retreated and got lit up slow-mo style by a PPSh (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

lifenomad posted:

Some of these pictures are hilarious, take this one:

What's he shooting at, Airplanes?

If it's any consolation, Comrade Commissar doesn't know how to load or shoot the rifle and passes it off to Zaitsev.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Perdrix posted:

There are numerous instances of this one, but I remember it most clearly from Full Metal Jacket, with Pvt. Pyle's misadventure with the M14 in the head.

IIRC, it was on a porcelain tile wall behind him too. I can picture the blood and brain splatter, but it never occurred to me that yeah, if the skull has an exit wound, porcelain would shatter too. I should have caught that .

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hedgiejugglr posted:

Good: In Bruges actually shows that getting shot by a blank at close range will actually do more than make noise.

Eirik: I can't see! I can't see!
Ray: Of course you can't see! I just a shot a blank in your loving eye!

I love that movie way more than I should. Probably my favorite movie in the last half-decade, and the action/gun portions weren't terrible considering it was written/acted by a bunch of Irish and British folks. Hell, Harry even pauses and lines up a longish shot at the end of the movie!

One more quote because I love it so and it's my favorite scene:

Ray: You from America?
Jimmy: Yeah. Don't hold it against me.
Ray: Well, that's for me to decide, isn't it?
Ray: [to Denise] You from America too?
Denise: No, I'm from Amsterdam.
Ray: Amsterdam! Amsterdam's just a lot of bloody prostitutes, isn't it?
Denise: Yes, that's why I came to Bruges. Been trying to get a better price for my pussy here.
Ray: Huh?
[pause]
Ray: You two are weird. Would you like some cocaine?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I just watched The Road for the first time yesterday and I haven't read the book. That was an outstanding movie. Great story and very "human" if I can quote it as such. From a firearms perspective, the father really did take care of his ammo. We'll leave it at that for fear of spoiling anything.

I'm watching Hot Fuzz right now again on account of our previous TFR conversation/debate. Danny (Nick Frost) ND'd a guy at an air rifle range. I forgot all about that. I love this loving movie.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

As a giant MMA nerd, how did "Rampage" Jackson do as B.A.?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

GREAT.

I'll have to take in a show this weekend. Liam, Cooper, Rampage, and an Aussie (plus Biel) sounds like a nice couple of hours.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Detective Thompson posted:

South African, not Aussie. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

gently caress! I thought the main character in District 9 looked and sounded an awful lot like Moo-Ray from "Flight of the Conchords." I got Kiwi from that dude. I get S.A. Afrikaans, Aussie, and Kiwi accents confused waaaaay too loving much. They're from south of the equator, so their speech patterns come up counter clockwise, right? I'm sure that's what my issue is.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Ok, this is starting to be akin to me pointing out that the kids playing cops and robbers were making terrible sound effects while they pantomimed handguns with their hands and fingers.

One of my favorite firearms related scenes in any medium ever involved pantomimed handguns, shotguns, etc with their hands and fingers. If you don't agree, you can make a stew from Nick Frost's tighty whities.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

My dreams are normally pretty boring and commonplace. But not on Chantix. If you're not a smoker, start so you can take Chantix to quit. I had the most hosed up and vivid dreams on this stuff. I got into a fist fight with a blue whale. In the open ocean, I jumped out of a boat and swam under the whale and I punched the poo poo out of it's mouth, KOing the poor thing. I also kicked down Puff Daddy's door as he was recording some song and I beat the poo poo out of him as the recording kept going. I then released the beating as a single to great critical acclaim. I don't have any malice towards blue whales, but that Puff Daddy beating, well that was awfully cathartic.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is anyone watching Boardwalk Empire? I'd think last night's episode would have been orgasmic for a lot of us here. There was a character who was a sniper in WWI. He's so severely disfigured that he wears this half-face mask attached to his glasses, complete with fake mustache. It was brutal and sad and awesome. Later he notices that another character is carrying and asks him what it is. He tells him it's a 1903 Colt. Sniper guy then rattles off the guns he owns -- a shitload of them --. He asks the guy he's with (a gangster) what he uses the 1903 for and he answers, "What do you think?" Sniper guy replies, "To kill people? It's good for that."

Sniper Guy loving owned that episode. I had no idea where they were going in the diner scene. He said, IIRC, he was rocking a 1903, Webley 454, 1914 Mauser ("very small") and an "Enfield, 30-06, telescoping sight. Accurate to 700 yards. Eeegh." I'm sure I'm missing one or two, but rocking a M1917 and a M1903/M1908 (didn't specify), he's a half faced man of sophistication .

Also, in regards to The Walking Dead, that was loving outstanding. I'm not much a comic reader (the two series I've read and am reading respectively is "Preacher" and "The Boys." Ennis makes me giggle ), so I'll be taking cues from you guys who have read the books. I know Darabont is on record as to be taking "liberties" with the source material.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

Also it's awesome seeing stuff set back when the Jews told the Italians what to do. Everybody just assumes the Wops showed up and setup an empire on their own

Peep These Shabbos keeping homies. A dude in the Boardwalk TVIV thread turned me on to them. They're some Talmud spitting mofos. I had no idea that the Jews got so down and dirty before the Italians and Irish Catholic mafia got down to brass tacks. Motherfucker חַיִּים

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of Zombies and guns, I just caught Dead Snow for the first time a couple of days ago. Snowmobile mounted MG34's own. That movie was loving hilarious.

It's on Netflix instant watch and well worth your time, IMO.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Perdrix posted:

There are probably too many good moments in that movie to pick a favourite, realistically speaking.

I loved every minute of the over the top violence and ridiculous poo poo (particularly dude lopping his arm off with a chainsaw then getting bit in the wedding vegetables), but the ending with just the guy dropping the coin and saying "gently caress." fade to black, everyone's dead. loving loved that movie.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I wasn't really a big fan of Inglourious Basterds either, which I found a bit surprising since all my buddies loved it and our tastes generally agree with each other. And I usually like Tarantino's stuff, but something just didn't come together for me on it. I did like Pitt's goofy-rear end Southerner, and I thought Waltz was great, but that's about it. Oh, that and the assault on the two bodyguards outside the box seats was pretty cool.

So what's the rub? You like Pitt and Waltz (the two leads), you like Tarantino (a dialogue heavy, attention junkie who made good on that promise) and there was some gun play. This isn't because I have a pair of German Shepards named Hugo Stiglitz and Bridget Von Hammarsmark, but I can't see what else you're looking for in that movie. Where's your beef?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I like turtles posted:

I demand that you put a little voice recorder on Hugo's collar that, when activated, plays the sound clip "Say goodbye to your Nazi balls"

He says "Say auf Wiedersehen to your Nazi balls" . But yeah, I actually did train Hugo in German. He's an aloof, doofy dog. Bad for the breed standard, but Bridget Von Hammarsmark is awesome. He does understand German commands, so he needs no sound clips .

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

Did you do the Schutzhund training with him? That is pretty awesome and props if you did.

I knew a dog trainer who had a GSD all trained with that and it was impressive stuff, the dog was capable of maintaining a defensive perimeter around her at all times

Nothing that cool. The female is a bit of a headcase and I'm shipping her out to our local canine P.D. officer who trains dogs on the side. The male we got a few weeks before the female and I started him off in German, so his basic commands he responds to in German and English. Their mother is actually a Schutzhund (shipped to Germany for training) drop out and her breeder adopted her out to my buddy and he had an accidental litter. So their is failing Schutzhund blood in my dogs .

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Clown posted:

Yeah, it was until they dumped it on us. Russia!

Seriously. Then again, it'd be run by the Yukon territory leader Geraldine Van Bibber. And that's awfully close to Canadian terrorist Justin Beber. I'd rather have Palin than that menace.

Because "As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America (nee Canada), where do they go? It's Alaska. "We can't trust a 13 year old girl to protect the continent. I'd rather have an illiterate younger than my mom watching out for Vladdy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I can't remember what thread I read about it in this morning, but if you have Netflix, watch Restrepo. It's pretty damned good and is available on instant watch.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

edit ^^^It was their sister company, but it got addressed in film (kinda briefly from their LT). If you were in country and then at Bagram, you may not want to watch. It's really, really intense^^^

Mad Dragon posted:

Insta-queued. Now, I just need to stop playing New Vegas long enough to watch it.

New Vegas was and is awesome. I actually passed up an impulse to start my second run through this morning to watch it. No regrets from me. That said, my girlfriend fell asleep on the couch watching it, and she queued it . NV is calling me again.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 13, 2011

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

What I learned from Restrepo:

Afghanistan is pretty country.

Yup. So damned pretty. My photographer girlfriend asked me "what would I have to do to be embedded?" I skipped the military platitudes and explained to her what's up. She still wants to go. It's that pretty.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The full 8 episode run of Pillars of the Earth is on it. No guns or anything, but if you like period pieces it's great. It's more or less about the building of a 12th century english cathedral and the politics behind it.

Ian McShane (aka Swearengen from Deadwood) plays one of the Bishops who is delightfully EEEEVIL. That guy is just amazing at playing a conniving rear end in a top hat.

Ian McShane is awesome at conniving rear end in a top hat roles. I need to watch this. My fostered puppy was *this close* to being named "Al Swearengen." I'm just glad his adopters kept "Hektor Linksrhein" . I have to give that series a watch.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I watched the first season of Spartacus on Netflix over the last couple of weeks. It was entertaining in a "half Rome ripoff without the tact and half 300 wankfest." That said, I...I kind of enjoyed it. Sorry to see season 2 was a prequel when I started the first episode tonight. Worth watching given my kind of enjoying the first season?

edit: I just got back from Google and found that the dude who played Spartacus had/has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. That explains the weird turn for S2. That sucks .

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 23, 2011

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crunkjuice posted:

Gods of the Arena is loving awesome. They tie in story lines from Blood and Sand why doctore/onameus doesn't drink wine, where lucretia gets her red wig. The sex gets absolutely ridiculous, and violence is great, and it basically shows how Quintus/Lucretia take over the ludus in awesome style.

If you half enjoyed B&S you'll definitely enjoy Gods of the Arena.

Sweet. Sounds like it continues the "make a gin and tonic, turn your brain off and enjoy" that Blood and Sand did for me. Then again, someone with a Batiatus avatar would be a lying rear end in a top hat about this kind of thing...

Thanks!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ace Oliveira posted:

If you don't enjoy seeing McNulty getting hosed by two Russian prostitutes while he doesn't know what the gently caress, you're doing it wrong. That scene was one of the funniest scenes in the series, and I'm not even finished with it yet.

You know, I would watch a spin-off focusing on Omar, but I would love to see more of McNulty. I'm watching season 4 for the first time, and I'm surprised by how many of the episodes he doesn't appear in. In many of the episodes, McNulty is not even mentioned. I sort of miss him, actually. In my opinion, he's the best character in the series.

You're so God damned American it hurts . You find yourself in New England for any reason, Bacalhau is on me.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That movie was pretty terrible. The retarded alien made no sense. Was the alien itself retarded? Or was it just putting on a show? Plus they cheaped out going with the happy ending. It was nicely made, though.

MISTAH GAY . I haven't seen the movie since I caught it in theaters, but I'll never forget A New Kid On The Block drooling about MISTAH GAY.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Perdrix posted:

Unrelated: it took me until the televised Oscar ceremony this year to realize that that was the same guy who played Sol Star on Deadwood.

I just checked John Hawkes' wiki. Seeing him shirtless in Eastbound and Down, I can see him playing a meth addict in Winter's Bone. I haven't seen the film yet, but yeah, he's tweaker thin. Also, he's north of fifty years old .

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't understand how anybody watches those terrible low-budget BBC serials that look like cable access bullshit.

Yes that means Doctor Who too.

Survivors was decent. If only because it's in the U.K. and there's like two guns in the whole of Britain so it it's a survivalist's dream.

Also, because it's a BBC production, I finished "Extras" tonight. Only 1 gun in the entire series that I can remember (Gervais carrying a K98 as a German soldier), but if you enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm and don't hate Ricky Gervais, I highly recommend it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spaced was loving awesome. The "Shootout" was probably my favorite moment. That or the paintball scenes. Great, great, great show.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Automator posted:

Juliette Lewis has the weirdest retard voice. I'll never understand how she got famous with her weird, mush mouthed voice.

A casting no-brainier for The Other Sister .

Catching up: I have an awful soul patch because a) it's the only think I can actually grow resembling facial hair and 2) the few gray hairs that are in it shows people that I'm not a tubby 12 year old with a fake id trying to buy beer. I'm a prematurely greying 20-something with terrible facial hair trying to buy beer!

Also, I agree BfC was a fine film and brought up some good points (mainly, fear of violence/crime is overblown by the media, and guns aren't intrinsically "bad") up until the K-Mart thing mainly. The Heston thing (IIRC) was kinda disingenuous too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ohhhlethal posted:

did you just attempt to justify a soul patch?

No justification. Just an explanation. Besides, it's more of a mini 'taint tickler' than full on soul patch.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

infrared35 posted:

Dammit, I need you guys to go movie shopping with me next time.

Dude, you spent $20 on 12 movies. Even if two out of the bunch are keepers, you're ahead of the game. I spent $8 yesterday at Big Lots on Bruno and Hamlet 2. You're right about Thomas Lennon being awesome too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

infrared35 posted:

I haven't seen any of those movies.

Infrared! Cawwk-suckah! Please watch Deadwood. It's just below "The Wire" level of television excellence IMHO.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

And as far as future series go, they still need to do North Africa and Italy before they even move out of WWII.

I'd kill to see a Hanks/Spielberg production of a WWI miniseries or something from Korea. I now WWII is their wheelhouse and North Africa and Italy is often forgotten for WWII stuff, but WWI, Korea, or hell, the Spanish-American war would make great viewing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ace Oliveira posted:

That's from The Boys from Brazil, right? I've heard it's pretty good. How is it? I always wanted to watch it.

I'm not the only one that somehow confused those movies. I actually got The Boys From Brazil from Netflix a couple of months back. I was really confused when that scene wasn't in it. How did we get those two movies confused ?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

Only one of them was written by my uncle though

(It's Boys From Brazil.)

(The screenplay, not the novel.)

That's cool as hell. Glad I watched it before I started watching Archer. That scene with Mallory in Brazil/that whole Krieger thing slayed me.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wildey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFqIvhhWBMA
Anyone want to start taking bets on how good/bad the gun handling will be in this movie?

Dunno about the gun play, but you can't go wrong with Melissa Leo and John Goodman. I haven't watched a Kevin Smith movie or really followed him since Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but that trailer looks interesting.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gray Stormy posted:

My wife just told me that Spike Lee is going to direct a remake of Oldboy starring Josh Brolin.

I'm finally catching up on some classics and instant-classics on Netflix now that I don't have anything to do all Goddamned day. I watched Oldboy last week. A Spike Lee version? Starring Brolin?! I just, I don't know, what the .

edit: I just checked the Wiki page. Speilberg directed/Will Smith starring version was on the table once too?!

The movie was really well made, well acted, well written, and I'm the last guy to rant about the baka gaijin (or whatever the Korean phrase would be), but an American version wouldn't and couldn't be anything close to the original. Will Smith, directed by Steven Speilberg, or Josh Brolin directed by Spike Lee would (spoilers about the original) watch a brother/sister pair getting busy, and get hypnotized into loving his daughter, hypnotized again into forgetting the lady he loves is the daughter he hosed?. I just don't see that plot working as an A-List director and A-list actor American blockbuster. It's way, way too hosed up to be a "big" American picture without some serious re-writes.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 30, 2011

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

infrared35 posted:

Jack Reacher is supposed to be a big, tough dude. Taller than 6'3" and bulkier than 210 pounds.

And to play Jack Reacher for the movie that's coming out? They picked Tom Cruise.

The camera adds 10". At least that's what I tell myself so I don't let that "become a world famous porn star" dream die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LingcodKilla posted:

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. It has a fair amount of critics but it is still a good read.

As a history guy, I can understand where the critics are coming from, but it really was an enjoyable couple of nights of reading. If you want a definitive history of the Grossdeutschland's actions in WWII, I'd look elsewhere but it's a fine story of a unit breaking down.