Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

IIRC, in Assault on Precinct 13, a pretty bad-assed movie, there is this one scene where John Leguizamo is aiming his gun at ethan hawke, and then, to add emphasis to his statement, pulls the bolt back on his rifle...even though they just got out of a fire fight and he hadn't reloaded yet (in this movie, the guns they were using apparently had infinite ammo) so assuming he still had ammo, he should have ejected a perfectly good round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Psion posted:

If you removed "-assed" this quote becomes true. I assume you are speaking of the 2005 one.

The best (worst) part of that movie was how everyone was using Sig 552s with eighty pounds of crap piled on them and every one was silenced and had terrible "silenced gun noises" that sounded more like someone from Stomp! taking out their aggression on a soup can.

I will say as far as good goes, Black Hawk Down - aside from the oddity of some characters having M4s and sunglasses which didn't exist in 1993 (thanks, IMFDB) - did a reasonably good job keeping the Rangers with appropriate issue weapons like the M16A2/M249 and primarily the Delta characters using non-standard issue weapons.

Also it had Little Birds. You can't go wrong with those!

Hey, I liked Assault on Precinct 13, buddy!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Saving Private Ryan has a few (although just a few) realistic depictions of head wounds. When they're pinned down on the beach's shingle and Hanks is trying to rally the survivors there's a bit where he's relaying info to a radio guy. Says some stuff to radio guy, turns and talks to another guy, goes back to radio guy, goes back to other guy, then turns back to radio guy only to find that his face is missing. It's kind of an odd wound for a guy laying prone, but his face and forehead are canoed out pretty well. For some reason the crater that was his face is smoking. I'm still not sure why that was, I always explained it to myself by saying that it was really steam - Omaha beach was about 45-50 degrees that morning, so sudden exposure of 98.8 degree brain matter would steam a bit. Still, it really looks like someone lit a camp fire in his dome, it's kind of thick smoke.

Would an incindiary round or, like a tracer or something do that? You know, the high heat of a round like that cooking and burning the flesh, causing all that smoke?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hmph.

Well I guess I'm gonna have to go shoot a hobo in the face in the name of science....

...again.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Nostratic posted:

I remember watching this scene a handful of times to see what the radioman got hit with, and I seem to recall an explosion after Miller rolls away the first time, with sand coming down on them. Then he rolls back and the guy's face is gone. I just figured it was a grenade or mortar round. Get a fragment or two of boiling hot shrapnel in the skull cavity with a hole like that in the face, it'd steam/smoke a bit lying on wet tissue.

The hobo test data seems to concur with this.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

this man is correct.
you nubs would do well to model yourselves after him.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Chill_Bebop posted:

True Grit came off as kind of a cookie-cutter western to me. I was expecting something totally different from the creators of No Country, which was a revisionist Western Masterpiece. It seems like it was made to be a broadly appealing remake without any real character dept or complexity. The score was generic, the cinematography average. I love Jeff Bridges and he did a great job, but his ridiculous growling voice was totally unnecessary, I couldn't understand all of what he said. Matt Damon just seemed totally out of place and thrown in.

I was expecting something different. It was a little entertaining, but I left kind of disappointed. :\

Wow, I gotta say I disagree, and found the film immensely entertaining. As for the score, the main theme is a bland letdown that does not accompany nor compliment the rest of the film, except for sounding, "olde-timey". I'm most astonished at your examination of the cinematography. The film's use of landscape was breathtaking, and scenes like the opening shot in particular exemplify the art and technique of capturing images. With respect to the film's "generic-ness", I suppose the overall story arc did not deviate from tradition, but I really think the Coen's hit the mark in terms of story; In short, it is what it is, and though it may just be another version of something you've seen a million times before (It's not, but for the sake of arguement, you know, play along) It's still a very pretty, very interesting version of something you've seen a million times before. Perhaps the Epilogue could have been trimmed a little, and lord knows someone with better greenscreen knowledge should have handled the Horse ride back with a snakebit maddie which looked terrible. And gently caress Dolly parton, or whoever that bitch was who started wailing Ahem, "singing" at the end.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Chill_Bebop posted:

Something that isn't a total letdown and makes the most of its Actors and Directors?

Sorry I hold things to a high standard. Its dialogue was half unintelligible and cinematography average. But hey lets only make barely passable films from now on and skate along the C+ average curve.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

wilfoy posted:

I'm sorry you have a lovely vocabulary.

Do you just keep your TV on a loop of Citizen Kane and scoff at every movie that doesn't make you weep with emotion and self-discovery?

ahahahaahaa

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

That's a lame insult and all but you probably shouldn't laugh at someone that agrees with you.

... I was laughing at what he said because I agree with him too?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Unskilled Labour posted:

I love The Searchers, it is one of my favourite movies. This isn't a firearms gaffe exactly, but one of geography. The film is set in Texas, but obviously takes place in Monument Valley.

lol, remember when he shoots that indian in the eyes!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Thepossiblelight posted:

i swear to god and his son santa, i think i like cat on the dicksucking couch better than you

...and that's saying something.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hello movies chatters. Can any of y'all help me with my identify a movie for me question? Please

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

That does look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it? Going by the trailers I thought it was the US government going so nasty that the ruthless torturer, murderer, and child-killer had to part ways with them.

When you hear his side of it, those kids kinda had it coming