Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Guns in cars.

Bad
Everything where someone gets shot in a car.

Good
I'm sorry, but I don't remember which season or episode of The Sopranos. A guy gets whacked in a car (point blank, back of the head) and the shooter reacts... well, exactly like you would expect if an explosion deafened you in a confined space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Not exactly a great piece of cinematic art, but the movie Dumb and Dumber.

Near the end, Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are sitting on the bed and the bad guy is holding a pistol on them. He first a couple shots to make a point, and then goes to kill them... while the slide is clearly locked back on the gun.

I was ten years old when that movie came out and I knew that was bullshit then.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Narc (the opening scene is so loving amazing and the movie is criminally underrated.)

Well, the world isn't usually that blue... but great scene nonetheless.

fake edit: Wait, was this set at dawn or dusk? I actually haven't seen the movie.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

walrusman posted:

I can't think of a show that's not depicted its main characters always doing the room-clearing, actually, so I don't have a positive counterpoint on that one.

Yeah, you're right. They all do this, and it bugs me everytime. What's more, it's not like the thinky types are armored well. They slap on a vest, and charge in ahead of the guys in head-to-toe tactical armor.

I always catch myself thinking, "Good plan... this will end well for all concerned."

Fake edit: What's more, the tactical guys are always like, "It's clear, sir." To the star. I don't buy it. That tactical commander would be telling the eggheads to get the gently caress off his crime scene and let him do his job.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

This is the shootout that everyone has been talking about from The Way of the Gun I hadn't seen this movie in forever, and didn't like it much then, but this is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0Co4kbRZo

Some great stuff here. Concealment isn't cover, gunshots actually hurt, and even a press check at one point.

On the other hand, Phillipe pulls out the shard of glass (bad idea, of course) and James Caan seems unwilling to move from the very window that they know he's in. Still, an awesome scene.

Mr. 47 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 18, 2010

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah but I think he's saying Equilibrium just took the goofy poo poo and ran with it. It drat sure wasn't taking itself seriously with the gunplay.

I imagine there was a conversation that went like this.

PRODUCER: I want him to get shot and flip his poo poo through the air, and this dude runs in with, like, two big gently caress-off guns, does a kick-flip, all while he shooting at the other dude.
SCREENWRITER: Yeah, that would be cool.
GUN ADVISOR: That absolutely defies the laws of physics. Wait, why is he hitting them with the guns in this scene? And why is he ninjaing into this poo poo? Why doesn't he just take cover and lay down controlled bursts? And what the gently caress is "Gun Kata?" The whole point of having a gun is not having to engage the enemy at close range.
PRODUCER:...
SCREENWRITER:...
PRODUCER: Goddammit, Larry. What are you, some kind of human being?

And then Larry goes and cries somewhere about the Kafka-esque nature of being a firearms advisory in Hollywood.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

they took a film that could have legitimately been about utterly kick-rear end power armor doing insanely bad assed things and turned it into a lovely Full Metal Jacket remake.

Not to mention the complete abandonment of the philosophical discussion that was the backbone of the novel. Completely agreed.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

^^^ Yeah, "glory."

Psion posted:

Starship Troopers' only saving grace is that it is neither Starship Troopers 2 nor 3.
Well, wait. Michael Ironside. So okay, it has two saving graces.

You're forgetting some of the fantastic nudity.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Bad: This is probably really nitpicking, but in both Aliens and Starship Troopers, humanity has mastered faster than light travel.

Starship Troopers, yes. Aliens, no. Remember, they were in suspended animation for the travel to the colony. In fact, it's covered that Ripley's daughter grew up and died while she was away, as it's been the better part of a century since the first movie. That's all due to sub-light travel.

I thought the same thing at first, until I considered it. I think it's important to keep in mind that, first the movie isn't set that far into the future and, second, in the last several hundred years, the basic gunpowder-launching-slug technology hasn't changed. Sure, lots of developments have been made, but the basic principle of launching a small piece of metal with a chemical explosion has remained pretty standard.

I think they reference "plasma ammo" or something, and the rifles make that super-cool hollow sound. But, even if you had laser weapons, if you're a massive military operation, trying to outfit Marine grunts for any situation on a budget, and then preparing them for what's expected to be a pretty low-priority check-up on an outlying colony (that you didn't expect them to all return from anyway, as we later learn, gently caress Paul Reiser btw) you'd probably go with the reliable and cheap automatic rifle.

Either that or someone could introduce laser pistols next week and I'm a fucktard.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

Well, the Pulse Rifle in Aliens is supposed to be firing caseless ammunition, hence the 99 round magazines. However, since they have to be built on real world weapons that fire standard blanks, and since it'd be impossible to avoid seeing those ejected shells every once in awhile, it's kind of one of those little things that's noticeable but forgivable.

Like Han Solo's blaster, right?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The only reason that Ripley's daughter grew up and died was because Ripley's lifeboat was lost for all that time. Even with the suspended animation, they'd still need FTL travel because the there aren't too many developed solar systems anywhere near us.

Obviously you are assuming no FTL tech, but if there was, it would be trivial to make hand-held energy weapons. Some of the more exotic theories behind theoretical FTL travel are limited by the immense amount of energy needed. If you can master that, I don't think making a pew-pew gun would be difficult.

You raise some interesting points. However, you fail to address my position on "gently caress Paul Rieser."

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Psion posted:

It made no sense whatsoever.

You picked up the salient points.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

TheStig posted:

It did require that everyone get naked to operate the Marauders.

Yeah, I still feel that the series would be better if they just strung together all the nudity in one twenty-minute DVD.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Did I miss it, or have we really gone this far without mentioning the abortion of physics that is Wanted?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

I was just watching an old episode of Firefly and the crew showed up in the nick of time to save the day... at which point Adam Baldwin wields a pump-action laser-sighted shotgun.

Even in the future that seems silly.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

QUESTIONABLE: Also, hilarious scene in which one Operator is working his trigger finger like crazy to make his weapon shoot faster. Do they not get to have full auto in Iraq? Or is this accurately depicting contractors going over with lights, lasers, VFG's, Single point slings and Magpul everything attached to mail order ARs?

You know those guys who wander into the gun store covered in tactical gear, and call themselves "bounty hunters" and want to talk openly about getting an illegal sear and hang all the stupid accessories off their guns and belts and want nothing more than twin chrome pistols-that-shall-not-be-named riding in their shoulder holsters and who watch John Woo and Stephen Segal movies while they masturbate?

You don't see them much anymore because they all got hired by KBR to provide security in the Middle East.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yes, these scenes and many others are hallmarks of a movie that takes itself seriously.

This whole line of conversation can only go somewhere good.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Hahaha! I'm laughing so hard I'm getting horse!

What? I thought we were doing... you know, an animal thing.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Tonight's episode of Justified...two guys shot execution style in the back of the head; they were sitting in the front of the car. Not only is there a nice splash of blood/brain matter/skull fragments on the windshield, there were two holes punched in the windshield, so we didn't have to deal with the "magical bullet that punches through a skull and then vanishes" problem.

Was everyone still deaf for an hour afterward?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Dunno, the two guys in the front seat were dead, and the two guys in the back seat have yet to appear again in the episode.

Probably because they're sitting around having the following conversation:

poo poo! MY FUCKIN EARS!
WHAT?
WHAT?
I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
...WHAT?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Bear with me on this one:

Good: Eraser in the scene where James Cromwell shoots himself in the head, the window behind him shatters, indicating that the bullet went through.

Bad: Everything else that happened throughout the movie Eraser.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn that movie is just so great it hurts.

I loved watching Nick Frost get to do all the things he had asked Simon Pegg about earlier in the movie.

Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?
Nicholas Angel: No.
Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired one gun whilst jumping through the air?
Nicholas Angel: No.
Danny Butterman: Ever been in a high-speed pursuit?
Nicholas Angel: Yes, I have.
Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired a gun whilst in a high speed pursuit?
Nicholas Angel: No!

It's so brilliant, like The Usual Suspects of comedies, where it seems the whole movie just builds to the final amazing ten minutes.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

I really liked No Country for Old Men. Watching Tommy Lee Jones track this mysterious killer, even after one of his team was nearly murdered in the old folks home, and then finding out that the killer has this intense special ops background, and that's why he was able to get away in the swamp. I especially loved watching Tommy Lee Jones put all the pieces together throughout the movie about who the real bad guy was. It was great the way we think we find out before Jones does that Robert Downey Jr. is actually the villain, but then Jones reveals that he swapped guns with Downey right before he was about he was about to shoot Wesley Snipes in the hospital, and Jones knew about Downey for far longer than he let on. Downey played the moment of revelation beautifully, too.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Two thumbs way way up.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

My favorite part was the tank aerial battle and the tag line, "The A-Team... There is no plan B."

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Doctor Who Throughout the revived series. Almost any time that someone fires a gun, it's pretty clear that the muzzle flash is painted in post production. They usually get the audio synced with the flashed. But the actors often don't simulate recoil. I love the show but, man, the firearm stuff bugs the hell out of me.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

I like turtles posted:

They're British, at least they sort of "try" to simulate evil handguns and whatnot.

Back when I was college (for the first time) we had a student in from Ireland who had never fired a gun before. In the spirit of, "You're in America, you have to shoot a gun before you leave, we're pretty sure it's the law," we collected an assortment of firearms and went down to the range to shoot.

The first thing we said (starting with a .22 pistol) was "Wow! It's not like on telly, is it?"

There's something about watching someone fire for the first time that still gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

I just saw this. I haven't read it yet, because I wanted to be the first to post it and get mucho internet cool points.

5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes Thanks to Movies.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Awww... beaten. No cool points for me.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Roundboy posted:

I am trying to find details on taken 2: electric boogaloo

I hope the tagline is; someone has taken his daughters virginity, and he is going to get it back, at all costs.

and now (dramatic pause) it's personal.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I kind of wonder if other people whose hobbies and professions show up in movies all the time get as pissed off about them being done horribly as firearm enthusiasts do.

Do race car drivers and their crew chiefs sit around bitching and moaning about how stupid car stunts are and how those dumbasses put 1966 trim on that 1965 car?

How irritated do doctors get about all the stupid plot-point medicine and such?

I can imagine that IT people get very annoyed by the stupid rendition of hacking and general "COMPUTERS!!!!" you get in so many movies.

My stepfather is a zookeeper. Pretty much anything involving animals sends him right up the wall.

He about had an aneurysm when The Lion King showed a South American anteater in Africa.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Roundboy posted:

Does your stepfather regularly consult with a talking shaman baboon ?

Well, yeah... but that mostly has to do with the drinking.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Lord of War: The opening credit sequence that shows a bullet being assembled. At no point is a percussion cap or powder included. The metal is stamped, the slug is attached.

I understand that it's stylized and it is pretty cool, but it pretty much set the tone for the rest of the movie.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Illegal Clown posted:

What bugged me most is that the ammo was loose. Every crate of surplus ammo I've bought broke down into a couple tins, and then little packets or boxes of ammo in various amounts from 10 to 30 rounds depending on type and manufacturer. Some of those packets and boxes also broke down into five and ten round clips. A crate of ammo should be like an evil version of those little Russian dolls, not a pile of lose ammo in a box.

I've seen loose ammo like that, but not from the factory, and never among anyone who had their poo poo together.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

My dreams are incredibly mundane poo poo. I dream I'm at work. Sometimes I dream I'm back in the desert, but not in an exciting way. More of an, "oh, this poo poo again?" way.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

"The killer used a silenced weapon, it slowed the bullet down enough to not penetrate the wood"

Hollywood understands gun physics the way that L. Ron Hubbard understood... well, anything.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

I'm watching Crank 2: High Voltage. I know, the whole movie is tongue-in-cheek, but these filmmakers are propagating the highly erroneous myth that Bai Ling is attractive.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

The thing I really hate is when I'm in really deep sleep and I suddenly snap awake, terrified that I'm late for something. I rarely am, but it happens every once in awhile.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

It's really telling that Brad Pitt started his own production company so that he could cast himself in his own movies.

Also, gently caress.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

But, somehow, a .22lr lacks the panache of a sawed off double barreled 12 gauge and a chainsaw for a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Here's the trailer for it:

Hobo With A Shotgun

I get that the whole movie is goofy and tongue-in-cheek, but this trailer had one of my biggest pet peeves in it that I see all the time. I think we've even discussed it in this thread.

When Rutger Hauer shoots Santa in the face There a blood spatter on the opposite car window, but no obvious damage from the shot that would have passed through the guy's head.