Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

GOOD:

the recently finished 'THE PACIFIC' was mostly true to form with the correct rifles issued to the correct units (marines didn't get the garand right away) and the setup of a watercooled 1918 machine gun

BAD:

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

incredibull posted:

Seriously.. What the gently caress is going on with that THING? I can see the AK bits, and that's about it.

from the original discussion had, it looks like some movie set armorer took a AK patterned rifle, and threw some sheet metal on it to make it look like an AR.

Note the curved mag, the charging handle, the ak mag release, lack of dust cover, etc. Oh i love the AK rear sight still there too.

its really just a AR shell over an AK. Which is funny considering there was probably more work in fabricating that and adding the proper FSB and flash hider.

also the grip he is using is

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Criminal minds gets a pass after the tense house clearing Hotch did when looking for his wife. That was tense and well done

beeb: size aside, isn't that *exactly* what the DIAS is, a bit of metal in the lower that sits behind the trigger, hammer, etc? As in, it only touches the hammer when the bolt carrier closes

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. 47 posted:

I imagine there was a conversation that went like this.

PRODUCER: I want him to get shot and flip his poo poo through the air, and this dude runs in with, like, two big gently caress-off guns, does a kick-flip, all while he shooting at the other dude.
SCREENWRITER: Yeah, that would be cool.
GUN ADVISOR: That absolutely defies the laws of physics. Wait, why is he hitting them with the guns in this scene? And why is he ninjaing into this poo poo? Why doesn't he just take cover and lay down controlled bursts? And what the gently caress is "Gun Kata?" The whole point of having a gun is not having to engage the enemy at close range.
PRODUCER:...
SCREENWRITER:...
PRODUCER: Goddammit, Larry. What are you, some kind of human being?

And then Larry goes and cries somewhere about the Kafka-esque nature of being a firearms advisory in Hollywood.

The real story is even worse.

imdb.com trivia posted:

The film's fight choreographer Jim Vickers and Kurt Wimmer had some slight disagreement on how the martial art Gun Kata should be performed on screen. You can see little friendly jabs to the choreographer in the film. When Kurt Wimmer performs the Gun Kata at the beginning, you see it's very fluid and smooth. The way it's actually used in the film is very rigid with a few flowing moves thrown in. Also, in Angus Macfadyen's speech to the Clerics in training, he says "each fluid position", slightly stressing the word "fluid". Wimmer wanted Gun Kata to be smooth and soft-style. Vickers, trained in hard-style karate among other things, modified the original Gun Kata slightly, and because of budgetary restraints, that's the version we see in the final film. Wimmer has said his own vision of Gun Kata can be seen in most of its glory in his next film, Ultraviolet (2006).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kodo Zoku posted:

I definitely read your post about SPR & the "sticky bomb" sorry. I also never really watched M*A*S*H (leave me alone, I've already caught enough poo poo from my mom about not watching it).

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not the sniping scene in The Hurt Locker was any good? IMFDB says that it's plausible that the bomb techs would have been trained with the M107 because it could be used for ordinance disposal, but would they be able to function as a spotter / shooter team so effortlessly?

The sniper scene was a mixed bag.

GOOD:

A 'novice' needed a couple shots to get on target.
Dust from the shot obscured the target and got in mouths / eyes
Length of time waiting for a good shot lending to thirst, eye strain, etc.
Blood on rounds made racking the next round impossible

BAD:

'Novice' sniper gets a head shot on a target moving in 2 axis.
Somehow a bomb tech can pick up the subtlety of extreme range sniping (I assume he had no sniper training or shot for fun at home, it was never mentioned)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I think it was the fact the house the iraq sniper was in, and the berm they ended up hiding behind were the only two high spots in a low valley.

The iraqi sniper seemed to have things dialed in for that known range too.. and 1/2 the brit team was taken down before they knew where it was coming from.

The guy on the .50 cal was taken out because he was the next biggest threat.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

GreglFaggins posted:

If I remember correctly the refrigerator in that scene was an old 40's-50's ish type, if it was, it is plausible that it could have stopped bullets. Not only were older fridges made of much thicker metal than modern ones, but they were also lead lined back in the day. Not that I want to test the theory personally, just saying it might be possible.

As Dr. 'Indiana' Jones used to great advantage during his 4th adventure on the televised screen.

(*sigh*)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Since quite a few of the pa goons that shoot together have similar, if not the same gun, we have shot akimbo a fair number of times. While difficult, it is possible to hit a man target pretty solidly. And there is a convergence point, but adjustable.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I used to laugh at movies where 2 people (or groups) were shooting at each other across a field or hallway,etc and NOBODY gets hit.

Then i played paintball for quite a long time and saw this happen all the time. Most usually because you aim for the person, not where they will be. Its actually pretty difficult to hit someone at a smallish distance without careful aim.

This is even more glaring when i use grown up guns to hunt hobos on my private island to hit small things in IDPA style shoots.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

2pint posted:

As odd as it sounds, there are cases of suicide where the person fires more than one (fatal) round.

But that guy was totally jumping off the roof, and the guy in the apartment he passed didn't know the gun was loaded when he tried to scare his wife.

Homicide or suicide!?!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Anything with Morgan Freeman in it is supposed to be taken seriously. The dude played GOD for Christs sake

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mirconium posted:

My good scene comes from the weirdest place ever.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: featuring accurate bullet casting and an antique elephant gun. Seriously, I was picking my jaw off the floor when I saw that scene in S02E15 when there was a guy hunting werewolves. He actually cast a bullet in a mold that was shaped the way bullet molds are shaped.

And then he shot that bullet out of a double-barreled rifle! That's right, rifle! Like a for realsies big game gun!

Joss Whedon, a fellow gun nut. (Even though the show had a pretty anti-gun stance)

Oh, and a stray bullet actually hits someone for once.

He tried really hard in a scene from Firefly where they had 'Vera' (really a shotgun?) was enclosed in a space suit because he mistakenly thought a gun needed air to fire in. He did admit his mistake later on though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

i picture Will Farrel in 'old School' doing the debate scene. he just falls backwards and forgets what just happens.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

This is purrfect. I would be lion if I said othewise.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Movie: Edge of Darkness

Good:

A gun purchased in VT is possessed by at least 2 people living in MA. It is noted many times (once by a cop) that this is illegal. Also exclaimed multiple times "EVERYTHING is illegal in Massachusetts"

Bad:

a gun is decocked using the trigger pull / hammer lowered while still against someones head

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

They were English. Gun deaths are uknown there, in fact, I bet "death by falling rock gargoyle" is more then "death by firearm"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Seen during the A-Team marathon:

Seeing something 'suspicious', the overweight block captain takes is assault rifle(FAL?) to go check out the a-teams house.

They overpower him, and make friends, but are stopped by the 2 hells angels guys shooting at a poodle 10' away with a bolt action rifle. Overweight block captain decides to rack a round and confront them.

The Bad:

in 1985 California, weapons are discharged and open carried in a nice white suburb.

This is a stretch, but I was really watching this episode open mouthed because of how absurd this setup was.

Bonus: Hulu Video Start watching 14 minutes in.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

yes, "Hey Guys here is my urban assault vehicle that I can't get started, forshadowing the work BA needs to do in the 3rd act. Oh, I am signing the release that there is a 5/50 chance you will burst through my garage door, rather then opening it."

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Alain Perdrix posted:

Come & See (Idi i smotri), a Belorussian film from 1985, does a great job of depicting tracers ricocheting off of the terrain when the protagonist comes under fire from a machine gun. One could argue that this was bad, though, as this was achieved by firing live ammunition at the child actor, who was simply told to keep his head down.

Child labor laws are such bullshit in this country. I am 100% making my movies overseas.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I am trying to find details on taken 2: electric boogaloo

I hope the tagline is; someone has taken his daughters virginity, and he is going to get it back, at all costs.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. 47 posted:

My stepfather is a zookeeper. Pretty much anything involving animals sends him right up the wall.

He about had an aneurysm when The Lion King showed a South American anteater in Africa.

Does your stepfather regularly consult with a talking shaman baboon ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

DJExile posted:

His life story is really something, and everything I've heard has said that he's a really nice guy these days and gives talks to kids telling them to stay clean, off drugs, etc.

Or he will hunt you down and kill you, in this world or the dream world ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I recently watched predators as well, and up until i looked it up, i thought he was using a gun made by the set armorer who left it up to his 10 year old nephew who phoned in a description of a gun.

I can't see how anything is useful or comfortable on an AA-12

Also I laugh everytime at the TV when someone slide cocks his gun to 'make a point' that its now loaded. Are they worried about one in the chamber? It might be plausible because everyone carries in their waistband, no MTACs in the criminal world.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you can only enjoy holywood movies with stars who have pro-2A views on gun ownership you're going to be enjoying a VERY limited selection of films.

and gives you the entire Aston Kutcher library.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I was impressed with walking dead as well, but as said earlier in the thread, much of the gun stuff was directly lifted from the book(?) so it wasn't the actor/director/armorer going 'whoa whoa, THIS is what should happen'

I was more impressed that they answered the 'hard questions' in the initial episode like:

Do you shoot the kid zombies?
Do you shoot your wife/loved one zombies?
Do you shoot your friend who made off and sexy-timed your wife while you were in the hospital? (I hope this turns out to be yes)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The non-baldwin baldwin is doing it right. There are no other people in the scene

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

STAT1C_X posted:

Teddy was loving crazy

No,
ANDREW was loving crazy

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Late to the party, but I just saw Red.

Great movie, but the most surprising thing for me was that Ernest Borgnine was still alive. Plus, just because Rebecca Pidgeon is married to David Mamet, stop casting her as the secret agent operative handler woman. She sucks as an actress.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Groda posted:

I just want all of you to go out and rent Forbidden Planet right now.

It's not only a good sci-fi movie and a reference in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but an episode of Star Trek: TOS but with all the references to daily life you'd expect from Destination Tokyo (billiard halls, Kansas City whiskey, horny shore-leaven sailors etc.).

Forbidden planet, along with The day the earth stood still (original) are some of my favorite old sci fi movies. They always get a watch from me. In fact, checking netflix instant watch now

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

priznat posted:

Oddly enough I enjoyed Firefox up until the moment he took off in the superplane. It was an oddly effective thriller up til that point I thought. Especially how Clint played a guy who wasn't all that great at the whole being an elite infiltrator type.

The dogfighting part was long, fake looking and tedious, though.

I haven't seen it in a really long time though so I may be off base.

just do what i did. Mistakenly watch 'FoxFire' and enjoy some breasts from Mrs Jolie and others.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

Maybe it's not a gaffe, but I can't tell: What does Clooney's character in The American do to the rifle that causes it to fail? It looked like whatever he did took ten seconds and a screwdriver, which seems.. unreasonable.

we don't know how long he worked on it... we only saw him start to on screen.

My guess is hole in the chamber / bolt and a plugged barrel.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I swear I know nothing of the chicago area and history, but after reading the thread about recent gun laws overturned I think Chicago Code is about Mayor Daley.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone looking for a good movie with military and guns in it that isn't a straight shoot-fest for the whole time needs to go catch Ralph Fiennes's adaptation of Shakespeare's Coriolanus. Here's a quick run-down on it.

The play itself has a classic military theme that I think most people here would enjoy. At it's core it's about how society deals with the warriors that it trains to protect it and heaps praise and reward on when they do so after the wars are over - basically, what do you do with a soldier when peace breaks out?

Of course there's tons of TFR type stuff in it. The Romans have a vaguely English/American/W. European feel to them and their soldiers are all kitted out in M4s with reddots, body armor, commo sets, etc. They move and act more or less like soldiers, or at least actors who had a competent military consultant. The Volskans have a kind of quasi-third world feel to them. Think a banana republic or maybe a small, eastern european post-soviet country. Combat fatigues and AKMs with iron sights, and a whole poo poo ton of Yugo underfolders to be seen. This isn't too surprising, as the filming was mostly done in Serbia and the Serbian Ministry of Defense is thanked rather prominently in the credits. I'm sure I saw just about one of all the Yugo surplus favorites on screen at one time or another. Hell of a lot of Soviet-era tanks, too - they really weren't stingy with the military gear.

The combat scenes are pretty well done and manage not to detract from the actual story at all. There's one or two places where things get a little wonky, like Coriolanus's propensity to get in knife fights with Tullus, his opposing number in the Volscan army, but that's more about doing a modern adaptation of a Shakespearian tragedy.

Anyways, if it happens to hit theaters near you or if you can find it via some other means, it's worth watching. Ralph Fiennes directed it and plays the titular lead, and he's loving EXCELLENT in it too.

Sounds kind of neat, I'll check it out. I notice there is a modern adaptation of MacBeth on netflix starring sir Patrick Stewart

My absolute fav movie of a solider unappreciated is the movie 'Soldier' starring Kurt Russ]el. I love all 20 words he says, The man has been acting for 53 years, he says so much with his eyes

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Also Dick winters playing awesomely as 2 different people. I think he described it as a 'creepy Malcolm McDowell'

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

This reminds me of the "Space Seed' episode of Star Trek, the original series. The episode that spawned the jewel of a movie "Star trek II: the wraith of Khan"

Ricardo Montlebon escapes into engineering and proceeds to sabotage the workstation in engineering. This console is huge, the size of a fridge on its side, and consists of just 4 buttons. Unlabled.

Apparently pushing these buttons out of order, or too much, is enough to put a starship in danger. On the plus size, engineering school is awesome -- "Never push all the buttons. Never push red after blue. Yellow, just bang away on that poo poo"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

To be fair they dEdina serial killer as someone who has killed or will kill 3 or more people or so. It's not all son of Sam dudes every week, it seems to be "random person is going crazy" along with long term killers. They seem to do months in show time between cases, but they make it seem like they get dozens of requests a week for help, so yeah, a lot of killers.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Was the British War Games one the movie where they tell people to report to the fallout shelters, and work it as a psych experiment to see how they would react ? Ie fake hordes of people trying to get in, a woman killing her baby,etc because they thought it was real?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

drat it stop quoting Cyrano, its 3:10 to Yuma. you really missed the train on that one if you haven't seen it.

Book of Eli was entertaining at the very least, so get a popcorn bowl and enjoy.

Generation Kill was great in spots, and made me feel in some parts. Also how can you discount :

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

HereCometheKillBots posted:

You probably shouldn't read the book and Nate Fick's One Bullet Away then.
you should read them

The second I finished the series, i bought the book and read it. i did not read Nate's book.

Also right around this time all the officers that were made to look 'less then stellar' in the series came out and said 'x,y,z never happened', and the author was responding to blogs basically with "i have the recordings where you said it right here, are you lying now or were you lying then?"

it made for great internet drama. Especially with the high ups in the USMC saying that everything is pretty much fiction, and the majority of the low level USMC saying "no, its pretty spot on"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Don't forget this classic spy movie:

There is SUCH a twist