Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Burning Beard posted:

Ugly:

Predator:

A minigun? A man-packed minigun? Oh... wow, well, that was awesome. Oh, wait, still bullshit.

You're dumb. If Predator had featured realistic gunplay it would have sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Vergeh posted:

The Bad
- Firing a full-length shotgun one-handed. I've seen this a lot, and the most notable example I can name is Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Unless you're a robotic assassin sent back from the future, this is a really good way to dislocate your shoulder.

I've shot buckshot out my 870 one handed and my shoulder was fine.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Revdomezehis posted:

The Bad - Just about every movie/TV show where all guns work super good all the time.

The Good - The Way of the Gun (Of course) wherein Benicio Del Toro's shotgun jams and he clears the jam before going back to firing.

A decent, well maintained gun doesn't really jam very often.

sky shark posted:

All things being equal, it looks like the bald guy could easily have drawn and fired, but because Cruise is taking so long he has to half rear end fumble for 3 seconds until he gets shot.

Drawing down on two dudes ready to fight is usually going to be a losing proposition. It would have been a lame movie, though, if Vincent got his dome popped in an alleyway by a couple pieces of poo poo. More realistic, but lame.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

The gun would almost definitely shoot once. The gun wouldn't cycle, though. Fully automatic fire would be impossible.

The Automator fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 20, 2010

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

CSI

Click here for the full 650x450 image.

I've heard of old ammo, particularly surplus, having squib loads here and there.

Sometimes a bullet WILL push another out. It has happened on occasion.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

CSI is really loving stupid but most of what you said there is very barely in the realm of possibility. Like, it's just sticking its toe in, but its in there.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Well, yeah, I agree that the entire point of the movie was a look into the mind of a manchild's fantasy about banging out a girl hotter than his girlfriend and that's why I'm saying it's bad... so, we agree?

Welp looks like I'm a manchild.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Wanting to bang a woman hotter than your girlfriend doesn't make you a manchild. Doing so in the angstiest, whiniest, most passive-aggressive turned actively aggressive way possible makes you a manchild.

Hope you're not still a manchild.

Passive-aggressive sex would be hilarious.

I don't think I qualify anymore.

FYI I constantly want to gently caress on women hotter than my girlfriend

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I really like how some people can't care about a person because they're another human being, they have to be given a specific reason to force them to care.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Public Enemies had amazing action scenes, but the rest of the movie was boring as gently caress. I fell asleep a couple times.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I would be PISSED if The A-Team had realistic gunplay.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Jesus no one in TFR is able to handle movies, television, or music. You guys all suck at entertainment.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Are you really faulting some guys making movies for a hobby for buying replica guns instead of the real thing?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not to derail the dream convo, but CONTENT:
GOOD: The Killers- Ashton "Douchebag" Kutcher actually handed his pistols like he knew what the gently caress he was doing- press check, tactical reload.
BAD: The Killers- That god drat click-CLICK of a hammer being notched back-on a Glock.

ashton kutcher is a gun owner and regular shooter irl so it doesn't surprise me

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

You're so ridiculously full of poo poo. Post your stupid fan fiction bullshit somewhere else dude

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I don't really know where else to put this...

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here's another news flash: sex in real life isn't usually like what you see in the movies. That said, I don't want to pay $15 to go see a 30 something hairy, slightly chubby white guy awkwardly humping away in the same position for all of 5-10 minutes, I want to see lithe supermodels performing acts that rival most Olympic gymnastics routines.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

One of the best MAX Punisher moments is in the Kingpin returns arc, which was overall dumb and I don't like them bringing in "supes" even if it is just Bullseye.

Anyway, he's fighting the Amish dude and is getting his rear end handed to him, just getting obliterated and as he's dying he's saying "I can't die, I have to live to punish again, have to live to kill" and stuff like that and it really shows just how loving gone Frank is at this point. There's also a subplot about how he can't remember his wife's face and it's just all very brutal in terms of character even if the story is lacking.

EDIT: Here's the page: (for spoilers) http://www.outerhaven.net/upload/imgs/da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709.1.jpg

Was that in MAX? I don't remember that storyline and the art doesn't really fit with the rest of the series.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

I was wondering where the hell Terry Crews was during that scene, then started cracking the gently caress up when he showed up to wreck shop. What an entertaining movie, i hope to GOD they make a sequel.

The scene down the tunnel, where you just see dudes getting shot up and then here he comes stomping by is loving great.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

DJExile posted:

His life story is really something, and everything I've heard has said that he's a really nice guy these days and gives talks to kids telling them to stay clean, off drugs, etc.

He came to my high school and gave a talk in the gym about drugs and gang life.

Honestly, what I learned was how to survive in a gang and how to score and sell drugs more efficiently. He didn't do a very good job talking us out of the thug life.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Roundboy posted:

It might be plausible because everyone carries in their waistband, no MTACs in the criminal world.

This is actually pretty realistic

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

"Amen! | RT @ExSimon "[Voting for Republicans that do nothing] excludes from power Democrat candidates who will do worse." | " twitter.com/adamsbaldwin

How is this wrong?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I liked The Walking Dead a lot but I also really liked The Pacific and other shows you guys had a hate on for.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Maybe I just don't get Ugly Americans, but I've seen 3 or 4 episodes now, and they're all awful.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

You just have bad taste.

It's OK, I do too.

That's probably true. I'm not overly into animation these days, though. I watch South Park still (LONGING FOR THE GOOD OL' DAYS) and that's about it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

7 shots out of a revolver isn't THAT bad, really. I wouldn't say it's retarded at all.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

You do realize I also think most gun safes are retarded right?

Just shut the gently caress up and don't respond to the trolls what the gently caress is wrong with you are you dense? (stupid question on my part)

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

No brass came out when he cycled the action, but when Ben Affleck's character reloads his SA58 he ejects a round out of the action for no reason after changing mags.

Many people train to always rack the slide/action after a reload for muscle memory and just in case reasons.

I don't subscribe to the theory, but lots do and maybe the consultant told them to do it that way?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was watching some military stuff on the History Channel earlier, and I saw them air a commercial for a new show. Hosted by Larry The Cable Guy. I know at this point that they're about as much about history as TLC is about learning, but goddamn. God. drat.

History is loaded with all kinds of awesome stuff, but these jerks would rather air stuff like that and Ice Road Truckers instead of... Anything else. Whatever happened to the shows about Rome, and Egypt, and WW-2? Or that one show about engineering disasters? That was kinda interesting. A whole world and hundreds of years to draw material from, and this is what we get.

V I wanted to record that on the DVR and watch it later, but I can't record the season premier of Top Gear, Adventure Time/Regular Show, and that. Sorry cop show, I hope you're good and move to a different time slot.

I'm going to be honest with you guys: I love Ax Men

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

What was it? I saw it at a drive-in (was going for that whole '1950s alien movies in a drive-in feel') and probably missed it.

Also, I don't think this is a spoiler, but why were their rifles all like 20" long? I thought the military used 14.5" rifles.

Oh, one other neat thing. Lots of the hovering/craft technology seemed to be based off of this, which I thought was cool.

USMC issues M16A4s.

I think the M9 error was in the shot that was further away, it looked like the slide was locked back. When it closed in again, dude was still shooting.

I loved the movie. I was very entertained throughout, despite the corny dialog and stupid civilians.

I'll give props to the owner of the Mexican baseball team in Eastbound & Down, though. Hip firing the M16 at the alien was pretty dope.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Framptonlive posted:

Watching Battle: LA in a theater with moving seats was baller as gently caress. I thought they did a pretty good job with the weapons too.

I had absolutely no beef with the guns or their handling. I didn't see anything major at all.

Inspector_71 posted:

I will forever know him as Army.

I love to racism, bro!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Not really a gaffe, but movie related. In Winter's Bone, what rifle does Teardrop have in the scene when they get pulled over? I was thinking it was something like a CETME, but I don't know for sure.

I thought it was a mini 14

I couldn't believe that was kenny powers' brother

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

I saw 'Battle: Los Angeles' yesterday it was dumb but kinda enjoyable. That's all. Michelle Rodriguez didn't die for once.

It was entertaining and pretty low bullshit. I really liked that it was basically an hour and a half of Marines shooting aliens and pretty much nothing else.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Alaan posted:

This one brought to you from the land of video games! In new Mortal Kombat, Striker must have some god drat bionic thumbs or something. In one of his cut scenes he has his left thumb wrapped around the back of the slide while aiming at some demon or something.

I've held my Glock 19 slide closed by pressing my thumb against the back. Didn't hurt even a little.

In fact, it's recommended in certain situations. If you press the muzzle of many pistols hard against something, you'll push the slide out of battery enough that the trigger won't do poo poo. Solution? Hold your thumb against the back to hold it in battery. You get one shot, but it's better than nothing.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Guys, guys. Can't we all play nice?

Pre-derail content: I finally watched the new Sherlock Holmes (which totally pales in comparison to the 1984 British television series, but I digress) and was pleased when the first gunshot in the movie deafened the characters. Then I was saddened a bit when every subsequent gunshot was quieter than a Black Cat firecracker.

I don't know why people think its realistic to not be able to hear poo poo after a gun shot. I've heard plenty without ear pro and I don't remember going deaf a single time.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Assuming you're talking about outside. Inside a building, it's a different story - I've been around a handful of rounds discharged inside a house, and each time resulted in temporary deafness for up to several days.

Been there with a .45 that had no effect. In fact, I didn't really hear the shot that was 2 feet away. Just felt the splash of broken glass and saw a hole.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

The message overall in "Bowling for Columbine" really seems to be that guns, even lots of them, aren't intrinsically bad. Obviously Moore does a shitload of editorializing and shitfuckery (especially with the Heston interview) but people seem to really miss the crux of the issue.

Until the end when he gets all whiney about K-Mart selling ammo.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

The story is retarded as gently caress. Just enjoy it for the good gun play and the grifters with attitude to spare

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Juliette Lewis has the weirdest retard voice. I'll never understand how she got famous with her weird, mush mouthed voice.

Also, I really like Sarah Silverman. Her Comedy Central series was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Headcase Fargone posted:

This is particularly problematic when the character is supposed to be 13 in the book and she's flashing tit left and right on the show because the actress is much older.

How is this a problem again?