Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Justified and Magnum Force (second Dirty Harry movie) both feature a dude getting capped through a wall.

Heat, Collateral, Miami Vice (even though it wasn't that great otherwse), and Public Enemies (pretty much any Michael Mann movie with gunplay) because he takes gunfights seriously. For Heat he had all the main actors on the LAPD firing range with live ammunition several times, basically until they could do in real life with live ammo what their characters did in the movie. For Collateral he did the same thing with Tom Cruise, with the addition of having him make deliveries to a busy office without having anyone recognize him as Tom Cruise, since his character's job as an assassin was to get in and get out without being noticed. The "Yo Homie...that my briefcase?" scene is pretty

Also, re: press checks, it is done several times in both Heat and Collateral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Strangely enough, Forest Gump actually portrays that fairly accurately (especially given that it was the M60 in Vietnam, which was fairly prone to jamming)..."Get that pig unfucked!"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LogisticEarth posted:

Watching it again, there's also a fair bit of bottomless-magazine syndrome.

Like Snowman said, Shiherlis's reload was very nice. I'm willing to forgive a bit of bottomless-magazine syndrome when they give that much focus to a reload. Also, Hanna runs out of shells for the shotgun he borrows from a cop and has a nice *click* "...poo poo" moment when he is hunting McCauley at the end. Finally, there's the bit where they cycle out the buckshot and load breaching rounds into the shotgun when the cops are going to kick down the door on Hugh Benny's place.

Re: Starship Troopers, I wholeheartedly agree on the comments addressing the failure of the movie versus the book...however, Starship Troopers 3 was getting a bad rap. It's actually about the equal of the first one, both in story and production values (it's written and directed by the writer of the first one). Furthermore, in the third one they ACTUALLY HAVE POWERED ARMOR SUITS! The kicker is that they are called, wait for it, the MARAUDER program. Why they didn't do that instead in the first one is beyond me.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Young Freud posted:

I think they killed off one of the detectives, the chick Ziva replaced, on NCIS this way. She got shot by a sniper, everyone got around her, tore open her shirt to expose her vest, congratulated her on surviving, then the sniper capped her in the head.

Slight correction: she actually took a bullet to the chest from a handgun doing the "flying Secret Service NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" leap type thing to protect Gibbs from some dude. The dude got shot by one of the other agents, and she's all " didn't really get shot wearing a vest lol" and then that recurring terrorist rear end in a top hat dude sniped her in the head from a few buildings away (they were on a roof for some reason).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Casualty posted:

I always think it's dumb when a hero's plan revolves around getting shot a bunch of times just so he can counter-attack when they're out of ammo. Fistfull of Dollars does the same thing. How does someone even reach the conclusion that this is a sound strategy? One thing goes wrong and you're dead and everyone calls you a retard.

Same thing happens in Shooter, at the showdown on the glacier. Why the bad guy snipers didn't just shoot for the head after the guy gets back up after taking one to the chest is beyond me.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Young Freud posted:

I may need to rewatch this, but I swear only one of the snipers is aiming for the guy with the plates, the other is actively hunting for Marky Mark.

Since we're talking about body armor, I love how there's an inverse relation to an armor's effectiveness to its actual protection, especially with hero. Concealable Class IIA vests will take 7.62mm steel jackets, like in the 24 example, but bad guys wearing the equivalent of EOD, with ballistic collars, hard-plate, kevlar helmets with a 3-inch-thick Lexan viewing slot, etc., are easily killed by a guy with a pistol. Apparently, plot armor is availabe in trauma plate form. I think once, I just like to see the good guy shooting at some heavily-armored mooks, see his shots ricochet off them, the mooks look confused and bewildered that someone would actual try that, then the hero runs the gently caress away to get a rifle or explosives.

I think you're correct about the second sniper in Shooter...there were two snipers that were going after the guy wearing plates and another one going after Marky Mark.

Worth mentioning that in Heat two of the main character detectives get shot while wearing vests, as well as several of the uniformed folks that set up the roadblocks.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

NosmoKing posted:

Good: shots that show decapitation from hits like this or at least really, really big hunks of head going missing. If you put a shotgun under your chin and point it at the crown of your head and pull the trigger with your toe, you will remove everything north of the upper half of your eyesockets , around back to rear skull suture joints and deposit it on the ceiling.

Seen in a few horror movies, but only for special "wow" special-effects scenes. I can't recall seeing it in a military movie that I can recall.

South Park in the Britney Spears episode, where she blows her head off with a shotgun...and then proceeds to run around headless for the rest of the episode.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

There was a pallet full of small arms ammunition that we received up here from an unnamed AFB in Alaska Eielson that had been stored outside for god knows how long...it literally had mold/mildew growing all over the ammo cans and pallet. I think most of the actual ammo was okay, but we still ADR'ed the shipment.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. 47 posted:

I was just watching an old episode of Firefly and the crew showed up in the nick of time to save the day... at which point Adam Baldwin wields a pump-action laser-sighted shotgun.

Even in the future that seems silly.

You seem silly.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Captain von Trapp posted:

Is that good? I was under the impression buckshot performed horribly against armor.

As was I...thought any Level II-ish or higher vest that would stop a normal pistol round would also stop buckshot.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Tonight's episode of Justified...two guys shot execution style in the back of the head; they were sitting in the front of the car. Not only is there a nice splash of blood/brain matter/skull fragments on the windshield, there were two holes punched in the windshield, so we didn't have to deal with the "magical bullet that punches through a skull and then vanishes" problem.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. 47 posted:

Was everyone still deaf for an hour afterward?

Dunno, the two guys in the front seat were dead, and the two guys in the back seat have yet to appear again in the episode.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

priznat posted:

Spoiler that stuff you cock!

Okay, it's a fairly minor plot point, and you can see it coming a mile away (as in, if you don't see if coming within the first 5 minutes you're an idiot).

I.e., the people killed are not Raylan, Art, Ava, Winona, or Boyd.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Inspector_71 posted:

Bo was downrange though, which was a poor choice given the scenario.

Good point, but I was just happy to see the squibs go off on the windshield. However, I seem to recall that he was a little off to the side...not directly in front of the vehicle. Still a poor choice though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

"Lookie here, a gun. No doubt a violation of your parole."
"You think that's the only gun I can get my hands on?"
*SMASH*
"You broke my finger, rear end in a top hat!"
"Now you can't pull the trigger."

priznat posted:

poo poo I love this show.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

QuarkMartial posted:

This was my biggest problem with the movie - a bunch of stuff happens to a bunch of different people and we're not really given a reason to care about them.

That's kind of the way the book is written though...I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm just saying I wouldn't take issue with it specifically with the movie, because the Coen Bros. did a good job of adapting the book the screen...it's just that the book is set up that way.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I loved that they cast Jones for that role. It's almost like it was written deliberately as a take down of the character he's played many times -- the platitude spouting, wise bad rear end who always knows the answers. He starts NCfOM that way, and by the end, he's resigned to near helplessness.

Particularly so since he grew up in rural Texas (his county was the last county in the state to have its roads paved).

Also, seconding the opinion that having the shooting off screen was the way to go...I'd read the book and knew what was coming and still felt sick to my stomach.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wilfoy posted:

Well you're in the minority because when I saw it almost everyone's reaction was "Wait, what happened? He just died?"

*Insert rant here about the lack of sophistication among the American film audience.*

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wilfoy posted:

We follow a character around for over an hour. We are shown in great detail every one of his actions. We're also shown in great detail the actions of his pursuers. We follow this cat and mouse game and we can see that the parties involved are on a collision course. Tension is at its maximum. Then all we get is some distant gunfire and a dude jumping into the back of a truck.

Imagine if the end of The Bourne Identity had Jason Bourne about to go into the safe-house full of bad guys, and then immediately cut to him walking out over a bunch of dead bodies. Then Chris Cooper's character explains to Julia Stiles' character what just happened. It's an enormous cock tease and the only reason people like it is because the Coen brothers are allowed to do stupid poo poo like that. No Country for Old Men is just a big case of the emperor's new clothes.

Two completely different movies. One of the main (if not the only) points of the Bourne series is the (extremely well done) action sequences. If you don't have those, you wouldn't have a movie. As you yourself indirectly admit, No Country for Old Men is about drama and the setup that leads to increased tension. Directly seeing that tension released isn't the point of the movie; the buildup is.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

"I ain't got no drat water."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ohhhlethal posted:

The Best:

The Audio in any Michael Mann movie but especially Heat and Public Enemies

FTFY

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Krigen posted:

gently caress you guys, those fan videos were bloody amazing considering the budget they had.

Quoting for truth. As I seem to recall, we were gizzing our pants over the very same video in another thread (the video thread, I think?) The effects are pretty drat impressive.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Transporter 2 -

Good: Scene where Jason Statham is fighting the crazy blonde assassin chick near the end and she burns him on the neck with the suppressors from her dual wielded Glock 18s.

Bad: Everything else in Transporter 2.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cyrano4747 posted:

The absolute best bad part of that movie was in the fight in the doctor's office, when the crazy blonde chick unloads at Stratham and he opens up an office door, which stops all of the many 9mm rounds that are spitting out of her G18s.

Ok, whatever, this is a REALLY NICE doctor's office, so maybe that door is solid oak heartwood or something, rather than the normal hollow-core plywood construction you find in most interior doors.

. . . then, in the VERY NEXT SHOT, she turns and blows the living gently caress out of a helicopter that's hovering outside the office (it's in a skyscraper or something) with a short 2 second burst, causing the helo to explode in mid-air and plummet to the street below.

The bullets are either weak enough to not go through a door or powerful enough to blow up (as in explode) a helicopter - pick one and stick with it.

Of course, this is coming from a movie that features not only a scene where a car jumps off a ramp and pulls a bomb off its undercarriage with a dangling crane hook, but where both the protagonist and antagonist survive an uncontrolled high speed crash into the ocean, in a business jet.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ophannin posted:

Content:
Rewatched the Bourne Identity the other night. I was appreciative of small things like seeing the characters have to reload on a consistent basis. However, the bad: Fully automatic "sniper" fire from +300 yards, and then promptly abandoning said fully automatic weapon for no reason and switching to a handgun to fight a break-action shotgun in open terrain.

Rifle lacks any sort of iron sights...a scoped rifle isn't exactly the best choice for fighting/shooting on the move.

(Oversight on his part, but it at least makes a little more sense than "hey I've got this perfectly functional rifle wait let me throw it aside and pull out my subcompact handgun and use that instead.")

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ophannin posted:

I'd buy that except that it shows him taking the scope and silencer off and looking down the sights of the rifle seconds before. Goofy as hell setup for his purposes regardless. VV

He might be looking down the rifle, but it sure ain't got sights. Regardless, like you said weird setup. It's like he got pissed off, took the scope and silencer off (why you'd take the silencer off is beyond me), and then realized...poo poo, forgot to put the BUIS on the gun today, welp, looks like I'm gonna be pistoling it up.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Road to Perdition-

Good: Head wounds bleed a lot, gunshot wounds at close range produce powder burns, shot glass explodes and causes a nasty eye wound, gun handling is generally good.

Bad: Dramatic cocking of hammer on 1911s.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

bunnielab posted:

But remember that condition 2 carry was popular around that time period.

Huh, I did not know that...they actually are consistent with this throughout the entire movie (any time Tom Hanks draws his 1911 it's in condition 2 and he cocks the hammer), so I guess we can take that off the bad list.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Frag Viper posted:

I was in the desert on the run from something, that something turned out to be a bunch of drug runners that we're in No Country for Old Men.

<...>

and then woke up.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Just reporting in to reemphasize that every single gun in the snowy/mountain sequence was pure sex.

Also, I'm seriously considering going and seeing it again while it's in theaters, which is something I never do...it was that good and that much of a mindfuck.

So if you haven't seen it, you need to do so, and then watch it again.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Young Freud posted:

You said it. It really seems that the reason why you don't see zombie stories with an accurate view of firearms, military arms or tactics is because anyone who has more than a little knowledge of all that knows that great limit the threat of the zombies, possibly to the point that they could be easily contained.

It doesn't help that a theme of many zombie movies (particularly the Romero originals) is that the "system" (i.e., police and military, i.e. the folks who would be the ones using their superior knowledge of firearms and tactics to make short work of the undead) is portrayed as incompetent and full of hubris.

That said, if they're 28 Days Later zombies, we're all hosed.

Yes, I know, they aren't technically zombies, whatever. Close enough.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been on a HUGE Miami Vice kick and not only is the firearms handling pretty well done, but the people actually seem relaxed and confident with them. I think part of it might have to do with the lesser number of actors these days who have ever held a gun off-set.

Two actors I can think of off the top of my head today who seem pretty chill and relaxed when gun stuff comes up are Leonardo Decaprio and that guy who used to be on That 70s Show who's a bit of a RL gun nut.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, I believe he is now more famous for being married to Demi Moore. What movies was he wielding a firearm in? And yeah, Leonard DiCaprio impressed me with his gun handling in Inception. I think the distinction is that now everyone handles their guns like they're some HSLD operator. That's fine if the character you're playing is supposed to be a HSLD dude, but when you're a street cop and you handle your weapon like you're a Green Ranger Delta SEAL Beret, it stands out. Since he wasn't really supposed to be that sort of guy and he didn't act that way, it didn't stand out and detract from the movie.

Speaking of Miami Vice, you haven't posted any pastel sport coat clad sawed off shotgun wielding awesomeness lately in the picture thread. You should fix that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

gauss posted:

So I've been reading plenty of books that are set squarely in that talky-but-true war stuff, and I can't get enough. Reading enough veteran accounts gives you a hint at some of these universals of war, and rarely are they seen in films.

Go see Restrepo. Now. Best war movie from the "universality of war/war sucks" perspective I've ever seen, fiction or nonfiction. It bounces around from a couple dudes having a no homo moment dancing to a Gunther song to a guy bawling his eyes out in the middle of a firefight seconds after coming across the body of one of the NCOs in the unit back to the steaks they cooked up after a cow wandered into their concertina wire and they had to kill it. Best thing is that it isn't political, one way or the other. It doesn't portray the guys fighting them as evil or get into all the reasons we should stay in Afghanistan, and it doesn't portray the U.S. soldiers as evil or retards who couldn't get into college or get into all the reasons we should leave Afghanistan. It just portrays the 15 months the platoon spent in the most dangerous valley in Afghanistan. Also, the action "scenes" (hesitate to use that word since it is a documentary) were as good as anything in Black Hawk Down or The Hurt Locker, except it's real. Of course, they were few and far in between, since an infantryman's life is 95% boredom/5% absolute terror, but the ones that were filmed were intense.

(Can you tell I think really highly of this film?)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Detective Thompson posted:

Which gun? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Well, there was a few normal SigSauer handguns, and then there was...something a little less common (and a little less Sauer).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. 47 posted:

Yeah, I suppose. But I keep seeing him in things. The other night I caught a little bit of "Independence Day," and someone walked across the screen. I actually said out loud, "Is that loving Adam Baldwin."

IMDB confirmed. He plays some random Air Force officer.

That's not "some random Air Force officer," he's the dude that runs Area 51.

"Is that glass bulletproof?"

"No sir"

*BLAM**BLAM BLAM BLAM**BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM*

Edit for the picture:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 1, 2010

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I loved the pilot, but one gun thing they did was right in the beginning when (I forget who said and did whatever) the guy told the other guy to make sure there was a round in the chamber and the safety off. So he cocked the slide (which made the viewer able to see that there was no ammo in the gun. I can abide by this, because they don't want live ammo on set, but then the guy clicked the safety off. On a Glock.

Not exactly gun related, but apparently the U.S. military only has Hueys these days...all the Black Hawks must have crashed or something during the zombie apocalypse.

I understand why film/TV show makers are forced to do this, but goddamn, it's loving annoying. Supposedly if the DoD hadn't agreed to support Black Hawk Down, they were going to roll with Hueys instead...that would've sucked hard.

Also, I'm 90% sure that M-1 tanks don't have the belly hatch anymore...pretty sure the last tank to have that was the M60.

However, the spoiler that crunkjuice posted was nice to see. Also, I was really hoping to see some Ma Deuce pain dealt out when he got into the tank.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Craptacular posted:

Re: The Walking Dead

I'm assuming real M1 Abrams don't have hatches on their underside, right?

iyaayas01 posted:

Also, I'm 90% sure that M-1 tanks don't have the belly hatch anymore...pretty sure the last tank to have that was the M60.

So yeah, as others have said Soviet/Russian MBTs do, and most U.S. tanks did as well, up until the M60 (predecessor to the M1).

Baldwin looks so angry/intense in that picture, it's perfect. Also doesn't hurt that he's actually holding his gun like he knows what the gently caress he's doing, which is especially ironic seeing as how he is playing an AIR FORCE officer next to a Marine General and a Secret Service agent...his character should be the least likely to know how to use a firearm.

The most terrified I've ever been on a range was when I was qualifying on the M9 with a bunch of other AFROTC cadets.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

A good guy, that last one was a good guy!

*Steely glare*

Man's got to know his limitations...

Magnum Force is one of those rare cases where a sequel is just as good, if not better, than the original.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that how police were actually trained to shoot back then? I mean the slightly-crouched point-shooting thing. That was really odd.

Jelly Bryce and Bill Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

_firehawk posted:

"In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."

Giulio Douhet: "Flexibility is the key to airpower."

Wag that came after Douhet: "Indecision is the key to flexibility."