Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DJExile posted:

Mythbusters doing a gun myth that isn't either:

A: Retardedly unsafe
B: Just plain wrong

is pretty rare, take most things they say with a grain of salt.

The chief one that I remember is them trying to recreate the shot of that sniper from Vietnam where he shot another sniper through his scope. They trotted out all these variable power scopes that have so many lenses getting a shot through one is nearly impossible. Had they bothered to source an original scope the opposiing sniper might have been using (not terribly difficult), they would have had a much easier time recreating the shot. I think someone even showed this by doing it correctly, though I don't recall where I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

In all fairness they came back and re-did it with a repro PU scope and, surprise surprise, it worked.

On the other hand, the "oh poo poo we've got snipers mad at us on the internet " banter that they had going on for the whole loving show made me change the channel at least four times before they got to actually shooting the scope.

Ah, that must be when they re-did it that I am remembering. I knew I had watched someone do it correctly.

And yeah, I can understand what you are saying. Anytime they go back to re-do a myth they seem to just throw in stupid remarks all the time. I really think they should just let KAri, Grant and Tory run the show. They seem to have a lot more fun and put more thought into things.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Mutually exclusive. She never shuts the gently caress up and says nothing in 10,000 words.

Yeah, I suppose that is true. She sure does seem to have enthusiasm for the job, though.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

DaWankler posted:

There was a show on the History or Military channel the other day about the history of the sniper. They successfully recreated it at like 25 yards with a period scope and demonstrated why it wouldn't work with modern scopes, as well. The impression I got from their commentary on it was that it was technically possible but highly improbable based on the precise angles needed at the distances it supposedly happened.

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for that, it was driving me crazy.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I like turtles posted:

Stupid sexy Flanders!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Mother of God...

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I know dirt in hollow paintballs is used to simulate shots in the dirt, on rocks or against block or brick walls, but no idea what they could use that would spark against a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

That's entirely possible, I just know that a few movies my friend has worked on they used dirt filled paintballs. Admittedly, they were low budget, so that might have something to do with it.