Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."
EDIT (7/30/2010): Jump to discussion on A Clash of Kings, the second book in the series.

MOD EDIT: Any spoiler, big or small, will be banned.
Any indirect spoiler, which is blatantly obvious in general once you get it, will get a LONG probation.

Alright goons, now is your chance to get in on The Book Barn's read through of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire! This discussion thread will be SPOILER-FREE. As the read-through progresses the spoiler fog of war will naturally recede, but this is your final warning.

:siren::siren::siren:DO NOT SPOIL THESE BOOKS.:siren::siren::siren:

That being said, if you have an interest in these books you probably shouldn't be on the internet, or even communicate with other beings capable of your language prior to finishing. Spoilers are everywhere on the web. For those willing to take that risk, welcome! Avoid rolling over spoiler tags, as you'll really regret it.

Author: George R. R. Martin, AKA GRRM.
Born: September 20, 1948 in Bayonne, New Jersey.
Occupation(s): Author, Former TV writer (The New Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast) , Miniature Salesmen, NFL Blogger, Convention Fixture
Genres: Fantasy, Science-fiction, Horror

Influences
J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert A. Heinlein, H. P. Lovecraft, F. Scott Fitzgerald, George MacDonald Fraser, Robert E. Howard, Stan Lee, Jack Vance, William Faulkner, Roger Zelazny,

Influenced
Daniel Abraham, Steven Erikson, Scott Lynch, David Anthony Durham, Paul Haines, Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, Michael Chabon

Why do I want to read GRRM?
GRRM's won awards! Locuses, Hugos, Nebulas, Ignotuses, AnLabs, Seiuns, Balrogs, Stokers, Geffens, Skylarks, and other things Scifi/Fantasy folks make up to convince ourselves it's a legitimate art form.

The Series: A Song of Ice and Fire

Why do I want to read this series?
Because you are a giant escapist medieval fantasy dork hungering for a low magic story that focuses on intrigue, royal plots, and the machinations of noble families. Because you want to :smug: at others when they go nuts over the HBO series coming next spring. Because you're the sort of person that enjoys reading phone book sized tomes, and descriptions of food.

Westeros is a world reminiscent of medieval Europe. Times past saw seven kingdoms conquered, and turned into one by a family with one three huge advantages: Dragons. Aegon Targaryen forged an iron throne from the swords of his enemies, and named himself king (literally). Through roughly three centuries, the Targaryens ruled. Over time, the dragons died off. Though it has been a century and a half since the last dragon had been seen, the Targaryen's maintained control, with noble houses both great and small bending the knee and maintaining the peace.

A decade and a half prior to the start of our story saw rebellion, the deposing of the Targaryens, and the fleeing of the last scions of their house into hiding across the sea.

GRRM uses a very effective Point of View, limited third person perspective per chapter following some of the victor's of the rebellion(both "good" and "bad"), their children, and the deposed. You'll follow current plots. You'll learn the nature of past plots, secrets, and mysteries. You'll find this all entwined with larger, ancient threats. Royal plots, ancient threats, mysteries, prophecies, twists, turns, betrayals, sex, rape, bastards, lemon cakes, and more! What more could you ask for?

Quotes about the Series:

Westeros.org, an ASoIaF fan site posted:

Imagine a feudal kingdom on a massive continent in a world filled with many cultures and half-legendary lands and an ancient history. Imagine a time where dragons once lived but magic is now dwindling, yet the seasons can be long or short, bringing glorious summers or terrible winters that last years at a time. Imagine a massive iron throne from which seven kingdoms are ruled, with false knights and true all gathered about it in hopes of blood or glory or profit, and shadows behind it pushing the pieces that make up the game of thrones.
Source: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Books/Entry/160/

Time posted:

Martin isn't the best known of America's straight-up fantasy writers. That honor would probably go to upstart Christopher Paolini (Eragon), or Robert Jordan (the endlessly turning Wheel of Time series), or better yet to ageless grandmistress Ursula K. LeGuin (A Wizard of Earthsea). But of those who work in the grand epic-fantasy tradition, Martin is by far the best. In fact, with his newest book, A Feast for Crows (Bantam; 784 pages), currently descending on bookstores and ascending best-seller lists, this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
Source: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1129596,00.html

• A Game of Thrones (1996)
  • A Clash of Kings (1998) [ Jump to discussion on aCoK ]
  • A Storm of Swords (2000)
  • A Feast for Crows (2005)
  • A Dance with Dragons (Released Yet?)
  • The Winds of Winter ("Forthcoming")
  • A Dream of Spring ("Forthcoming")

Additional Short-Stories: Same world, but taking place about a century before the series proper.
  • The Hedge Knight (1998)
  • The Sworn Sword (2003)
  • The Mystery Knight (2010)

Wait, the series isn't finished?
Correct! The writing of A Feast for Crows, and the "almost done" A Dance with Dragons was, and has been, troubled. Rewrites, change-ups, and other distractions have caused a delay in the release of the latest series installment. This has caused a large division in the fan base, and has either driven us mad (), or turned us into fawning sycophants. One day, you too will likely go mad, and we'll be here to welcome you with a lemoncake, and something non-consensual.

Bitchin' Art based on the Series(we are nerds.)

Trying to avoid spoilery images. Some of these certainly depict events in the book, but don't really spoil anything.

Principal Characters

The tale of the first book, A Game of Thrones, is told through the eyes of 8 POV characters and a one-off prologue POV.
  • Prologue: Will, a man of the Night's Watch (Ancient order sworn to guard "The Wall", an enormous blockade of ice protecting them from... hell, it's been so long THEY don't even remember).
  • Lord Eddard Stark, Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell, Hand of the King.
  • Lady Catelyn Stark, of House Tully, wife of Eddard Stark.
  • Sansa Stark, elder daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark.
  • Arya Stark, younger daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark.
  • Bran Stark, middle of three sons of Eddard and Catelyn Stark.
  • Jon Snow, bastard son of Eddard Stark. (Acknowledged bastards of noble houses cannot take their highborn name, and are assigned bastard surnames linked to the region they come from: Waters for King’s Landing and Dragonstone, Snow for the North, Pyke for the Iron Islands, Rivers for the Riverlands, Stone for the Vale, Hill for the Westerlands, Flowers for the Reach, Storm for the Stormlands and Sand for Dorne.)
  • Tyrion Lannister, a dwarf (literal, not a fantasy race), Queen Cersei's brother and son of Lord Tywin Lannister.
  • Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, the Princess of Dragonstone and heiress to the Targaryen throne through her older brother Viserys.

We will have point of view chapters from other characters in later books.

Other important characters exist. Many in fact, yet those are revealed through the course of the book, so no sense encumbering you now.

Resource Links

Again, your best bet is to stay away from anything outside of this thread concerning the series. But hey, links!

GRRM's website: The big guy himself. Rarely updated, and straight out of the 90's.
GRRM's blog: His livejournal, in which he describes all the ways in which he's not finishing the god drat book talks about his life, because according to Neil Gaiman, GRRM IS NOT YOUR BITCH :smug:.
Tower of the Hand: Resource with a filter level to help avoid spoilers in books you have not yet read.
Westeros.org: Another fan site. With a roughly obsessive amount of content, and stalker section in which everything GRRM has ever said about the series is cataloged.

Thread Links
STAY AWAY FROM HERE: Unless you've finished the books. The current ASoIaF thread has devolved into a horrible place, for horrible people. You will be hunted for sport. The previous thread is similar.
ALSO STAY AWAY FROM HERE: The TVIV thread, anticipating next Spring's series on HBO. Spoilers have a way of slipping into conversation.

Humor Links
@GRRMpy: Parody twitter account, typically tweeted in response to his LiveJournal entries.
Where's the book, George: GRRM critics.

Details of the Read

Book 1: A Game of Thrones
Week 1, Monday 24 May
Prologue
Bran 1
Catelyn 1
Dany 1
Ned 1
Jon 1
Catelyn 2
Arya 1
Bran 2
Tyrion 1
Jon 2
Dany 2

Week 2, Monday 31 May
Ned 2
Tyrion 2
Catelyn 3
Sansa 1
Ned 3
Bran 3
Catelyn 4
Jon 3
Ned 4
Tyrion 3
Arya 2

Week 3, Monday 7 June
Dany 3
Bran 4
Ned 5
Jon 4
Ned 6
Catelyn 5
Sansa 2
Ned 7
Tyrion 4

Week 4, Monday 14 June
Arya 3
Ned 8
Catelyn 6
Ned 9
Dany 4
Bran 5
Tyrion 5
Ned 10
Catelyn 7
Jon 5

Week 5, Monday 21 June
Tyrion 6
Ned 11
Sansa 3
Ned 12
Dany 5
Ned 13
Jon 6
Ned 14
Arya 4
Sansa 4

Week 6, Monday 28 June
Jon 7
Bran 6
Dany 6
Catelyn 8
Tyrion 7
Sansa 5
Ned 15
Catelyn 9

Week 7, Monday 5 July
Jon 8
Dany 7
Tyrion 8
Catelyn 10
Dany 8
Arya 5

Week 8, Monday 12 July
Bran 7
Sansa 6
Dany 8
Tyrion 9
Jon 9
Catelyn 11
Dany 9

If you get ahead, please spoiler your comments or else you will get probated and/or banned (see above). Please PM/Email viconia@somethingawful.com if you find the timeline is too fast/slow or with any comments.
Details on other book timelines to follow..

Zombie Lincoln fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

:siren::siren::siren: Week 1 Recap! :siren::siren::siren:
(This was added after the Week 2 recap went in, for uniformity's sake)

Prologue: Three rangers in the Night's Watch track a group of wildling raiders beyond the Wall.

Bran 1: Robb Stark and Jon Snow discover a litter of direwolves, one pup for each of Eddard Stark's six children.

Catelyn 1: Catelyn Tully informs her husband, Eddard, that Jon Arryn, an old friend of Eddard's, has died and that King Robert Baratheon is coming to Winterfell.

Dany 1: Exiled prince Viserys Targaryen sells his sister Daenerys to Khal Drogo of the Dothraki in exchange for an army to take back the Seven Kingdoms.

Ned 1: King Robert and his party arrive in Winterfell; Robert asks Eddard to be the new Hand of the King and promises to wed his son Joffrey to Ned's daughter Sansa.

Jon 1: A feast is held in honor of the king; Tyrion Lannister, brother of the queen and a dwarf, speaks with Jon Snow about being Eddard Stark's bastard son; Jon declares that he wishes to join the Night's Watch.

Catelyn 2: A secret letter from Catelyn's sister Lysa convinces Eddard to go to King's Landing with the king; Lysa claims that Jon Arryn was murdered by the queen.

Arya 1: Failing miserably at her needlework, Arya Stark goes to watch her brothers Robb and Bran practice swords with the princes Joffrey and Tommen, respectively.

Bran 2: Bran accidentally witnesses Queen Cersei Lannister having sex with her twin brother, Ser Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard; Jaime flings Bran from a tower.

Tyrion 1: Tyrion has breakfast with Cersei and Jaime, noting that Bran lies crippled and in a coma, but unlikely to die from the fall; Tyrion announces his plans to see the Wall.

Jon 2: Before leaving with his uncle Benjen Stark for the Wall, Jon visits with Bran, Robb, and Arya; he gives Arya a small sword named Needle.

Dany 2: Daenerys weds Khal Drogo and is offered many wedding gifts, among them three dragon eggs from Magister Illyrio Mopatis.

Next:

Week 2, Monday 31 May
Ned 2
Tyrion 2
Catelyn 3
Sansa 1
Ned 3
Bran 3
Catelyn 4
Jon 3
Ned 4
Tyrion 3
Arya 2

Zombie Lincoln fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 1, 2010

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
Might as well get a 6th read in. I'll try and keep up with this read-through, but probably won't comment much to avoid spoilering things accidentally.

And honestly, the thing that makes this series amazing is that it's even better the 2nd and 3rd time you read through it. There are so many layers of nuance and subtle plots that you pick things up on future readings that make it incredible. Think the fantasy series version of Arrested Development. Small clues that you'd never notice until you already found out what happens in the end. They abound.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~
Awesome OP! I will have to dig out my copy of GoT to get in on this (I have nothing better to do :( )

Khatib posted:

And honestly, the thing that makes this series amazing is that it's even better the 2nd and 3rd time you read through it. There are so many layers of nuance and subtle plots that you pick things up on future readings that make it incredible. Think the fantasy series version of Arrested Development. Small clues that you'd never notice until you already found out what happens in the end. They abound.

Speaking of which, are we going to talk about these as we read through?

Karter705 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 19, 2010

dyehead
Nov 28, 2008
There's also a pretty awesome (mostly hilarious) podcast that contains a good portion of the first book via readthrough... but there are plenty of spoilers in it.

http://podcastoficeandfire.com

I'm sure there are other podcasts out there, but it's the most goony.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Time for a goonfession: Despite taking part in the GRRM bashing discussion in the other thread for years, I've never actually read A Storm of Swords or A Feast for Crows. I was going to wait for ADwD to be announced :laugh: but then I got spoiled about every possible plot point in the latter books so I just didn't bother. However, I will get around to it because I like the world and characters of the books!

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Put spoiler free in the title to attracts noobs! Maybe put a link in the TVIV thread for people who are curious?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Excellent! I'm still finishing up Game on my second read through of the series, but I can tag along.

And you poor fuckers who are new to G. R. R. Martin are screwed.

dyehead posted:

There's also a pretty awesome (mostly hilarious) podcast that contains a good portion of the first book via readthrough... but there are plenty of spoilers in it.

http://podcastoficeandfire.com

I'm sure there are other podcasts out there, but it's the most goony.

Many or most of these guys are Goons too. I'd love to find out who is who on here. Mostly because I have beef with a couple of them.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Put spoiler free in the title to attracts noobs! Maybe put a link in the TVIV thread for people who are curious?

drat title's too long to add anything!

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

LooseChanj posted:

You could take out George R. R. Martin I suppose. They'll get a nice glimpse of him when they click the thread anyway.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
This sounds good, been too long since my last readthrough and I'm sure I've forgotten the majority of A Feast For Crows.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the other thread :)

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Perhaps the other thread should be prepended with [SPOILERS!].

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Perhaps the other thread should be prepended with [SPOILERS!].

Not nearly accurate enough. [SPOILED!] might work.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Hmmm, might have to load the audiobooks back onto my mp3 player to join the ride at work.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just started my first re-read last week, so I'll play along in the discussion as we start talking about chapters. These books really are great when you re-read them. I'm catching a whole lot more stuff that I didn't get the first time around.

EDIT EDIT: Alright, the spoilers are gone now.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 19, 2010

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Count how many times GRRM uses the phrase "had the grace to blush". There's at least 3 :barf:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Nothing to see here. This guy spoiled most of the books for people. Lesson be learnt!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 19, 2010

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Wow already spoiled on the first page that was quicker then I expected. At least they look shiny.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

spoiler

Well, that didn't take long.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 19, 2010

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Throwdown posted:

Well, that didn't take long.

Probably want to clear out your quote before the ravens reach the mods.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
This is why we can't have nice things.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Probably want to clear out your quote before the ravens reach the mods.

Good call. I guess you can't be a true to form "WILD CARD" without being a dick.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Throwdown posted:

Good call. I guess you can't be a true to form "WILD CARD" without being a dick.

I just love how miserable fans of GRRM's are that they love to spoil new readers.

It's almost like a jealous lover: "if we can't have him, no one will".

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I liked the idea of the thread since I just started reading the series (finished with the 2nd book recently) and have nowhere where I can discuss them without being spoiled, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We all know that won't be the last time, too. Face it, it's impossible to keep a spoiler-free thread in TBB.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I liked the idea of the thread since I just started reading the series (finished with the 2nd book recently) and have nowhere where I can discuss them without being spoiled, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Ayn Rand and Martin could not have more different writing styles.

Yet the thing they share in common is that their fans are assholes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pompous Rhombus posted:

spoilers

Okay this is just dumb. I'm all for spoiling idiots who come into the bad!thread but this is the good!thread for newbies. Viconia please permaban this douchebag.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

Hedrigall posted:

Okay this is just dumb. I'm all for spoiling idiots who come into the bad!thread but this is the good!thread for newbies.

The thing that bothers me is that it completely misses the point of spoiling newbs in the other thread. It's like a slap in the face to our threads glorious history. :(

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pompous Rhombus posted:

:fyadride: :supaburn: :black101: :catdrugs: :siren: WILDCARDS, BITCHES :siren: :catdrugs: :black101: :supaburn: :fyadride:

IMO, while I love me some wildcard books, this is the best wildcard out there.:

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

bengraven posted:

Ayn Rand and Martin could not have more different writing styles.

Yet the thing they share in common is that their fans are assholes.

I don't think any of us are GRRM fans, we all see him as an absolute fucker who happens to write exceedingly good fantasy novels in his spare time whenever he can tear away from the NFL / selling water damaged calandars from last year.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Virigoth posted:

IMO, while I love me some wildcard books, this is the best wildcard out there.:

:catdrugs: is the best emote.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I managed to power through the four books last fall without being spoiled. I laughed, I cried, I raged, and now I check the lemoncakes/rape thread daily in the hope that someday I'll see a link to a ADwD release announcement.

So all that being said, I'm pretty stoked to do a group re-read. I actually started with the audio book a couple of days ago, but I'll put the brakes on it for now until the discussion time line comes out.

Let me be the first to say the prologue sucks...

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Well, this thread had a good run I suppose.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

All the wildcards crew must post in this thread. Voting 5 to lure people.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
In honor of the new thread, I'm officially ending my denial and requesting a Wild Cards tag.

E: Can someone PM Viconia for me please, I dont have PMs.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Rhgr posted:

I don't think any of us are GRRM fans, we all see him as an absolute fucker who happens to write exceedingly good fantasy novels in his spare time whenever he can tear away from the NFL / selling water damaged calandars from last year.

If you weren't a fan, you wouldn't obsess about his inactivity.

Come on, you know we all want to hug that Santa Claus looking mother fucker.

bengraven fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 19, 2010

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Mr.48 posted:

In honor of the new thread, I'm officially ending my denial and requesting a Wild Cards tag.

You and me both buddy, I didn't know how to hate til I started hanging out in the ASOIAF thread.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Paddyo posted:

So all that being said, I'm pretty stoked to do a group re-read. I actually started with the audio book a couple of days ago, but I'll put the brakes on it for now until the discussion time line comes out.

Is the audiobook actually decent? I wouldn't be able to listen to a book this long on tape.

edit: but yes, this is why we can't have nice things

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm in for the re-read, I had to dig my copy of a game of thrones out of the deep dark black back of my bookshelf but I found it. Last time I read the books I power read them to get finished, was a huggeee mistake. I'm sure I can learn something new from the re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was very much not impressed with the first chapter. The prologue was alright, for what it was, but the first chapter felt so strange and forced to me. I guess that's because GRRM had a vision of this scene, and decided to construct the entire series around it, but it just feels forced.

• Locked thread