Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hahaha, so many black bars. I'm just going to wait to read about it in the story, but thanks for answering anyhow. I wasn't sure if it was something that would be left up to theory or if the actual events would be further explained in later books. Hell, I'm satisfied with my original assumption that the big guy with the fat beard and a Warhammer got King'd for kicking some serious Targaryen rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think most of it was explained in the first book;it's just hard to remember after having to absorb so many names,events,flashbacks,heraldry,naked teenagers and food descriptions.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

Jolo posted:

Hahaha, so many black bars. I'm just going to wait to read about it in the story, but thanks for answering anyhow. I wasn't sure if it was something that would be left up to theory or if the actual events would be further explained in later books. Hell, I'm satisfied with my original assumption that the big guy with the fat beard and a Warhammer got King'd for kicking some serious Targaryen rear end.

I'll pull some of this out of the black bars... but basically, the Baratheons had a Targaryen marry into their line some time back. I think it may even be as close as Robert, Stannis, and Renly's grandmother. By blood, Robert had a stronger claim to the Iron throne than Jon Arryn, or Eddard Stark.

That is a relatively minor detail, though. You learn quite a lot about what happened in bits and pieces dropped throughout the story. We are still waiting for certain pieces to be revealed.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

Zombie Lincoln posted:

I think it may even be as close as Robert, Stannis, and Renly's grandmother.

Yeah, this is correct. I had thought it was their great grandmother, but was mistaken.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Karter705 posted:

Yeah, this is correct. I had thought it was their great grandmother, but was mistaken.

Further, they say the original (Orys Baratheon) was a general, and bastard brother of, Aegon the Conquerer.

A lot of little bits and pieces like this about all the houses are sprinkled throughout the books. As Jolo said, it really gives the series a history, and a lived in feel.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

So with all the focus on the Targaryen heritage and the speculation on who might be descended from them, are we supposed to root for some Targaryen guy to get the throne back because that would be more legitimate than team Robert's-Rebellion?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think it's so much "he is more related to the evil crazy people so he should win" and more "he is more related so should he win he has the best claim to the spoils." Although I gotta say my wild speculation for the entire series is gonna be Jon totally boning Dany and becoming king with her somehow. Either that or she'll like, take over the continent but Jon will somehow meet and communicate with those jerks on the other side of the wall and they will have to fight Dany's people and, oh ho ho, look at that, it will be A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE! :smuggo:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Was Beric Dondarrion featured in Game of Thrones outside of the tourney and the council session with Ned?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

savinhill posted:

Was Beric Dondarrion featured in Game of Thrones outside of the tourney and the council session with Ned?

He was the guy sent to hunt Gregor by Ned.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

savinhill posted:

Catelyn also encountered him, in passing, during her travels to Kings Landing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

jassi007 posted:

He was the guy sent to hunt Gregor by Ned.
Yeah that was the council session I was referring to,I was trying not to spoiler it in case this thread hasn't gotten that far into the book yet.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

:siren::siren::siren: Week 5 Recap :siren::siren::siren:

Tyrion 6: Tyrion tells Bronn about his marriage to Tysha; they are accosted by mountain clansmen to whom Tyrion promises aid in taking the Vale.
  • A brigade at a silver a piece, and a gold for Tyrion, because a Lannister is worth more. A Lannister always pays his debts...
  • Shagga!

Ned 11: Eddard hears testimony from Marq Piper, Karyl Vance, and Raymun Darry about a series of raids carried out by Gregor Clegane; Eddard attaints Gregor for treason and orders Lord Beric Dondarrion to bring him to justice.
  • GREGOR in EFFECT.
  • Loras wants a go at GREGOR, but come on. Jousting is one thing, but who would you bet on, the Knight of Flowers :gay:, or THE MOUNTAIN WHO RIDES :black101:.
  • Instead off go Lord Beric Dondarrion, the "lightning lord", Thoros of Myr, a few other ser'd and/or titled folk, and about 40 other men at arms, bearing the King's banners to bring the King's Justice to GREGOR.
  • Ser Ilyn Payne didn't seem too pleased at not getting to be the executioner on this mission.

Sansa 3: Eddard tells Sansa and Arya he is sending them back to Winterfell for their own safety.
  • Sansa, once again, is caught up in her fairy tale outlook.
  • Life is not a song...
  • Ned tells her to get her poo poo, she's going home.
  • But, but, but, Queen Naerys and Aemon and Jonquil and ser florian, and blah blah blah blah #sansasucks.
  • Sansa: "...but Joffrey is nothing like the king!" :bravo:

Ned 12: Eddard meets with Cersei and reveals that he knows that Jaime is the father of her children; he warns her to go into exile before Robert returns from hunting.
  • #StarkIdeas
  • Eddard remembers how Rhaegar's children were murdered, by Lannister men (GREGOR in particular), and Lord Tywin presented them to Robert. He would prefer to skip the kiddie killing this time around.

Dany 5: The dosh khaleen proclaim Dany's unborn child the stallion who mounts the world; at a celebratory feast that night, Viserys threatens Daenerys and demands his promised crown, leading Drogo to pour molten gold over him.
  • There is all kinds of awesome in this chapter:
  • Dany eats a horse heart...
  • The Stallion who Mounts the World...
  • Names her unborn child Rhaego, which sounds a little too close to Ragu for my tastes.
  • Drunk Viserys comes swinging his cock around again. Worst loving inlaw.
  • After drawing his sword on holy ground, Drogo bestows upon Viserys one of the coolest deaths ever. Crowns him with mother-loving molten gold.
  • Sure, you can't spill blood on holy ground, but hey, TECHNICALITIES, BITCHES!

Ned 13: Robert returns from his hunt mortally wounded and dictates his will, naming Eddard Protector of the Realm; Eddard refuses Renly's offer to secure the royal children; Eddard writes a letter urging Stannis to take the Iron Throne.
  • Robert got too smashed off his wine (fed to him by a lannister squire), and got gored by a bore. Specifically, "tore him from groin to nipple." Well poo poo.
  • Repents for sending assassins after a young girl and her unborn child.
  • Dictates his will, making Eddard the "Lord Protector".
  • Renly offers swords, but Eddard refuses. #StarkIdeas
  • Petyr suggests pretending Joffrey was Robert's, and just getting on that way. Eddard refuses.
  • Instead, he believe it must go to Robert's true heir, his brother Stannis.
  • Eddard has Petyr secure the City Watch's loyalty

Jon 6: Jon, Sam, and several others are raised to the Night's Watch; Ghost discovers a rotting hand beyond the Wall.

Ned 14: Robert is dead; Eddard presents Robert's will to Cersei, who tears it up; Eddard declares Stannis the true king and orders the City Watch to arrest Cersei, but they apprehend him instead.
  • Well, that didn't go as planned.

Arya 4: Ser Meryn comes to take Arya into custody while she is practicing with Syrio; Syrio sacrifices himself so Arya can escape.
  • Tragic, yet awesome scene.
  • "You will be stopping there."
  • "I am Syrio Forel, and you will now be speaking to me with more respect."
  • "You are quick for a dancing master."
  • "You are slow, for a knight."
  • "Look with your eyes..."
  • Poor Syrio.

Sansa 4: Sansa is brought before Cersei, who tells her to write a letter to Robb urging him not to take up arms.
  • #SansaSucks
  • #StarkIdeas
  • Seriously, loving Sansa.

Prev: Week 4
Next: Week 6, Monday 28 June

Jon 7
Bran 6
Dany 6
Catelyn 8
Tyrion 7
Sansa 5
Ned 15
Catelyn 9

Zombie Lincoln fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 5, 2010

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I posit that Syrio is the best.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I posit that Ned is the worst.

He will have to come up with something really clever if he wants to get out of this. :3:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vanadium posted:

I posit that Ned is the worst.

He will have to come up with something really clever if he wants to get out of this. :3:

Ned is many things.

Clever is not one of them.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Sansa 4 has to be one of the biggest #SansaSucks chapters in the entire book, if not the entire series (guess I'll be finding out!).

Although from the bit of CoK I've waded into thus far that seems to have been toned down a good deal.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Nerd Watch posted:

Sansa 4 has to be one of the biggest #SansaSucks chapters in the entire book, if not the entire series (guess I'll be finding out!).

Although from the bit of CoK I've waded into thus far that seems to have been toned down a good deal.

Yeah, I think she's starting to Get It. On the other hand, Arya appears to have caught the stupid ("He's a lord! He'll HAVE to help me!" :bang: ) so I guess it's a wash.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
They're children. Why is everyone always so shocked by the stupid decisions made by an 11 year-old girl.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

They're children. Why is everyone always so shocked by the stupid decisions made by an 11 year-old girl.

Because I don't think GRRM writes children very well. Half the time the children are super-mature Ender's Game style children, so when they actually act like real children it's completely out of the ordinary.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I wouldn't say shocked, so much as irritated by, angered by, or disappointed in. I mean, come on, you've never wanted to yell at a kid for loving something up? Regardless of her silly naive child motives, Sansa really hosed something up.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Ned 11 ranks up there with Ned stupid decisions.While revealing all his plans to cersei is the dumbest of all,during the council session he could have sent Loras in command and had him take some Highgarden retainers.Instead he sends a lower lord without a big retinue and weakens his own guard force by sending a good number with them.Also by sending Loras he could have caused some dissension between Highgarden and the Lannisters.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

savinhill posted:

Ned 11 ranks up there with Ned stupid decisions.While revealing all his plans to cersei is the dumbest of all,during the council session he could have sent Loras in command and had him take some Highgarden retainers.Instead he sends a lower lord without a big retinue and weakens his own guard force by sending a good number with them.Also by sending Loras he could have caused some dissension between Highgarden and the Lannisters.

Telling Cersei ultimately proved to be horrible decision.

Of course, Ned hadn't anticipated the king getting boared. Robert would have had Cersei, Jaime, Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen killed. Though Ned probably doesn't care about Cersei and Jaime so much, he didn't want to cause the murder of three children. So he offered her a kindness, thinking she'd flee to save her children. Cersei's murder plot, carried out by cousin Lancel, the king's squire, really removed that threat. Being honorable really hosed him, this time.

Not sending Loras was probably a good idea. The Mountain and his men are serious business, and Loras is young. Further, Beric is a lord, while Loras isn't. His older brother is heir apparent. Would it ultimately have proved a better decision? Who knows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
It's pretty much all moot anyway because Ned's honor would have prevented him from taking any political advantages he could have by sending Loras,whether Loras was killed or he succeeded.Still sending a bunch of his own personal guard was utter stupidity considering all that was going on in King's Landing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
On my first read through of the series I missed a lot of obvious stuff.I didn't realize how Ned's decisions could be so dumb.I really didn't find Cat bitchy until a late reread.I did hate Sansa the first time though.
There are a lot of other things I missed that seemed so obvious on a further reading.I don't want to discuss them now as they would spoil many things.
Participating in this thread as you read GoT for the first time do you feel you are absorbing more minutiae,character traits,events and themes that you may have missed reading on your own?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Zombie Lincoln posted:

I wouldn't say shocked, so much as irritated by, angered by, or disappointed in. I mean, come on, you've never wanted to yell at a kid for loving something up? Regardless of her silly naive child motives, Sansa really hosed something up.

Yeah, yeah. You're right. I've wanted to yell at kids for being retards - and I was irritated with Sansa's fuckups on my first read-through too.

I'm just saying that I think people go too hard on Sansa sometimes (and on Arya on the rare occasion that she does something totally dumb [but this may be because Arya's prob. my favorite fantasy character of all time, so I'm willing to go super-easy on her.]) But I did dumb poo poo when I was 11 too. It's part of being 11 years-old.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is Syrio presumed dead for the rest of the series? The book never explicitly revealed his death after his wooden sword broke.I expect a come back from the master of swords defending Arya sometime in the future.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So is Syrio presumed dead for the rest of the series? The book never explicitly revealed his death after his wooden sword broke.I expect a come back from the master of swords defending Arya sometime in the future.

See with your eyes.

Despite Syrio focusing all of his skill and attention on the Kingsguard, the knight was fully armored in thick plate, wielding a steel sword to Syrio's wooden stick.

Which was sliced in half.

Some people have theories about what may have happened, but personally, I believe Syrio to be done for. Which is a shame, cause he was awesome.

Re: those theories - Seriously, they rely on the idea that anyone with a similar accent is the same faceless man, jesus. Just cause he says, "Just So", doesn't mean he's the same person.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
ButI thought Ned was a faceless man switched from the cells.Oh the shock.

Quakerman
Apr 4, 2010

by elpintogrande
Watching this thread creep closer to the :aaa: moments in the series is amazing.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Jolo posted:

One thing that I really like about this series is the way the back story is slowly laid out through the course of the main, currently unfolding plot. It leaves you unsure about the motivations of some characters, and kind of helps to keep the mystery there for the inevitable twists and turns in the plot. And it leaves some characters misunderstood, so that as they are first showed to you from one point of view, you may love or hate them, or think they don't matter. Then later in the story, from another viewpoint and with a more complete backstory, they come off entirely the opposite.

Another great thing about that, is that the series really comes out well on a re-read. Because you have a better grasp on who certain characters are, and then going back to the earlier POV's of that character, you see things you didn't before, knowing what you now know, and it adds more depth to your understanding of the character who's perspective you're being told the story from, based on their inaccurate portrayal of a character you now know more about -- if that makes sense the way I worded it. It came out clumsy. Like say Bob really likes John, and John seems like a good guy, but then two books later, Bill starts making GBS threads all over John, and given the passing, indirect commentary made by Dave and Steve earlier in the story, you realize John really is a piece of poo poo. So when you go back and re-read those early Bob chapters, you see a lot you didn't see about John the first time, and learn more about Bob based on his misconceptions that you now know to be false.

And again, I love, love, LOVE the gradual reveal of the back story. That's one of those things that really makes the re-reads greats. You get tidbits that you only half understand, here and there, but once you've made it to the end of book four the series, you have a larger picture of those gradually revealed events, and upon re-reading, the tidbits you didn't fully grasp at the beginning now make more sense and flesh out the full picture even better.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 30, 2010

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: That was Catelyn's chapter. derp derp

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 30, 2010

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Karter705 posted:

They are creating an entire language for the Dothraki. :D

I actually hate it when they do that. "My Moon, my stars" was the maximum of made-up language that I could handle.

Also, why should they focus on Dothraki now? There's lots of other languages that are more important and have cool sayings, like Valyris(?) or the common tongue ("Dark Wings, dark Words")

PS: Dothrakis are hoodlums.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I actually hate it when they do that. "My Moon, my stars" was the maximum of made-up language that I could handle.

Also, why should they focus on Dothraki now? There's lots of other languages that are more important and have cool sayings, like Valyris(?) or the common tongue ("Dark Wings, dark Words")

PS: Dothrakis are hoodlums.

It's for the TV show. You can't just imagine a khalasar speaking in the background as you can with the books.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Zombie Lincoln posted:

It's for the TV show. You can't just imagine a khalasar speaking in the background as you can with the books.

So just use Mongolian or something?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Khatib posted:

How hard is it to invent a language? Pay a linguistics nerd a few hundred dollars and viola! new language!

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Khatib posted:

Mongolians (or more likely someone else) would get upset at their negative and bizarre portrayal as horse-centric barbarian rapists.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Locus posted:

Mongolians (or more likely someone else) would get upset at their negative and bizarre portrayal as horse-centric barbarian rapists.

Plus, the Mongolian extras would be saying poo poo like "So did you get the new iPhone? Yeah, I heard it's pretty good, but service near my Yurt is bad, so I'm thinking of picking it up and hiking to a new campground..." which would distract actual Mongolians from enjoying the series.

It doesn't sound important, but 24.3% of HBO's subscriber base is at least half Mongolian.

That's a lie, obviously.

Maverix0r
Apr 16, 2005

Legend of the West
I just accidentally moused over a spoiler tag revealing the deaths of two major characters. Spoiler tagged or not, keep your loving spoilers out of the thread that has "spoiler free" in its title you loving cunthairs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn

Maverix0r posted:

I just accidentally moused over a spoiler tag revealing the deaths of two major characters. Spoiler tagged or not, keep your loving spoilers out of the thread that has "spoiler free" in its title you loving cunthairs.
You can't see spoiler tags? Are you blind? Did someone cut off your hand and replace it with a prosthetic? It's not that hard to avoid mousing over a spoiler. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Maverix0r posted:

'Spoiler free' means the true GRRM nerds aren't spoiling us for sport at this point. Avoiding properly spoiler'ed posts is your own responsibility, just be more careful with flinging your mouse cursor everywhere (and pausing to read what it reveals).

• Locked thread