Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Nothing to see here. This guy spoiled most of the books for people. Lesson be learnt!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haraksha posted:

Joff is a perfect example of why you need a variety of ingredients to get the best results in the kitchen.

:golfclap:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Imagine a sheer cliff. On the side of the cliff are dozens of tiny little caves. These are the cells. The lower levels of the castle are down inside the mountain on which the cliff resides. The castle is perched on top like an eagle on a tall tree.

Imagine four prisoners on the edge of a cliff...

IRQ posted:

I also said this in the Bad thread, but no! What on earth gives you this idea?

Jon and Arya happen to have more similar personality-wise than they do with the rest of the family. Just because they get along better doesn't mean they're loving.

You have a filthy mind. It is the Bad thread's fault. One of us...

Yeah, I never got that vibe at all; it's just the two outcasts of the family sharing a common bond. This isn't Heinlein or anything.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Maarak posted:

Finished Clash of Kings a few days ago and well into Sword of Storms. Kings was a bit better than Game of Thrones, if only because there wasn't the need for as much set up, but Martin has some literary quirks that are starting to bug me.

He seems to really like describing the layering of clothing, jewlery, and armor that characters are wearing, to the point that he must have used "hauberk" and "surecoat" at least once a chapter. Similarly, he's got a thing for describing feasts in more detail than is really necessary. None of it is Tolkien level bad, but considering the strength of his writing is in the story and plot, it feels almost like he's trying to pad out the length. Given his background in TV, this seems even more out of place, as that kind of writing has so little emphasis on those details.

I'm sure I'm quickly becoming as jaded and bitter as the people in the Bad Thread, but for now I'm still enjoying the books.

I find it helps to imagine this

sitting hunched over a computer typing, alone in a room surrounded by figurines and water-damaged merchandise. It puts the food (and descriptions of sex) in the proper context.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got to the end of my re-read of CoC (and I guess I'll probably skip SoS since the library doesn't have the audiobooks) and I really forgot how much I dislike the Dothraki. Hope all those fuckers die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Why would you skip SoS? It's the best book of the series by a long shot.

Because I'm listening to the audiobooks at work and I'd have to manually rip the tapes from the library to MP3 individually, rather than CD's as I've been doing. I've got plenty of paper books that would take priority over a third reading of ASoIaF

• Locked thread