Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
Might as well get a 6th read in. I'll try and keep up with this read-through, but probably won't comment much to avoid spoilering things accidentally.

And honestly, the thing that makes this series amazing is that it's even better the 2nd and 3rd time you read through it. There are so many layers of nuance and subtle plots that you pick things up on future readings that make it incredible. Think the fantasy series version of Arrested Development. Small clues that you'd never notice until you already found out what happens in the end. They abound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Jolo posted:

Hahaha, so many black bars. I'm just going to wait to read about it in the story, but thanks for answering anyhow. I wasn't sure if it was something that would be left up to theory or if the actual events would be further explained in later books. Hell, I'm satisfied with my original assumption that the big guy with the fat beard and a Warhammer got King'd for kicking some serious Targaryen rear end.

One thing that I really like about this series is the way the back story is slowly laid out through the course of the main, currently unfolding plot. It leaves you unsure about the motivations of some characters, and kind of helps to keep the mystery there for the inevitable twists and turns in the plot. And it leaves some characters misunderstood, so that as they are first showed to you from one point of view, you may love or hate them, or think they don't matter. Then later in the story, from another viewpoint and with a more complete backstory, they come off entirely the opposite.

Another great thing about that, is that the series really comes out well on a re-read. Because you have a better grasp on who certain characters are, and then going back to the earlier POV's of that character, you see things you didn't before, knowing what you now know, and it adds more depth to your understanding of the character who's perspective you're being told the story from, based on their inaccurate portrayal of a character you now know more about -- if that makes sense the way I worded it. It came out clumsy. Like say Bob really likes John, and John seems like a good guy, but then two books later, Bill starts making GBS threads all over John, and given the passing, indirect commentary made by Dave and Steve earlier in the story, you realize John really is a piece of poo poo. So when you go back and re-read those early Bob chapters, you see a lot you didn't see about John the first time, and learn more about Bob based on his misconceptions that you now know to be false.

And again, I love, love, LOVE the gradual reveal of the back story. That's one of those things that really makes the re-reads greats. You get tidbits that you only half understand, here and there, but once you've made it to the end of book four the series, you have a larger picture of those gradually revealed events, and upon re-reading, the tidbits you didn't fully grasp at the beginning now make more sense and flesh out the full picture even better.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 30, 2010

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Zombie Lincoln posted:

It's for the TV show. You can't just imagine a khalasar speaking in the background as you can with the books.

So just use Mongolian or something?

• Locked thread