Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dendra
May 3, 2009

Paddyo posted:

So all that being said, I'm pretty stoked to do a group re-read. I actually started with the audio book a couple of days ago, but I'll put the brakes on it for now until the discussion time line comes out.

Is the audiobook actually decent? I wouldn't be able to listen to a book this long on tape.

edit: but yes, this is why we can't have nice things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Can we get a reread timetable going? I just finished the last of my stack of books and I now have nothing until the Dragon Tattoo series arrives (alternatively I could study for exams, but psssh)

If nobody wants to write it up - X chapter by Y date - i don't mind giving it a shot.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

ah...I can only really think of one non-prologue one?

There were a few in Feast from memory. Unless Martin planned to make a habit of writing from the perspective of a guard that is.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Page numbers (and which POV it is) can identify it fine, since even between editions there's not a massive discrepancy between pages.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

I dont particularly like Jon as a character, too emo. Then again who knows how his storyline will turn out. I mean at the start of the series both Sansa and Jaime were pretty insufferable, but they grew on me over time. The Hound was always awesome though.

Sansa gets more interesting as the series progresses, but I certainly wouldn't say she was more likeable. The main saving grace of her chapters is how naive she is (and how she mentions lemoncakes!)

Dendra
May 3, 2009
^^
I don't know why you spoilered that..?

quote:

There are no wizards, what are you talking about?

I think he's talking very broadly (and he said they don't play a big role, which is true)

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Crisco Kid posted:

You could argue Thoros or Melisandre, maybe the Quartheen or Faceless Men in that they appear to do magic, but it's a stretch. No pointy hats either way.

Yeah this was my thinking as well. Not classical wizards but they can go under the broad stereotype/category.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Regicide posted:

I'm in... I have already read it but I have been meaning to reread it for a while... are you all starting tomorrow?

Yes, I'm a bit over halfway through so tomorrow I'll post some discussion points for people to talk about i guess.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
I think I was hooked a bit earlier than halfway, I liked the setting much more than a lot of other fantasy novels. Probably because I love historical fiction and it has that feel.

So Monday the 24th has arrived. Who wants to talk about the books? I spoilered any potential giveaway points but they're by no means major. Most of the week 1 chapters were introduction anyway.

What did you think of the prologue compared to the rest of the chapters?
What about all the PoV characters that Martin uses?
Is the unfolding story something you like?

Specific stuff:
Dany 1: The Dany/Viserys relationship
Bran 2: "The things I do for love"/Cersei and Jaime

I can't find my copy of the book so that's all I can remember. Anyone else have anything they want to add?

Dendra
May 3, 2009

HedgeHodge posted:

drat even as a first time reader I figured that one out.

I missed it on my first readthrough. There's a lot of stuff in the books that isn't obvious unless you're switched on and reading carefully. Going slowly is rewarded in this series, you can really get into the story and see connections that aren't otherwise obvious.

quote:

I'm done except for the last few pages of Feast For Crows, since I'm saving them for when the next book comes out.

Ahahahah

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Zombie Lincoln posted:

It's entirely possible that I'm the one confused. I didn't come up with the time-line (was edited in to my post), and I was assuming those dates were the "due dates".

Viconia, are they supposed to be the start dates, or due dates?

They're meant to be the start dates.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Whelp!

On the plus side, there are way worse places to make that kind of mistake!

Spoilers in the non spoiler thread!

True though, I should go find my book and check the chapters so i can join in (it's still missing from last week :( )

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Viconia posted:

I have to read the "bad" thread on a daily basis. I think I know every plot spoiler there is. and it's not like I want to read it, but I have to :smith:

Just out of curiosity, how many reported posts are there from that thread? Or is the reading pro-active moderation?

quote:

So, our days of discussing the finer points of the biology of lactating breasts are nearing their end?

It would seem so. This is concerning :(

Dendra
May 3, 2009
The ending to aFfC is similar to aGoT in that (very general spoiler) both end on cliffhangers and there's a lot of unresolved stuff that's just happened.

But that's not why we're so angry (when you finish book 4 come visit us in the bad thread)

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

So I'm reading the first Cat chapter of the week and what the gently caress Lysa the kid is six years old put your titty away for fucks sake :gonk:

Oh god, I was so creeped out by that for some reason. Possibly because every other comparable character is portrayed as so independent and resolute.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Given that Tywin is Warden of the East it wouldn't be that simple...plus, how are they going to prove that Jaime fathered the kids? And even if they did, Jaime claims trial by combat and kills whoever he has to fight (or if he's not allowed, GREGOR SMASH)

Paper Lion posted:

I wanna see more Bronn he's basically the best character in this book aside from Ned and Tyrion I hope he doesn't go away soon :(

You will not be disappointed.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Felix_Cat posted:

At the very least he would have kicked Cersei to the curb and the Lannister/Baratheon alliance would have been hosed. There's not a thing the Lannister could have done about that; demands to immediately collect the debt would be a neat way to get it declared null and void, and they don't have anywhere near the strength to take on just about every other kingdom around.

Again, how are they going to prove they're not his kids? There's no paternity testing here, hair colour isn't enough unless someone admits it. Ned/Jon Arryn "knew" that they weren't his kids but it was a gut feeling not based on real evidence.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
It'd be too hard to make it as a movie without missing out a lot of the fine background detail. At least as a TV series they can dedicate more time to the subtle stuff.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Karter705 posted:

Thank God I didn't read Sword of Truth 'til I was older.

"Would you like to come back to my rape tent?"

Anyway, in an attempt to talk about ACOK, will there be another thread for that or are we just going to carry on here with a new set of chapter outlines and a new title? Viconia?

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Viconia posted:

I said this in the Bad thread and I'll say this here: I always got, and still do get a vibe that Arya & Jon have a thing for each other and even now I'm convinced grrm is gona do an incest thing in the books. The way they talk about each other, it's family love but.. just that bit more. And it really annoys me because It's disgusting but I'm pretty sure it's not past grrm.

They're more like cousins if you consider the R+L thing (are they? family trees confuse me) so it's not Lannister-type bad but I still don't think they've got a thing for each other. I always got the feeling that Jon just liked her because she was the down to earth girl and he could relate to her.

Dendra fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 25, 2010

Dendra
May 3, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

the end of the chapter was again another twist that I didn't see coming.

I felt like this as well, from the first book you get the feeling that the only real "magic" that's going to feature is the dragons. Then for the prologue to turn out the way it does is quite the surprise.

e, for potential spoilers

Dendra
May 3, 2009
In my head I say Jame, but apparently it's pronounced the same as Jamie.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Guessing it's more along the lines of Joffrey is a huge cocksucker and probably bullied Tommen all the time.

Wouldn't that make Tommen the cocksucker?

With respect to Bran, I never really enjoyed his chapters much. Seemed like GRRM kept him around for the overall plot arc and his chapters usually weren't that exciting. A few exceptions, the invasion of winterfell was pretty cool

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Hey loosechanj, can we have a new thread? Pretty please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dendra
May 3, 2009

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

I'm honestly kindof excited for people posting spoilers but more the quantity of spoilers then actually reading them. The sight of huge black boxes of text in every discussion would indicate, at least, that poo poo Happens. I can wait a couple more weeks to find out about any particular plot developments but I can't wait to know if it's going to be a 1000 pages of disappointing nothing-in-particular-happening like Feast For Crows was.

People aren't going to be using spoiler tags, that's the problem

• Locked thread