Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Perhaps the other thread should be prepended with [SPOILERS!].

Not nearly accurate enough. [SPOILED!] might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Quid posted:

Started it today, I'm up to a Bran chapter. I have a question, Daenerys' interaction with her brother came off as a little creepy and the OP mentioned sex and rape. How much worse is it gonna get? If this many people like it I'm assuming it doesn't come off as too creepy, right?

Ah....Viserys/Daenerys or generally? Also are you on the chapter where Bran climbs things? (don't think that's a spoiler, but dunno)

also: could we come up with a way to refer to chapters other than by number (I can't remember numbers for the life of me) that doesn't spoil things

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2010

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
ah...I can only really think of one non-prologue one?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

Of course I mean Little Arryn. I thought that would be self-evident.

not quite, I know someone who finds said character really really creepy. She gets such a strong rapist vibe she can't see the awesome parts of engineering a two-decade plot to rape the daughter of the girl you were in love...with....ok, she has a point.

on topic:
Stannis is a man who would be king in a just world, ensuring that the lords actually fulfilled their obligations to their people. Course, that just means he's a more awesome Eddard.

The Catelyn chapter in question is why I think she gets a horrible rap. I mean, sure, she caused all this, but when you're the only person known to the reader who thinks that (spoilering this in case simply calling it out as a bad idea gives the game away) sending the only leverage over the Krakens right to their door might not be the most awesome of ideas, and who is witness to a vassal who thinks that it's better to drag out a war than to make sure that nobody else's sons die...it's kinda hard to not see her as the second most rational person in the North, other than the Blackfish (and the Boltons).

Also, obligatory "gently caress yeah, Tyrion!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 10, 2010

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
drat you Lost. Wasting our time for six seasons and stealing away the power of one of the best lines of the series :argh:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Oh, dammit. I hope the ebook versions haven't leaked or we're really done for.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bandano posted:

A friend was reading the books and told me that he would just skip the Sansa chapters because he hated her so much. While I also couldn't stand her, I managed to read 'em. From my stance, you're truly an oddball.

Not to mention I've got a raging love for the Starks besides Sansa. Though, I've no hate for the Southron people. Just Sansa.

How far have you gotten in the series? Won't go in any detail, but count me as another non-hater of Sansa. She gets a bad rap due to the first book.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

KingKapalone posted:

Before I venture into the Book Spoiler thread I'm wondering if there are spoilers that are ADWD related?

Yes. Don't go there until you've finished aDwD.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Right, spoilers for those who haven't through ASOS I think Catelyn is portrayed as mostly having stopped giving a gently caress after learning that Bran and Rickon were "killed". Up until then she was very reasonable. The Tyrion thing was a snap decision when she thought that Tyrion was an evil attempted murderer who would stop at nothing to support his family's ambitions. Him seeing her travelling incognito would, she feared, cause the Lannisters to go into overdrive and kill everybody. At least this way she would have a bargaining chip. So far as I remember it she didn't intend to put Tyrion to trial immediately, but Lysa was insane and Robert wanted to make the bad man fly.

She negotiated the crossing because she was the most expendable, and she got a decent price for it, considering that they were over a barrel. She warned Robb not to send Theon back to the Greyjoys, but Robb wouldn't listen. She didn't really have time to negotiate with Renly, and the North was dead set against bending the knee again so she didn't have much to bargain with. Even after returning and learning about the death of her sons, she had one moment of (incredible, unforgivable) idiocy, but was still only undone by her trust in a sacred tradition of hospitality, kept to by virtually everyone. You'll note that the Freys were completely scorned afterwards for violating said tradition.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 7, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Still on Catelyn being stupid, AGOT spoilers, though probably everyone here's read/seen it. Robb needed to cross immediately. As minimal a delay as possible. Frey could stonewall all he wanted because any siege would be broken by Twin Lannister's army within a week or two, and he wouldn't even suffer a loss of supplies due to the whole, y'know, being two forts connected by a bridge thing. the Starks had no real leverage.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Reckless, yes, but not without calculation. I find her far less stupid than Robb, who literally marries against his own interests for honor, while she makes her stupid decisions with the calculation that they're her best moves available.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Eyrie is Im-PREG-nable. And if you look at the map it's much, much faster to move to the Eyrie instead of Riverrun. Plus Tywin has no armies that can rush there like he does with Riverrun.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Not enough people in the Thread-Formerly-Known-As-The-Bad-Thread have read it for there to be an opinion based on anything except cynicism, but the reviews out so far are pretty overwhelmingly positive (not linking because they do have some spoilers in them).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Because Loosechanj killed the bad thread and it's now a more cynical, embittered version of this thread only with no spoiler tags and including Dance with Dragons.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Charlie Mopps posted:

Still dont see a reason to read the thread.

Not that there is, just saying that it's not the Bad Thread anymore.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
re: ACOK spoilers I'm just not seeing it. The North is pretty empty, but how could a Dragon old enough to be heating Winterfell for however many hundreds/thousands of years escape without being noticed by anybody other than people who hid in Winterfell for a few hours after the Boltons left?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
REALLY major fan speculation/spoiler for the entire series: Generally it's interpreted to mean that there's a secret about the Dragons in the crypts. Usually it's used to bolster the R+L=J theory because, well, a Dragon came from someone currently inside the crypts if Jon really is Rhaegar's son.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You're gonna be...kinda disappointed, especially if you think ASOS is slow going.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
ASOS and TV show: they'd better be playing it at least once or twice next season and the season after that so that the change in song hits really hard

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's because we waited five years for that, were promised ADWD the next year, and then waited another six.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
it's supposed to be ambiguous.

e: whoops. for some idiotic reason accidentally used italics instead of spoilers.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 10, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You'll miss quite a bit, actually. characters get their storylines continued because ADWD isn't fully coterminous with AFFC. It continues a bit beyond and AFFC characters pop back up and you'll have no idea why they're where they are.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^ here's what you need to know:

adwd Shakaz is Shavepate and awesome.

adwd gently caress everyone else

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Uh, you mean ACOK, zacpol, not AFFC.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
At Helldiver:

(all spoilers up until the end of ADWD)

Jon: Didn't you catch that wargs go into one of their creatures after they die? I'd say that it's likely Jon slips into Ghost, at least for a little bit. Also I'd spoiler the people you're talking about, as new people don't know anything about who appears in the books and who dies

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Hedrigall posted:

My favourite new character is Jon Connington. Does anyone else get the feeling he's gay and was in love with Rhaegar? I'm going off all the fond memories he has of Rhaegar during the chapter "The Griffin Reborn", as well as the fact that he never got married. Plus according to Reddit, GRRM said in some interview that one of the new POVs in the book is a gay character.

ADWD: He's the most obviously gay character in the books since we get his POV. Especially his ~*~*My Silver Prince~*~* bits. Even if GRRM always only hints at gay men -- while writing lesbian sex scenes wherever possible -- at least the vast majority of his gay men have been portrayed as people instead of stereotypes (that Qartheen merchant prince aside).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
ASOS wait, you think Sansa did it?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

BjornOfBorg posted:

tl;dr: Why didn't Bran, Jojen and Meera travel to Castle Black together with Sam and Gilly?

ASOS: They weren't going to the same place. Coldhands (warrior on a moose) was waiting for Bran, and couldn't cross the Wall himself. Hence the salvation of Sam/Gilly.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I finished ADWD on the bus on the way in today

Dany's last chapter was major rear end, what a waste of a chunk of the back of the book. I would've preferred to just have her still missing.

The way I found it better was by interpreting it as a spirit journey of sorts in which she realizes that what she's good at is murdering fools and conquering poo poo, not trying to rule things she doesn't understand. The end is her embracing this role

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
If you really want to know, the short answer* is yes.

*for Game of Thrones only, although this answer doesn't indicate anything one way or another about the subsequent novels.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm always surprised at the people who think otherwise, but yes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Wallrod posted:

I actually had to double check against my memory of the TV show, as there wasn't any explicit mention of Loras' preferences, and around the time of Sansa's marriage there was all the talk of heirs and lands. I had thought that Loras would've been a strong piece to play for securing lands etc., and being on the kingsguard would've made a convenient excuse, as well as giving him sufficient prestige

I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying. A strong piece[price?] to play for what? Plus: “Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I'll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.” is a pretty explicit statement of his preferences.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
That said, in the North at least it's not uncommon for the lord to gift his younger sons/brothers with castles of their own.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The problem is that those chapters are some of the best in the book.

As for ASOS: the chapter you're despairing at is the beginning of the half a book that everyone agrees is the best part of the series thus far.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

knox posted:

Was waiting for that next part of the second half of book 3 that I could sense people pointing at/hinting to without saying much, other than poo poo GOES DOWN. And yeah, from a character I hated in both the books and the show: "The only game."

How far have you gotten in book 3? Is that quote as far as you've gotten?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Elevator posted:

People have been speculating about that for awhile, but I guess he could be saving up some finale where all the kids sans Sansa warg out with their wolves or Bran becomes all the weirdwoods or some crazy balls-tripping poo poo. There's options, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what the hell is going on.

We do. Remember that (ADWD) the prologue stated both that Jon was a warg and that wargs inhabit their animals when they die. Assuming Jon died and he's not going to make a miraculous recovery, that's where he is right now.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Because you're outside the USA and they're weird like that. In the USA it was published as a single book.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I KNOW. In spoilers, please answer:

Which bit surprised you the most? How awesome is Littlefinger now that you know he's the reason for almost everything happening? Which part of Tyrion's final chapter punched you in the gut hardest? etc. etc.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
on ASOS I always found him murdering Shae to be more shocking than Tysha, but both are shocking. And yeah, I'm really hoping the show manages the transition of Littlefinger, creepy little weaselly poo poo to Littlefinger, loving AWESOME creepy little weaselly poo poo.

As for a character appearing in AFFC: Arya does appear, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Halloween Jack posted:

[spoiler
I don't think of him as "awesome" but I think it's really interesting that his primary motivation is a romantic obsession and that woman is now playing Eyes Without A Face. Maybe it'll destroy him when he finds out; maybe he'll shrug his shoulders and go on trying to possess Sansa.
[/spoiler]

Book 3, still: why is his primary motivation romantic obsession? How did pretty much any of his moves further that cause? I can see obsession with Sansa being a motive, but not obsession with Catelyn.

• Locked thread