Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

Episode Threads:
Season 1: 1 + 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24
Season 2: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23
Season 3: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 + 23
Season 4: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 + 14
Season 5: 1 + 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 + 17
Season 6: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

The most hotly debated thing about Lost right now is that a lot of questions weren't ever explicitly addressed. Some people think it was sloppy writing, and that we got teased with tantalizing mysteries that at times ended up getting dropped or not making sense. Others think even if that happened at times, that there's enough clues to figure most of these things out, and that other parts are meant to be ambiguous.

If you wanna hash out the leftover questions and what the answers seem to be let's do it here.

I'll try to update this post with a bunch of questions, answers to them, and if this thread gets long I'll try to link to the discussion.

This video is an example of a lot of questions some people think still need to be answered that we can talk about here.

Why did Juliet say 'it worked'?
As she was dying, she was able to see into the purgatory world, where the plane never crashed and they all were living different lives, and assumed the nuke worked in creating a new timeline. She also says 'it works' in that world when she helps Sawyer get the Apollo bar from the vending machine.

So what did the nuke do?
The nuke and/or Dharma's drilling into the electromagnetic pocket created The Incident. Whatever happened, happened, and they caused what they were trying to prevent. As a result of The Incident, the hatch was built, where entering the numbers safely manages the electromagnetic energy pocket, and turning the key is the more unknown "failsafe."

Who was in the other OUTRIGGER?
There was a deliberate decision that this wasn't worth answering on screen. However, the water bottles place the time travelers at some point after the Ajira flight landed. We know Widmore's people journeyed from the main island to Hydra island through some means, possibly using the outrigger boats. Therefore, it's reasonable to believe that during one of these trips, they opened fire on the time travelers.

Why did Jack let MIB do what he wanted with Desmond and the light?
Jack trusted that Desmond was brought to the island by Jacob for a reason. Ultimately, both he and MIB were right: Desmond was able to extinguish the light, which could help MIB escape by conventional means, but without the light, MIB had no special powers and was able to finally be killed. Jack's trust was rewarded, MIB was thwarted, and Jack was able to replace the "cork" and restore the light.

What was MIB's name?
"Samuel" was used in the casting call and early scripts, but it was eventually dropped, because thematically it was thought it worked better if he remained nameless.

What's the deal with all the Egyptian stuff?
We know the island has existed for a very long time. During that time, many have found it. Some, like Dharma, take a scientific approach. Others, like the Egyptians, built religious monuments, such as the Tawaret statue and the temple. This could have been done under an island guardian before Jacob, or during his reign. If Jacob/MIB came after the Egyptians, that probably means MIB is not the first smoke monster, as the Egyptians depicted him alongside the guardian of the afterlife in some of their engravings. This may have some basis since we know the Egyptians played some part in the stone work at the source and we've seen skeletons down there. Alternatively, the struggle between Jacob and MIB could have begun before the Egyptians arrived, as a date was never given.

Why wasn't character X in the church in the alt-purgatory?
Some characters like Michael were dead and stuck on the island as ghosts. Other characters were allowed to take part in the purgatory, but they were not ready to move on (see Ana Lucia and Ben, perhaps wishing to atone for past mistakes). For some, their island connections may not have been the most important in their lives, and they may be moving on with other people.

Who ran the Others: Ben or Dogen?
The Others were run by Ben, who was advised by Richard who had some contact with Jacob over the years. Ben took over leadership in the 90s when he had Widmore banished. During this time MIB began appearing to Ben, manipulating him into doing his bidding. Dogen lost his son and was brought to the island at some point, probably in the 90s. He was put in charge of the Temple, which appears to have been used as the Others home base prior to taking over Dharmaville. The Temple was protected by a special ring of ash, and Dharmaville was protected by sonar pylons. The Others seem to have accumulated a chunk of island lore: they understand the healing water imbued with light works and its side effects, they know some variation of the story of MIB's knife, and they are following some interpretation of the rule that MIB and Jacob cannot kill each other.

Why couldn't Ben kill Widmore?
Just as Jacob and MIB could not kill each other, and MIB could not directly kill candidates, one of the rules the Others followed was that they could not kill each other. Juliet was banished for killing a normal other. Alex was also killed by one of Widmore's men, shattering Ben's illusion that these rules held (at least for the Others). Furious, and sought revenge by attempting to kill Penny, and by the time Ben kills Widmore, Ben has completely abandoned Jacob and his rules, having already killed Jacob earlier.

Where did the Dharma food drop come from?
We saw Daniel testing a rocket from the freighter, and how it arrived 20 minutes after it should have. We later saw the dead doctor from the freighter arrive at the Island before he was killed by Keamy. So we see - there's some sort of time distortion field around the Island, and it's unpredictable. This explains why no airplane was seen at the time of the drop. The food drops also may have been made on a specific trajectory that put it on a very, very long time delay. Many drops could have been made as much as 20 years earlier. Additionally, in The Lost Experience, Alvar Hanso promises the food will be dropped in perpetuity.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DrVenkman posted:

Most frustrating of all is the Dharma initiative. They got to be such a big part of the show that it's going to hurt future viewings knowing it'll go loving nowhere. The bigger problem? Half the cast spend 3 YEARS with them and we don't learn a loving thing.
Well, Dharma actually are kind of important. They drilled into the electromagnetic pocket, which combined with the nuke caused the incident, then they built the hatch, which led to the Desmond not pushing the button and the plane crashing, and brought everyone to the island in the first place.

Kind of time paradoxy but I guess when Jacob touched them they were just fated to end up going there. Like with Claire, she was just kind of fated to go to the island as well, and the psychic was a tool to get her on that flight.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sucrose posted:

I don't think Jughead did anything. "The Incident" was caused by DHARMA drilling down into the pocket of energy, and it caused one last time-flash that sent everyone back to the present. Jughead didn't actually go off.
Yeah, that's a possibility, which is why I put and/or in the top of the thread. If this is the case, it also could be that the failsafe activated jughead in some way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Robotnik DDS posted:

It was never explained. Some of the theories include The Incident caused it, the Island doing a form of population control, and one of Jacob's rules gone horribly wrong. I think it might be retribution or a side effect of The Purge.
In my opinion it's always been like that, and that's why Mother killed the pregnant woman, so she could groom successors. Population control or if you want a reason for it I could see it just being something like men are made sterile by being so close to the light/magnetism.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Alright, I think the smoke monster was under the plug, and had the ability to look like people. When Jacob's brother is thrown down the cave, the light goes off, smoke monster leaves, the light goes on, and his dead body reappears somewhere. Later, after Desmond removes the cork, the light goes out, and the smoke monster is killable. It's only when Jack puts the cork back when the light returns, and then his body (though not dead) reappears in the same place Jacob's brother did.

It seems to me that Jacob's brother moved the cork, releasing the monster, then put it back, restoring the light, and shooting him off somewhere else on the island dead from his head wound, or the EM energy. The monster wants to leave the island (for some reason), it is only a coincidence that the MiB wanted to as well.
It's feasible but if MIB just died down there, then why did Mother say it's a "fate worse than death"? And also it seems coincidental they both so badly wanted the same thing (to leave the island).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Robotnik DDS posted:

Well the trouble didn't start until some unspecified time post Ethan's birth as far as we know. Plus, they specifically say the island gives you super powered sperm it just won't let women who conceive on island survive the third trimester.
Oops I guess my made up explanation doesn't work then, but do we know if Ethan was conceived on the island as well? The Dharma people went back and forth on subs a lot. I kind of don't remember how that went down.
edit: nm I read Lostpedia, she was with Horace so that was probably all on island. I guess it was the Incident that did it!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 26, 2010

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ashpanash posted:

Jack, Kate, Sayid, and Hurley were zapped from the Ajira flight while Sun, Ben, and Frank weren't. Ok, I sorta get it, although Kate wasn't a candidate at that point (even though as Jacob says, it's just a line of chalk) presumably for the same reason Sun wasn't? (Being a mother) But some things you have to let fly.
And Kate was a candidate at least at one time. Sun might never have been (there was only one Kwon).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ravel posted:

Ben didn't flash either. He was a candidate at some point.
We don't know that. I kind of doubt he was, with all his insecurities and "not special" issues. I do know there was a "Linus" in the cave but it could've been his dad. In fact, a few of the initial Dharma people are on the cave (probably because the Lost writers just wanted to include some names we'd seen) but I like to think that dudes being chosen by Jacob is how fate ended up having them recruited to the Dharma Initiative.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

dyzzy posted:

My hand-wavy rationalization is that the people who flashed back had a role to play in the past, and those who didn't, didn't. For all we know Jacob pulled his strings to send them back.
Yeah, i've considered this before when someone else asked me this. I said it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy where whatever happened, happened, and these folks did stuff in the past so when they returned to the island after it moved on its temporal axis or whatever they came in at a different time than the others.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One thing that's weird to me is 4 8 15 16 23 42 are the special Lost numbers and all, and Kate was NEVER one of those. She was #51, the only main character who wasn't one of the numbers.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Robotnik DDS posted:

No lots of people from oceanic weren't the numbers like Michael or Shannon for instance. Also half of the "numbered" candidates were dead when it was go time, anyway. It's important to see the final candidates not as the source of the numbers but just another manifestation of them.
Yeah, I edited that pretty fast while scanning the list of candidates from the wall. Still her exclusion stands out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I agree with that line of thought.

Also, whatever they were thinking, Jacob was introduced in season 2.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Woo, thanks! You must have just tried to read through the aftermath thread. :) I'm going to try and update the OP a bit with some other "answers." If anyone has any objections to the questions/explanations I add (so far mostly the ones posted by Teek) let me know so we can hone them.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 27, 2010

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MariusMS posted:

I think this is wrong and overthinking things. We know that some arm of the Dharma Initiative still exists and is sending people to man the Swan Station. Kelvin got recruited post Desert Storm, and was expecting a replacement. They probably just drop food occasionally for the poor suckers that get tricked into pushing a button to stop a mistake that the DI made 30 years prior.
Kelvin probably joined DHARMA in 1991, before the purge (1992), and was tucked away in the hatch when it went down and just stuck there ever since.

(1992 sounds late for the purge, but from Lostpedia, "The exact year the Purge occurred was not mentioned during Ben's flashback in 'The Man Behind the Curtain'; however, Horace Goodspeed told Locke in a dream that he had been dead for twelve years. Assuming Locke's dream was supposed to take place in 2004, it places the Purge in 1992. ('Cabin Fever')").

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ITILPrince posted:

Eloise Hawking says The Lamppost pendulum was created by a brilliant man. Tom Friendly describes Alvar Hanso as a brilliant man. Sounds credible enough for Lost - Hanso built the Lamppost pendulum. The DeGroots probably built The Lamppost station itself. That would also imply that the DeGroots were the scientists, and Hanso was the mystic.

Switching gears: When Desmond goes down the golden hole, there are two skeletons, right? One would be Mom's bones, and other MiB's bones. The smoke comes out the hole, and the body gets xeroxed and washes out the back. Desmond turns off the light and gets hauled out the same way. Jack didn't get xeroxed or turn into smoke because he was already inside when the light came back on, but he washed out to the same place we saw MiB. We never got to see Mom get smokified, but she sure knew it was a fate worse than death, so it probably happened. Also she can fill in a well and kill a village of dudes in just a few minutes. Only a smoke monster is so precise.

The theory at least leaves no loose ends, since two known or suspected smoke monsters = two sets of bones. Of course, that means MiB has three bodies - one bones, one in the cave, and one John Locke on the rocks. Which I'm going to invent and drink right now.
This is all pretty good stuff.

Somewhat related, how could anyone carve hieroglyphics on the cork? Seems like there'd have to have been an Egyptian Desmond or it was done by some kind of god. Or the protector/smoke can go down there, and an Egyptian protector/smoke did it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ozzie314 posted:

I was thinking this too. The only possible contradiction to this would be why couldn't Sayid kill the MIB. Sayid listened to Dogan and straight up stabbed MIB the second he appeared to Sayid before the MIB said anything to Sayid. But.... Sayid was "claimed" by the MIB and that may have been a rule that was set as to the "followers" or "candidates" or whatever of the MIB can't kill their "leader".
I don't interpret "not speak" literally, that sounds silly and probably it just means Jacob/MIB are persuasive. But I think just like MIB can't kill candidates, candidates can't kill MIB.

qa6 posted:

I mostly like to think that even among the earliest people to reach the island, there was some Jack/Dharma Initiative type who decided to dig at the source of pretty light, then went "oh poo poo" at the result and fixed it by stuffing a big rock in the ground.
This makes me :lol: and could indeed be a human source for the "cork."

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 27, 2010

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hardflip posted:

The circle of ash was broken a long time ago. That's why Jacob no longer used it, and MiB was able to get in.
Some people have theorized that the ash circle was to keep MIB trapped in the cabin. I don't buy it because the Others/Ben seemed to think Jacob was in there, and the Ajira folks who had orders and stuff definitely from Jacob also thought so. But the idea is interesting: instead of having to constantly protect yourself, someone could find where MIB was camping some time and put a big circle around it.

Speaking of the Ajira people, here's my theory on them: Jacob wants his replacements to have free will, and he doesn't want to talk to them or influence them directly, hence posting Richard as just an "advisor" to them. But just in case things went wrong, he recruited these people to use as the muscle if necessary. Since they're not candidates he probably even interacted with them (Ilana, Bram, etc.). I guess this isn't that original of a theory or anything since I just read MIB actually called them "Jacob's bodyguards" at one point.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2010

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Man the Lost finale was one of the best finales ever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mr. Boogie posted:

Or I guess it could be what I always thought when initially viewing these episodes, which is that the Island actually has a mind/spirit of its own, and that all the visions in the show are coming from the island itself.
I actually lean toward this. I don't think every vision is somehow related to Smokey, I think the island had powers. Like I forget that weird poo poo in the temple with the healing water they had or whatever, actually I don't really remember the show that well anymore, but I remember thinking that the island had mystical properties when all was said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nah they all died at different times and chilled in the sideways world until they were Ready to go hit up church together. Richard wasn't really part of their krew tho so his little meet up was with other people in some other world I guess. edit: Actually I think I misunderstood your question, when you say the premise you mean like the initial fake-out justification for it? In that case I don't remember.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread