Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

the balloon hoax posted:

Did Horace's wife like her cabin? :3:

Where else do you think Ethan was conceived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Most frustrating of all is the Dharma initiative. They got to be such a big part of the show that it's going to hurt future viewings knowing it'll go loving nowhere. The bigger problem? Half the cast spend 3 YEARS with them and we don't learn a loving thing.

We knew most of what we knew about them before we even saw Dharmaville in its prime. All the videos were about what they had been able to achieve. We don't know what kind of experiments they performed in the Swan - perhaps none and its sole purpose was to push the button because of The Incident.

What we learned in Season 5 was that they weren't unlike The Others (perhaps a bit more welcoming to outsiders): a group of secretive, paranoid people who probably had no idea what they were doing half time. And, possibly, their only true success may have been the Orchid station and that they were able to prove that time travel could exist and make polar bears disappear.

We were shown when things were being built rather than their use (which we already knew) and that the Survivors were involved in The Incident and Eloise knew most of everything because of Daniel's diary.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Matt Cruea posted:

Incredible.

I forgot Desmond noticed the timeflash when he was pressing the button alone. Good catch! Desmond had to have had his power before the hatch explosion (it's still probably related to the Source, however).

I had never noticed this before.

Slightly alternate theory: It's related to both The Source, but the Swan too and maybe Widmore's trial run.

We've already seen Desmond with prescient knowledge (Further Instructions, Flashes Before Your Eyes, etc.) - why is this now any different? Desmond recognizes it because he's basically Billy Pilgrim, his consciousness is linked to his entire life - The Swan implosion basically rippled through his entire consciousness - it still only happens once to Desmond, but he feels the effects before the cause - possibly since the day he was born.

He's has already seen the sky light up and I think because of his experiences he's always been linked to the Island (before and after them) and generally sees more than most ever would.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CPFortest posted:

4.Walkabout
5.The Shape of Things to Come
113.The Glass Ballerina

6. Live Together, Die Alone
10. Ab Aeterno

geeves fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Robotnik DDS posted:

I suppose the alt-timeline starting in LA and the flight is more "elegant", but to me, their memories from alt-life are exactly as real as what we saw them experience during the season, so from a practical standpoint there isn't a huge difference which is true. The whole of the alt itself could just be an implanted memory of sorts, if you know what I mean. It's not like we know if they only have so much make a universe juice to work with or something.

I like that too, that they kind of made up everything prior to Oceanic 815. But we don't really have any of them recall anything before Oceanic 815 after their life flashes before their eyes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

^^^^ I think you're grasping a bit about Radzinsky. He was pretty much paranoid and insane all season.

ApexAftermath posted:

I personally like the idea that that cut we are seeing when the hand pulls the tab is a flashforward. There is nothing in the video that explicitly tells us we are in the same universe when it cuts.

We're definitely in another universe. Just look at the way he's dressed. Or maybe it's 30 years in the future in 2040, kinda like how we watched Back to the Future with their self-drying clothes.

geeves fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

Watching the end of season 5 knowing that the "resurrected" John Locke is actually the smoke monster is loving fantastic. He played Ben for an absolute fool, and was a lying conning bastard consumed with getting the candidates together from the moment he took over Locke's body.

I just love that it all works so well both ways- they had us all completely fooled. No one suspected that Locke was the smoke monster originally, right? Go back and watch season 5 from episode 10 onward- there are so many hints and nods to Locke being the monster, it's incredible.

That and how over the last 3 or 4 episodes of Season 5 he just becomes more menacing, not just confident, when he announces his intention to kill Jacob.

I also like how Locke peaked through the MiB at times, like when Sawyer showed up at the well. The MiB just seemed at first so genuine when he said, "What are you doing here, James?" and just smiled like Locke used to in earlier seasons. Then completely turned it around after Sawyer spoke.

O'Quinn was just amazing straddling that line.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Android Blues posted:

No it doesn't. Time passes in a normal, linear fashion, Jack even talks about things happening "a couple of weeks ago". I think you're getting confused by the unloading of Christian's coffin in the finale - that plane isn't 815.

Time might still be in linear fashion, but it's relative to each of the characters.

So, for Jack and Locke, a week or two may have passed with all the stuff they 'experienced'.

However, for everyone else, like Sawyer and Sayid, it's more abbreviated. Maybe half the time or much less: Sayid's story happens over two maybe three days before he's arrested - are you saying he spends a week in local lockup before being sent off to county?

quote:

No. Rewatch the first Desmond flash sideways episode. He has to get Charlie ready for the gig that night. Loads of things then happen between then and the finale. Locke decides to get spinal surgery and he gets surgery later that day and he is walking by that evening!

Desmond also mentions that a day or two has passed since the hit and run. I have to rewatch What They Died For and his exact wording.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Android Blues posted:

He doesn't have to get him ready for the gig that night - he has to collect him and put him in a hotel, ready for the concert, which is currently in its preparatory stages.

But the characters themselves call this into question - everyone but Miles, including the supergenius understands-everything-about-time-travel quantum physicist, thinks that "what happened happened" isn't right during The Incident. The entire season five finale, in fact, is about proving it wrong. The whole Desmond/Charlie plot in season three is the same on a smaller scale - Charlie was meant to die in the Swan, but because Desmond managed to protect him from the timeline attempting to correct itself for long enough, he managed to do something major that did in fact constitute a drastic change in the future from what would have happened had Desmond not interfered.

Basically "what happened happened" isn't a steady rule, it's just Eloise's view, and it's challenged quite a lot throughout the show and never really proven right at all. Time course-corrects, but we're shown several times that if you try hard enough you can outwit it Final Destination style.

There's no strict timeframe between "Sayid shows up at Nadia's house" and "Sayid gets abducted by Keamy". We just see major events over the course of his stay, not every day he spent there - there's no reason to believe he spent one day arriving, the next day Omer gets attacked, the next day he gets picked up by the black van. Sawyer's the same way - between his showing up at Charlotte's door with his sad sunflower (:() and his arresting Desmond any amount of time could have passed. Probably about a week or two did, there's certainly nothing to suggest that what was a week for Locke was two days for Sun and Jin, or Sawyer's one hour was Jack's six hours. The entire thing is linear and universal up to the church when, again, things get metaphysical. Before that they're actually quite sane.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Not to mention that Some Like it Hoth is practically at the bottom of the list.

Yeah, I don't get that. It was pretty good episode for Miles. IGN's list is pretty terrible with some of their rankings in the lower half.

Tricia Tanaka is Dead one of the lowest episodes? That was just good fun and I think it's one of the most re-watchable episodes of the series.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Evangeline Lilly on Craig Ferguson. Holy poo poo she's even more hilarious than eating a sandwich on Kimmel. Shame she seems so under used. Though, I think she finally rocked in the last 3 episodes.

http://the-odi.blogspot.com/2010/06/evangeline-lilly-on-late-late-show-with.html

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

redshirt posted:

I mostly got over my Kate-Hate this season, and actually liked her at times, including the final. The only real negative I got on Kate in Season 6 was her lame stalking of grieving Sawyer - he just kept walking away from her, and she kept following, butting in.

But her final storyline (Seasons 5 and 6) were great - I really empathized with her mission to rescue Claire. Which she did. And she killed Smokey. She was quite the hero.

Same here. Didn't make it any less fun. What Kate Does was still a weak episode, but I think it had lots of potential - she's the one character that I think the writers really dropped the ball with - Lilly was a solid lead character when they allowed her to be. (Season 1, bits of 2 and lots of season 6). Otherwise she was a foil for the sake of being a foil.

I think she cared for Sawyer genuinely to go after him and perhaps (a bit) selfishly she hoped that he would help her find Claire.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fickle Fascination posted:

Terrible Bioject posts are all Lost's threads' constant.

Something different to discuss - perhaps BIOJECT can explain the motivations behind these and offer us insightful interpretations.

Lost Emmy Ballot Nominations:

quote:

The 2010 Emmy Awards ballots contain the following entries from LOST:
Outstanding Drama Series: LOST
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series: Matthew Fox
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series: Evangeline Lilly
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series: Naveen Andrews, Nestor Carbonell, Michael Emerson, Jeff Fahey, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim, Ken Leung, Terry O’Quinn
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series: Yunjin Kim, Emilie de Ravin, Zuleikha Robinson
Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series: Henry Ian Cusick (”Happily Ever After”), Alan Dale (”Happily Ever After”), Mark Pellegrino (”Across The Sea”)
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series: Allison Janney (”Across The Sea”), Elizabeth Mitchell (”The End”)
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: “The Substitute”, “Dr. Linus”, “Ab Aeterno”, “The End”
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series: Tucker Gates (”Ab Aeterno”), Jack Bender (”The End”)
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series: LOST
Outstanding Cinematography For A One Hour Series: Stephen St. John, Director of Photography (”Ab Aeterno”); John Bartley, Director of Photography (”The End”)
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Stephen Semel, Mark J. Goldman, Christopher Nelson, Henk Van Eeghan (”The End”)
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series: “The End”
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour): “The End”
Outstanding Art Direction For A Single-Camera Series: “Ab Aeterno”
Outstanding Costumes For A Series: “Ab Aeterno”
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series: Doreen Schultz Marchetti, Rita Troy, Patricia Gundlach, Joanne Miyata (”Ab Aeterno”)
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic): Steve LaPorte, Department Head Makeup Artist; Chantal Boom’la, Makeup Artist
Outstanding Music Composition For A Series: Michael Giacchino, LOST

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/06/full-list-of-lost-emmy-submissions.html

geeves fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 8, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

doctor iono posted:

Interesting that Ab Aeterno got so many nominations. It's an entertaining period piece, and a cool episode, but so separated from the rest of the series. The only more distant episode I can think of is the Jacob-MIB flashback, whatever the name was.

I thought Ab Aeterno really was one of the few episodes of Lost to tell nearly a complete story of one the characters outside of the traditional flashback (even though it raised questions in the narrative of Lost as a series because we still don't know if Richard ever spoke with Jacob again).

To me, it felt like it had the pacing of a movie for character development and could easily have been more of 90 minute episode that perhaps could have told a bit more of Alpert's story without being overwhelming.

Perhaps the extra 44 minutes could have a bit more of him and Isabelle before she was sick and / or of his time on the island and the initial greeting of the next batch of people as Jacob's emissary - but not necessarily any more talks with Jacob since it seems Richard was pretty much in the dark.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Akuma posted:

We do know that Richard spoke with Jacob, Where else would the lists come from?

Too slow I guess!

No to go all BIOJECT on here, but it could have been as vague as Jacob writing his list on a whiteboard for Richard to copy down :v:

quote:

Richard:

Need Sawyer, Jack, Kate, Hurley
To get them, get Walt. His dad yells his name alot - should be easy to figure out who Walt is.
Who has been stealing my Dharma ranch dressing? You know I love that stuff.

- J

I do think they did talk from time to time, but it wasn't anything more than simple instructions with vague implications and no context. Like when Richard said that Jacob would inform him when it was time, but now Jacob's dead - I think it was to Jack and Hurley before he went to try to Arzt himself.

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Red Crown posted:

What was Widmore's motivation for killing everyone? I was under the impression what he wanted was to return to the island and take back what Ben had taken from him, not that he was some revenge crazed monster. He also seemed to know that he would have to deal with the MIB, bringing the pylons and Desmond expressly for that purpose.

After Ben betrays Widmore to the MIB things return to normal with him and he has a fairly happy ending.

Widmore wanted to exploit the Island for his own gain, perhaps start the Widmore Initiative.

I think Ben knew he was beaten (especially when Locke said he was literally going to destroy the Island) and couldn't con Locke and he'd probably either end up remaining on the Island or dead so why not just see how things fall out for a change? But at the same time, Ben always has a plan.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

It's hard to believe people need more then that. It's not like the writers can REALLY explain how it REALLY works.

They just knew it would work because they were special :v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Red Crown posted:

They could probably land in Fiji, have everyone but Lapidus get off and then have Lapidus claim that he crash landed the plane and most everyone died of natural causes (starvation and horrifying illness) before he could get it working.

They were there just over a week

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Johnny B. Goode posted:

gently caress, really? So from early season 5 to the finale, it was only over a span of 7-10 days?

That's bizarre and it felt like a month at least.

Honestly if I had been through that I wouldn't give a gently caress about what anyone thought. "Yea it was a lot of crazy poo poo that I can't explain. Please leave me alone" would be my response to everything.

Yeah, Miles pretty much confirmed it in one of the last episodes. "I spent 3 years there 30 years ago, otherwise known as last week".

Each season became progressively shorter in amount of time that passes. It didn't help that it constantly shifted from day to night in a matter of a scene change.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gianthogweed posted:

Would it have hurt or helped the show if an episode like "Across The Sea" had aired earlier? I'm talking like season 1 early, not the first episode, mind you.

I feel like the major problem I have with this show isn't the unanswered questions, or the plot inconsistencies, but the fact that the whole idea of the mystical light and the cork keeping evil from escaping was revealed so late in the game. Now I know there were very subtle hints to the light in the earlier seasons (namely Locke seeing a golden light when he said he saw the heart of the island). But I feel it wasn't enough. I kind of wish the show hinted at it a little more overtly early on. Or showed a completely out of place episode like "Across the Sea" to introduce us to this mythology. It's placement so late in the series just makes it feel tacked on, like a star wars prequel-like retcon.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel like the show would have been stronger if the mythology was hinted at earlier on. If it truly was their plan all along, it would have been nice to get more hints to it.

(just an upfront note - I didn't hate Across the Sea, but perhaps would have liked it to have been more in depth, showing Jacob and MiB after he became the Smoke Monster; or perhaps happen over an early episode of season 6 and then a later one and maybe with normal flashbacks from Jacob's and MiB's PoV - but I digress, I'm not the story teller)

Across the Sea would have been terrible at any point in time for those that have a problem with it, because we would have been "what the gently caress was up with that - why aren't they answering what the Light is" for the next 5 seasons. As for retcon - one could argue that for a lot of things in the series if he wants to nitpick at things just because he's not getting the story he think he deserves. Save the term retcon for when it seriously fucks up something previously thought or coming up with some wild story about someone coming back to life or who "wasn't really dead, just paralyzed by a spider".

We learned that the Swan was keeping a massive amount of energy at bay in Season 2 and then learned about the Orchid in season 4 and that it was similar. And now people want to cry retcon in season 6 because... why? Because it's left open to interpretation or that it didn't give the answers one wanted?

That said, Across the Sea wasn't about The Light or answering questions - it was about Jacob and MiB - just as the whole show was always about the characters and not necessarily about what The Island was. Across the Sea set up the final two episodes and established what the MiB's goal was.

As for what they knew what they were doing from day 1. It's been long admitted that they had themes introduced in season 1 and the hiatus between season 1 and 2, they established most of everything else and once they set an end date in season 3 they were able to come up with a conclusion and how everything they had thought of would pan out. This has been well documented hundreds of times in this and previous Lost threads as well as other sites.

geeves fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 17, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The title of the 11 minute Hurley and Ben short is The New Man in Charge - and I feel stupid for hiding this, but I know someone will bitch :v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

It's 11 minutes? I could've sworn that it was 19. This makes me sad. :(

I think there is ~20 minutes overall, stuff with Walt, etc.

quote:

I don't care if Lindelof and Cuse explicitly refute it, I will always believe that Dave was the real ghost of Libby's husband.

I'm fine with this while thinking because he was trying to kill Hurley so he wouldn't get with Libby

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CheshireCat posted:

Richard said that saving Ben's life at the Temple would make him forget what happened and make him one of them.

And the time travelers never tell them when they are in 1954 or 1974 when they actually arrived on the Island. The only one who knows this is Eloise and we don't know what she shares with the rest of the Others - probably thinking it best to keep quiet about it and leave.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

I think it's funny that the integrity of the timeline required Eloise to shop around at probably over a dozen stores to find the EXACT notebook that she got in '77. She was probably like "poo poo, the stitching looks the same but what if I'm wrong and destroy the universe?"

Most notebooks - especially really nice journals like that probably have company information and "copyright" dates. probably not too difficult to track down.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

But you need the exact notebook. If a stitch is different, the entire fabric of the universe will collapse in on itself, which isn't pleasant to experience. No differences can be allowed.

This is possible too. What if she just walked into a store, blindfolded herself, and said "Okay, whatever notebook I pick up first is the notebook I am writing the message on, putting in the box, and giving to Daniel." And the universe will have no choice but to put the notebook on the right shelf.

Let's just make it easy and say that it was a limited edition and had a serial number of some sort since it used some rare wood from an endangered tree from the Amazon - black market journal-type stuff.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yup. The notebook exists twice at the same time, one of them being a future version of itself.

I hope the journals don't see each other by accident.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

If you mean there's no scene selection, yeah that's kinda lame. But I'm pretty sure you can choose one episode to watch at a time, and 99% of tv dvd's I've bought default to 'Play All'.

X-Files DVDs don't do this and it drives me crazy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

In the Constant, he does not at all remember what he did during that time period. In FBYE, he remembers what he did, like a memory, and tried to alter it. Where have we seen that before? Purgatory.

It was his 1996 conscious jumping to 2004 - that's why he couldn't remember - he hadn't done anything yet.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CheshireCat posted:

It's 12 minutes of Hurley manipulating people to the island to bring him Hot Pockets.

Only if it's a 12 minute musical number

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mogomra posted:

Wait. Where the gently caress is "razzle-dazzle?"

Never mind that, where the gently caress is The Cobra?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Redshift, now work in what happens in Jughead. That's the only other piece of Desmond missing.

I've given it a lot of thought and I'm for either or. But if FBYE is purgatory and if there is only one timeline for everyone - which includes the sideways, it falls apart for me.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Frensa - yeah pretty much.

Hipster - like I said, I am for either or. It is just the matter of what rules you want to play by. Whatever happened happened but Desmond is ultimately special (leading to The Constant and Jughead) or that purgatory is what you make of it. For me it depends on the phase of the moon. There may be more than two or three sides to this question as well. That's what I like about it.

I have a few ideas, but I'm typing from a borrowed iPad to see If I like it or not and my fingers can't keep up.

That said, this is one of the few cases that I'm really happy not to have a concrete view of things all the time and that I'd be happy to later contradict myself.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

the truth posted:

gently caress that ending. I never let Lost stuff bother me that much, but what will Walt's job be? Any ideas? Summoning things/people?

edit: I'm really glad they didn't put this segment in the show, it would have ruined the finale.

Ben made that pretty clear - help his father move on.

I'm kinda bummed that half of it was wasted on a Dharma video - was hoping to see a little bit more of the Island. But overall a nice info dump

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

No I get both of those things, but like, they had this whole operation on this other island to train polar bears to move a wheel. Like honestly?

I just don't see why a raised platform below the wheel and a chimpanzee, the scientist's best friend, couldn't have been more efficient. Or a pulley system? It's like...they found this amazing artifact in this cold environment and said "Oh gently caress we're gonna have to train, acclimate and transfer a polar bear down there." It's comical.

They probably said that after the first person turned the wheel and vanished.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

Here is a link to the review.

There's nothing more infuriating that digging around a DVD menu in search of hidden features.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Aventine posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress really. People were expecting too much from a 12 minute epilogue. Its more of a tipping the hat to the fans rather than a final chapter.

I had actually hoped for some fun and hilarious banter between Hurley and Ben.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

why Libby had the sailboat.

You're kidding... right?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Merauder posted:

Definitely her husband's boat. She tells the story to Desmond in a coffee shop after she buys his drink for him. The husband had died or something if I recall, and so she donates it to Des for him to attempt his race around the world.

Thank you! :allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

I really hope it gets the Emmy. I am still up in the air re: my feelings on the last season but I think they deserve it.

I really think Emerson deserves it for Dr. Linus. Hands down in the top 3 episodes of the last season for me.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone shed some light on what the commentary for "Beyond the Sea" reveals?

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Across_the_Sea_audio_commentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

qa6 posted:

That confused me the first time the episode aired. If the Man in Black wanted Richard to trust him, why on Earth did he admit to being the smoke just days after it appeared to kill the guy's wife?

I just assume the plan was half-assed because he was making it up as he went along.

He said he tried to save his wife, but the Devil got to her first.

• Locked thread