Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Karma Comedian posted:

Hey friends I just wanted to drop buy to say I appreciate those of you and your peers who understands when I call in and say "hey, I've got X problem, I've done Y thing, and I need Z solution" knows how to get me Z without asking if I've unplugged it. That includes field technicians, too. Y'all are the real heroes.

In my experience only about 1/5 of people who thought they should just get Z had actually correctly troubleshot the issue. Usually that 1 also isn't the one getting huffy that you insist that you have to actually do a bit of troubleshooting the issue. Also super common that someone would tell me they had already power cycled when I asked them to even though I could see the uptime on the device proved it was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, it sounds stupid to be asked “Have you tried a reboot or powered it off and back on?” but many people who consider themselves “tech savvy” don’t even try it because it couldn’t possibly be the solution. And I’ve seen it be the solution more times than I’d like to think about.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
You may have actually rebooted it before calling in, or thought you've found the root cause but 95% of people calling in are just straight up lying so you have to be treated like the lowest common denominator.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

less than three posted:

I'd take call centre over retail any day.

At least you don't need good shoes for call center work. But they both suck in many ways, some of them overlapping.

Speaking of hiring (some of them were call center jobs, since SIP started in mid-March we've on-boarded 700 people remotely.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So that statement doesn't apply to y'all three hth

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
What headsets do you get to use? We're only allowed to use VXI Passports. They're kinda crumby.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My job provided a very nice Jabra headset which worked poorly, and then it turned out that the software doesn't like headsets which use the jack and wants USB headsets instead (a thing I have never heard of, but okay) and sent me a USB headset that feels absurdly fragile and pulls my hair, so I ordered a $40 "gamer" USB headset off Amazon which is way better and I just use that. Nobody's complained yet.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

Pope Guilty posted:

My job provided a very nice Jabra headset which worked poorly, and then it turned out that the software doesn't like headsets which use the jack and wants USB headsets instead (a thing I have never heard of, but okay) and sent me a USB headset that feels absurdly fragile and pulls my hair, so I ordered a $40 "gamer" USB headset off Amazon which is way better and I just use that. Nobody's complained yet.

When the idea was broached earlier we were told we have to use the vxi passports because they have to be a "specific voltage" which is horse poo poo obviously. Since we've gone to wfh I suspect some are using more comfortable consumer models.
I remember 2 years ago I was asked to coach a struggling coworker and after sitting with her for a while I realized she was wearing her headset with no foam. Plastic on skin. I told her they had more foamies at the front desk but she said she liked it better this way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Spooky Chris posted:

When the idea was broached earlier we were told we have to use the vxi passports because they have to be a "specific voltage" which is horse poo poo obviously. Since we've gone to wfh I suspect some are using more comfortable consumer models.
I remember 2 years ago I was asked to coach a struggling coworker and after sitting with her for a while I realized she was wearing her headset with no foam. Plastic on skin. I told her they had more foamies at the front desk but she said she liked it better this way.

That sounds really unpleasant!

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Are you going to work on New Years? I'm scheduled off for Eve but I'm on for Day. I hope all the mush mouths calling lately are too hung over to talk.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My place had us log in Christmas morning but quickly sent us home because it's loving Christmas and nobody's calling; I'm off NYE but New Year's Day will likely be a repeat of Christmas.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Xmas day for us was almost normal rate of calls. I heard Eve was slow-ish. I don't think we've had a real slow day since June.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I remember at my old job I worked Thanksgiving one time and there were only about 1/10 the amount of calls from usual, but the calls we DID get were 100x worse somehow

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Labor Day 2009 at AT&T was pretty cool.Think I did 3 calls in an 8 hour day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom works from home right now (I hope all call center people do) and her work headset is this POS with a super short cord. Would pretty much any headset, USB powered and cordless, work for her to get a little mobility when otherwise tethered to the computer?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

if you're going to buy one anyway, just get wireless

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom works from home right now (I hope all call center people do) and her work headset is this POS with a super short cord. Would pretty much any headset, USB powered and cordless, work for her to get a little mobility when otherwise tethered to the computer?

Some softphone setups require specific headsets, but most will work just fine. Grab the cheapest POS one from your local dollar store equivalent and try. If that works, get a better one.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCtaXVnLnWA

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I realize this is basically a dead thread at this point, but I wanted to see if I could get any goon recommendations about my headset issues. My work is cool enough that I can use whatever headset I want, and I had a Yealink UH36 kicking around anyway, so I just use that. It's usually really comfy and I an hear well and have zero issues with it, but I recently got new glasses that apparently have thicker arms than normal and now my ear is getting pinched between them and the headset and after about 2-3 hours it hurts enough to bother me. I've been wearing my contacts on days I work, but I'd love to be able to just throw on my glasses and go to be honest. Anyone have any good recommendations for replacement ear pads and/or headsets that don't pinch? For replacement headsets, I'd want to keep one ear open because I'm regularly training people/answering questions and I hate having to take off my headset every couple of minutes. Also, I prefer wireless unless the wired ones have LONG battery life. I work 10 hour shifts and can't take it off to charge it mid-shift on the reg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I realize this is basically a dead thread at this point, but I wanted to see if I could get any goon recommendations about my headset issues. My work is cool enough that I can use whatever headset I want, and I had a Yealink UH36 kicking around anyway, so I just use that. It's usually really comfy and I an hear well and have zero issues with it, but I recently got new glasses that apparently have thicker arms than normal and now my ear is getting pinched between them and the headset and after about 2-3 hours it hurts enough to bother me. I've been wearing my contacts on days I work, but I'd love to be able to just throw on my glasses and go to be honest. Anyone have any good recommendations for replacement ear pads and/or headsets that don't pinch? For replacement headsets, I'd want to keep one ear open because I'm regularly training people/answering questions and I hate having to take off my headset every couple of minutes. Also, I prefer wireless unless the wired ones have LONG battery life. I work 10 hour shifts and can't take it off to charge it mid-shift on the reg.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09WRLHM28?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I use this dude daily and it’s pretty good. I would bet it is not like, the super best in sound quality , but works fine enough, and it’s light weight and has good battery life. Also, it’s only like $60 with the Amazon coupon.