Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I worked for a terrible Canadian cellular company for almost 3 years. Did front line CS as well as help desk and escalations.

Irrational and angry customers, Downright gently caress-you-customer policies, Dumb as bricks outsourced and first party CSRs, I did it all.

It was okay though. Paid well and I wore an iPod to keep me sane. (They weren't allowed, but I was an awesome employee so I got away with it.)

It was refreshing to leave though. Might even say the day just got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BigDave posted:

I just finished a interview at the Bureau of Collection Recovery call center in Eden Prairie. It's collections work, but it's $11.00 and 40 a week, so it would get me out of retail. Any advice for a first-timer?

Prepare for sob stories, angry people, and people who are generally not fun to talk to.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

man thats gross posted:

CALL CENTRE LIFE IS OVER! FREEDOM 28! WOOOOOOOO!!!

I am officially the gently caress out of here. Goodbye cruel customers; I'm going corporate!

Hooray! You can check into this thread as soon as possible. :haw:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ghostnuke posted:

It doesn't. I worked for a cable provider and got all of my internet/phone/cable tv for free and had all the premium channels and on demand/pay per view for free too. I still hated the gently caress out of every day.

At least you got that. I worked for a quad-service telco and only got my cell phone plan free. 35% off TV/Phone/Internet.

Even with the discount it wasn't worth switching to them for anything else.

edit: Pay and benefits were excellent for call centre CS though, so despite the bullshit the job threw at you sometimes it was doable.

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lord Windy posted:

But at the induction today, they were trying to explain just who we were working for. We don't work for IBM, we work for their hiring agency Manpower, but if anyone asks we work for IBM. If a customer asks, we work for Apple as an Applecare consultant and there is hell to pay if we don't lie to them.

How all outsourced call centres work, really.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

gomababe posted:

Dang, it's been ages since I posted in here and I don't even have any stories to share right now :(. I do, however, have a quick question: Des anyone havw a favourite stress thoy they like to keep on hand to bash about so they don't lose it with the customers? I've had a few, but my latest one is starting to fall apart at the moment and I need something a little sturdier now the new tax year's just started.

iPod.

I started wearing an earbud in one ear, opposite my headset. Never heard anything about it. Eventually I upgraded to earbuds in both, placing the headset over it. Never heard a thing about it. :iiam:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chicken Doodle posted:

Hello call centre peons! I am going to join your ranks as the newest member of a team working for a bank credit card line (inbound calls only). I look forward to sharing your pain and the 3x the annual pay I get now working retail. :D

(Thanks ratbert - I better get reading this thread.)

Do they have part-time available? :xd:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I personally lost my job due to violating the company policy on 'forums/blogging' about them.

I didn't really know there was a policy against it, but whatever.

Lesson is always be aware if your workplace has policies about such things.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd say 60k is an acceptable amount of compensation to deal with the poo poo that entails home service and call centre, especially if you're in tier 2 and higher.

Maybe the perception has moved since most call centres are a poo poo hole environment where you wake up wanting to die in order to earn your 20k/year but that's an issue on its own.

If the world was really like that, I'm sure customer service would be much better across the board.

This can also apply to retail service.

When I left my call centre after 3 years, I was making $40k per year plus full benefits. 2nd tier work at a first party wireless carrier centre.

Everyone at my location got paid more because cost of living here is high though. Had I been at any of the other company call centres I would have been making $35k.

Even $40k was too low for the poo poo I had to put up with sometimes, and that's high for call centres.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 9, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To my surprise clients never seemed to have an issue with me going "okay, mind if I go grab a coffee while we wait for your device to restart?"

Only takes me about 90 seconds and they always say yes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

fret logic posted:

Notes are just awesome, I like going back through notes and seeing that the customer is just as much a dick to everyone else as they are to me.

Yeah, this is great.

"cx says he's going to drive down and shoot us. offered GPS nav. cx declined."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Confounding Factor posted:

Has it been a trend that call centers slide down into what indescribably feels like a prison? I remember my call center job it was great, relaxed and alot of freedom. We were happy, until they

Yep, it certainly happened in my first-party telecom call centre. It was a great job, then they slowly started taking away our ability to make judgement decisions, added new terrible metrics and generally slid downhill. But I guess it looks good on the balance sheet? :iiam:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It should be up to the employee to gauge the tone of conversation and use first names or more formal titles. Starbucks has started to push for getting your first name when you order and I don't really like it. When I was in a call centre they were thinking about forcing first names, but decided not to. (Or maybe they did I don't even remember. If they did it didn't last.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The BBC has a new reality TV show about a call centre in Swansea. I've never seen management so supporting and interactive, also never this ZANY and CRAZY! Wow a call centre job looks like it'd be so fun and rewarding!

e: literally called Call Centre

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FWC posted:

How can I create a new thread for this, Please help...

Legal advice:

Hey,
I am dealing with a unique situation where I may need a lawyer. Please give me some pointers. I was working at an IT firm as a service desk agent when my cousin calls and offers me a job in a nearby town. I talk about the options for a while before seeing that he doesn't want me to work for any other company. I am going through some changes at work and ask him if the position is open for an interview. He agrees and asks me to come down. After I arrive he changes the living arrangements with our colleagues. He changes from a mortgage to a rental and the friend group changes from older company engineers to some young twinks that work in the company NOC. I feel a little strange living with homosexual strangers, so I send my cousin a text saying "Noo gays". He immediately shows it to his gay colleagues who decide for him that they should cancel the job opening for me. I have already submitted my two week notice informally and feel like I need to come down and see whats going on. I am not clear why my cousin (who has a girlfriend) is putting so much importance on gays). Do you think I should file a law suite for cancelling a job opening over a personal living arrangement? Please advise. :)

Sorry to hear you were a victim of the GAY AGENDA.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sub Rosa posted:

You weren't overcharged. You were charged the amount you agreed to pay, and you paid it. That the advertised rate for the service was reduced doesn't mean they lowered the price for your service, as the price for your service was the price you had previously agreed upon. That agreed upon rate only changed when you called in and had your rate adjusted. You are not owed a refund for the time before then. You weren't overcharged.

Yeah agreeing with this. Services have never worked as "If I sign up in January at $100/month and in June they start offering a new plan at $90/mo, I must be automatically switched to the new, lower rate plan. Compensate me for these damages!"

Having worked for years in telecom, sometimes the prices are just lowered for competitive reasons, but more frequently they make changes to the fine print. (Slightly cheaper, but increases overage rates, removes features that were previously included, etc.)

Either way I don't think you're entitled to be automatically switched to the new cheaper rate plan. It sucks, but that's Just How Things Are.

Even in other sectors, you're not protected from price decreases outside a short time frame (of which you could get the same time frame from your ISP.) You have no case if a car you leased becomes $100/mo cheaper a few months later. You don't get a difference refund if something you bought in a store goes on sale a few months later on clearance.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 27, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

There was a way you could cut off calls without it being obvious at my place so most people used it occasionally.

We could do this by pulling apart the connector where the mute switch connects to the headset.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Holyshoot posted:

Speaking of queue, that was one thing that always baffled me. Were the employees that cared about if the queue was high or not and felt bad taking breaks or tried to be quicker about their job to help bring it down. Like normal "taking phone" call employees. Why do you give a gently caress unless your management.

Pretty much. Where I worked you couldn't see how many calls in queue. So unless you knew it was dead because there's a wait between calls, you had no idea how many more calls to come. From a management perspective I imagine it prevented both trying to rush through and empty the queue (so you could then relax between calls) and getting demotivated because you see that there's 1000 people waiting with an average wait time of 40 minutes, so they're gonna be angry as soon as the call starts.

Sometimes you get a feel for what shifts are better than others. I spent most of my time working the weekday 1-9pm shift, because the call volumes fell off a cliff at 6pm every night. (On the west coast servicing everyone, with a local close time of 9PM. Most of our customers were in EST, so by 6pm PST they couldn't call in and you went from back to back calls (or short pause between) to 5 minutes between calls, sometimes like 30 on particularly dead nights.)

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Highbrow Slick posted:

For some places that record calls for QA they can still hear what the rep says while on mute, whereas the mic is off when hold is used.

Our place was the opposite. We had physical mute switches between the headset and phone. They could listen to us on hold, nothing on mute. The switches weren't provided (at least when I started) so they were these coveted things that older employees gave to newer ones on leaving.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd take call centre over retail any day.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah not discounting they both suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
You may have actually rebooted it before calling in, or thought you've found the root cause but 95% of people calling in are just straight up lying so you have to be treated like the lowest common denominator.