Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yup. I've seen records of calls that were basically 5 apathetic weasels before me punting a call as much as they can. The kicker? One of the guys notorious (Or at least - I figured out he was because he would transfer a call because he could) for it got prizes for such low call times. Or they lie to get someone to shut up. Or make promises that will never happen and guess who catches it next. Yeah. Or when they refuse to use the translator service and punt people with accents. Then by the time I get them, I have an angry, abused and frustrated caller. I swear I get the most Spanish/non-english calls just because I'm the one person who doesn't hang up on them. Oh - and the translator service shows up as an outgoing call so whenever I use it, I invariably get an angry supervisor going WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THAT OUTBOUND CALL?? Uh, helping a non-English caller? Oh.

Or they're outright incompetent. Like Pervoman, the toxic creep who is like 60+ and can't type at all (He SLAMS the keyboard with his hands, has gotten lectures on personal hygiene, been warned not to leer at co-workers and flirts with anyone who looks at him. I'm waiting for my poster from Amazon so I can block him off too). Yes, we even have convicted child molesters. And on top of that, we have people coming in stoned, drunk or like the case of Furious Skank, whiny and generally rude.

Even more fun is when thanks to their incompetence or general apathy the caller's computer/license/whatever is damaged or destroyed. We had one guy erase a woman's hard drive out of spite. Yes, she was stupid, annoying, entitled and angry - but be the bigger person. And y'know, don't erase all the pictures she ever had of her family. Or a technician steal a woman's modem because she only spoke Mandarin Chinese. Oh, I could go on.

Now, the call centre has mold something fierce, is notorious for smokers all over and periodically has fires break out. I don't even get a desk. I have a little station with transparent walls. We can't eat at our desks anymore since people would bury wrappers and leave trash there.

On top of that, let's add in that yes - most customers will treat you like an animal or a machine. If someone talked to someone in person like they do us? They'd get thrown out of the store or arrested. But since it's on the phone or a chat, it's okay to abuse us I guess. I realize some of us are lying, apathetic weasels but those of us - ESPECIALLY - those of us in an outsourced call centre really do have little power or tools. :/

But please. Be kind to the phone monkeys. Not all of us are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I hate that they put our chat link on the front page of the site. This is clearly the caller/chatter's queue to use us as google for every drat thing ever. Oh, and instead of /fixing/ the applications, they revamp it with shiny graphics! Yay!

I also wish people would read. Please print this page as it is your confirmation/temporary driver's license means just that. It is not my fault, nor the DMV's that you'll have to wait because you couldn't be assed to copy+paste the text, save the page or print out a screenshot. You should be grateful the DMV even bothers to bail you out by e-mailing you a temporary license. But gratitude is apparently beyond some yokels. Oh, and they even list having a printer ready as a necessary step.

I hate that people act like I'm holding out on them and if they give me a sob story/yell at me I'll do something extra for them! Maybe. If it's possible and you're super awesome? /Maybe/. But if you spend 20 minutes yelling at me, the government, and God knows what other pent up rage your infantile mind can pull up - do you really think I want to go the extra mile for you and risk supervisorly wrath? No. Not really. Unless there's extenuating circumstances, I gotta stick to my call protocol ... things.

I get it. You hate brown people, Mr. Caller. Personally? I don't care what color someone's skin is. That cop did his job and you're just gonna have to suck it up instead of trying to have your buddy cheat the breathalyzer on your car. Yes, that is illegal and they do record our calls. And yes, I will get my supervisor if you keep whining at me. I'm pretty sure you getting enough DWI/DUIs has nothing to do with that fact you're white and becoming a minority. Suck it up buttercup, you broke the law. Repeatedly.

It boggles me as to how many godawful drivers call in who have no regard for the fact they could /kill people/ in a heartbeat; like the girl who wanted to know how many times she could take driver's ed and gleefully responding 'Oh I'll just take it till I pass'. Do you even care you're pointing a 2000lb hunk of steel hurtling at at least 35mph at people? Or the nonstop drunk drivers who seem confused that people are offended by this behavior? Or the teenagers who get tickets on graduated licenses then whine about the delay? Or the ones who get ticket after ticket for speeding, running red lights, etc.? You could /kill people/. It only takes a moment. But no. They don't care. They gotta have. And it makes me genuinely ill. Or the ones who rant about illegal immigrants getting driver's licenses while having several holds on their own license. To these people, it's mere inconvenience.

I'm burning out fast and our workload keeps getting worse. :( I put my two weeks' notice in mid-July or early August. Give me the strength not to shiv the next person who asks in a petulant tone whyyyyyy can't they have their driver's records noooooooooooooooow. They cut our lunch spots, increased call volume, really won't let you use vacation time and - gah, I don't know.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 30, 2010

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Wow, another woman threw you under the bus? I thought you all were supposed to stick together, girl power and all that.

Nope. It's surprisingly common. I had one woman go 'can you transfer me to a tech? I want my husband to do this, but he can't talk to other women'. Buh. because I totally want to steal your husband. Lemme tell ya. Or even just 'I want a male tech please'. >:(

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately almost all the guys who supported the ISP I took's antivirus were all from India and inevitably I'd get 'I don't want a brown person/can't understand 'em/GIVE ME A PERSON NOT A GUY FROM INDIA'. Which is hilarious given the occurrence of mush-mouthed Louisiana accents, Alabamans and other 'flavors' of the south. Dude from India is just trying to do his job so he can pay his bills. He's not out to steal your jobs. He wants to /eat/.

Or people who think it's awesome to complain about illegal immigrants (One guy was like omfg I have to go IN to the DPS office to get my license while some Mexican can get his online?? Well, sir, if that fellow has all his log in info, yes, yes he can. Deal with it) because apparently they magically get welfare, SSNs, free stuff and wear little top hats while eating free burritos.

It goes both ways though, and I hate it when a caller yells ESPANOL loudly into the phone. Y'know, there is a press 2 for Spanish option... Not even a hello, or 'Do you speak spanish/translator please?' just ESPANOL! I'm now half deaf and have to explain to the interpreter that no, I don't know what you want - but you want it now and loudly. Indoor voices please...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Well, I put in my two weeks' notice. The supervisor's been pretty awful to me ever since. But oh well. I suddenly am filled with glee that I won't have to listen to someone lie to me about why they can't be assed to print their own receipt, so this is all somehow my fault.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Harminoff posted:

drat really? We actually have/had team leads that just watch for calls over 7 minutes, and then run to that agent to try and assist them to end the call. Of course we are 30 deep in queue all day though.

I also get paid $1.35 per call, so like hell am I going to sit on each call for an extra five minutes for no reason at all.

Ditto. They /really/ get on us for long calls.

And yeah, I'm being encouraged to do at least one nutty thing my last day. I'll see what hand fate deals me that day*

*Or how disgruntled the callers/managers are. I had another Tea Party member rant to me today. Oh boy. Yes, I know those illegal immigrants are getting mad money while you toil...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

My last day is Friday, although my manager apparently scheduled me beyond this and has been an utter pain. After I called in sick, I got the 'OMG UR AT HOME PLAYING STARCRAFT II YOU FAKER' treatment.

Would you recommend against working in a call center? Yes, if you have other options that pay the same. - Agreeing with this. Don't get me wrong - it's a steady job, and there will always be spots and hours, but ... at what cost to your SOUL?

Do I have a fair chance of making $14 an hour? $16? As level one support for an ISP, no. - This too. Unless you get into one of the VERY few management slots, I've found you tend to make 8-11 dollars an hour here.

How boring does it get? Depends on how slow it is and how good you are at getting around the filter. It's not so bad though, I tend to bring a book or my PSP just in case it's mega slow. Just be aware that some employers install key loggers or monitor what sites you go to and CAN generally fire you if you post something like 'our customers suck' on facebook.

How rampant is the abuse from customers? Pretty drat rampant. Every now and then I get a nice customer but the vast majority are angry, bitter and extremely stupid people. Very, very stupid. - Yup. Quoting this too. Once in awhile I get an awesome old person or someone who just has a simple question but usually I get 'I've done something stupid and it's YOUR fault and I want you to fix it RIGHT NOW without me doing anything arghleblarghleRAGE'. I've heard racists, misogynists and almost everything from tea party lines to AH HATE THE GUBBERMINT WHERE'S MY INTERNET/LICENSE. People are cruel, entitled and unfortunately ... have you ever watched a war movie? Where the first wave of guys sent out against the enemy and literally gets bombarded? Guess who those first wave of guys are? Ayup, level 1. And unless you work in a good center, you generally don't get many tools. We're almost never allowed to hang up on abusive people.

How stressful in genenral is the job? I wouldn't say the job is stressful, its just demoralizing. You pretty much just have to sit there and soak up all the hate and stupidity that people give you. I leave work at work so its not too bad but I still find myself dreading having to go in to work everyday. - This too. Mostly it's the fact that people just tear into you even if it's /their own freaking fault/ and just can't grasp things as simple as 'fill out the boxes'. Or you spend half an hour plus with someone and get nowhere because they just. Don't. Get it. It also depends on how anal they are about QA. I've been docked points for being one word off a greeting. Horray.

Do you get much down time between calls? It really varies. They stopped giving us wrap time between calls, so if it's swamped, I can get back to back to back to back calls. Urk. Other days, like weekends I can get 1-3 calls an hour at most.

How casual/enjoyable does the atmosphere tend to be? Fairly casual. Come to work with all your naughty bits covered and try not to be obviously stoned/drunk/hung over.

Do your fellow employees tend to be cool or insufferable? For the most part, my coworkers are pretty cool. We have something in common, which is our hate for the customer. Its like a binding force that brings us together. We few, we miserable few, we band of brothers. - Nthing this too. Although I've got some horrible boneheads, perverts et al where I work. One guy's been warned repeatedly to not leer at people, take showers, etc. and yet ... he keeps being a creeper, smelling funny and being a sort of sugar daddy to one of our barely legal sorts. So while most of your co-workers are alright, you'd be surprised at how remarkably dysfunctional some are.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Well, I worked my last day today. Wasn't too bad. My manager was surprisingly cool and distant. They should be getting in touch for my exit interview eventually. I feel strange knowing I won't go in anymore. I think my brain got settled into 'work in, work out, sleep' mode. Bwah.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Tell me about that glorious feeling that overcame you when you took your last call. I want to go to there.

Well, my last call was actually a pretty awesome old lady who knew a fair amount about computers. She was giving it a college try to keep up with technology and I can applaud that. I mean, considering how far computing has come since her day and this day.

But it was a strange feeling of relief that I wouldn't hear the beeps of an incoming call, dealing with a caller who refuses to give me their name so I can track it, wearing my voice thin on busy days... It was just sort of like I set down a heavy bag and took a deep breath. I woke up the next day feeling strange because I no longer had to go in and be sure I was logged in a few minutes early or I was tardy. Nope. Gone. All of it gone. The headset? Gone too.

I've made some good friends at the call center (Although - there's also a lot of toxic people there too. Hi, Pedobear!) and kept a few e-mails to keep in touch. I'll kind of miss the awesome people I helped who were genuinely grateful though they were far and few between; they will still be teeny tiny shining beacons of light among the sea of douche, racist, ignorant and rude.

They did offer to let me come back if I wish and I've got a good reference (Tempting as it was to do something rude/epic). I think I'd only be able to go part time at most, but I'd need to work 20 hours and be available 40. I'm not so sure that'll work for me really. I'm sure some people can thrive in this environment, but not me. It's not a slight against the company (Although there are other things I /can/ slight them for...), but call taking is not my thing.

So I guess I can sum it up in that leaving was liberating, and I am glad to be rid of that stress in my life.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Wait, did you seriously have a predator on staff?

We had a convicted child molester or two. Pedobear also liked to leer at females in the area to the point where most of us had papers up to block him. He'd also been lectured several times on not being creepy, to not come in smelling funny, etc. Good times.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Seik posted:

Quit my lovely Capital One call centre job! gently caress you Capital One, you greedy morally bankrupt fucks.

Let the unsquishing of your soul begin, my friend. I imagine there are some decent call centers to work in, but - they are far and few between, while the rest of them are exploitative hellholes.

Don't get me wrong- I understand they have to compete with overseas support (And god, did I get a lot of people bitching about people from India, Taiwan, BROWN PEOPLE and how companies like Microsoft MADE THEM WAIT AND PAY so I as their ISP person should totally fix their ailing windows 98 computer. Yeah. Sure) and everything, but.

There's just a tiny part inside of me that breaks down at the idea of ever going back. I feel like I should MAN UP and BOOTSTRAPS IT if I ever need the job but...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Most call centers are barely paying enough to live on. At least, here anyway.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

ZeroDays posted:

I don't know what bank you work in, or even what country, but in my (UK) experience, you would definitely NOT be able to listen to music at any time, i-Pod, radio or anything, or be allowed to visit websites outside the bank's intranet. I guess what I'm saying is that wherever you work, you don't actually have it that bad.

Out of curiousity, how does listening to an i-Pod work when taking calls?

Yeah, we got chewed out if it looked like you had a headset. Though, we could browse whatever the filter would allow (Limited news sites, etc) and bring homework/handhelds. One guy even brought a laptop. I think they stopped that after some of them started stalking people on facebook.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I honestly don't get it either. I feel guilty if I overdraft to pay a bill/rent on time - and this is just paying dental/essentials (screw you overpriced dental insurance and Wells Fargo cutting off their SANE payment plan).*

*Working on applying for a Master's and hopefully a jerb that pays more than 8/hr. My old call center complained that OMG 9 dollars an hour to take 7 kinds of calls was TOO MUCH. Seriously?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Seriously? I make just under 14/hour with CPH of 12. Unless you are talking 7 different KINDs of calls, then I get paid that to take 9 different types of calls. Dont worry, call centers always think they pay you to much, and any monkey can do your job blah blah blah

Yup. You started at 8 and got 50 cent-1 dollar raises if and IF you met the metrics, which were stupid and horrible. Hope you're ok with hanging up or punting calls to meet the time metrics. :/

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

man thats gross posted:

I don't. Racist bitch. You did good work on this one though. I always felt good when I helped a customer by arming them with the info they need to fight someone who was treating them unfairly or not living up to their obligations.

I refused to abide by this kind of racist bullshit though. Like 90% of the call centre are recent immigrants, and I counted a lot of them among my friends. People like your customer made work hell for a lot of these guys, either by being blatantly racist over the phone, or more typically, by treating them with a tiny fraction of the respect they would typically give me, just because I have an anglo name and no accent, regardless of the fact that the other rep might have 100 certs in GSM architecture and networking, whereas I don't even have an A+ and my last job was in the kitchen of a pub.

Yeah, I love it when someone tells me how glaaaaad they are I'm not Indian or 'NO BROWN PEOPLE I WANT A REAL PERSON' or 'gosh it's nice to have a little white girl*' on the phone or one of the numerous rants about OMFG THOSE INDIANS AND ASIANS. Dude, they just want a job and they're exploited by the company as much as I am.

*Genuine quote. Sure, she was right, but it made my skin crawl.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

man thats gross posted:

Totally bro I am way over-reacting and playing the racism card over nothing. Not like I've ever had people complain to me about "the god drat pakis" all the drat time or had one guy say to me "thank god, a white person".

Yeah ... or someone ask for 'a REAL PERSON not a brown guy!'. I got thanked for being or at least sounding American all the drat time.

The tragic part is how /often/ it happens.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I feel somewhat guilty, but the sheer number of people who refuse to read basic instructions for their admission, financial aid, registration, etc is horrifying. Wouldn't you think these things are important?

Then again, I have a champion who told me they hate reading and college and just want to get it over with so they can make money. Ahaha. AHAHAH - HAH. *wheeze*

It's just killing me. Even if I have reasons to be vaguely sympathetic I'm sick of 'Hiiiiiii, I locked myself out. Please unlock me'. Even worse when they lie to save face and take up extra time. I get it. It's not an unusual human behavior to fudge a bit so you don't look totally bad. But c'mon. Who among us has never, ever forgotten a PIN? Just say you forgot and answer my drat questions. All too often it's just stupid things.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I am now an accessory to breaking federal law. AWESOME. All because some assclarinet wouldn't have her daughter unlock her account. Oh no, mommy's gonna lie. Then as I start to hang the phone up, I hear "(Accountholder)! What do you want your password to be!?"

This is /after/ I asked her if she was the account holder, AFTER I explained that it was federal law. She sounded far too old to be 18 and she had this horribly smug tone to her voice.

Sure, lady. Go ahead and live thinking 'oh ho ho, I duped that snotty tech support bitch'. I KNEW something was amiss, but I can't really call her on it. :/ Awesome.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, I was a bit worried about posting that but I did all that I could. If she tries to pull it again, I'll be able to do something I suspect.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Mother of God. I swear the next person who asks if I can help them with something after I explain what we're going to do is going to get the "Oh god, no. No we can't do that. It's crossing the streams- AAGGGH NOOOOO!" response.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Reminds me of the time a fire broke out at my old call center. Alarms blaring, sirens outside, the whole works. We had to tell people and bail pretty much. A couple of callers told us they gave no fucks if we burned alive, we'd better stay. Fortunately, my lady was pretty understanding - especially since I was right under an alarm.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

rockinricky posted:

I feel sorry for you guys. That place could become Mold Hell, and your bosses probably won't even care.

Ours did have black mold to the point they had some work scheduled, but they kept pushing it back. The walls were literally peeling and brown. I so should've called health inspectors.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Also, I'm going to shank one of the new guys for burning popcorn in the breakroom not once, but twice. That is a smell that does not go away quickly...

And I guess not, but it sucked having to suck down benadryl just so I could breathe in there.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I can't wait to be out of here.

I'm shocked at how many people have no idea what ID they are putting where. They just happily enter their information into places, give it out to nearly anyone who asks and - agh. It sounds like a story of getting an STD. "I don't know what I put my junk into, I just kinda did and something happened."

Or they run the opposite extreme and demand we reset their accounts sight unseen. Why do you want me to do it FOR YOU when you could do it yourself a thousand times more securely and any time you want? Are people this lazy and/or averse to reading instructions? Don't they CARE about their information? Or even things like class registration, financial aid - big things are at stake! Pay attention! I want to smack them senseless through the monitor.

The moment I think I'm jaded, something new comes along to crush that last little spark of hope.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I will admit to having left notes in Haiku. But that's on slow days and they always have relevant information.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Sometimes, I become sad for people.

I was unlocking an account for this incredibly depressed sounding kid while his mom screamed in the background that HE WOULD BE A PRE-MED MAJOR BY GOD. I hope he breaks free and finds his own way.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I get that America (I assume you're in America) is a hellish nightmare world where employees have no rights, but I'm pretty sure that threatening to rape or murder someone is still a crime there. It can't be legal for your employer to just tell you to keep talking to someone like that.

Oh it is. I've had people threaten to come shoot me, had an old lady wish I would die of AIDS on Christmas eve. We even had one guy wishing the fellow trying to divebomb the IRS building got us instead. I've heard some of the most racist, sexist, godawful insults while working in that call center.

It is legal and people are horrible. :/ The only time we can't talk to them is when they threaten legal action.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

But threatening to shoot someone is a crime. Your job description essentially includes "be the victim of crimes." You can't be paid to let crimes happen to you, that's crazy. :-/

Our job basically tends to have us be emotional punching bags. Psychology Today even ran an article on how call center employees are generally seen as acceptable to abuse, even by folks who would be horrified if they saw this sort of thing going on in a store.

I think that people don't see us as poor saps working the phone. They see us as the face of a corporate entity that's screwing them over (Whether they're right or not...). And it's ok to be mean to faceless entity! Or so they think.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

I get that attitude whenever I mingle with people in other departments at my company for various projects and it is the most annoying thing. I'm not going to say I have the most difficult or skilled job, but I'm still completely monitored AND I'm only allowed to go to the bathroom three times a day. My job is super completely annoying.

Yeah. And I wanted to shank the guy on the TSR side who ONLY sold upgrades and got buckets of commissions by promising that the upgrade would fix their slow issues. Turns out they would have stuff like latency because the line needed repair. He'd hang up on people who wouldn't buy and - welp. We all got to deal with the angry callers who couldn't get help or felt they got swindled. I really had to resist the urge to beat him with my shoe when he bragged about the couple hundred he made on commission.

Yet he wouldn't go to Customer Service because they had a quota of sales. Gee.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I have to admit, awesome old people really can make your evening. I love the feisty old ladies who keep up with technology or the stories and genuine appreciation that hey, someone's helping them.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

white quilt posted:

We're an inbound call centre. You called me. Put your kid to bed, finish eating your dinner, stop driving and park your car, if you're in a hurry, get out of one. You loving neanderthal.

But I *love* screaming children blowing out my eardrums, the smacking noise or crunching of chips surely means they are enjoying a fine meal and hey, they won't run over or kill someone using their laptop and/or phone on the HIGHWAY. I got a call from a guy driving a tractor one time. Couldn't hear a bloody thing and he kept screaming at me how horrible I was.

Or people who call in a big hurry for what turns out to be some stupidly complicated issue/they locked themselves out/want a lot done.

The longest wait on hold I got was an hour because some guy told me "WELL YOU ALL MADE ME WAIT SO NOW I MAKE YOU WAIT" and the Floor Manager didn't believe me. Until he listened in and was like, "Oh." Course said wait guy smashed his modem with a hammer (Two of them), was doing his best to tear into -me-, demanding we give him ~free things~ and new modems every time he called. He bitched about the brand of modem too. Dude, I know westells suck. Buy your own drat modem you whiny cheapskate. Turns out the problem was in his line. Oh, and he had to pay for all the modems he destroyed. Teeheee. I was so mad that day. I got him 4 times and he annihilated my call times by being a ranting douchebag.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I really hate that we have to type out/send out instructions on log-in info only to get told immediately that the person isn't going to bother because just having us reset it all the time is easier.

Agh, what the hell? Why not take the time and do it yourself so you can handle it if you forget things on the weekend?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I love getting that. I get a call from someone, tell them XYZ and then later or the next day, I get a call "SOMEONE in your department told me I could do ABC!" No. That was me. And I did not. Stop trying to lie to me. It irritates me.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

For a time, I worked a government license line. We even had to deal with doctors and such.

So I get a call from a doctor wanting to know why he's getting an error that some information is incorrect. HE is an MD and would NEVER get his information incorrect.

He spent over 20 minutes telling me I'm stupid, our system is stupid, the page is stupid, I'm some dumb bint, he's a doctor, on and on and on. I /finally/ get him to just -please- double check so I can put the ticket in since our supervisors record calls and want us to document.

He grumbles about how stupid it is, but does so.

When he gets to the zip code field... he put US. Yup. The letters U. And S. In the zip code.

There was a moment of silence. Then "Oh." and he hung him.

Thanks, jackass. I almost feel bad for your patients.

Another fun one: "Yeah, there's some flames coming out of my computer... is that why I can't connect to the internet?" Um. Yes. Go call 911 or put the drat thing out!

I also hate being able to reset passwords because we've got at least a couple of people who outright told me: "Oh, we won't bother with our reset stuff. It's just easier for us to call you." Ffffffff-

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

This password is one you use to claim financial aid, get grades, transcripts, register and ... the other is for e-mail. I honestly wish they'd bought the software to let people use passwords over PINs but. :/

I'm sympathetic to a point. The automated reset was secure, as it used a number assigned uniquely to a person and could only be retrieved by calling the line JUST FOR THAT and eeh.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I read an article where it wrote out that call center workers were the last acceptable group of people to abuse in the service industries, likely due to our facelessness.

I wonder how true this is.

But apparently, being a helicopter parent is more important than me losing my job.

Hint: If you can't trust little Timmy to deposit his financial aid, either use a check or don't send little Timmy to college. I'm not breaking federal law for you!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's hard to show empathy when you know they're lying through their teeth.

Yeah, it really is. I want to. I want to like this job. But I hate it so freaking much. :/

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, or I'd use a nickname/alias. Let's see... I had an old lady wish that I'd die of AIDS on Christmas Eve because we wouldn't send techs out in several feet of snow for her. One guy wished that the plane who crashed into the IRS would hit our call center instead. One guy threatened to hunt me down and gut me like a hooker fish. When I told the supervisor, I got 'lol just warn him three times and hang up'. Thanks, jackass.

And one guy threatened to find us and shoot us. It's good times. Thank god I just do IT at the campus instead of for DSL now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I swear to loving god, the next person who bitches at me about trivial issues like "I WANT MY IIIIIIIIIIICON RIGHT THERE!" or "SIIIIIIGH. No, I went to school 20 years ago! Of course I don't remember!" or "No, I refuse to do anything but this ONE SPECIFIC WAY/THING that will take you hours to fix because I wanna push a button and not right click!" is getting a mouse to the face.

And don't blame me for deleting thousands of your e-mails, then emptying the deleted items box. Oh, oh sure, yes, they just 'disappeared before your eyes'. And then emptied the deleted items box. I guess we've got a serious case of e-mail pixies.

Most of my calls were total non-issues. That took ages to fix because god freaking forbid you have to right click.