Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I work in an insurance claims call center for (mostly) commercial policies. My building takes new loss reports for workers comp, commercial auto, commercial property, and general liability claims (but mostly work comp). We also handle inquiry calls on existing claims, as well as default calls--which usually need to be transferred to policy services anyway, because at least half the default calls are Spanish-speakers who need to pay their bill (and we don't have a loving Spanish options menu :downsbravo:). I wish policy services handled default calls instead, it would make more sense since they're more often where the defaults end up. But I think they get paid more than us, because they have to be quasi-licensed to bind coverage, so we get stuck with the retards who can't press 1 or 2 :toot:

I've been there over three years now. It's the best job I've ever had, if only because my experience working in retail was a jungillion times worse. But I still hate this place with the fire of a thousand suns. Mostly because ever since we got a new CEO, they're selling off portions of the company and slowly outsourcing poo poo all over the place. I feel like I'm party to a slow but inevitable brownslide into the hellshitter.

They're holding our jobs over our heads like carrots on tree branches at every available opportunity. We had a meeting today (we almost never have meetings, so they're always about some stupid upcoming bullshit changes) where we were told that the higher-ups, who have never outsourced anything customer-facing in the past, are now thinking about considering it for us:
--
Department manager: Hay guys! The higher-ups are going to start considering whether they should consider outsourcing our department to India 8 months from now!

Us: :wtc:

Department manager: Just thought you'd like to know! Alright, no questions then? Now back on the floor!

Us: :confuoot:
--
Yeah loving right! I mean, we're already old hat at being outsourced, because a bunch of our fax work was outsourced to EXL in '09 and we managed staffing numbers exclusively through attrition, with no lay-offs. But this is different, this is customer-facing. Sending this work to EXL would be loving suicide in this field. Not to mention, our department takes default calls every day from the largest political lobby in America, and they don't take kindly to listening to foreign accents. The San Antonio branch of our department takes their claims and services their policies--old cantankerous incompetent assholes basically make up our entire personal lines bloc. Can you imagine your loving half-deaf grandparents trying to add a car to their auto policy with an Indian rep they can't understand? Me neither.

I suspect that the higher-ups will, logically, decide not to outsource my department at all, making all of this a mere power play to force the underlings to fear for our jobs again. I anticipate this given that our last 2 "crises" easily resolved with no layoffs, and during the most recent one we've actually had to hire (because morale dropped so low that attrition was higher than anticipated). I've definitely noticed that they seem to enjoy dropping big-rear end bombs on the rat maze, then everything turns out fine a year later. So why the gently caress should we worry? There's only so much drat I can give before I run out, and I'm all loving out. So color me apathetic, you over-bonused wastrels.
--
Bullshittery aside, at least it pays pretty well (not well enough to put anything in savings or ditch the roommates until my car is paid off, but enough not to be living with the folks). And since I work a midday to evening shift instead of early morning, I usually get to spend the second half of it entering claims from faxes, which saves me from being on the phone every single second. It could definitely be worse... at least I don't have to sell poo poo.

However, I wouldn't recommend call center work to anybody. Not even mine, which as far as call centers go is fairly cushy. The managers suck, the coworkers suck (unless you're an old married woman with kids), the QA department sucks and is out to get you, the callers especially suck, and the work sucks. Anytime I meet someone else who's remotely cool, they're gone within 6 months. I'm going prematurely gray, I've gained like 60 pounds, I had to start smoking cigarettes again after successfully quitting once before, and have had to smoke progressively more as time goes by. I'm alternately suicidal and homicidal. During an average commute to work, I will fantasize at least 4 times about getting T-boned by a semi truck so I won't have to go into work today. I'd say :350: helps, but my former supplier is now my ex so :cry:

fake edit: it's really loving hard to quit smoking with a job like this, but I'm still trying. I'm almost up to day 3 nic-free, totally cold turkey. Which is how I quit the first time I quit, before I had this job. It's theoretically possible. I just have to make it through Saturday morning and the physical withdrawals will be gone. The biggest issue is resisting a goddamn relapse when I have to talk to more loving morons next week :smith:

martyrdumb fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My job was a lot better before they installed monitoring software. Our calls have always been recorded of course, and going over audio recordings for QA (along with reading the claim system output, sometimes weeks after the call was complete) was how it worked when I started there. Now they have an application that records your screen as video, along with the audio, so they can actually see what we're doing as we're doing it. The problem, of course, is that I like to gently caress around on the internet during dead air on a call, which is a no-no. But before they installed spyware, nobody was any the wiser. And it wasn't affecting my times or customer service anyway. blahh

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Drimble Wedge posted:

Have there ever been any serious studies done on the psychological effects of that level of monitoring? Because, seriously, working in a call centre means you're living the life that the :tinfoil: brigade are always claiming to have. It's hilarious what people will do with work email, though; at my old job a guy (married) and a girl (unmarried) got fired for sending, oh, let us call them unprofessional emails to each other.

Yeah my performance tends to decrease as my perception of being micromanaged increases. Leave me alone, and I'll do just fine. Spy on me, and I'll gently caress around and waste time just to spite the company. It hasn't gotten me fired yet, but my recent QAs have been excessively unfair and anal-retentive. Either the QA reps are grilling everyone extra-hard as of late, or I'm being set up to be "involuntarily separated." Guess I'll find out which, next year!

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I would get severance if I were laid off by my call center, because I work at an insurance company and all of the employees get severance (one week per year of service). Except temps. We work in the same building as adjusters and underwriters, so it probably makes a difference when you're considered "part of" the company. I'm sure that if they end up outsourcing claim intake calls like they're considering, they wouldn't pay THOSE call center employees severance after a layoff. Because they'd be working at a freestanding call center that isn't considered part of the core company.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Oh, and gently caress interrupters. You know the ones.
No matter what I am saying, anytime somebody interrupts me, I stop talking. I wait for about 3 seconds of dead air after they're done before I continue talking. Long enough to express my silent disapproval and/or waste the time they were trying to save by being rude. Even if they don't get the point, I still feel better about it :v:

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

froglet posted:

Turns out nobody had switched on the dishwasher or done any dishes at work since Thursday or Friday.

There was mould growing out of a coffee mug. Mould. :gonk:
Guess who gets in trouble if dishes aren't done by Monday? The supervisor, that's who! Guess who was supervisor today?!
:suicide:

After sterilising the mug and switching on the dishwasher, I washed my hands for a solid 5 minutes after that. Then used hand sanitiser. Lots of hand sanitiser. I swear, keeping hand sanitiser in my bag is one of the best ideas I ever had.

Weekend and PM shift always gets in trouble about dishes not getting done despite day crew and the other departments on the floor making the dishes in the first place. Us on nightshift are paragons of nutrition and order in food. Or bring in our own food + cutlery because normally by the time we get to have lunch the cutlery and plates and mugs have been used but not cleaned. I would not use the workplace cutlery without giving it a good clean beforehand. Ever.
I don't understand your office culture AT ALL. Sharing "office dishes" is not necessary in the first place. Where I work, you bring in your own poo poo and take home your own poo poo, and any poo poo left on Fridays is thrown the gently caress away. It's loving EGREGIOUS that people aren't expected to wash their own. Washing moldy dishes 5 days after other people used them? That's so goddamn disgusting. You're a supervisor, bring up a proposal to put an end to that bullshit.

People really should be washing their own dishes, but if nothing else then the sups should be checking that they're done by the end of every day shift. It's also illogical that you would get in trouble for work other people didn't do. Do you have a boss you can talk to about this? Accountability should fall on the manager from the previous shift who failed to follow through.

I can't believe all of this poo poo even needs to be said. I just wasted two paragraphs about adults who can't wash their own loving coffee cups.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm surprised they make some of you clean up after yourselves (speaking of first world problems...), surely it's cheaper to hire someone for minimum wage to clean up than it is have a bunch of employees spend their time washing dishes?
At my call center, nobody is washing dishes on the clock. It doesn't cost the company money. It's all on breaks or lunches because we're in auto-in all the time, or we bring our dirty dishes home and wash them there. Again, my culture doesn't have shared dishes at all. Nobody leaves anything in the kitchen. It's shared by too many people, frankly.

Besides, the cost of employing a whole new person is generally more than just their salary. There's life insurance, health insurance, or if those aren't offered than they at least have to offer FMLA/disability/work comp coverage in case they get hurt. etc

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I'm wrestling with whether to send this email to another CSR's supervisor. On one hand, it's ratting out another call center worker, and I'm all about solidarity. On the other hand, I'm sick of assholes dumping calls they should be handling themselves, especially when they purposely dump them into the wrong queue, and especially when they don't tell the caller what they're doing. And since the other CSR works in another state, I've never met him, never will, and there will be no social consequences. Here's the email (the stuff in italics is redacted to protect the "innocent"):

Hi, (other csr's boss's name). I'm not sure you know me, as I work in (my office). But I'm on the transactional team, so we've interacted via email a few times in the past.

I am concerned because a CSR on your team dumped a (certain kind of auto claim that I don't handle) into the (kind of auto claim I do handle) auto queue today, and it came to me. He started a claim with the caller but failed to pull up the policy, then did a cold transfer. The caller was confused as to why he had been transferred to me, because the CSR had not explained it--as I recall the caller’s words, he had been on the phone with the guy, and then he was just gone. The worst part was, I couldn't even help the caller because we don’t take (those kind of) auto claims in (my office)--I had to transfer him right back to a (that kind of) auto claim rep. The policy# the caller gave me pulled right up on my first try, and it was undoubtedly (that kind of) auto policy. It didn’t even have a (special) policy designator, which might be mildly excusable to confuse for (the kinds of auto claims I do handle). So I'm confused as to why the rep thought it was appropriate to transfer the call.

The rep also failed to do a warm transfer and let me know that a claim had already been started, as is procedure. I found out who he was because his alias was logged in (our claim intake system), along with his aborted call ID, which pulled up when I searched for the caller's last name. I did a reverse-alias lookup in Outlook, which indicated the representative was (John Doe).

This has been happening increasingly often lately, with (those kind of) calls being dumped into (my) queue, which is why I invested effort into searching for this information. I hope it's appropriate to bring this to your attention. If it's not, I apologize and would like guidance as to how to address similar issues in the future. Thanks for your time!

--(my name & office)

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Thanks for the advice. I decided to sleep on it and I'm not going to send it. My normal boss is out on maternity leave for the next 3 months, and my interim boss is an incompetent breasticle, and it might raise some hackles if I go around his head. meh. I don't give a poo poo about this place anymore. I just found out the other day that the way they calculate our QA ratings is utterly hosed-up. I just can't care anymore. I'm going to do some jagerbombs when I get home tonight, they'll make me feel better.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Thankfully I have a common first name with no homophones, so nobody messes up my name unless they're deaf. Although I have worked with an Eola, Avivah, and Jamila (black ladies) who consistently have to spell their name to callers.

legsarerequired posted:

- I really wish there was some kind of free non-profit interpreter service for people who are hard-of-hearing. I just feel so stressed out when I'm screaming something repeatedly into the phone for someone that just can't hear me, and it happens multiple times a day, every day. I'm aware that there is an interpreter service for deaf people who need to make phone calls, and I wish there was something similar for people who are just too hard-of-hearing to use the phone effectively.
There is TTY service for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, but the problem is that the caller has to initiate that (and probably have special hardware in place) before they call us. Old people in denial about their hearing problems (which IME is practically all of them) wouldn't benefit from this service. I've also had a couple calls over the years from a company who translates for deaf people who use ASL over a videophone--pretty cool! But without a video or text for the interpreter to read from, there'd just be another middleman yelling at the customer instead of us.

It sounds like you and I have similar jobs. We have a very substantial elderly customer base that I rarely have to service. I take commercial claims (whoopee), but we take default personal lines calls when needed for overflow. The only thing we can do for them is look up the adjuster's name on existing claims, though. If they need ANYTHING else (to file a new claim, to ask for any claim details, to ask a coverage question, to make a policy change), we have to transfer and babysit them through the menus. So, because they couldn't sit through a phone menu and push buttons for 10 seconds, they get to listen to hold music while I push buttons for them. Lovely. :rolleyes: I think people commonly think they're getting around waiting on hold by pressing zero, but generally you're getting to an operator who will just have to transfer you anyway. I can understand losing patience through a 5 (or more) tiered menu--like when I tried to call the IRS last year--but ours is not bad at all.

I sit next to a row of new hires, who take new personal auto losses (it's part of a cross-training initiative, which I hope to god I don't become part of, because my entire office has only handled commercial lines since its inception). They have a whole different scripting for PL auto claims than I do for commercial auto claims that involves more compassionate phrasing. Their acknowledgement phrase is "I'm sorry to hear that, was anybody hurt?" vs mine, "I'd be glad to help you with that today." Because people reporting their own auto claims are bound to be more emotional than an HR manager reporting an accident to vehicle 687 in their fleet of 1k. Those reps also often get last-minute calls, and since I work til 8pm I never do anymore. Our CL volume drops waaaay off after 5pm PST, but the PL calls keep on coming.

My least-favorite kind of call is from small business owners who are very resistant about filing legitimate work comp claims. They'll whine and whine about how the employee is taking advantage of them, wants to collect free money all day, is taking revenge on the business that's been SO KIND to them (yeah minimum wage for 35 hours a week and no benefits, you're so kind), and complain that the employee got a lawyer (often with the added bonus of them thinking they know more about medical problems than a fuckin' doctor). Then we'll get to the injury description and it's something that was totally NOT the employee's fault--fell off a ladder in high winds, got their hand run over by a lawnmower, a car hit them while they were planting flowers, or whatever. There aren't enough :rolleyes: in the world for these cheap assholes, but I have to maintain a professional demeanor. It gets very trying not to shame them, but I figure the adjuster and the late-reporting fines will give them a reality check later. So at least I can smirk.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Buried alive posted:

As a person who has done this, that operator is basically what I'm after. When I call I'm after some help with <problem>. If <problem> is not in the call menu, or if it's buried two or three levels deep and I miss it, my last resort is to get around it to a human who can either help me or transfer me to a different human who will be able to help me. Staying on hold or not isn't part of the equation for me. It probably shouldn't be for others doing the same, but, well, this is partially a "bitch about stupid customers" thread, so there you go.
I'm not complaining so much about the people who hit zero or don't hit any options and KNOW that they're getting to an operator. I've had default calls that go something like this:

:) Hi, this is myname with mycompanyname, how can I help you?
:j: My account number is 1234567890. My bill last month was $100 more than it used to be.
:) Oka--
:j: I'm not sure why, insurance is such a ripoff. Look up my account and tell me why it's so high.
:( Ma'am, I--
:j: I mean, I've never filed a claim!
:( So--
:j: Not a single claim on my policy history! There is no reason for my premium to go up.
:bang: Ma'am--
:j: I mean this economy is just terrible. I have to pay more for everything, and now I have to pay more for insurance? So, did you pull up my account yet? Why did my rates increase? *pause*
:argh: I apologize, ma'am, but you'll need to speak to the billing department. I'm in claims and I don't have access to your policy or payment information.
:byodame: Well why didn't you say that in the first place? FINE, transfer me. *sigh*

martyrdumb fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2012

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

AA is for Quitters posted:

hooray for being good at telemarketing. :smith:

Just got told that there's no hope for a promotion, being as myself and the one other person who got hired on to do telemarketing (the other 4 in the department getting shoved there after failing at inbound calls after we started doing telemarketing last year) are the only two that make our numbers every day. fml. In a department of six, there's really no room for one of us to be supervisor, and the rest of the department hates us because well, we're the ones that they measure them against. gently caress. I mean, I like the job security and all, knowing they won't can me because I'm the most profitable person in the company, but...nothing sucks like your boss telling you "you're stuck there forever because you make too much money to move to inbound calls"

This is the point at which you start working just hard enough not to get fired. Stop making your numbers. It doesn't make any logical sense, but it's working for me.

I have my old boss back again for a few months while my new (and much better) boss is out on maternity leave. He was questioning why I was producing half as much as I used to when I started (I gradually decreased my numbers over time, but he didn't see the progression since I was with another boss). I made up some bullshit about being more thorough and attentive to the customer experience. But I don't want to get pigeonholed as the person who's too good to promote.

There's also the fact that the harder you work, the fewer people they have to hire.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

sbaldrick posted:

Do you work for the government as I know if you live in Canada you want to work for a Service Canada call centre. 40k a year, government hours, no call monitoring by anyone (it's illegal) plus after a while they let you into other departments.

Wait, how does the company do QA if higher-ups can't review calls after the fact?

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

sbaldrick posted:

corporate call centres are very different then a call centre like most of these ones. It would basically be talking to people that work in stores bitching about things. It's the best kind of call centre job.

Yeah I'd say B2B call centers are bound to be more pleasant than dealing with customers or the general public. Inflexibility on salary is a bad sign. However, I still think you should apply for the job. You may not think salary is negotiable, but you should always try to haggle when they give you the official offer. You might be surprised. If they're still inflexible after interviewing and offer you the job, though, and the wage sucks, I'd decline the offer.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I'm so tired of my job that I've completely stopped caring whether I get fired or not. Paradoxically, that makes my time on the clock much more enjoyable. Thus far, I have:

Spent 2-5 minutes in after-call mode, after every single call, for weeks on end.
Clocked in 2-6 minutes late every day (more than that would be counted as a tardy).
Given people information that we are forbidden to give out (whether a claim is open or closed, liability determinations, internal claim notes, poo poo like that).
Hung up on people who put me on hold (you're calling me, motherfuckers, call back when you have time for this poo poo).
Blind-transferred people into oblivion if I didn't want to deal with their problem, after asking them to hold.
Blatantly hung up on assholes.
Spent half the time I am supposed to be entering faxes loving around on the internet.
And, when I get a multiple claim call (that fucks my adherence and weekly call time all to hell), I take the first claim then transfer them back to get somebody else to do the rest (after I ask them to hold for just a moment, heh).

And here's the kicker: I've done ALL of this without a single negative repercussion. Either nobody's noticed, or nobody gives a poo poo. It's so liberating.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

legsarerequired posted:

The main thing holding me back is that I currently make $38,000 a year and I don't want to take a paycut yet (yes, I know that's crazy and unreasonable for my post-college work history).

Same here. I'm pulling in almost $30k with my shift differential (could be more but I refuse to do OT, I'm burned-out enough as it is). I applied around to other call centers in the area, and none pay as good. I got this job pre-recession, which sucks a bag of dicks because I can't find any other companies willing to pay that much and match my current benefits.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I will say, the nice thing about working in insurance is you only deal with customers who have something worth insuring. So, while I get an unfair share of calls from crackpots and belligerent assholes (insofar as having to deal with even 1 crackpot or belligerent rear end in a top hat, ever, is unfair), I don't have to deal with the lowest rung of society on a regular basis. I'm betting it's a lot worse for employees in cell phone or cable tv call centers. Because no matter how broke-rear end a deadbeat is, you can rely on them "needing" their phone and television. It's gotta suck to deal regularly with people I never have to worry about, like the uninsurable, people who are too mentally deficient to get a driver's license, and people who are too financially irresponsible to buy a home or car.

Still, I manage to be unfailingly nice, even to the borderline-retarded and the criminally-negligent. I talk to a lot of people who are both, unfortunately, since I take work comp claims every day.

Rant time: some ruddy bint called claims today at 730pm and insisted on making a payment for her employer's work comp policy. I told her firmly (though apologetically) that customer service was closed for the day, and she would have to call back in the morning. But she is very upset with our horrible customer service! It's not her fault she called after business hours to make a payment over the phone on the last possible day before incurring a late fee! By god I am going to help her! She is not paying a late fee because billing just happened to not be open when she called! :suicide:

gently caress off bint, call back tomorrow, there is poo poo-all claims can do for you. Unfortunately, my department is required to be open 24/7. We are the only department that functions this way. If you don't understand how this works, you should not be allowed to be responsible for paying your company's insurance bill.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Nobody should ever have their life threatened over their job. But, it's call center 101 for reps to never give out their last names. I never do this. First name, last initial if they insist on more. Firm but polite redirects if they ask for my last name. This has never failed me.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I hung up on a guy this week. He asked me whether making a claim would cause his rates to go up. Boilerplate question, boilerplate answer (there are many factors that determine your rates, we cannot determine what your new rate will be until your next renewal period, at which time you can blahblahblah). He didn't accept the answer. Then I said, "Sir, that's how insurance works. If the underwriting department thinks your claims history makes you more likely to file claims in the future, then your rate will increase." He didn't accept this, got rude, and asked to speak to the underwriting department. "Sir, customers cannot speak to the underwriting department. Even I can't speak to the underwriting department. Besides, they would be going off of incomplete information, because your policy isn't up for renewal yet."

At this point, he demanded a supervisor or another department. I told him that nobody would be able to answer his question satisfactorily, because his question doesn't have an answer. He called me a liar, so I hung the gently caress up. If I hadn't hung the gently caress up, I would have shouted, "What do you think we are, you bitter twisted old fuckwit?? fortune-tellers!?" and THEN hung the gently caress up. So I think I chose the lesser of 2 evils.

I am so loving burnt out on this poo poo. I goddamn hate old people, stubborn old people, stubborn and stupid old people, but most of all stubborn stupid old people who live in loving Jersey. I have transferred off calls without saying a word for weeks now, just because I didn't feel like talking. Not even a single write-up. I really think nobody there gives a poo poo. As long as I pull down perfect claim QAs (and I do), nobody bothers me about my phone shenanigans.

On one hand, I feel like I really want to get fired because I will finally be goddamn free. On the other hand, I have debt. fml

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Congrats, man. My fourth anniversary is in 20 days... I've got all the makings of a lifer. I'm jealous of people who get out because, by the time I get home, I'm too drained to even update my loving resume, much less look for another job. The one time I tried to look for another job, I couldn't find anything with comparable pay to my hourly+differential that wasn't just another call center. The fiery flames of hell don't have a thing on being forced to listen to stupid old people ramble about their car problems and financial woes 40 hours a week.
:negative:

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Hahah! The reason my long ACW/call avoidance has gone unnoticed is because our management can't figure out how to do reports on the "new" phone system. Yeah, the phone system that's been in place for 6 months now. The phone system they stopped rolling out after a quarter of the company got it and complained night-and-loving-day about it.

It's hilarious, even the managers are on our side at this festering shitpit. My boss told me he is unable to monitor calls live anymore (they can only go over recordings+screencaps after the fact, and we never get QAd on anything shorter than 5 minutes). Oh, and! My softphone comes with a handset, and it is literally impossible to distinguish between a hang-up and an unintentional disconnect. *snicker* So, I've been hanging up on assholes and transferring assholes into oblivion and hanging out in ACW ever since, with zero ramifications. Needless to say, my job satisfaction is very high.

A first writeup for call avoidance, incidentally, is not a term-able offense. I'm sure they'll figure out the reports eventually, but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until I get called on it.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Ever since my department moved from a QA rubric to a "holistic" QA method, there's always room to argue your score up. Like yeah, I made a mistake in forgetting to ask one question, but my good tone and the customer's high satisfaction made up for it. My supervisor has told us to argue any score that's less than 100%. There's a very good chance of getting it bumped up at least a half-point (and on a 3.0 scale, that's significant).

The corresponding bad part of the holistic method is that a single typo in a really important field (like SSN or last name) can bring an otherwise-perfect claim QA down to a 1.0 (the lowest rating possible).

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

cuntvalet posted:

You guys actually get 100%s? I've never given anything higher than a 97%.

The way our QA works is, calls are scored a scale from 1 (worst possible call) to 3 (good call, can have minor flaws but nothing that substantially affects the claim process). You can only get scored down in half-point increments. The next-to-highest score is a 2.5. It's not possible for us to get a free-form score like 97%. We have an overall quality index that we have to surpass to get a "satisfactory" rating at the end of the year. I believe it's .79 (although they change the target year to year, it was only .69 or so when I started). Oh, and 2.0 & 2.5 scores both have a quality index of .66, because our QA department head is a loving moron. Every call starts at a 3. You are expected to get 3s most of the time, unless you are retarded/lazy. You can't get a whole lot of 2.5s without dragging your index below .79, since a 2.5 counts for .66. To put it in terms of the American grading system, we have to maintain at least a B-average when the only possible test scores are 100%, 66%, or 33%. It's loving stupid as hell. So the scores are generally slanted toward the 100% end of that spectrum, unless you're retarded or lazy.

Anyway, so far I've only gotten one 2.5 all year, and the rest of my scores are all 3s. And I'm #10 in my department (obviously below the people who've gotten straight 3s on every call), which consists of about 80 people. Maybe slightly less, we have a new hire class now and people quit left and right.

Goddamn that was a lot of :words:. It's a dumb system though, making it hard to describe concisely.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My job has gone down the shitter as of late, but it's mostly due to technology and partial outsourcing. We upgraded from hard phones to softphones this year. At the same time, our calls started getting visually-monitored in realtime (as opposed to the old audio recordings, no video or even screencaps). Before, nobody could tell if we were surfing the internet when a caller put us on hold. It didn't matter as long as it didn't affect the sound of the call. But now if you alt tab during a call and it gets QA'd, you get docked. Even if you're on hold for like 5 minutes (which happened to me twice last week). gently caress that poo poo, I'm not sitting there for 5 minutes twiddling my thumbs. I'd have blown my brains out 3 years ago if that was a requirement.

And with the new tech came a hard-on for cross-training (which has got to be businesspeak for "training that makes you cross"). The more lines of business each rep learns how to handle, the fewer employees are needed, and the higher our occupancy becomes. It's great because we're more flexible! loving hooray.

Our center hours were also pushed back, due to midday hold times and lack of calls in the evening (they shoved those off onto our 24-hour office in another state). And because all the paper claims we used to handle have since been outsourced. So now, we close at 8pm instead of midnight. We lost a good amount of staff when the hours changed.

When I started this job, there was plenty of downtime between nearly every call, every day. It was vanishingly rare to have anyone on hold. We always have calls on hold now, and no downtime. None. People are starting to camp out in ACW for multiple minutes after every call they take. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they start live-monitoring that, too.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
For customer service week, I got a piece of cake and 4 hershey's kisses. :toot: They raffle poo poo off for people who do a bunch of loving crossword puzzles, but they don't give us time to do them. I think it'd be better for morale to cater a small lunch on Friday instead of giving a chance to win one of 20 $10 gift cards. I'll be damned if I'm going to work off the clock for a chance at 45 minutes' worth of pay.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Loving Life Partner posted:

My company recently blocked SA forums, but I was able to get the IP for forums.somethgingawful.com and use that instead. So yeah. YMMV though.

What's the IP?

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Spent 4.5 years in the same call center now (insurance company). I hosed around so much on the phone last year. So, so much call avoidance: racked up massive ACW, was late coming back from breaks/lunches on a daily basis, hung up on rude people, transferred foreign language calls back into the queue instead of getting a translator, hit mute and recycled random calls from my phone back into the queue when I didn't feel like talking.

But I just found out that due to the new phone system we started using early in 2012, they couldn't track ANY of those metrics--no ACW, no call times, no # transfers or where we transferred to, nothing. So my annual review was based entirely on attendance and claim QA scores (no calls shorter than 10 minutes ever get QA-checked). And those metrics, being the only 2 I bamfed, means I'm getting a HUGE loving bonus. /fistpump

They've said they can track all that poo poo now. We'll see. Haven't seen hide nor hair of January metrics yet.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Been working at an insurance company call center in IL for 4.5 years. The job is a shitter compared to how it was when I started. They used to send people home early at least once a week because of how dead it was... we've since outsourced our easy calls to India and the Philippines and taken on additional (far more complex) lines of business. The job has just loving sucked donkey dick for 3 years. I'm in the final stages of vetting for another call center job, but it's doing tech support for a local bank... in New loving York. I really need this job. Skype interviewed like a boss. Just waiting on my references to check out. PLEASE GOD LET ME GET OUT OF THIS SHITHOLE.

Also, my new neighbor in cubicleland is none other than Dilbert's Loud Howard. If I don't get this job, I swear I'm going to choke a bitch.

martyrdumb fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 27, 2013

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I finally heard back from the bank I interviewed with. And... I'm hired! I put in my 2 weeks' notice yesterday! I'm moving to HOLYSHITNEWYORK!! In... holy poo poo, 13 days. :yayclod:

Unfortunately, I'll be moving from one call center to another. But I'm also moving from a massive soulless corporate behemoth in the Fortune 500 with concomitant arcane rules and technology (still using IE6 ffs) to a small tech-savvy local bank filled with rainbows and bunnies. They have a mobile app. They interviewed me on Skype. With a webcam. They're going to give me a company laptop. :aaaaa: Okay, so nothing to write home about in the grand scheme of things, but comparatively I am moving the gently caress on up.

I did have to take a small paycut since I'm moving to an area with a lower cost of living. I'll be getting way better benefits, though. They provide vision coverage and will pay for my gym membership, neither of which I get here. And it'll be the first time I actually respect the company I'm working for. I can't help but think it'll make a massive difference in working conditions when the CEO lives and works in the same city as the peons.

Not to mention, I'll be doing a job that's more closely aligned with my nerdy-rear end interests. Instead of taking insurance claims from retards, I'll be resetting retards' passwords and teaching them how to use the company's mobile app. I can't wait! Oh, and now I have an excuse to go shopping for fancy clothes, because I have none! We wear jeans every day at my current job. The bank's dress code is business formal. :aaa:

I'll probably end up back here to rant once the shine of the new job wears off. But until then, optimism ho!

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
New job, website support. Still in a call center, but the environment is way less regulated than I'm used to--very little oversight, calls aren't recorded, my boss doesn't give a gently caress as long as we answer 90% of calls we're presented with (which essentially means we can safely ignore 10% of the ones that come to us), I can go pee anytime I want with no hassle, and no more cubicles! :toot: Been a pretty easy month and a half so far, mostly just password resets... until today. Last night we did a server migration from onsite hosting to an offsite vendor. That meant a completely new URL for my department's website. But instead of doing the sane, logical thing and implementing a redirect, they just changed the link destination of the login button. So everyone who had the page cached (meaning, everyone) got a "page not found" error when trying to log in. So our phones were queuing off the hook and I spent 8 hours telling idiots and assholes how to clear their browser cache. :suicide: Now truthfully, my job wouldn't exist without the idiots, but I could do without the assholes and the hard-of-hearing-I-don't-wanna-wear-my-hearing-aid-you-can't-make-me-now-speak-up-please-oh-you-can't-yell-any-louder-dear?

Oh well, at least we got bagels.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Gothmog1065 posted:

I must really hate myself. We had a bad storm come through last weekend and all of a sudden we're in "OH MY loving GOD WE'RE SO BEHIND" :supaburn: that they opened up overtime. I picked up 30 hours. But they do incentives, which make it better. Each 2 hours of overtime I work I get a $20 gift card, so I'm now making pay + (pay*.5) + 10. an hour. not too shabby.

But 30 loving hours. And all of our TC's are out a week in certain areas. Customers are not happy.

Oh, and they're stealing a half an hour of our lunch because of the :supaburn: mentality right now. So that's an additional 3 hours of OT.

That's crazy good. At my last call center, for every hour of overtime we worked in a week, we got one entry into a drawing to win a :siren:FREE IPAD!:siren: Yeah, that's such a good incentive. With over 100 people in our department, there were plenty of people working themselves to the bone for nothing but 1.5x pay. Because (chance at a) FREE IPAD!

Keep chasing that carrot, guys.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My employer duplicated almost 3000 transfers today. Including over a thousand mortgage and auto payments. Many balances are negative, overdraft fees are being assigned automatically, checks are bouncing... Now it's up to us to reverse everything within 24 hours while keeping a smile in our voices. What kills me is, we know which admin hosed it up. The dumbshit was in my manager's office laughing about it afterward. Isn't this the kind of mistake that a head would normally roll for? We'll be dealing with (justifiably) pissed customers all week. But hey, it's ok because he bought us bagels. Right? :toot:

P.S. Never open an account here. No, I can't say where I work. But seriously, don't.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

cuntvalet posted:

Found out today that a coworker (who is rather quite upbeat, happy and friendly) had been on leave of absence because he tried to kill himself due to job stress.

This is the same guy who at orientation, asked how he could work on his days off, make sure he worked every holiday, etc. and when management joked that he should get a life, he responded with, "what if work is my life?"

The amount of leave of absences is crazy but I'd never expect Lloyd to go that far. :smith:
Get the gently caress out already! Your out is staring you in the face. Do something because your inaction is infuriating :wtc:

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

SpartanIV posted:

I like wearing nice clothes to work. :unsmith:

I like having the option. You can wear nice clothes with a more casual dress-code. The reverse is not true.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
If there are rules against having paper at your desk and no internet to play around on, I wouldn't worry about what to do with your time between calls. Because chances are, you won't get any. Good luck at the job, though. What really helped calm me down on my first day was the realization that no matter how shittily someone treated me, I'd never have to talk to them ever EVER again.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

SiGmA_X posted:

At the two centers I worked at, griping about customers was 100% normal. We also would tell each other to STFU if we didn't want to hear it. No one had a problem with that either!
Taking your break away from your work station would definitely be good for you. I usually ate an apple and walked about a half mile per break. It barely kept me same. And if your coworker won't shut up, you do have a voice. "Hey Bob, I really need a few min of no customer thoughts right now, kthx?"

The 'do me a favor' thing is definitely a good suggestion.
Also, headphones. I listen to music on my tablet when I take lunch at my desk. Works a charm for getting some peace and loving quiet while I eat and lurk SA. I'd rather lunch away from my desk, but we can only access wifi on approved company-issued devices. Which are conveniently only issued to management.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

liz posted:

After reading this thread a bit, I'm a little afraid to post this... But anyways, I had an interview earlier this week for what is essentially an inbound call center dealing with FMLA benefits. I have never worked in a call center before, and am honestly just trying to better my financial situation and earn more money. The benefits and pay are already better than my current job (along with better hours M-F 830-5) so on paper it looks good, but basically how hosed am I? Am I going to completely hate this? There's no guarantee I'd even get the job, but its hard to say no to something that is seemingly better than my current position (Teller).
If I were you, I would give it a try. I've worked in two call centers. One was horrible and sucked out my will to live. The other was pretty much ok. It depends on a lot of things, it's really a crapshoot. A smaller company is generally better to work for (IME) than Conglom-O. It's also better to work at an inhouse call center than an outsourced one that handles calls for multiple companies. If they're offering wages that aren't poo poo, why not try it out? It's not a job that you'll want to do your entire life, but neither is being a bank teller. Also, being a teller is utter poo poo because you have sales goals. You'll have service metrics in any call center, but there aren't any sales measurements that would apply to disability claims. Insurance as an industry can suck because everyone calling you has a problem, and you might end up being the bearer of bad news (I'm sorry your claim has been denied, etc). I've worked in one, I know. But you can also leverage an insurance call center position (if it's inhouse) into working as a claims tech or adjuster. There was a lot of upward mobility from my department, at least.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I used to sit next to a real-life Loud Howard. I ended every shift with a full-body headache. The only way to fix it, unfortunately, was to get a new loving job.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I've had some dumb dreams about my call center. Getting assigned to take my phone home at night and keep falling asleep and missing calls, that kind of thing. No matter what your job is, you're going to dream about it.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

WampaLord posted:

Y'all need to learn how to compartmentalize your thoughts. Despite years of call center work, I've never answered the phone by using my work intro or had nightmare thoughts about callers. Granted, maybe I'm the lucky exception and should check my privilege.

Alternatively, most call centers don't drug test, so 420 smoke :420: everyday. That should help with the voices, or at least make them more fun to talk to.
And don't forget, mental illness isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

you ate my cat posted:

Is it weird that I'm sitting here wondering if I could have de-escalated that call?

On a different note, my job is sending me out of state to provide floor assistance for a new center for a week. Paid travel time, from what I hear very nice hotel rooms, plus a week off the phones to do the only thing I even kind of like at work? Sign me up.

Screams or a single curse word on their own get a first warning from me. If he didn't calm down, it would be an instant hang-up. I've never worked anywhere that didn't let you hang up on abusive callers, as long as you warn them first.