Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I have another question for all the workers in this thread.

Is it worth contacting the company you work for if I have a terrible experience with an incompetant phone worker? What about if I have a great experience with an awesome one?

If I was to write a letter or email along the lines of "I called up on blah date and this reference number. Dave was awesome and super helpful and deserves a raise and a big free steak dinner", will anything happen?

Make it clear whether you're emailing in about the company, the rep, or your particular issue, especially if you're complaining. If my boss gets an email saying, "My issue wasn't resolved, your people couldn't do anything, blah blah blah" they'll dismiss it as a customer probably being unreasonable. If you send one saying "I spoke to _____, he was rude and couldn't answer any of my questions about <issue>" they'll take more notice.

One email like this isn't going to do much, but several for the same person might. Incidentally, I prefer customers to email our general line to say I was awesome rather than be transferred to a supervisor. The email gets sent out to the entire department and then there's a written record of it. Complaint emails do not get distributed this way. If you say exactly the same things to a sup, assuming one's available, then they may or may not remember even speaking to you an hour later.

Quick question. When I get a customer email saying "Sorry I was rude, miryei was awesome and professional" I generally keep a copy of it. Is that a useful thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Rant: If your account number is 14567008413564, it is not "One, forty-five, sixty-seven hundred, eight, four, one hundred and thirty-five, sixty-four". It is "One four five, six seven zero, eight four one, three five six four"

Anecdote: My company does customer service and some light tech support for certain aspects of other companies. This means that other company's reps will sometimes call in with a customer to get an issue resolved. I've shortened this a bit, but everything I cut out was just repeats of what's shown in the second half.

:eng101: Hi, thank you for calling <company>, this is Miryei, how can I help you?
:j: Miryei, you said? This is Ashley* from <company2>, I have a customer on the line. He's having some trouble with (describes issue)
:eng101: It looks like you're using the same IP for him that you were using six months ago. Is his IP static?
:j: Well he hasn't changed anything.
:eng101: Most IPs are dynamic, meaning that they change periodically, even if he hasn't changed anything on his end. You just need to get the new one from him.
:j: But if he didn't change anything, shouldn't his IP be the same?
:eng101: No. But put him on the line, we'll get this sorted out.
:j: But there's a language barrier. He doesn't speak much English.
:eng101: Oh.... okay. Put him on anyway, we'll work through it.

:eng101: Hi, this is miryei from <company>
:) (moderate Spanish accent) Hi, this is Pedro*!
:j: THIS. <COMPANY>. THEY HELP.
:eng101: Your IP probably changed, we just need a new one.
:) But I didn't do anything different!
:eng101: Most IPs are dynamic, meaning that they change sometimes, even if you don't change anything on your end.
:j: YOU. GIVE. BAD. IP.
:eng101: No, it was right at the time, it's just different now.
:) Why would IPs change like that?
:eng101: There aren't enough to go around, so every time you log out someone else gets yours. Then when you log on again, you get a new one.
:) Oh, okay.
:j: YOU. GIVE. WRONG. IP. NEED GOOD IP.
:) So how do I found my IP?
:eng101: Are you at that computer now?
:) No, it's at another location.
:j: But if he didn't change anything, shouldn't the IP be the same?
:) It changes sometimes. / :eng101: No, they just change sometimes.
:j: I don't understand.
:eng101: We just need the new IP, then you'll be good to go! Pendro, when you get to the other computer, I want you to open an internet browser and go to ipchicken.com. That's chicken, like the bird.
:j: He won't be able to do all that.
:) Okay! ipchicken.com. Once I get there, then what?
:j: NEED. NEW. IP.
:eng101: It'll show your IP in nice big numbers in the middle of the screen. Once you get that, you can call us back and we'll get this set up for you.
:) (typing) Oh okay. I've pulled that up here to see what it looks like. That's easy enough.
:eng101: Okay, so just call us back when you're at the other location.
:j: YOU. CALL. BACK. SOON?
:) Sure! Ashley, I'll just call you back on your cell.

The customer had a moderate, not thick, Spanish accent, but spoke quickly and clearly and used English like a native, including contractions and colloquialisms. I have no idea why he didn't get offended at the other rep.

*not their real names

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I had a woman call in really frustrated, spent half an hour on the phone with her, and by the end of it she was calling me an angel. This made me feel like I actually did something good :downs:

On another note, things I hate:

Customers who put me on hold multiple times after calling me. If now is a bad time, call back when it's a good time.

Customers who call when in the car and want me to "fix" the problem that they were having with our website. It was probably user error and there's no way we're getting that worked out when you're driving down the highway.

People who interrupt my instructions to say that what they tried wasn't working. What they tried invariably has no correlation to what I told them to do. Of course it's not going to work.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone else have this conversation?

:) Hi, this is Miryei, how can I help you?
:v: Was your name Brittany?
:) Miryei, sir.
:v: What is your name?
:) My name is Miryei. How can I help you?
:v: Was that Maria?
:) Miryei, sir.
:v: Pam?
:) .... yes. What can I help you with today?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

CaptainJuan posted:

My name is Michael, but people always hear it as "Marco". I just let it go.

I only correct it if they keep asking my name, but if it's their third time getting it wrong then I just say "yes, that's it" regardless.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

white quilt posted:

We're an inbound call centre. You called me. Put your kid to bed, finish eating your dinner, stop driving and park your car, if you're in a hurry, get out of one. You loving neanderthal.

A thousand times this.

Also, "What is this regarding?" or "Is this a sales call?". You called me, I have no idea what it's regarding or if you'll try to sell me something.

I once had a woman call me about coverage for her husband's blood work. She wouldn't believe me that we're not an insurance company or anything similar, saying that I was lying about what company I worked for so that we wouldn't have to pay to cover it. When I was finally able to explain to her what we do, she ended the call with "We don't need any of that please put us on your do not call list thanks bye" -click- :rolleyes:

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

BigStu posted:

Has anyone developed a fear of being asked how your day is? Most of the people that call us ask how my day is before
"Well, it's about to get bad"
"You screwed up my bill, fix it"
"I hate your company."

I have developed a fear of anyone who says they have "just a couple quick questions"

Those calls end up taking over an hour if I let them.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

I get this all the time, "can you load X.com for me?" "Okay hold on, let me get to my email..."

YOU DON"T HAVE TO CLICK A LINK FROM YOUR EMAIL JUST TYPE IT THE gently caress IN ARGH

Especially when the link they're clicking in their email is the one-use activation link that only works the first time you log on! But of course they won't listen to your directions until they've found out it doesn't work anymore via clicking on it, and then "your website is broken!"

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

Any ever notice that no one can pronounce the word 'authentication' when they're reading it to you? I don't remember the last time someone read "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" to me without spending a couple minutes butchering it.

Log on using security password authoritorial.

Log on using secure passcode authorization.

Log in using--how do I log in? Do I put my password in this box that says Username?

Log on usage security password authentification.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, 'Authenticity' is the one I always hear.

I actually get 'Authentification' quite a lot. 'Authenticity' is a runner-up.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

rolleyes posted:

Do the email surveys which get sent out after some calls reflect back on the particular agent involved with the call? I just received one which asked detailed information about what I thought about the way the agent did their job having called my insurer to discuss my renewal price, which I filled out very positively because frankly the guy did a good job, knew his poo poo and got me a lower price without me even having to ask for it.

Kinda hoping I've made someone's day a bit better.

For my company, the surveys are sometimes linked to a particular agent and sometimes not, depending on what triggered it--A survey triggered by a phone call will be linked to the agent, a survey triggered by completing a form on our website will not be, even if an agent helped you complete that form. The one you filled out probably is.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
It bothers me how many times I've had this conversation.

:confused: Your website isn't working. I can't get on. Is something broken on your end?
(I check, website appears to be working normally)
:) It's working fine here, what error message are you getting?
:confused: Error message?
:) What does it say on your computer when you try to use our website?
:confused: Computer? Do I need to be on the computer for this?
:) .... yes.

I've never figured out what these people are doing before calling me, that doesn't involve a computer, than convinces them that our website is down. I like to think that they're trying to log on using the microwave. Any thoughts?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Smartphones, Ipods, tablets, anything that can access the internet really. Many don't consider these "computers".

I doubt they're using anything like smartphones. The conversation that follows is invariably explaining how to turn their desktop on, how to open the internet--which usually gets down to, "click the blue E"--and explaining where the address bar is and that they should type our web address there. At which point they call over their son/niece/grandkid/husband to type for them.

Then they will rant about how everyone these days uses cards, but THEY always pay with checks because you can't trust computers and when society collapses and cards stop working, the kids growing up these days won't even know how to use a check! Besides, Obama/Bush/foreigners are ruining this country and I should know that.

If I try to find out what they've done so far, it's just a stubborn, "it doesn't work, your website must be broken".

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
"Hi miryei, it's John! I spoke with you in November, you helped me reset my password, remember?"

Nope.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I'm currently second tier at my call center.

They've instituted a new policy where if a customer needs a second tier rep, even once, they give that customer the direct number instead of just transferring them. If tier 1 is making an outbound call and they are calling a customer who looks like they might have a tier 2 issue, they're supposed leave a voicemail with the direct number.

Now I can't get work done because I'm fielding so many "I can't log in" calls--once a customer has the tier 2 number, they refuse to use tier 1 for anything ever. And they wonder why we're backlogged.

edit: Tier 2 was never told about this policy. We started getting a lot of weird calls, then a coworker noticed a Tier 1 giving out the direct number. The coworker pointed that out to the T1 manager, who replied, "Oh yeah, he's doing that because I told them to"

miryei fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 20, 2012

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Glassdoor has one review of my company, and it's from someone who interviewed there, not someone who worked there. And based on the context of the post, I know exactly who s/he interviewed with and how it went.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Yeah, a complete ban on electronics like that seems really silly, especially if they let you have paper. I've heard of call centers not allowing paper, though.

I've been getting this a lot lately: "Well yesterday, the other girl in your department told me <bullshit>"

1. I am the only girl in my department.
2. I remember speaking with you yesterday
3. I most certainly did not tell you that.

This job is making me entirely too cynical.

miryei fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2012

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I've been getting a lot of this lately, too:

1. Customer sends an email. Emails take about 3 business days to respond to.
2. Customer calls an hour later. "Did you get my email? Okay, just checking."
3. Customer calls later that afternoon. "Did you get my email? How long will it take you to respond? Okay, thanks."
4. Next morning, customer send another email asking how long it takes emails to be responded to. Please note that it will also take us about 3 days to get to this second email.
5. A few hours later, customer calls in again, "Did you get my second email?"

I would be able to respond to these a lot faster if they'd stop interrupting by calling to ask whether we're responding.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
So since I'm out of call centers for the time being, and looking for a new job, here's some choice customer quotes:

1. Oh, I don't keep any of that electronically, just in this excel file.

2. Is the password for this the same as my banking password? It's '________'

3. But the salesperson told me this computer couldn't get viruses, so I don't need a firewall.

4. My IP address? It's ___________@yahoo.com. (note: this was from the 'IT person')

5. TYPE my name? You need me to TYPE MY NAME into this box?? I don't type!!

6. I CAN'T log in, I'm on the HOMEPAGE.

7. How do I make a capital R?

8. Sweetheart, I know what a browser is, I have a Dell.

9. My firewall is VERY FIERY, do you hear me? It is the FIERIEST!

10. "Start here"? What does that mean? Why do you make this so complicated, I have 2 college degrees and can't figure it out!

miryei fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 27, 2012

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

"Well you're the expert, you figure it out."

Or worse, after they finally describe the problem and you tell them the solution: "That won't work. No, I haven't tried it yet. No, I won't try it now, because I know it won't work."

They should at least assume that the people who have dealt with their issue a thousand times, and who they are calling for help, might know slightly more about it than them. If they're not going to listen, why are they calling?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm working on it. Applying for grad school, hitting USAjobs, etc. It's just hard when it's what you have experience in and everyone goes, OH! You can work the phones!

It also irritates me how many stealth sales and call center positions there are. "Work a data center with end users" indeed...

Very much this. I had someone call the other day to offer me a tech support position (which I've done briefly before and enjoyed). It turned out to just be telemarketing for a telecom, then the recruiter flat out asked how little they could pay me. Screw that.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

supkirbs posted:

The best ones are when you get a caller again you very clearly remember because they were so nasty the first time, but they don't realize it's the same person and try the whole "Well, when I called in last time the agent said they could make this exception/remove these fees/they didn't tell me that rule last time!/etc!!!" thing and you know it's total bullshit.

These calls are pretty great, but my favorite are the ones where the caller assumes that everyone in the call center is part of a hive mind. "Hi! It's Amy! I called yesterday, remember?" Then you pull up the account and not only had you worked on this account before, but it should be impossible to confuse you with the last person they actually spoke with. I'm female and tend to speak very quickly, and a few times this happened where the last rep they got was Jerry, who is male with a very low voice and speaks very slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

My favorite is when they continue to ask who is calling them after I ask for someone who doesn't live there.

At that point what does it matter? You know its a wrong number why are you still talking to me?

A while back I'd gotten a new phone number and had constant calls, mostly from collections agencies, for whoever had had the number before me. None of the reps believed me that they had the wrong number, but I'd try to get the company info anyway so I could at least try to complain about it. Usually they hung up on me when I asked where they were calling from.

After about 3 months of this, I just got another new number.