Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Dick Trauma posted:

A few years of working for TeleTech as a supervisor at their HQ was more than enough to cement the fact that call centers are hell for both the employees and the callers.

The only good thing that came out of it was enough stock options from the IPO to buy a nice camera before their value dropped like a loving rock.

Teletech is complete poo poo and I hate that company so bad. I feel that 80% of my job is correcting issues that are caused by teletech. They also like to transfer customers without letting the customer know, so that when I get the customer they are really confused and always ask where the last guy is that put them on hold.

They also like to transfer calls to my department when the customer asks for a supervisor instead of getting their own. My company isn't great, but I hate hate hate teletech with a passion.

Also, what do you do as a supervisor that makes your employees scared to ask you questions, so they call my department to ask questions. Dumb questions like directions to a local office, or when a promo expires, or how to reapply promo codes to an account. gently caress you teletech, you are a terrible company.

I don't know if you were ever on the floor, but we signed our calls with tcg/agent name/time in case you wanted to know who I worked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
alright, now that my rant is over I'd like to post a call that I had the other day

:( how may I help you?

:) Hi, I would like to remove the mlb package from my account

:( may I ask the reason why?

:)well first of all there are only 4 channels in hd. 2nd, the same teams play each other every day. There are also no good teams playing each other.

:( ???????

ok, who in the world would order a $200 package and not understand how baseball works? How is that a valid complaint to remove it? I was so baffled by this guy and his reason to remove it, pure amazement.

Too bad I couldn't remove it for him though, as it is a ppv event. Once those are ordered there is no going back. I honestly laughed at him at this point and told him that it sounds like he needs to talk to mlb. He replied that he will be calling them next, and hung up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Three Olives posted:

Sometimes when I get a super helpful person in a call center I ask to speak to their manager to give them a kudos. Am I wasting everyone's time or is that actually the good thing that I think it is?

It is very good. Not only does it put a smile on the agents face and make them feel good, but usually the agent will get something for it. Where I work they have a drawing that you get put into for cash.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well as you may know the company I work for has been getting lovely pretty fast. Well I found out Thursday that they got bought by another company, and are signing the papers on June 1st. We had a meeting with a guy from corporate, but he couldn't answer any questions. All I do know is that we now get paid for 0 breaks. We also do not get paid for bathroom breaks or any off phone time. . Anyone work for them and can tell me what I'm in for?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 23, 2011

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

man thats gross posted:

A bunch of illegal poo poo.

Most states it isn't required that you are paid for breaks. It's not even required that you are given a break. I don't know why everyone thinks otherwise.

Here is Wisconsin's law on it

quote:

Breaks and Meals

Employees under 18 years of age must receive at least a 30-minute duty free meal period when working a shift greater than 6 hours in duration. Breaks of shorter duration are not required. If an employer provides breaks of less than 30 consecutive minutes in duration, the break time will be counted as work time. Wisconsin law does not require that employers provide brief rest periods, coffee breaks or meal periods for adult employees, although the Department recommends, in Chapter DWD 274.02(2) of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, that employers do so. Employers are encouraged, but not required, to provide breaks of at least 30 minutes in duration at times reasonably close to the usual meal period. Such matters are to be determined directly between the employer and the employee.

Employers must pay employees for "on duty" meal periods. An "on duty" meal period is one where the worker is not provided at least 30 consecutive minutes free from work, or where the worker is not free to leave the employer’s premises. Employers may not deduct from a worker's wages for any time off of less than 30 consecutive minutes.

Though now that we don't get paid for bathroom breaks I feel that every time it gets busy I will just clock out. Not like they are paying me then anyway.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 31, 2010

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

TheBandOffice posted:

Requiring you to clock out for restroom breaks sounds illegal to me based on this line.

Well I just emailed the Labor Standards Bureau. Hopefully you are right.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Look who got an email!

quote:

Employers must pay employees for "on duty" meal periods. An "on duty" meal period is one where the worker is not provided at least 30 consecutive minutes free from work, or where the worker is not free to leave the employer’s premises. Employers may not deduct from a worker's wages for any time off of less than 30 consecutive minutes. Breaks that are 30 minutes or more may be unpaid as long as the employee is completely relieved of duty and free to leave the premises. In your situation, if during the restroom breaks you have at least 30 minutes off, then the employer does not have to pay you for that time. If you just get a quick restroom break of less than 30 minutes, then the employer has to pay you for that time.

quote:

If the employer allows you for at least a 30 minute break and you are allowed to leave the premises, then the employer can have you clock out and not pay you for that time.

If your break is for less than 30 minutes or you are not free to leave the premises, then they employer should pay you for that time. If the employer is not paying you for these "on-duty" breaks, then you may file a claim with us for those unpaid hours of work.

quote:

For the 30 minute break during which you're able to leave, that break can be unpaid.

For the restroom breaks, I assume that those breaks are for less than 30 minutes, so they have to be paid.

So now for step 2, once I figure out what step 2 is :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well it looks like my call center has changed to commission pay instead of hourly. We get .97 for each call taken, and .47 of every dollar in revenue. The thing is, is that by doing the math these numbers seem crazy high. For example, if I take 10 call an hour I am at 9.70 (I was getting 10.30/hr before) and that isn't even counting a sale. I work in retentions for a cable company, and saving someone with a promo is worth $100 so I will get $47. Now I seem to get 3-6 of these a day, and then there are also other dispositions worth other amounts (disco inquiry is worth $20 for example)

If these numbers they gave us are true, then I don't see how they can afford to do it. They say they were losing a lot of money before and doing it this way will weed out the people that don't work and reward the people that do.

The other thing is that before if you missed hours or failed a qa you wouldn't get bonus, but now that we are commission we do get the money. Also, if my generated revenue comes out to less then &7.25/hr then I get the 7.25 to abide with minimum wage laws.

These is kind of cool and something I tried to get them to do before as I feel that if an agent knows that each call = money instead of each hour they will work much harder. I used to sit in after call a lot, but now I won't be because I want the next call for more monies.

The downfall of all this is that I have no idea at all what my checks will look like each payday. I can't even say "I worked 40 hours so my minimum is 40*7.25" as we don't punch in ever, and are not clocked in during breaks/restroom time.

What is everyone's thoughts on running a call center based on commission vs hourly, and if anyone else gets paid on commission how they feel about it?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm pretty happy that we are getting commision now. I was wrong with my numbers before though, we get $1.02 per call and .04 cents to the dollar.

I was making $10.30/hr before but I am averaging about $17/hr now. I think it is retarded for any call center to pay based on hours. I work so much harder and better now that we get paid in commision. I usually work 8 hours a day and maybe 10 minutes of break all together (bathroom/getting coffee)

I've worked here for 4 years so I can easly take 8 calls an hour. For every customer that calls in upset on their cable rate and I give them a discount I make $4. I can easily do 2-3 of them an hour.

This place dicks me over a lot though, so I'll believe I'm getting paid this when I see my check. I can't wait though, and if I am getting paid $17/hr for this poo poo job I can see myself staying here for a very very long time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I am sure eventually things will change, but we will see. I doubt they would be mad about promos though because we can only give people $5 and sometimes $10 discounts and it is a retentions department.

Even if, we also do outbound calling, which I used to do all day long. If retentions turns to poo poo I will just do outbound where selling something like cable+internet+phone is worth $50.

I'm sure I won't make this much every day. I've worked here four years and understand that the winters suck and I will be making much less then.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well I got my first check under the new company. $980 for 60 hours= 16.33/hr not bad at all for a job with no college requirments at all. Got to say, if I keep making this much /hr I can see myself here for some time. Pretty happy, even though retention for time warner in new york isn't the worlds greatest job I am glad that it pays good now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sbaldrick posted:

The day I put in my notice, I've already decided I"m going to speak the whole day in a comical Spanish accent till they kick me out of the building.

You can't do this already? We can talk however we want as long as it isn't so crazy the customers call us out on it and as long as we can speak it during the entire call. I used to try out my southern accent all the time. My employer could care less, as long as I could sell while doing it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sbaldrick posted:

they would pretty much fire me if I did that. I got yelled at because my handle time is too low already, for only having done it for 5 weeks.

You work for a sex line or something? Usually most companies want a low handle time as it allows more customers to be talked to.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
drat really? We actually have/had team leads that just watch for calls over 7 minutes, and then run to that agent to try and assist them to end the call. Of course we are 30 deep in queue all day though.

I also get paid $1.35 per call, so like hell am I going to sit on each call for an extra five minutes for no reason at all.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I know some of you said that my employer switching from hourly pay to commision would suck, but man it's pretty awesome.

It sucks that I can't really know how much my check will be, but it motivates me a hell of a lot more. My job had an incentive on Friday. For people that don't work between 4-9 and come in will get paid 2x the regular per call rate.

We get $1.35/call + .04 cents out of each dollar for a sale. The .04 kind of sucks, but I can easly take 8-10 calls an hour.

So for a five hour shift on Friday, I made $140. Who said Customer Service doesn't pay?

I also started listening to some telesales podcasts that actually help with my sales. If I save a customer, it's worth $60x.04=$2.40 each customer I save.

poo poo adds up, and my checks have been a lot higher then when I got paid earlier. A lot of people here can't say the same though, and somehow only make minimum wage. I couldn't do that even if I tried.

I guess that is what 4+ years of this job will do for you. Finally paying off.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

alreadybeen posted:

Does it matter / do you guys appreciate if I hang around at the end of the call and answer the four question survey?

These surveys are funny, at least for my company. If someone calls sales, and gets transfered to me in retentions, the auto dialer sees the customer is off the sales calls, and calls them with the survey.

So I have to deal with people always saying "hey wait, why are you calling me?" in the first two minutes of the call.

I've also never had a manager come to me and say that I did good/bad on the survey. Hell, I don't even think my managers know that there is a survey at all.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So my employer decided today that regular agents are more then qualified to handle all calls, and have gotten rid of our escalations department.

Will be fun to see how customers react now when I tell them there isn't any supervisors for them to speak to.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mein Eyes! posted:

Hey phone sales goons, how should I respond to your calls when I'm not interested? I feel bad for the person on the line, and I know its a lovely job, so I usually just say I'm busy, apologize and hang up. Is there anything you poor fucks would rather hear?

Yeah doing this will guarantee that you get another call tomorrow. Just be kind and ask to be put on the do not call list, listen to them state the info about the do not call list, and then thank them.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JackRabbitStorm posted:

gently caress the end of call surveys.

Heh, these are funnny with my company because if someone calls into customer service, and needs to be transferred to my department (retentions) it see's that as an end to the first call and calls them with the survey.

Also, by the new year I think I will hit my 20,000 inbound call as I am at 19,955 right now. What have I done with my life :(

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 26, 2010

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JackRabbitStorm posted:

How many years is that? I take about 100 inbound calls a day a day on average, some days less, some more, but about 100 people a day, 20 working days a month, 2000 calls a month, been here 38 months so statistically I would have taken 76,000 inbound calls.

I feel your pain... what have we done with our lives.

A little over 4 years, but I'd say only 3 were inbound calls.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sbaldrick posted:

I gave away over 100k in credits in 7 months. I feel pretty happy, but not as much as one guy that gave away 400k

That would get me fired so drat fast.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

zelah posted:

I wish I could be put on hold every day. It means I'm getting paid to do nothing at all and there's nothing wrong with that.

I get paid per call and not by the hour so I just hang up after someone puts me on hold for more then two minutes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've asked coaches, I've asked my supe, I've asked coworkers: how the hell do I increase my call time? Do I put people on hold for no reason and take my breaks there? Do I make bullshit small talk about things they don't care about/I don't want to talk about?

I take my time on fun calls when someone is receptive and playful and wants to have a back and forth, you know how many calls that is? 1 out of 20.

I dunno what else to do, I'm already hiding my time between calls in other places, if they catch onto that, I'll have to quit for being too good? I dunno.

God I am glad I get paid per call and therefor have to strive to have super short calls. I am not one for talking, so I could never small talk with people to hit some special time.

What do you do? Work for a 1900 service where they want long calls?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
A friend that works at the same call center as myself made a song about our job over the weekend. I think that it is something that you will all enjoy

http://www.looperman.com/player.php?tid=106345

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Ugh.

What the gently caress is it with people always spelling their names. I don't need you to spell it, just say it. Or at least say it and spell it. And its not just people with weird names. I've had the name John spelled to me 3 times today.

Well to be fair, John can also be spelled as Jon. It is pretty annoying though when current customers do it as you have their name in front of you and are just verifying.

So starting this week the company that I work for (cable company) had my department stop taking retention calls and had us switch to sales/billing. Which in reality is billing/troubleshooting.

It is a nice break from retentions, but man people are just beyond dumb when it comes to hd tv's. 90% of my calls are people who call in screaming that their cable is out, when in reality they changed the input. They tell me they put it on channel 3 and are getting no picture. Most others call in upset that some channels have black bars on the sides.

If people would only take a few minutes to learn how to use what they are buying instead of just buying it because everyone else has one I would be a much happier person.

Also, the commision between the two departments is really bizzar to me. If I upgrade someone from just cable to cable/internet/phone in sales I make about $5. If I make one in billing, I get $85.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Maybe it is the way you are asking for it if you have that many people spelling it as I only have someone spell out their name maybe once a week.

Do you ask them to state their name?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Legally I think you are allowed to rebuttal twice when offering a single product.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 3, 2011

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
:) looks like we will need to schedule an appointment to get this resolved. My first available appointment is next Thursday.

:( you Don't have anything for tomorrow?

:smithicide:

This happens about 10 times a day.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
/\- This is why my facebook is completely hidden. Only way to see my posts or be my friend is if I ask you.

Heh my friend made a rap song about why our job sucks and posted in on his Facebook. He was gone a week later.

http://www.looperman.com/player.php?tid=106345

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Meh just sounds like most people when they start out as managers to me. All my managers who were employees have acted like that for the first few weeks.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any of you work in Verizon customer service and can confirm this?

quote:

Union officials say the field technicians and call center workers generally earn $60,000 to $77,000 before overtime, saying that benefits come to well under $50,000 a year."

Because, gently caress, I'd be happy to make half of that at the company I work for now. I don't even have any benefits :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I used to work in retention so I got the "lost a customer" thing a lot. They would call in yelling and telling me to close their account. Once I gave them a date and time they were like a deer in headlights. "I thought you would offer me a discount" Well you weren't asking for a discount now were you? They are just as bad as the "I hope this call is being recorded" people.

I had a guy today call in and his service was shut off due to non payment. He stated he made a payment and has proof from his bank. I advised him to bring it to the office and we can get it all sorted. At this point he brought up that he works for the fcc, the Federal Communications Commission and that he is recording the call. I tell him that is perfectly fine by me, and told him the procedure again. He then went on about how he will take down my company because he works for the fcc. He then went on about how billing a month in advance is illegal and just a way to build interest. Mind you I work for a huge cable company. I calmly explained what he needs to do, and then thanked him for his time.

These are my favorite calls. People just trying to get a rise out of me. I've worked here for over five years, I'm pretty sure your house could be burning down and you could have a burning dog inside and I'd still be just as calm.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
drat we get to make our own schedules where I work. Don't think I'd work there otherwise.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Working all consecutive days is a quick way to feel like you want to die.

Not when it's four 10 hour days. Three day weekends are awesome. You can actually take little mini vacations whenever you want.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You know what else is really rich, is the guys who stonewall and rant and waste tons of time, then complain that you're wasting their minutes. If they're so precious, how do you have so much time to bitch about them being wasted?

"This is my fourth call, and I've been on the phone for three hours today" Then they continue into a 20 minute story without allowing you to interrupt. It's usually a one minute story but they stretch it out and repeated it a few times.

Gee, I wonder?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Our QA is the same. I could honest not help a person at all on the phone, but as long as I say all their stupid key words and verification guidelines I pass.

From an agent standpoint it seems like what they should be looking for is if you resolved the customers issue, and how satisfied the customer was. Not how many times you say sorry.

I guess that is why I am just an agent and not a manager at all.

Oh the customer was really happy, and you resolved their issue in two minutes. To bad you forgot to get their zipcode, you fail!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Our QA will only listen to calls that are over a couple of minutes, and say under ten. So when I have people like that I blast through the call and it's not a problem.

Monday I actually took 20 calls an hour in cable troubleshooting. I hate doing it to people, but I get paid per call, and it is the only way I can make an ok wage.

"Hi my box doesn't work, says error blah blah"
"Ok, I'll reset it, just leave it alone for 10 minutes and check it again. Should be working for you. Anything else"

Most calls I just transfer though. We lost a few departments, and with the department I am in I am not able to do a lot of simple things like adding a discount, removing some services, troubleshooting phone or hsi. I'd say 60% of my calls I have to transfer.

But hey, $1.25 a call + the occasional sale commission isn't to bad I guess.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well it is base pay of $7.25/hr If my commission = more then that then I get commission, otherwise I get base pay. We do troubleshooting and sales. Troubleshooting is $1.25/call and then if you sell say phone I get $8. In sales I get 50 cents a call, and the commission is way less as well. Maybe $3 for selling phone.

I average between 14-20/hr with this system. Was making more until they reconfigured the payout and making sales worth less.

We also do outbound, and the payout is not per call but just per sale. I rarely do outbound, but when I do it is usually for new connect's which is $30-40 a sale. Not to hard to get 4+ of those in an 8 hour day.

And no I'm not stressed out that much. Yeah some checks I've gotten are pretty terrible, but I'm pretty good at saving money and like to have a few months worth in the bank in case of an emergency.

I'd hate to be like 80% of the people there and working paycheck to paycheck. Makes sense why they are so stressed out all the time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow you guys should hear the people that I'm talking to in the NY area. Worlds least understanding people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Effexxor posted:

I actually find Rhode Island, of all places, to be the worst. It never fails that people from RI are the pushy, bratty ones who talk down to me.

Hah, it's not really that though, it's that I work in cable troubleshooting and it amazes me how many people I talked to today that had no idea why their service is not working, and demanding an exact time of when it would be fixed.

I had one person say they bought a generator and have their fridge, cablebox, and tv connected to it. All that is important to them.

I had another lady say "I see trucks going to Jamaica all day long, where the colored people are, now explain that to me?"

You just got hit with a hurricane, shouldn't you be out trying to help your fellow neighbors instead of worrying about your cable tv being out.

They all wanted me to call them the minute it is fixed so they can watch their precious tv again.

I also had one guy from Arizona who was visiting his son in New York and mad that the us open didn't start at 9 in New York when that is the time it starts in Arizona. He told me that we delay it so that people will go watch it live. I had to explain to him for 10+ minutes how time zones work. Baffled his mind.