Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here work in a hospital switchboard? Is it hell or pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How dead-end?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some years ago I worked for a hotel chain reservation line, and right before Christmas they made the announcement that all of us were losing our jobs, since the call centers were closing and being outsourced to India. BUT we were asked not to quit right off because, and I quote, our replacements hadn't finished their training to speak 'street' English.

Of course a lot of people quit asap, but others I cubicle'd with found it more theraputic to tell all the callers that we were being outsourced to India.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Had an interview for the switchboard position. The lady stressed flexibility as a must and that working third shift I'd be by myself for most of it. The first lady at HR stressed I'd never be alone, ever, but she doesn't work in the center, obviously.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I can do the hospital switchboard thing. They haven't even offered me a place yet, but thinking over the interview, the lady was clear that I would be working alone, no lunches, bathroom breaks if I couldn't hold it for eight hours, and I might work four days of graveyard and then a day or two of second shift and the next week could be first, who knows.

She took me in to the switchboard room too, and introduced me to a girl who was working away. Graveyard shift, so she started at 11:30pm. It was now nearly 10am and she was taking more calls since no one else had come in.

I seriously don't think I could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My mom works from home right now (I hope all call center people do) and her work headset is this POS with a super short cord. Would pretty much any headset, USB powered and cordless, work for her to get a little mobility when otherwise tethered to the computer?