Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I heard something about signing up for some newsletter and getting the suit and tie that John is wearing on the cover of the game as a skin. Is there any truth to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

What's the best handgun and where do you get it?

I like the High Powered Pistol, which is given to you in West Elizabeth. Also after you're finished with Mexico the gun store by the DeSanta missions sells the LeMat.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

That Awful Nick posted:

Yeah, when I heard him shout "It's Herbert Moooooooooon" for the first time I assumed at first that Herbert Moon was some famous bandit or something and that he was the one who had robbed him (the shopkeeper, that is). Then he continued with "I'm Herbert Moon! I've just been robbed!" and I was just like "Ohhh. Gotcha. You're gonna be like that ain'tcha. Okey dokey." Such an interesting but ultimately repetitive encounter. I've just started shooting the bandit instead of lassoing him. I've got more important poo poo to do than guard the valuables of some incompetent anti-Semitic shopkeeper who, despite my returning his money near on a hundred times now, has yet to give me anything better than a 50% discount.
After about the tenth time, I just shot Herbert in the head with one of the close-up under the chin animations. It was very satisfying. Stupid bigot, always spreading rumors about Jewish people and me.

EDIT: More like Herbert Boom.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Captain Charisma posted:

What's the best handgun and where do you get it?

The answer is the Double Action Revolver because a real cowboy doesn't use any of those fancy magazine fed pistols.
:arghfist: :clint:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Marston went to the movies in Blackwater. While he was watching up from the balcony he got a hankerin for a smoke, so he lit one up and casually tossed the match on the floor. Once he was done enjoying his fine tobacco, he flicked the butt over the balcony.

And I couldn't stop laughing.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

I heard something about signing up for some newsletter and getting the suit and tie that John is wearing on the cover of the game as a skin. Is there any truth to this?

Yeah, you need to sign up for Rockstar Social Club for it. If you haven't you should because you get cool challenges to do as well.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Scar Trek posted:

The best tip I recieved for this game yet:

Never fast travel unless you have a real good reason. Every single ride between towns ends up being it's own adventure.

This is the truest thing that can be said about this game. I've had the game since the weekend before it came out and I haven't fast traveled once. I would imagine that fast traveling turns this game into one long annoying cutscene broken up by bits of doing lovely jobs for people. The real game is played between the destinations (or at the poker tables).

AnonymousToast
Jun 12, 2007
Hamlord in Chief
Hopefully this is the right place to ask about this.

I picked up a used copy of RDR this afternoon, brought it home and threw it in the 360 for a test drive. The following problems occurred after multiple resets.

- The opening cutscene froze with Marston standing at the loading platfrom of a train station.
- The loading screen loaded forever, with no black-and-red pictures popping up.
- Hop on the horses for the first mission, follow the old bastard out to the train, dialogue doesn't start, my horse loses its gallop animation and start slideshowing its way across the open desert, melting into the ground the whole way. Can dismount but cannot move on foot, can only keep stuttering across the world. Pause menu does not appear.
- Get to the fort for the first mission, no dialogue, no loading screen. Pause menu does not appear.

Each of these issues happened at least twice before I took my copy back to the store and paid the difference for a new one.

Which did the same drat thing.

When I rented Episodes from Liberty City the other day, similar issues came up, resulting in unplayability.

My 360 has been kind of finicky lately, with the disk drive not always opening unless I do a manual release, and not staying closed unless I give it just a teeny nudge right as it shuts.

As a control group, I tested Mass Effect 2, Burnout Paradise, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Star Wars: Jedi Academy. None of them had any issues at all.

So what the gently caress, is my console allergic to Rockstar? Can anyone help me? I'd hate to drive all the way back to that middle-of-buttfuck-nowhere Gamestop again.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Beastie posted:

The answer is the Double Action Revolver because a real cowboy doesn't use any of those fancy magazine fed pistols.
:arghfist: :clint:

:clint::hf::clint:

That's what I'm talking about. Let's ride.

Seriously though, a double-action revolver is probably one of the most significant advancements in personal firearms up to the advent of magazine-fed handguns, since it overcomes the slower ROF of previous revolvers.

I'm no expert

e2: Quoting for those who might have missed it in THE OLD THREAD~

muscles like this? posted:

Finished Mexico today and celebrated by watching The Proposition (since it's on Netflix Instant Watch and in HD.)

My favorite gun in the game so far is the Double Action Revolver.

gently caress yes. Thank you. I've heard all about it in THE OLD THREAD but now I can watch it! :woop:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 28, 2010

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Step One: Take the power cable out of your Xbox, and Unplug it from the wall.

Step Two: Take the plug end of the cord and tie it around the rest of the cord in a sliding knot.

Step Three: Fasten Other end of cord to a sturdy Roof Beam

Step Four: Place Chair beneath the loop in your Cord.

Step Five: Place head in loop of cord.

Step Six: Remove chair with a firm kick.

Enjoy!

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I've got glitches too.

When I got to Black Water my horse's galloping animation stopped and just started floating in the air while glitching forward. It fixed its self after a few seconds but it was pretty weird.

Also once when I was going for cover there was a dead body next to it which for some reason propelled me into the air, having me fall down and dying.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Also, OP is missing awesome westerns (movies) suggestions that everyone was sharing in THE OLD THREAD, imo.

e: that said, have we also already noticed that John Hillcoat (director of The Proposition) is the director of the RDR short this weekend? :woop:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 28, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
just buy it on ps3 i guess hurr hurr hurr

Seriously though GTA4 does all those things on my 360 as well as on a friend of mines'. He called MS about it and they said it was a known issue with a lot of 360s playing GTA4 and they replaced his system, fixed it all good, probably effects RDR too.

I just got both games on PS3 instead.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I guess I'll give my game rundown since it's a new thread. Just to preface this, I have been F5ing every game site since last year for news on this game, I have every video released saved onto a thumb drive to watch on my TV through my PS3, I preordered it in FULL July 09, etc etc...basically I was lusting after this game.

First I'll nitpick, things I think could have been changed/been better:

-ENDGAME JACK'S loving VOICE!
-I wish pressing fire while not aiming would shoot into the air
-Not enough secrets/easter eggs, hardly any references. I was hoping for really cool poo poo to explore, but eventually the missions would take me to every landmark. I wanted more to find. Hell, how many more copies did Just Cause 2 sell just because of cool poo poo like the Lost island?
-No Merchant outfit yet :(
-Wish you could incite duels without having to cheat at poker
-Random encounters get old after a while, and you know exactly what will happen.
-The glitches suck (though I haven't hardly experienced any), and it sucks how sometimes when you're indoors or peeking out a window/broken slats (think Tumbleweed), the NPCs and such are invisible. It made shooting people through the decrepit buildings and walls in Tumbleweed annoying.

Things I loved more than anything:

-Treasure maps. More games need to cut the cord and let us figure poo poo out ourselves. I know there are too many dumb fucks out there, but screw them. I wish there was more maps, hopefully they do some more in DLC or something.
-Marston in general, he was the poo poo. Love the "just kidding" part with MacDougal.
-Stranger quests, I love extra poo poo like this.
-TUMBLEWEED is the best place ever, the first shootout I had there I felt like I was in a movie.
-The weather, the immersion, the sound, everything was perfect. Nothing like being stuck in Tall Trees during a stormy windy night, evading bears and wolves.

All in all, this MIGHT be my favorite game of all time. I won't say for sure until some time goes by, but it's just incredible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So any news on when the next Social Club challenges will start?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So I was up north finally and I saw this AMAZING black horse just outracing the herd so I finally managed to grab it and break it in.. I get off my new horse to do a mission but I accidentally whistle to call my old horse...with whom I've been playing most of the game. So I'm in new, awesome horse when the old horse shows up all like.. Following me around sadly now... Stupid game making me feel bad for my mode of transportation. :(

Also earlier I left my black horse on the road to hop into a stolen wagon and take it bcak to its owner and when I came back I found a dead body next to the horse and a cowboy hat resting gently at its feet. Like I was gone for a minute and this horse finds a way to commit a murder.

I think my horse is cursed. :smith:

loving FAST, though. Oh my god I got from Tall Trees to Rio Bravo in basically no time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Alright so a moral conundrum: The only "non-endgame" save I have is in Mexico, deep in the middle of the Luisa/Reyes/Mexican Army mission triangle. All I really want to do is unlock Blackwater (and maybe get a high power pistol, but it's not needed), but other than that, I just want fully unlocked free roam (and I have to work for my goddamned Legend of the West coat again :bahgawd:). There's really little left for me to do in Single Player but goddamn it, immersion-wise I might be happy.

Should I do it? I'm afraid that if I go through Mexico again I'll resent the game...what do I do? :sigh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rei_ posted:

So I was up north finally and I saw this AMAZING black horse just outracing the herd so I finally managed to grab it and break it in.. I get off my new horse to do a mission but I accidentally whistle to call my old horse...with whom I've been playing most of the game. So I'm in new, awesome horse when the old horse shows up all like.. Following me around sadly now... Stupid game making me feel bad for my mode of transportation. :(

Also earlier I left my black horse on the road to hop into a stolen wagon and take it bcak to its owner and when I came back I found a dead body next to the horse and a cowboy hat resting gently at its feet. Like I was gone for a minute and this horse finds a way to commit a murder.

I think my horse is cursed. :smith:

loving FAST, though. Oh my god I got from Tall Trees to Rio Bravo in basically no time.

American Standardbred. You can now buy a contract for one, since you've broken one in. Personally I think I still prefer the Hungarian Halfbreed simply because while it's not as fast as the American and not as Agile as the Kentucky, it can take a goddamn beating. I've jumped that thing off cliffs that would have made the Kentucky basically explode, and she takes it in stride and just keeps going like it's nothing.

I will say that the Standardbred looks loving AMAZING in the rain... first time I rode into West Elizabeth, I was riding across Dillon Crossing to Blackwater and it was a stormy dusk. I'm passing the buffalo and looking out across the plains and I see this pack of wild horses just flying across the plain in a group, with this one black one darting in and out of the group, basically trotting circles around them. Had to have it. Chased her for a solid mile, finally getting her to hold steady long enough for me to jump on and break her in... then I trot her to Blackwater and marvel at the detail of teh rain glistening on her black fur.

This game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
So if you buy a horse contract, is that horse always available to you, or are you just buying a horse?

Raddest
Jul 18, 2007
Raddest Bastard Alive

Cantorsdust posted:

So if you buy a horse contract, is that horse always available to you, or are you just buying a horse?

The horse contract (deed) is always on your persons and isn't consumed on use. When using it, you dismiss your current horse, and the next time you whistle, the horse you summoned from your deed will come. While your ex horse wonders around aimlessly, I'm guessing he/she joins the circus for a better, more up beat life.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Spitshine posted:

Seriously though, a double-action revolver is probably one of the most significant advancements in personal firearms up to the advent of magazine-fed handguns, since it overcomes the slower ROF of previous revolvers.

I'm no expert

It was. It looks like a Colt Police Positive, which for the time was also a step up in power in terms of muzzle velocity. Fired faster, reloaded faster, had a faster projectile. But real men use .45 Colt dammit. Or .44-40.

Also, here's some cheats and their effects I found with a modded save. No details on how to unlock them or the phrase needed; some are known some are social club unlocks and poo poo:

Again more end game poo poo, but I used some gizmo that lets you edit 360 save games. Enabled all cheats and got these in game:
Invincibility - hurrr, disables itself after a while?
Infinite Dead Eye - hurrr
Infinite horse stamina -hurrr
Infinite ammo - hurrr
Every shot counts - your gun kills in one hit
Rubber horse - ?
Money - $500
Donkey rider - spawn a donkey
Horse - spawn your horse
Coach - spawn a coach
Diplomatic immunity - no law enforcement
Increase bounty - hurrr
Decrease bounty - hurrr
Gun set 1 - springfield rifle, double barreled shotgun, volcanic pistol,
gun set 2 - buffalo rifle, fire bottle, sawed off shotgun, semi-auto pistol
gun set 3 - henry repeater, rolling block rifle, pump action shotgun, dynamite, high power pistol
gun set 4 - bolt action rifle, carcano, throwing knife, semi-auto shotgun, mauser pistol
punchout - instakill punch
famous - max fame
who? - no fame
good guy - max honor
bad guy - max infamy
so-so guy - neutral fame
change weather - hurrr, turn on repeatedly to cycle weather (Clear, cloudy/green tint in atmosphere, rain, thunderstorm, snow)
beastmaster - animals attracted to you (tested at macfarlane's ranch, two horses ran up to me)
hitchcock - ?
old school - sepia
guns blazing - gunshots catch on fire, random effect/disables after a while?
hic - drunkenness until disabled
sharp dressed man - elegant suit?
man in uniform "You cannot enable this cheat during any activity."
gang chic - bollard twins outfit, treasure hunter outfit, bandito outfit, reyes rebels outfit,
lewis and clark
jack attack kinda end game-ish I suppose, play as jack (irreversible loving lame)
right to bear arms - ?
rise up - riot?
dead eye 1-3 - hurrr
15 blanks that can be enabled/disabled, DLC?
Nothing for what you, me, and probably many others want :\

However, Rise Up IS in fact some sort of riot mode. I was getting shot up at Bonnie's ranch :o

Quake Williams
Feb 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Alright, this rifle animation bullshit needs to be patched immediately. When you're in cover and you shoot a guy, they loving programmed it so you stay standing up another second. That's killed me at least 5 times now. Retards.
That's because John is pulling the bolt back on the rifle to eject the spent cartridge. It was intentionally made to expose you more than the other guns in its category do. It's a tradeoff, see - The Rifles are significantly more powerful than the Repeaters, but it offers less protection when behind cover. It's got to do with this theory about making sure all your weapons are functionally around the same level of usefulness so one isn't used favorably over the others in every situation - like the weapons are all "balanced," if you will.

Quake Williams fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 28, 2010

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Been messing around singleplayer and finally want to get some multi going. Also, I have only 2 PSN friends and niether own the game. Add/Invite AngryAvatar on PS3 if you need someone to fill up a game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
How do I replay missions? I beat the game (I want the 'use the horse 20 times' achievement).

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

Yup. Join the rockstar social club (don't even have to sign up for emails!) and you'll get the Elegant Suit, which lets you play 250$ ante games of Poker in blackwater.

It looks -drat- dapper, near Fauntleroy dapper.

End of game:
I was looting a female bandit's corpse as Jack when he said "I wanted to be a writer!" It was utterly heartbreaking. :(
My brother was beating up women in Fort Mercer, and Jack said some absolutely hilarious things. "I hope mom doesn't see this" when he started punching, and "your husband's not gonna recognize you!" at the end.

After beating Twin Rocks and saving the farmer's daughter, he said "I am a Marston!" :)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 28, 2010

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Raddest posted:

The horse contract (deed) is always on your persons and isn't consumed on use. When using it, you dismiss your current horse, and the next time you whistle, the horse you summoned from your deed will come. While your ex horse wonders around aimlessly, I'm guessing he/she joins the circus for a better, more up beat life.

That's not what happens. You know what happens. He's cougar bait.

Nice job leaving your horse to die, jerk.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^If you catch a new horse in the wild though you can just whistle and have your old horse follow you to civilization.^

Just want to make sure, with the exception of I Know You, there are no Stranger Missions you miss out on if you wait for the endgame, right?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Capn Beeb posted:

No details on how to unlock them or the phrase needed;
A lot of cheat phrases are written around the game world. The money cheat is painted on the wall inside a mine, there's another one written somewhere in Sepulcro.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pitch posted:

A lot of cheat phrases are written around the game world. The money cheat is painted on the wall inside a mine, there's another one written somewhere in Sepulcro.

A lot of them are at the bottom of the "Miscellany" section in the paper.

Raddest
Jul 18, 2007
Raddest Bastard Alive

Universe Master posted:

That's not what happens. You know what happens. He's cougar bait.

Nice job leaving your horse to die, jerk.

:unsmith: Heh hehe .. .heh. You're right. :smith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Morter posted:

Alright so a moral conundrum: The only "non-endgame" save I have is in Mexico, deep in the middle of the Luisa/Reyes/Mexican Army mission triangle. All I really want to do is unlock Blackwater (and maybe get a high power pistol, but it's not needed), but other than that, I just want fully unlocked free roam (and I have to work for my goddamned Legend of the West coat again :bahgawd:). There's really little left for me to do in Single Player but goddamn it, immersion-wise I might be happy.

Should I do it? I'm afraid that if I go through Mexico again I'll resent the game...what do I do? :sigh:

Go for it. To be honest Mexico wasn't too bad if you just fast travel everywhere. The wide open space sucks though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Pitch posted:

Yeah that's what I mean when I said some of the phrases are already known :) Apparently invincibility and flaming bullets turning themselves off is a glitch and not some retarded intentional nonsense.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Is there any code for the guns blazin' cheat? I haven't gotten around to doing the social challenge, and I'd hate to get locked out of it when a new challenge comes out. Or can multiple challenges be up at once?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well having beaten the storyline, tried to go back, been unable to, tried being desperado, deciding it sucked, writing a very lengthy post about it and then deleting it, my final conclusion is that there are two types of people who play these games: some people like storylines, some people like cheating and screwing around and making up their own games. Neither of those views is right or wrong, but I think that the way it ended (including the last few missions) catered way too much towards the people who like the storylines considering that this is an open-world game with potentially infinite replay value for the latter group, and if they'd ended it earlier it would have worked just fine for both groups.

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
Has anyone had luck in the Free Roam mode of Multiplayer? It seems that every time I try to play it, I can't even last all of 15 seconds before I'm shot down by another player.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
So I tried replaying missions in order to get the Spurred To Victory trophy, but I did 25 replays with no success. I used the fastest mission I could think of (Pestilence, where you shoot the crows away from the corn) and it saved after each one, but I never got it. I can only assume the mission just doesn't count.

Has anyone gotten it from replaying missions, and which ones did you do?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Epic moment: going after my first bounty of the game. I waste his gang, and then go after him. He's outpacing me by a fair amount, and I finally catch up to him going up a steep hill on horse. Sick of the chase, I just fire a few rounds off the cuff at him.

Him and the horse roll down the loving hill making all sorts of grunting noises. At the bottom of the hill he gets up, steals my horse, and manages to make it a few feet before I plug the horse, then him.

This loving game. The bitch of it was that I was going to take him alive and thought putting three to four bullets through his legs would work since it did for the first sheriff mission.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Epic moment: going after my first bounty of the game. I waste his gang, and then go after him. He's outpacing me by a fair amount, and I finally catch up to him going up a steep hill on horse. Sick of the chase, I just fire a few rounds off the cuff at him.

Him and the horse roll down the loving hill making all sorts of grunting noises. At the bottom of the hill he gets up, steals my horse, and manages to make it a few feet before I plug the horse, then him.

This loving game. The bitch of it was that I was going to take him alive and thought putting three to four bullets through his legs would work since it did for the first sheriff mission.

For future reference, if someone steals your horse just press up on the d-pad to whistle for the horse. It'll buck the horse thief off and come running back to you. Don't shoot the poor horse!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Fuzz posted:

American Standardbred. You can now buy a contract for one, since you've broken one in. Personally I think I still prefer the Hungarian Halfbreed simply because while it's not as fast as the American and not as Agile as the Kentucky, it can take a goddamn beating. I've jumped that thing off cliffs that would have made the Kentucky basically explode, and she takes it in stride and just keeps going like it's nothing.

I will say that the Standardbred looks loving AMAZING in the rain... first time I rode into West Elizabeth, I was riding across Dillon Crossing to Blackwater and it was a stormy dusk. I'm passing the buffalo and looking out across the plains and I see this pack of wild horses just flying across the plain in a group, with this one black one darting in and out of the group, basically trotting circles around them. Had to have it. Chased her for a solid mile, finally getting her to hold steady long enough for me to jump on and break her in... then I trot her to Blackwater and marvel at the detail of teh rain glistening on her black fur.

This game.
Can you explain lassoing to me? drat thign seems buggy as gently caress it always randomly just stops having them roped and I have to throw it five more times. I am pretty sure that's not how a lasso worked.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
As much as I like RDR, the one thing I will forever hate about that game is its complete retarded cover system.

Any cover system that sometimes does not allow me to draw my gun is loving stupid and should not be in the game. Make it perfect, or take it out. I can't tell you guys how many times I've come out of cover to fix it, and because the out of combat walking controls are horrendous, I've walked around like I have buckets on my feet, only to be shot in the back of the head.

Bum the Sad posted:

Can you explain lassoing to me? drat thign seems buggy as gently caress it always randomly just stops having them roped and I have to throw it five more times. I am pretty sure that's not how a lasso worked.

Are you holding LT? Even after 30 hours with the game I still don't know if you need to, but it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Bum the Sad posted:

You hold left trigger to to aim, press right trigger to fire. Once you've lassoed your target just keep holding left trigger to keep them lassoed. You can drag them around this way.

• Locked thread