Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Lothire posted:

Having started a new game, I managed to obtain the trophy from start up to the 21st mission. Specifics: I did everything I could up 'till Nigel Dickson, did three of his which unlocked both Seth and Irish missions. Did all of Seth, then on the final Irish mission, obtained the trophy. I had died twice along the way, used a wagon fast-travel twice and fast traveled by camp a few times.

It's strange, because on my first game, I never hitched a new horse starting from mexico on 'till the end, but I lost a few, broke a few horses but only ever summoned new ones with deeds. Either those things break the "no hitch" deal, or it's something only obtainable when you've beaten the game.

I got that achievement on my first game, using the Kentucky Saddler you get from Bonnie. Same set of missions you did, but I never broke a horse in the wild or did anything to switch ownership from my Saddler.

Then he got bit by a rattlesnake in Mexico and died while I was picking flowers. :(

Deeds are probably what hosed you over, even though it's the same type of horse I think the game considers it to be a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just went to do Pike's Basin challenge and it tells me the guy in 1st did it in 00:00. Way cool dude.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got a bird shooting challenge in Mexico, to kill 4 of them in the time limit, but I shoot down all five that appear and it only counts 1 or 2. Is it because I used Deadeye? I retried and didn't but it still didn't count them all. So I shot the guy in the head.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

BizarroAzrael posted:

I got a bird shooting challenge in Mexico, to kill 4 of them in the time limit, but I shoot down all five that appear and it only counts 1 or 2. Is it because I used Deadeye? I retried and didn't but it still didn't count them all. So I shot the guy in the head.

He was a cheat!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I think I should add my experience with the Stranger mission from God/Satan/Death/whoever gives a gently caress.

Anyway the whole time he's got this :smug: as gently caress demeanor like he knows everything about you and is generally kind of an all-knowing rear end that seems to feel like he's in control of everything.

As I'm sure you guys know there's shitloads of wildlife in this game, perhaps too much in places as hunting bears usually gets you raped by more bears after you're skinning the initial 4 bears you killed.

But anyhow, after the second part of the mission this God/Satan/Death stranger smugly tells me to help out, or not help out a nun, after the cutscene breaks his icey-cool temperance is shattered by a pack of wolves.

Seeing such a confident and ice-cold pompus rear end go "OH JESUS gently caress" and full sprint in terror from native wildlife was glorious.

Come to think of wolves have ruined (but not really ruined) two stranger missions for me. The other was the guy with the flying machine. On the second leg of the mission he's standing right by a cliff. As I was running up to him with all the supplies I collected he was attacked by wolves and fell to his death off the cliff. Which ultimately made no difference in the story but I still had to come back later after he respawned.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

So what are the chances they're just saying there won't be a PC version to get everyone to buy it on the consoles first, I dunno, to tackle piracy or somesuch, and we will get a (hopefully not half-assed) PC port later on down the line?

Please, Rockstar, I'll buy it on Steam (in a sale), I promise.

Stoicinema
Sep 17, 2008
Can someone explain the dead-eye system to me here? I've gotten to the stage rather early on in the game where you can paint targets on your foes with the reticule, in the second West-Dickens mission, but I find this method infinitely annoying. Once I get into dead-eye I always accidentally paint a target where I don't want it to be before my reticule reaches the part I actually want to shoot. What's the deal with that? Is there some way of switching this off? Like hitting a button to paint a target?

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Stoicinema posted:

Is there some way of switching this off? Like hitting a button to paint a target?
That's the next level of deadeye, and for now you'll just have to deal with it. Sorry.

Stoicinema
Sep 17, 2008
That's more of a nuisance than anything. Apart from that I am quite satisfied with the overall package!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, really confused about the "I Know You" Stranger mission (spoilered since it should be major):

Alright, so I am really early in the game still since I've just been working on Challenges and bounties to increase my income. I randomly find this guy in a top hat on a cliff over by Bonnie's Ranch who claims he knows me from when I was in the Van Der whatever gang. He asks me to go after his friend in Thieves' Landing who is going to be cheating on his wife.

Sure enough, when I get to the saloon in Thieves' Landing, there's this guy who is flirting with a prostitute. I am given the option to either encourage the man (at the expense of $15) or get him to knock it off.

Being the honorable John Marston, I told him to knock it off.

Then... That was it. The "I Know You" mission complete. No further continuation. Nothing.

What's going on? Is my game glitched or am I just too early in the game to see any continuation?

Is there something wrong here? Please do not spoil anything beyond this, if you can help it.

Also, I haven't unlocked any additional land yet, but is it possible to find bears in the starting areas to work on the Sharpshooter challenges?

Just wondering.

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen

OrangeGuy posted:

Okay, really confused about the "I Know You" Stranger mission (spoilered since it should be major):

Alright, so I am really early in the game still since I've just been working on Challenges and bounties to increase my income. I randomly find this guy in a top hat on a cliff over by Bonnie's Ranch who claims he knows me from when I was in the Van Der whatever gang. He asks me to go after his friend in Thieves' Landing who is going to be cheating on his wife.

Sure enough, when I get to the saloon in Thieves' Landing, there's this guy who is flirting with a prostitute. I am given the option to either encourage the man (at the expense of $15) or get him to knock it off.

Being the honorable John Marston, I told him to knock it off.

Then... That was it. The "I Know You" mission complete. No further continuation. Nothing.

What's going on? Is my game glitched or am I just too early in the game to see any continuation?

Is there something wrong here? Please do not spoil anything beyond this, if you can help it.

Also, I haven't unlocked any additional land yet, but is it possible to find bears in the starting areas to work on the Sharpshooter challenges?

Just wondering.

It's not over and it's not broken. Just keep playing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Here's how I play liar's dice. I don't even loving look at the dice for my first bet and I always say 2 sixes, I'm not sure, I should check, but 3 sixes might work too. I know they won't call the bluff for 2. Anyway this forces them to say they have 3 of something, and usually they get called out on it or by the time it gets back to you it's flat out ridiculous, unless your dice indicate that they might be right. It gets really bad once you've whittled them down to just a few dice and they still won't call you out on the sixes. I feel like they'd call you out on three, but maybe not at the start when you have 5 dice.

Also I feel like I saw something written or carved somewhere that might be the beastmaster cheat (it wasn't the one for the horse spawn, I already got that one). I'll go look for it later but it might be nothing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Stoicinema posted:

Can someone explain the dead-eye system to me here? I've gotten to the stage rather early on in the game where you can paint targets on your foes with the reticule, in the second West-Dickens mission, but I find this method infinitely annoying. Once I get into dead-eye I always accidentally paint a target where I don't want it to be before my reticule reaches the part I actually want to shoot. What's the deal with that? Is there some way of switching this off? Like hitting a button to paint a target?
Yeah, it's REALLY frustrating. Does the next level of Dead Eye open up depending on what story mission you're on?

Cactus posted:

So what are the chances they're just saying there won't be a PC version to get everyone to buy it on the consoles first...
Pretty much. It'll most likely be on PC eventually, just like a year later like GTA4.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stoicinema posted:

That's more of a nuisance than anything. Apart from that I am quite satisfied with the overall package!

Don't forget that if you do happen to paint a target you didn't intend, clicking the stick again will cancel out of Dead Eye without shooting anyone.

Last night I found out that Rio del Lobo is aptly named. Christ.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, it's REALLY frustrating. Does the next level of Dead Eye open up depending on what story mission you're on?

Yes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I accidentally spoiled myself with "I Know You," but the final time you meet him is so loving awesome that it didn't even matter

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I asked this in the last thread, sorry if it was answered but it would have been buried in the thread somewhere:

I failed a stranger mission through terrible timing of a gang hideout respawn. Now that I've failed, what are my options? Can I redo it or am I poo poo out of luck?

Also on the mission where you first enter Mexico on the raft I managed to run out of ammo completely in my repeater and pistol, even after reloading from the box at the back of the raft, mostly through taking potshots at people way too far away.

Last bullet in my gun killed the last guy in the mission. That was a badass moment. :smug:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Brightman posted:

Here's how I play liar's dice. I don't even loving look at the dice for my first bet and I always say 2 sixes, I'm not sure, I should check, but 3 sixes might work too. I know they won't call the bluff for 2. Anyway this forces them to say they have 3 of something, and usually they get called out on it or by the time it gets back to you it's flat out ridiculous, unless your dice indicate that they might be right. It gets really bad once you've whittled them down to just a few dice and they still won't call you out on the sixes. I feel like they'd call you out on three, but maybe not at the start when you have 5 dice.

Also I feel like I saw something written or carved somewhere that might be the beastmaster cheat (it wasn't the one for the horse spawn, I already got that one). I'll go look for it later but it might be nothing.
I feel like the AI for liar's dice is very inferior to that of poker and blackjack. I've only lost one game and it was because I wasn't paying attention and didn't know what I was doing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I asked this in the last thread, sorry if it was answered but it would have been buried in the thread somewhere:

I failed a stranger mission through terrible timing of a gang hideout respawn. Now that I've failed, what are my options? Can I redo it or am I poo poo out of luck?

He'll respawn. I assume it was Funny Man?

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
As much as I like this game, I've got one complaint. The opening cutscene was so god drat over-the-top "painting the picture of ignorant people" that I was very worried about the writing in this game. Even though the rest of the story has been fine, that train ride into town left a bad taste in my mouth. I usually have no problem with Rockstar's writing.

Someone mentioned this very thing on the Giant Bomb podcast and I was so drat excited that I wasn't the only one.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Zero Karizma posted:

As much as I like this game, I've got one complaint. The opening cutscene was so god drat over-the-top "painting the picture of ignorant people" that I was very worried about the writing in this game. Even though the rest of the story has been fine, that train ride into town left a bad taste in my mouth. I usually have no problem with Rockstar's writing.

Someone mentioned this very thing on the Giant Bomb podcast and I was so drat excited that I wasn't the only one.

I felt just as sketchy as you did about it when I first played, but quickly forgot :)

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Zero Karizma posted:

Those people still exist you know.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Zero Karizma posted:

over-the-top "painting the picture of ignorant people"

Zero Karizma posted:

I usually have no problem with Rockstar's writing.

..I dunno man. You pretty much described Rockstar's writing.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
MORE END GAME SPOILERS:

The funny man (I think that's what its called) delivery mission is interesting because the British guy tells you it took you a long time to deliver his opium (3 years), but the dude your father buys the prostitute from, when confronted, acts like you are the one who bought her freedom. Jack or whatever his name is even says he wants HIS money back.

Yeah, I basically did no side missions till after the ending.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Captain Charisma posted:

He'll respawn. I assume it was Funny Man?

It was not. It was the one where you go to Tumbleweed to find some guy's "girlfriend" only to find out that it's a horse. The woman and the horse started following me, then as we were walking out through the town, the Tumbleweed hideout started, guys spawned all around us (which was the first time I'd seen guys ACTUALLY respawn in the game, which was weird) and instantly shot her dead.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Oh god Eva in Peril :smith:

Best stranger mission in the game I think. The ending is simultaneously tragic and badass.

She's a god-dame feelthy whore!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

KungfooMF posted:

Best stranger mission in the game I think. The ending is simultaneously tragic and badass.

She's a god-dame feelthy whore!

The only thing missing from that mission's end was shooting him into a grave like Angel Eyes

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Rei_ posted:

..I dunno man. You pretty much described Rockstar's writing.

Yeah, but it just seemed... I dunno extra sloppy that time. And it was meant to convey the entire atmosphere of the game.

For instance, I actually did think that GTAIV had a really good story. (assuming you didn't spend all your in-between mission time slaughtering hookers and driving down the sidewalk.) But the opening to RDR didn't feel like Vlad and Roman's over-the-top bullshit. It felt like the opening to Bully. The difference is that Bully was completely kidding around and letting you know that "oh yeah, let's have fun with high school stereotypes!" :wink:

RDR on the other hand takes itself pretty seriously (for the most part), so it seemed a bit out of place for me.

But the rest of the writing has been fine, so it evened out. I had some serious dread walking in though!

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
How do you "win" blackjack, for 100%? I'm the only one at the table, what am I supposed to do?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

How do you "win" blackjack, for 100%? I'm the only one at the table, what am I supposed to do?
Quit when you have more chips than when you started. You don't play blackjack against anyone except the dealer, so you can't "win"

ohrus
Aug 6, 2008

There is a war between the ones who say "there is a war" and the ones who say "there isn't."

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Leave the table once you've made any amount of profit.

Got my 2000 chip achievement during the poker game with the German. No wonder he accused me of cheating!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It was not. It was the one where you go to Tumbleweed to find some guy's "girlfriend" only to find out that it's a horse. The woman and the horse started following me, then as we were walking out through the town, the Tumbleweed hideout started, guys spawned all around us (which was the first time I'd seen guys ACTUALLY respawn in the game, which was weird) and instantly shot her dead.

Oh yeah. I failed that one the first time by thinking you had to get on her horse. I was immediately shot to death

Quake Williams
Feb 1, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

I think I should add my experience with the Stranger mission from God/Satan/Death/whoever gives a gently caress.

Anyway the whole time he's got this :smug: as gently caress demeanor like he knows everything about you and is generally kind of an all-knowing rear end that seems to feel like he's in control of everything.
"I Know You" Stranger and Possible End Game spoilers:

You know, as I keep thinking about it, I am leaning towards The Mysterious Stranger being God.

In their first encounter, he responds to John asking who he was by questioning if John remember's Hattie McCourt, a girl murdered by Dutch in the same botched job that ended up with Marston eating a bullet and almost dying, eventually turning away from the gang as a result. When John says that he doesn't recall Hattie, The Mysterious Stranger replies, "Then why would you remember me, friend? You've forgotten far more important people than me."

This line is pretty heavily implying that The Mysterious Stranger wants John to feel remorse for such things like the wrongful death of an innocent girl, a sentiment I wouldn't think that the Devil or Death would have. It seems to me, considering that he mentions that Hattie died during the same robbery that John got shot on, that The Mysterious Stranger is trying to imply that John is being selfish in his actions and not realizing the actual nature of his past. This is evidenced by how he only talks about how his gang left him to die when he discusses why he left, and how he constantly refers to their supposed Robin Hood-esque moral code for their heists, respectively. The Mysterious Stranger knows what is going to ultimately happen to John, and he knows that it's a result of his past. But he also seems to know that even though John is fighting to escape that past, he is holding himself back from achieving that desire. He is refusing to realize the depth of his sins, and thus he cannot seek penitence for them. I dunno, just a thought.

Actual Endgame spoilers:

Also, I only just realized how appropriate playing "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie" during the scene at John's grave is. I never really listened to the lyrics and just thought it was put there because it was an archetypal Western song that had to do with being buried. Listening to it I realized how it's about a dying man who's last request is that they don't just bury him in the desert where he passed on and forget him, but to take him home and bury him next to his father. The people with him don't honor the wish, however, and make his gravesite on the "lone prairie."

What a perfect metaphor for John's attempt to escape the Old West lifestyle before eventually being consumed by it. I love it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well gently caress, just had my first crash in 25 hours of playing this game, right after the Mexico mission where you're betrayed by the army and Reyes saves you. And I mean right after, the cutscene ended with Marston walking away and voila - black screen and nothing.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

err posted:

So I beat the game, how am I supposed to get $10k for the achievement when I have only $2.5k now and still need to buy all the houses/guns for 100%?

You can make several hundred dollars a pop by doing bounties and taking them alive. I know some of them were upwards of $400 each for live captures. Also kill and skin everything you see animal-wise. Animal hearts and a surprising amount of feathers sell for quite a lot of money.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Zero Karizma posted:

Yeah, but it just seemed... I dunno extra sloppy that time. And it was meant to convey the entire atmosphere of the game.

I felt the same. It's a really awkward and unnatural exposition on the setting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What am I missing about Liar's Dice? It seems loving retarded. You're not calling anybody's bluff because everyone is really just guessing. We had a similar game called Bullshit, but it was based on cards. And that way when someone claimed they had something you COULD call their bluff because you could possible have, say, 3 aces and they say they have 2. Thus it wouldn't add up and you call bullshit.

However with Liar's Dice..anybody can have anything and it's not until it gets down to 1 or 2 dice a piece that you can really tell if anybody's lying. It's loving stupid.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ultimateforce posted:

MORE END GAME SPOILERS:

The funny man (I think that's what its called) delivery mission is interesting because the British guy tells you it took you a long time to deliver his opium (3 years), but the dude your father buys the prostitute from, when confronted, acts like you are the one who bought her freedom. Jack or whatever his name is even says he wants HIS money back.

Yeah, I basically did no side missions till after the ending.

It's fairly obvious that they only rewrote some of the stranger missions.

As much as i do like this game, i cant help but feel that it's rather shallow and fraught with minor annoyances.

The biggest of which (and which just killed me) is the weapons wheel and it's not pausing of the game. It's a minor inconvenience if you've only got 1 of each kind of weapons but it's a huge pain in the rear end if there's a cougar or a grizzly (or anything dangerous really) bearing down on you and you need to press the weapon wheel, rotate to the weapon type you want and then hit the d-pad to try finding the weapon you want all while the enemy is still bearing down on you quickly. I get that there's the pause menu weapon select, but that's a round about pain in the rear end and using that defeats the purpose of even haveing the weapon wheel. It's not a major game breaking gripe, but it's loving retarded none the less.

Then there's the content. Yeah, we've got a load of interesting story missions, but when it comes to activities, there really isnt that much. By the time you're out of armadillo, you've pretty much seen that majority of the variety of content in the game.

Hideouts are more or less the same all over the map. Picking flowers are more or less the same all over the map, bounties, jobs, shops, hijacks, fake hijacks, horse thieves, shop thieves, duels and so on and so forth are all the same all over the map. It's like one large settlement that's been stretched out into a world map by paddng the poo poo out of it with lots and lots and lots of desert.

Don't get me wrong, i liuke it and all because i like sandbox games, but there sure as hell isnt much that's going to compell me to replay all of this again.

Also, what's the deal with your ranch at the end. There is clearly poo poo set up for minigames like poker and horseshoes but there's nothing there. Was there some kind of plan for you to earn money and build up the ranch that was cut?

BonoMan posted:

What am I missing about Liar's Dice? It seems loving retarded. You're not calling anybody's bluff because everyone is really just guessing. We had a similar game called Bullshit, but it was based on cards. And that way when someone claimed they had something you COULD call their bluff because you could possible have, say, 3 aces and they say they have 2. Thus it wouldn't add up and you call bullshit.

However with Liar's Dice..anybody can have anything and it's not until it gets down to 1 or 2 dice a piece that you can really tell if anybody's lying. It's loving stupid.

It's actually the easiest of the games to win. You just have to play strategically and work out the odds. Each person has 5 die to begin with and each die has a 1/6 chance of being whatever number they've called. Look at your die then try and figure out if it sounds likely that their call is plausible.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2010

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I am really sad I missed the Mexico song. I watched it on Youtube but it's just not the same if you're not experiencing it. I got on the horse, but then got off and called mine since mine was faster. I guess that broke it?

I really should have paid more attention to the atmosphere and how magical the game was instead of treating it like just another game.

Hijacks, fake hijacks, shop thieves? What?

Greedish fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet
Not sure what happened to my game but the results are hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91rAUDVR60

• Locked thread