Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Rabble posted:

Anyone who plays this game on anything other than a surround sound system is missing out on probably the best part of the game. I used to play on just the TV speakers, but I turned on my reciever and it opened up a whole new level of awesomeness. Every sound in this game is perfect and really adds to the experience.

Especially if you're hunting, you can pick out the animals from their calls alone. If you hear some owls hooting, you can shoot and have them fly out of the tree they're sitting in. Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Harmonica posted:

Especially if you're hunting, you can pick out the animals from their calls alone. If you hear some owls hooting, you can shoot and have them fly out of the tree they're sitting in. Magic.

That's the only goddamn way I can shoot snakes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dumbest horse death: Call the horse and it runs into the water and drowns.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sounds like you led the horse to water and made him drink. :v:

I've done a similar thing. After getting the second treasure off the cliffs at Rio del Lobo, I walked down to the riverside, whistled, and my horse cheerfully charged off the top and died. I guess I have only myself to blame.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 28, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

dyzzy posted:

Sounds like you led the horse to water and made him drink. :v:

I've done a similar thing. After getting the second treasure off the cliffs at Rio del Lobo, I walked down to the riverside, whistled, and my horse cheerfully charged off the top and died. I guess I have only myself to blame.

:downsrim:

Water's pretty bad, but I still think the best/worst horse deaths are when you call your horse only to watch it careen off a cliff to try to get to you. At least it rolls down to you in the end :unsmith:

Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006
Jesus it took me an hour to skin five beaver pelts, this loving flight better be worth it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Spitshine posted:

Water's pretty bad, but I still think the best/worst horse deaths are when you call your horse only to watch it careen off a cliff to try to get to you.
Try watching your bounty-laden horse panic after being shot and dive off a cliff :pwn:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fracturus Cactusmas posted:

Jesus it took me an hour to skin five beaver pelts, this loving flight better be worth it
I had problems getting them too. For me the best thing was to go near the cabin on Aurora Basin and just run up and down the coast.

EDIT: What really makes the horse drowning is that it just stands there for a minute,underwater, before keeling over.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

Accidentally shooting your horse in the head while getting attacked by wolves, then getting compaints from your quest companion because you need to get back on your horse.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Calling for the horse only for it to casually walk in front of an oncoming train. Bonus points if it was your 16th mission with it.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Cat Machine posted:

Try watching your bounty-laden horse panic after being shot and dive off a cliff :pwn:

Similarly, laying hogtied bounties random people on the backs of random horses, and then firing shots into the air causing the horses to panic and flee/fall off cliffs is hilarious. Bye bye! :haw:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

William Pahllace posted:

Awesome spoiler tags you gently caress. Everyone here has been so good about spoilering stuff to make the game really enjoyable for those of us who are taking our sweet rear end time and then, here comes you...

What exactly did i spoil fucktard? The ranch that the main character says he has and continually talks about from the beginning of game or the fact that this game is very very vacant of varying content?

edit: threw it in spoilers for people who arent paying attention to the game they're playing.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Rabble posted:

Accidentally shooting your horse in the head while getting attacked by wolves, then getting compaints from your quest companion because you need to get back on your horse.

This, but with a harmless rabbit instead of wolves. :downsgun:

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

err posted:

Calling for the horse only for it to casually walk in front of an oncoming train. Bonus points if it was your 16th mission with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfzcTi52dvU

edit: topical content at the end, in case it seems like an out-of-context video

Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 28, 2010

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

2 quick questions since I just got the game and haven't seen them mentioned in this thread

1. How do you shoot over something when in cover? The cover tutorial went by too fast and I couldn't read all the controls. Like if i m behind some crates how do I just raise my gun over it to shot? I have seen a bunch of people do this in multiplayer

2 Is there a lockon tartget control? Or is it all free roaming targeting?
Thanks.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Heh, little easter egg/reference, Butter Bridge is a reference to a similarly named bridge in Super Mario World.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
You can't swim, or pick up hookers. But you CAN lasso a nun, drag her behind a horse through the mud, tie her up and leave her for dead on the train tracks. :what:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kin posted:

What exactly did i spoil fucktard? The ranch that the main character says he has and continually talks about from the beginning of game or the fact that this game is very very vacant of varying content?

edit: threw it in spoilers for people who arent paying attention to the game they're playing.
Although he talks about his past throughout the game, I think it's fair that someone would be annoyed to find out prematurely that in the end, he does return to a happy family life (albeit for like 2 days).

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Lugubrious posted:

edit: topical content at the end, in case it seems like an out-of-context video

Oh don't worry. Youtube commenters ruined the punchline as usual.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Nerolus posted:

You can't swim, or pick up hookers. But you CAN lasso a nun, drag her behind a horse through the mud, tie her up and leave her for dead on the train tracks. :what:

Even better, they give you a trophy/achievement for doing it.

Whoever recommended The Proposition as a movie to watch, thanks, I just watched it on Netflix and god drat, what a great movie.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

TheRealLuquado posted:

1. How do you shoot over something when in cover? The cover tutorial went by too fast and I couldn't read all the controls. Like if i m behind some crates how do I just raise my gun over it to shot? I have seen a bunch of people do this in multiplayer

In single player you just pull LT to pop up and aim over crates/logs etc.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

TheRealLuquado posted:

2 quick questions since I just got the game and haven't seen them mentioned in this thread

Thanks.

L2 is the answer to both of these.
e: f;b

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

TheRealLuquado posted:

Thanks.

1. Just press the shoot button, not the aim button. On PS3, R2 in stead of first pressing L2.

EDIT: Seems like I'm wrong. Read the posts above me.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Even better, they give you a trophy/achievement for doing it.

I was so surprised by that. Some woman ripped me off my horse in the middle of nowhere, so I got pissed off, chased her down, rode for the tracks while yelling "That was loving funny, wasn't it? You wanna see something REALLY funny?"

Horse Thief goes on the tracks.
Trains on the tracks.
Our train.

Muhuhahahaha--*BU-DUP!* Wait... really?

Rockstar actually gave us the mythical "points for killing women."

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cat Machine posted:

Although he talks about his past throughout the game, I think it's fair that someone would be annoyed to find out prematurely that in the end, he does return to a happy family life (albeit for like 2 days).

Only a loving idiot would be annoyed about finding out about something the game has been beating you over the head with since you're first rescued by Bonnie.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kin posted:

Only a loving idiot would be annoyed about finding out about something the game has been beating you over the head with since you're first rescued by Bonnie.
It's established early on in the story that John owned a ranch and aspires to return to it. It's never made obvious that he WILL return to the ranch. As the story progresses, it becomes less clear whether he'll actually succeed and adds a nice degree of dramatic tension to the story. It isn't a huge spoiler or anything, but you are diffusing an element of dramatic tension from the story.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Timeless Appeal posted:

God no. I was in armadillo and I was killing everybody for fun and I had a like 1000$ bounty. So I kill all the marshals on one side of town and as they're catching up to me on foot I call my horse. Well it runs alongside me and stops in the middle of the train tracks. As I am mounting it a train comes and blindsides the loving horse, it explodes, I am knocked sprawling like thirty feet away on the ground, where I am shot to death. I had no clue the train was about to come. I would've been pissed if it wasn't such an amazing occurrence.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Speaking of trains, I've discovered that playing chicken with them is a fun unofficial minigame.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I haven't beaten the game yet. This morning I was reading about the "I Know You" stranger quest and read here that you must complete the quest before completing the game. Because of this, I went to the Red Dead Wiki linked in the op to make sure that I wasn't missing any piece of it.

Behold, the wiki is filled with spoilers. :(

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.
Wolves should be re-skinned to look like big bags of money, once you find a wolfpack just stay and keep killing/skinning until you get bored, as they seem to just keep respawning more. You don't even have to get off your horse, just stampede their asses in a full gallop, it may take 2-3 passes but it prevents getting jumped after a skinning cutscene. $15 a pelt, $18 a heart, and $11 or 12 per steak, in almost never-ending waves...cha-ching!

Also, I've found that while mounted if you park your horse over a corpse so that you are standing on it once you dismount, you can insta-skin stuff, I think the fact that the horse is so close makes the game skip the cutscene.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was in an online Shootout and was taking cover behind some crates while pinned down from 2 guys who only spoke French.
We were taking a couple of potshots at each other but nothing came of it. Finally, I whistle for my horse and it comes trotting over.

One of the frenchmen, I guess trying to be a dick, pops up to attempt to kill my horse and gets perforated for his troubles. :smug:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I was out in Mexico last night and I must have ran into about 30 wolves in the span of five minutes. No lie, everywhere I went there were 5-wolf packs and they were all loving PISSED at me for some reason.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Digital Scumbag posted:

One of the frenchmen, I guess trying to be a dick, pops up to attempt to kill my horse and gets perforated for his troubles. :smug:

Reminds me of one of my favorite David Lynch short films:

The Cowboy and the Frenchman

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Bear Heart: $36
Decimating gang hideouts with the Buffalo Rifle: Priceless

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Kin posted:

Spoiler tags, jackass, I had no idea I was playing a game!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I honestly don't get everyone's complaints about public free roam sessions. I've done around 9 and haven't been bothered once. Last night I sat around in blackwater for about 5 minutes waiting for the sun to rise so I could do the "ride to Escalera" achievement, rode past at least 5 people on the way there, and nothing happened.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
I love the fact that you can butcher raccoons and skunks for meat but the only thing of value you can get from a dead chicken is a handful of feathers.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Emron posted:

I honestly don't get everyone's complaints about public free roam sessions. I've done around 9 and haven't been bothered once. Last night I sat around in blackwater for about 5 minutes waiting for the sun to rise so I could do the "ride to Escalera" achievement, rode past at least 5 people on the way there, and nothing happened.

My first game ever, half the free roam was lvl 1s who had no idea what to do, the other half were doing their own thing. Except one guy. One guy sat behind the spawnpoint in Pike's Basin (apparently there's only one place to spawn at the beginning of the mission) and just shot everyone who spawned in the head.

Individually, we weren't able to do a thing.

This caused us to band together and become an 8-person posse, and we dominated the rest of the free-roam.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Emron posted:

Public Free Roams can be judged within 1 minute of entering. If the kill feed is going at a decent rate, then it's gonna be horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The easiest way to get a free ride on a public free roam sesh is just to invite loads of people to your posse when you connect. It's usually a shaky alliance, but it can get about half the lobby off your back. Just don't get embroiled in a pointless gang war like I did last night. Couldn't leave Blackwater for half an hour. :(

• Locked thread