Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So in the last thread someone mentioned finding what looked like the Flux Capacitor in a random shed.

1) Was this bullshit?
2) If not, where the hell is this shed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
So how many of you have kidnapped a rich looking woman (obviously the governor's daughter), hogtied her, and put her on the train tracks to see if she got rescued before the train came? Not enough I think!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alright so I'm a bit retarded in terms of finding things I guess. Where's Tumbleweed and Twin Rocks, and how early can I get there? I want me a new pistol dangit

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ugh Sharpshooter Rank 10 is gonna be horrible.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dickeye posted:

Alright so I'm a bit retarded in terms of finding things I guess. Where's Tumbleweed and Twin Rocks, and how early can I get there? I want me a new pistol dangit

Twin Rocks is almost directly north of Armadillo, and you'll find Tumbleweed as part of the storyline, it's where you go on the Marshall's last mission to stop Bonnie from being hung.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

KingShiro posted:

Public Free Roams can be judged within 1 minute of entering. If the kill feed is going at a decent rate, then it's gonna be horrid.

There were two posses that were doing each hideout at the same time and just warring with each other while doing the hideouts, so the kill feed was always going, but they let the individual people do their own thing. Maybe I'm just lucky with my experiences so far.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Tumbleweed won't unlock as a gang hideout until you pass a certain point in the story. Twin rocks is north of Armadillo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cat Machine posted:

Tumbleweed won't unlock as a gang hideout until you pass a certain point in the story. Twin rocks is north of Armadillo.

Sweetness

Latroc
Mar 22, 2004
Repent!

It's been mentioned a few times but nothing definitive was said. Will the conclusion of the "I Know You" stranger missions be obvious or, if not, can somebody give a non-spoilerific hint regarding it? I don't want to somehow finish the game without completing it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Keep waiting for Seth to squeal about his precious

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Prague posted:

It's been mentioned a few times but nothing definitive was said. Will the conclusion of the "I Know You" stranger missions be obvious or, if not, can somebody give a non-spoilerific hint regarding it? I don't want to somehow finish the game without completing it.

edit: i'm wrong, never mind.

blippyblop fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 28, 2010

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Prague posted:

When you finish it, the game will tell you in the popup "you likely won't hear from him again." Also, when you open up your journal, it tells you which stranger quests are not complete. Ones that have more to go and can't be activated at this point in time say "inactive" next to them. Completed ones don't show in the list at all.

Latroc
Mar 22, 2004
Repent!

Good to know. Thanks much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Between the hunting and the wagon riding, does this game make anyone else want to play oregon trail?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mexico: No ninja cougars. Hope you enjoy giant roaming wolf armies.

While dicking around south of Escalera I must have pegged the random encounter generator, because I had no less than fifteen wolves attack me at once. Usually I ignore wolf barks because my horse is fast enough to outrun them, but this time they took down ol' Saddlebritches. Alright, it's on! I pull out my semi-auto shotgun and dead-eye half the fuckers to death. I clear out a good circle around me and I'm feeling confident until I fall over with a bloody red screen. I'm still alive, but I had unknowingly made my stand while standing on a rattlesnake. I take aim to do away with the rattler... and am promptly struck again by the second rattlesnake on which I had fallen.

How does the world repay this untimely death? Right before the screen blacks out, a man runs up to the dying body to plead in Spanish for Marsten to save his horse.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Danger Mahoney posted:

Mexico: No ninja cougars. Hope you enjoy giant roaming wolf armies.

Not true! While the big song was playing there were at LEAST 3 cougars on top of one of those mountains.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think my cheat system got hosed. Before it was easy as hell to keep the arrow from going to far to the left or right, but now, whenever I even activate cheating in poker, I get called out right away. All I want to do is cheat at cards and now every hand I play I'm getting duel challeneged. :(

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Though the music is decent in this game it leaves a bit to be desired. If there's one thing memorable from old western movies is the music, especially from Ennio Morricone. The two times when music with lyrics popped up really broke the atmosphere for me. The singing was too "modern" for the game's era and even if the lyrics were fitting, the song itself didn't fit into the game.

I was hoping for more of stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKhQ8ObQ7E

Even the opening splash screen feels like a tribute to Harmonica, I felt like there were moments that could have given a few more nods to Morricone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How far north do I need to be riding to find Twin Rocks? I can't go much further without riding up the train tracks/finding a trail up the cliff

e: nvm

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Baby Cakes posted:

Though the music is decent in this game it leaves a bit to be desired. If there's one thing memorable from old western movies is the music, especially from Ennio Morricone. The two times when music with lyrics popped up really broke the atmosphere for me. The singing was too "modern" for the game's era and even if the lyrics were fitting, the song itself didn't fit into the game.

Even the opening splash screen feels like a tribute to Harmonica, I felt like there were moments that could have given a few more nods to Morricone.

I know I'm bitching up a storm here today for a game I love, but I agree. I don't get all the praise for this soundtrack. It's okay, but not exactly thrilling.

Fortunately, I ALWAYS have a cherry-picked playlist of Morricone OST songs on my HD. (It worked wonders for Far Cry 2.)

Riding across the desert to The Ecstasy of Gold is always the coolest poo poo ever.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

KingShiro posted:

Buffalo Rifle

How do you actually get this? I've got all of the other rare weapons, but whenever I go into a shop where they have the buffalo rifle it's marked as unavailable.

Minor spoiler (not really, but some bitch will likely throw a fit if it isn't in spoiler tags) regarding some late-game hunting: Do I have to kill all of the buffalo to unlock it?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

You have to reach Master Hunter rank 5 (kill 2 cougars with a knife) then it will be available in all shops. You can get the thing before you even get to Mexico.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

How do you actually get this? I've got all of the other rare weapons, but whenever I go into a shop where they have the buffalo rifle it's marked as unavailable.

Minor spoiler (not really, but some bitch will likely throw a fit if it isn't in spoiler tags) regarding some late-game hunting: Do I have to kill all of the buffalo to unlock it?

You get it for completing the master hunter rank 5 challenge. It will then become available in shops.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
sorry for my dumb questions-ifigure if I faq anything I'll get a ton of spilers thrown at me that I want to avoid

when people are talking about the flowerpickin and sharpshooting ranks, do you get anything fr doing those? I assume it's an outfit unlock and no more

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, I've tried to get the Dastardly Achievement for 360 twice now and both times I've been apparently denied :gonk:

Does it have anything to do with the Bandanna? I've attempted it with one on and with it off but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If it wasn't for the fact that I need to get ahead of the train whenever I want to do this I'd give it a third shot before asking, but gently caress it. So if anyone else has nabbed this one, please, share your secret.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm trying to be good and not kill people, I want a duster dammit

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, I've tried to get the Dastardly Achievement for 360 twice now and both times I've been apparently denied :gonk:

Does it have anything to do with the Bandanna? I've attempted it with one on and with it off but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If it wasn't for the fact that I need to get ahead of the train whenever I want to do this I'd give it a third shot before asking, but gently caress it. So if anyone else has nabbed this one, please, share your secret.

1. Hogtie lady
2. Look for the trains next stop
3. Put lady on tracks in front of stopped train
4. Train leaves, smushes lady.
5. Achievement.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

when people are talking about the flowerpickin and sharpshooting ranks, do you get anything fr doing those? I assume it's an outfit unlock and no more

Correct. Mastering the challenges goes towards getting the Legend of the West costume for Marston which cranks your Dead Eye Meter up.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

KingShiro posted:

1. Hogtie lady
2. Look for the trains next stop
3. Put lady on tracks in front of stopped train
4. Train leaves, smushes lady.
5. Achievement.

:bang:

Been there, done that. Step 5 is completely eluding me. I'll give it a third shot I suppose.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

ShowTime posted:

Awesome, thanks dudes.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

AndyElusive posted:

First I usually just fast travel a little in front of the train, you can see both of them on your map (one doesn't show up until you unlock Blackwater I think). THEN find someone to lasso up and put on the tracks. Also on PS here, no problems with the trophy, dunno if it's a glitch in the game or what.

I finally got my black stallion in Tall Trees, I kept getting so excited in Mexico but everyone was an emaciated poor knock off of the American standard.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Baby Cakes posted:

This game is so much better than Red Dead Revolver that it's almost insulting to even compare the two, but I will say that Red Dead Revolver had a pretty pretty rad opening theme.

Also, although cougars are super annoying throughout most of the game, they just do not want to show themselves when you need them for the hunting challenge. I've completed basically all of Mexico and I haven't seen one single cougar. I know they're less plentiful down there, but drat, I'd have expected to be attacked at least once by now.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Today I was ambushed on my way to Manzanita Post to sell some hides. Upon entering Tall Trees a bear came up from behind and knocked me off my horse; I turned around to shoot him and nearly panicked when I saw not one, not two, but five bears hell bent on avenging one of their brothers whom I shot earlier. Of course John Marston ain't afraid of no bear-posses so I put a bullet through each of their dumb bear brains in a single dead-eye. Was a nice boost to my wallet.

I also encountered an odd glitch while screwing around in Blackwater. I had invincibility enabled and decided to go kamikaze on the chaps playing blackjack in the saloon so I took out a stick of dynamite and strolled up to their table. The stick exploded, and suddenly I found myself mysteriously on the saloon's rooftop. Later on I discovered a less fun glitch where I somehow ran out of dynamite with infinite ammo enabled, which left Marston stuck holding an invisible stick in aiming mode and unable to switch weapons. Had to reload to fix that one.

Every now and then I encounter someone in free roam at rank 50 with the final legendary unlocks. Am I correct in my assumption that these people cheated? Doesn't seem believable that someone could have legitimately attained rank 50 several times over when the game has only been out for ~10 days.

fibblins fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 28, 2010

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
^^ Welcome to the miracles of USB saving and console-side MP save files.

AndyElusive posted:

:bang:

Been there, done that. Step 5 is completely eluding me. I'll give it a third shot I suppose.

Take her down the track a ways so the train can hit her with a full head of steam.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've completed basically all of Mexico and I haven't seen one single cougar. I know they're less plentiful down there, but drat, I'd have expected to be attacked at least once by now.

You're pretty much safe in Mexico...lures you into a false sense of security because they are every where in the next portion of the game. And bears.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Asked this in the other thread, but lost track of it when this one appeared. :iiam:

Is there much point in replaying the game as the opposite 'alignment' once you've completed it once already?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Correct. Mastering the challenges goes towards getting the Legend of the West costume for Marston which cranks your Dead Eye Meter up.

Well there's that, but each challenge also gives you special benefits at ranks 5 and 10. Going from memory, they are:

Survivalist Rank 5 - survival maps last 40 minutes, not 20. Rank 10 - picking flowers gives you a tonic which refills your deadeye (like chewing tobacco).
Hunter Rank 5 - Buffalo Rifle. Rank 10 - skinning animals gives you a something which refills your health (like medicine)
Sharpshooter Rank 5 - Deadeye lasts longer. Rank 10 - Deadeye lasts longer still
Treasure Hunter Rank 5 - Stagecoach fast travel is free. Rank 10 - you can hold twice as many consumable items (10 instead of 5).

Most of them are pretty underwhelming honestly. Some of the Rank 10s are pretty cool I guess but you get them so late in the game that they don't matter much. The Buffalo Rifle is really the only one worth writing home about in my opinion.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
^^^ Oh you motherfucker

AndyElusive posted:

And each one also has two bonuses:

Sharpshooter 5: Ammo capacity for all guns (stacks with the Bandolier).
Sharpshooter 10: The Dead Eye refill from killing enemies increases.
Survivalist 5: Survivalist Maps last 40 minutes of 20.
Survivalist 10: You can make Tonic from harvested plants (works just like Chewing Tobacco and Snake Oil).
Master Hunter 5: Unlocks the Buffalo Rifle for purchase.
Master Hunter 10: You can make Vittles by skinning animals (works like Medicine).
Treasure Hunter 5: Stagecoach rides are free.
Treasure Hunter 10: +150 Fame, and doubles carrying capacity for all items.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
If I'm allowed to complain about one little thing: The treasure map is poo poo.

I spent at least an hour trying to find the rocks that I could see in the map but couldn't find anything like it. I knew I was in the right location, but nothing matched.
I guess the ''II'' thing on the map is like a zoomed in drawing of the actual location?

Stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

AndyElusive posted:

I just was at the train station in new austin and the train pulled up, stopped. I proceeded to hogtie a woman and lay her directly in front of the train, and blamo acheivement so try again dude
and you have to lay her across the tracks im pretty sure (A la Dudley do right)

• Locked thread