Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Marston went to the movies in Blackwater. While he was watching up from the balcony he got a hankerin for a smoke, so he lit one up and casually tossed the match on the floor. Once he was done enjoying his fine tobacco, he flicked the butt over the balcony.

And I couldn't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Marton's Peggy Hill spanish gets better the angrier he gets.

JOHN!
MARSTON!
REMEMBER MI NOM-BRAY!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ShowTime posted:

If you begin to lean one way, use the stick to move the other way. That's all there is to it. You want to stay centered on the horse. Also it's not about leaning forwards or backwards, all you need to concentrate on is how the character is moving side to side.

I just watch Marston's boots and lean in the direction of the one that's the highest up. He also apparently starts hollering if he's about to fall, but he hollers a lot when breaking a horse.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Finally got the Unnatural Selection achievement.

Goddamn ducks, man.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fuzz posted:

Near water. I don't think they ever land, though, they only fly around. Just listen for quacks.

I never saw one take off while I was around Lake Don Julio, so I just shot at everything I saw in the air until the achievement unlocked.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Regarding the endgame, I've got John back at the Ranch with my family and I am purposefully avoiding the Jack or Uncle missions until I accomplish as much as I can with John. Because I played as him, dammit. He oughta earn those outfits. He ought to get those achievements.

And I want to give John just that much more quality time with his family. Wake up one morning, say howdy to everyone on the ranch, ride off to shoot elk, ride down to Mexico and sell, finish up some bounty hunts in Chuparosa... then come home to his family. And promise Jack he's never going away again.
:smith:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Bolt-Action rifle also gibs the smaller critters. Even some of the smaller birds.

That's a job for the revolver.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ez posted:

That's another thing that bugged me about the ending. I know it was mentioned on the last page but it's really annoying that they give you the dead eye effect to shoot at the gang that kills you. You can't survive, you can't really do anything but take out a couple guys that does nothing. It's really cruel to make you think you can make a difference, but it's just false hope.

Well, I figure it's a nod to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They're hopelessly outnumbered with no chance of escape. There's nothing else to do but go out shooting. Although I really hoped I could've hit Ross' sidekick if I couldn't get Ross right then.

Ross calmly lighting his cigar while John gasps his last breaths is an incredible shot. It makes Jack's "okay, now I'm done" reaction to his revenge feel more hollow. In this story, the good guy wins eventually but the bad guy gets the satisfaction.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Crappy Jack posted:

Except you can't call it a win at all.

I see your point, and I can agree with you that Ross wins. The three years in between have given him success and happiness. Jack spent those three years mourning his father, trying to keep the ranch afloat, and finally setting off for himself once his mother dies. It sounds pretty drat miserable.

But even if Jack does not get the "win", he does achieve his goal of revenge. It's the one story-related goal that the game gives him, but the victory is hollow. Ok, yeah, there's the satisfaction of blowing Ross' head apart and sending him into the river, frontier justice served, but once it's done, Jack has nothing. (Except for his dad's money. And any pelts and meat his dad had on him the day of the attack, still fresh after 3 years. And the ranch and the horses and okay, I'll stop.)

This is where the main storyline leaves Jack: at the head of a trail with a mighty big world ahead. And all he's gained is the satisfaction of settling a debt. He got what he wanted, but where does he go now? Who does he turn to? Is Bonnie still available?

I'm glad it's a hollow victory for Jack. I'm glad the bad guy prospers and is ready when time comes for retribution. It is a great way to end an epic.

And I'm also glad John Marston got the chance to go out, guns a-blazin. The story has two very different endings and I liked that.

(Sorry for all the spoiler text thar.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Cat Machine posted:

gently caress yes, the Master Hunter outfit will motivate me to 100% this game

Hunting in Tall Trees just became even more of a giant moneymaker. That's a good enough apology for me. Just wish I had something to spend it on.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

muscles like this? posted:

The one where they want you to drive their wagon? Yeah, it's kind of weird though since they're not really that far from town and bandits attack you for some reason.

I found a camp of NPCs in Tall Trees who started talking about how they better be careful with all this dynamite they had. I watched them from a distance and a few seconds later, the camp just explodes and the two guys go flying.

I laughed like mad. Sorry pardners, but you just wasn't careful enough for the Ooold West.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I love the short scene after some missions where Marston stands there and chills for a moment with a cigarette. That's nice atmosphere.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Endgame nonsense: I got fed up with playing as Jack after hunting in bear country and Bullet the Wonder Horse died. Managed to hold out on foot against four bears but when that no-horse timer ran out, it was Go Time. Jack whistled and in comes a new Bullet the Wonder Horse, who runs right up to Jack's side so he can jump on and make a getaway. And what does Jack say to his faithful, loyal steed as he spurs his father's beloved Bullet on to freedom? "C'mon, work, you old nag!"

Fellow's got to respect his horse, that's all. I wish you could feed it an apple when walking with it. Here you go, old friend.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Lao Tsu posted:

I kinda expected obvious homages like The Good The Bad and The Ugly seeing as all the GTA games were full of em. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Freeing a hanging man by shooting the rope might not be original to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, but that's what I think of every time I get that random encounter. (And the hanging rescue mission.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Survivalist Mission 10 is bugging me:

You don't need to do them in any particular order, but this was the way I did it:

Collect the 10 while you're in Tall Trees, then take a leisurely ride down to Escalara via Plainview, collecting everything else that you need on the way. (You may need to go to Chuparosa instead to finish up the Mexico requirements. I forget which place spawns what herbs.)

Once you've satisfied the challenge requirement, you can sell the out-of-area stuff you collected for a nice price.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I loving love the stats this game keeps.

Total distance hogtied victim dragged: 7,841.21 feet. Oh but didn't we have fun on the railroad track that day.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mr E posted:

Awesome, even more fun with this game will now be had.

HERBERT MOOOOOOOON should be more appreciative of all the work I do to ensure his shoplifters come back after a nice drag through as many cactus patches as possible.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Well, I just got the Redeemed achievement. Those fifty-two hours were some of the best I've spent gaming in quite a long time and like others in the thread, this is one of the first games I've felt compelled to 100%. Most of the collecting was fun, the bounty hunting great, and for the most part even the hunting was fun. The only part I didn't like was going after skunks, to be honest, but even that was quickly done. Knifing a goddamn bear was a real adventure.

The best part was clearing the Blackwater poker table for the US Army uniform and getting the 2000 chip win achievement at the same time. Only one person was at the table because I'd either shot or scared the other guys away. You'd think he'd have caught on after I got called out for cheating a second time. Thanks for the chips, amigo.

Now I don't know what to do with J. Marston, FBI Agent, though his bowler hat is quite dapper.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Carbohydrates posted:

YOU are ALL... MUERTO!

REMEMBER mi NOME-BRAY!

Gets me every single time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3: Deeds are infinite. That means when a cougar rapes your horse, and it will happen.. you can just go into your inventory and activate the deed (just like taking medicine or using chewing tobacco) and it will save your game and activate the horse. Wait a few mins and then whistle and the new horse will come trotting up.

The best part of this that the autosave lets you keep everything you've hunted and harvested if you get horribly mauled to death. The very first thing I do, after a bear kills my horse and I quickly stumble up to kill him in deadeye (you can usually nail him head-on as he turns around for a second charge) is summon a new horse and grab that autosave. That way I can keep everything I've collected when I'm slaughtered by the other bears around the corner.

The best part is when you actually survive and make a stand, fending off a wave or two on foot, as you wait through the horse summoning delay. Then finally you whistle and up runs Bullet the Wonder Horse and you hop on and ride and it's all pretty drat :clint:

Also, the bolt-action rifle is surprisingly good for close range bear headshots in deadeye.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The achievement/trophy Have Gun Will travel is probably a reference to the show of the same name. I think I'm the only person other than my Dad that has even watched that show, so you guys probably aren't as stoked about it as I am.

You aren't the only ones. That was one of the best TV westerns of its time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

GenoCanSing posted:

I've never experienced this level of lunacy on live. Is this something that happens a lot in other games? He thinks someone who kills him ONE TIME should be banned?! Outside of affecting my "rep", does any of this mean anything?

It doesn't mean anything other than "Welcome to the wonderful world of Xbox Live pubbies."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Darth Brooks posted:

Screw you, I'm playing as Irish and I'm playing drunk if possible.

I don't think I'll be playing anyone else but Nigel West Dickens.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

He wouldn't do it normally.

But if it meant selling some of his snake oil, he would armwrestle a cougar. So it just adds to his character.

I am looking forward to dashing out in front of the zombies as soon as the poo poo hits the fan in MP and launching into a snake oil spiel. "Hold your fire, lads! I sense an opportunity to do business with these fine undead citizens of, uh, whichever hideout we're in!"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Tonight's super fun in Free Roam involved taking MacDougal over to Thieves Landing for a coked-up tomahawk rampage. There was good ol' Harold, running around screaming "I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND YOU!!" and chopping up everyone he sees.

Cocaine is a hilarious mistress.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Don't forget the awesome thing about the good ending is that John Marston is visited by the Mysterious Stranger, who then gives him immortality so when his woman and kid die by cholera, he continues on. His redemption is time to fight and lead humanity into a better peace, one not defined by the federal government.

Yes, it's all good philosophically, but the absolute best part is the cool-rear end Model T you finally get to drive.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Daeren posted:

Shoot them in the face with a shotgun, then charge them on horseback and swing your knife like crazy. If they're not dead, turn around and charge again.

Several body shots from a weaker pistol will hurt a bear enough that it eventually turns tail and runs away. Then you can just chase it down with the knife.

While dodging the five other bears who have come to the rescue of their pal, of course.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Spitshine posted:

This is how I feel about bobcats. Bobcats are so drat cute in this game, because they're reeeeaaallly curious, and I always react thinking they're cougars at first. But then the little pint-sized bobcats ALWAYS come within about fifteen feet of me, and they just look at me. It's like me and the bobcat are giving each other the stink eye and waiting to see what the other's going to do. They never attack, they just run up and look at me and then scamper off. I love them :3:

If you've got Liars & Cheats, pay a visit to Roca de Madera in Free Roam and watch how cute they can be when they swarm like motherfuckers.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I've had the "take me back to town please!" random mission a few times now in Undead Nightmare. It's funniest when I'm riding War.

:byodood: HELP MISTER YOU GOTTA GET ME TO SAFETY
:clint: Sure, friend. We all gotta help each other out. Here, hop on the back of my flaming deathsteed.
:supaburn: (flames clipping through his rear end) I'D HAVE BEEN A GONER BACK THERE IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

fennesz posted:

Get off of your horse and walk around for a while, they're all over the loving place. Either that or turn up your speakers; you can hear their rattle really far away.

Your horse is a very good snake detector too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Nathilus posted:

AUGH my loving 360 just shut down and gave me four red lights about an hour after I decided to do another playthrough of the main game. gently caress. poo poo. It's a second generation so it's not unexpected but dammit that doesn't make it hurt less. These things still cost 300 loving bucks.

If it's showing four red lights, your AV cable is probably just disconnected. Unplug and re-connect everything and try again. It's three red lights that are the sign of death. Unless you meant three lights originally in which case I feel bad for ya, son.

• Locked thread